Topic: I see the Servers! Joined, then CTD (snif)  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Space Oddity

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Allmost Configured
    • Woody's Blogshack
I see the Servers! Joined, then CTD (snif)
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:58:36 am »
Hi, I think I pasted this in the wrong thread, this forum seems more appropriate.

It’s been a long time since I tried getting any of my D2 games current with the gaming community.  In fact, I think the last time I played on a dynaverse server, Interplay and Canada West were hosting among others.  I have been following some of the dialog in the forums just to monitor the progress of the community in taking over and preserving the dynaverse game.

Congratulations on your success, and a hearty “thank you” for helping it to survive.  I’m an old gamer, but by no means a developer.  So, I can only appreciate what you’ve achieved in baffled amazement.  Since I haven’t played in so long, I suppose I’ll have to put the “noob” hat on again.  I’ve just got to get back into D2!

The Forge sounds like a great server to try.

A few years ago, I followed my D2 hunger pangs through a variety of threads related to the “How To” section (thanks for consolidating this).  Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my router configured to work.

Recently, I tried following the “short version” in the “How To” section . . .and success! (well, sort of)  I could at least see the servers listed after logging into Game Spy.  The Forge was there, as promised.

I use a D-link 610+, and my Cable Company insists that I use a dynamic IP address to receive service; but, after configuring the virtual server screen to allow traffic over the listed ports, and enabling the DMZ . . .I am convinced that the “router issue” is solved.  Otherwise I could not see the servers, right?

So then I try to join The Forge . . . a very brief count begins in a dialog box “1, 2, . .” then Crash to Desktop.  It happens so fast that I can’t read anything else.

The only thing I haven’t tried installing is the OP stability tool.  Do you think that could be it?

(I’m just excited that I finally got to see the servers after all of this time)

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again.
Logic is a bunch of pretty flowers that smell BAD.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: I see the Servers! Joined, then CTD (snif)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 08:07:39 pm »
Try posting this in the engineering section. I did once when I had tech issues and got the help I needed. Unfortunately, our resident wonder tech, Bonk, is away for an extended period of time, so one of the knowledgeable people in that area of the forum might be able to help you.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: I see the Servers! Joined, then CTD (snif)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 01:30:22 pm »
Ensure the shortcut is correct, (copy StarfleetOP.exe to the desktop as a shortcut and use it to launch the game) and try updating your video drivers if they are outdated. Let us know if you're still stuck.