Topic: Dial Up Question  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Dial Up Question
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 10:35:13 am »
Here's something on topic, but off topic as well.  There are some portions of the US in the Utah and Nevada deserts that have NO DSL or cable.  In fact it's either satellite or dial-up for your provider.  Cellphones won't work in certain areas either since they have no Cell phone antennas (don't know what those points are called, but big antennas which receive and send cellphone signals, is it a hub?) either, so normally one has to use a normal phone...especially in the middle of the Mountains.  I suppose that also includes parts of Colorado as well.  The Mountains block a lot of the signals.  With satellite if you're in the wrong spot (especially in a valley) it can disrupt a lot of the signals and make satellite useless as well.

Unfortunately when I go there for visits either to see it in the summer, or ski in the winter in those areas, I can't access some sites because dial-up just takes forever to access them.

Luckily I'm not on dial-up most of the time though. 

Of course at school, it's annoying because even if I'm on a really fast line, I'm so busy the only internet surfing I seem to do is for research.

:(
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 10:40:53 am »
More than 10 minutes on the phone is a waste of time... ;)

Cordless phones are not going to affect a wireless router (probably not at all) in the same way they could affect dial-up. Their affecting dial-up has nothing to do with being cordless actually, it has to do with an excessive number of cheap devices being plugged into the phone line, drawing power and introducing noise.

I would agree, wireless internet is for the birds, its not going to maintain a stable connection under any circumstances. No matter what. Trying to maintain remote Desktop/VNC sessions would be desperately frustrating.

Oh, it seems that a cordless phone DOES affect the adaptor card (receiver of router signal) even if they're not supposed to.  In fact, there has been a marginal improvement since the nearby cordless phone got unplugged.

Cordless phones are a good thing for the physically challenged, other than that I have no time for the goddamn phone at all.

For the rest of us, it makes the attempt to "multiplex" a little easier too!

Gaming is a better, more healthy use of an internet connection than spewing hateful poitical bile over and over and over for years at time which nobody cares about anyway and is doing nothing for you... At least gaming is fun, that is what this website is about despite what some may think.

:'(  Ouch!  That hurt!  Ow!  Ow!  Ow!    ::)  ;)  :rofl:

And well... you probably wouldn't accept kids who temporarily swiped Dad's plastic to play SFC online!  All you guys who shoot plasma, hellbores, disruptors... well, you're all grown men and women... at least I think most of you are; I'll bet some of you DID swipe your Daddy's card while he snoozed and slipped it back before he woke.  And I use the resources of your website to enhance or update my standalone play of my four SFC versions (due to HD issues, I only have SFC1 up and running minimally... but give me a couple of decades; I'll get all four running with the latest models and missions and... <and the camera backs away as Linus continues to harangue Charlie Brown... {insert lively cool jazz}> )

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:22 am »
Its a good thing I am a only child then :D ... I will try those experiments tonight.

Not a laptop, this is a 4 year old Gateway Desktop computer.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 06:33:52 pm »
Oh, it seems that a cordless phone DOES affect the adaptor card (receiver of router signal) even if they're not supposed to.  In fact, there has been a marginal improvement since the nearby cordless phone got unplugged.

Since both cordless phones and 802.11b/g operates on 2.4 ghz, they can and do interfere with each other on occasion. Even microwave ovens have been known to interfere with router signals.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 09:22:51 am »
Testing finished.. BEFORE: 36.0 Kbps on average After removing the phones: 49.6 Kbps .. I removed the phone causing the slow down for good, so its back up to normal pretty much :D

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 11:50:50 am »

Since both cordless phones and 802.11b/g operates on 2.4 ghz, they can and do interfere with each other on occasion. Even microwave ovens have been known to interfere with router signals.

Yes, I am aware of that possibility, heck even a vacuum cleaner or TV or air conditioner...etc. could interfere. But in this case the interaction would have been on the wired phone circuit itself as there is no wireless router involved. Wireless is completely unreliable, dont even get me started... heck, even UTP is substandard to coax, but laziness, cost and "user friendlyness" wins out over quality every time in this world, sigh....

(Check this post out: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163368540.msg1122726814.html#msg1122726814)

Testing finished.. BEFORE: 36.0 Kbps on average After removing the phones: 49.6 Kbps .. I removed the phone causing the slow down for good, so its back up to normal pretty much :D

* Bonk Pats self on back

As expected, usually just one cheap or badly made phone can do it, all it takes is one leaky capacitor... Good job on tracking it down.  :thumbsup:

49.6 Kbps is pretty much the max you'll see on most phone lines.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 12:01:42 pm »

Yes, I am aware of that possibility, heck even a vacuum cleaner or TV or air conditioner...etc. could interfere. But in this case the interaction would have been on the wired phone circuit itself as there is no wireless router involved. Wireless is completely unreliable, dont even get me started... heck, even UTP is substandard to coax, but laziness, cost and "user friendlyness" wins out over quality every time in this world, sigh....

(Check this post out: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163368540.msg1122726814.html#msg1122726814)

* Bonk Pats self on back

As expected, usually just one cheap or badly made phone can do it, all it takes is one leaky capacitor... Good job on tracking it down.  :thumbsup:

It can be worse.  I had 512K line-of-sight wireless at my old house because it was my only "high speed" option.  I thought it was bad.  It's not available at my new house and I had to go satellite.  Holy crap is it bad!  It downloads files quickly, but the latency makes even opening a web page about the same as dial-up.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 12:19:48 pm »
Dial-up latency is superior to satellite by about a factor of two. Typical ping times on dial-up are ~200-400ms. Typical ping times on satellite are ~500-1000ms. Dial-up can be used for multiplayer gaming (depending on the game and traffic type) where it is just not feasible on satellite service.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:23:59 pm »
* Bonk Pats self on back

As expected, usually just one cheap or badly made phone can do it, all it takes is one leaky capacitor... Good job on tracking it down. 

I have actually gotten 56 Kbps before ;) that was back about 4 years ago though now the highest I usually get is 53.2 Kbps

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 06:51:05 pm »
You're pretty much at the mercy of the lines on the pole as anything you could possibly do inside won't affect your connection speed one way or the other.  At my house the most I ever got was 50.6, lowest was 14.4 (very stormy night with the power out and the laptop on battery) but the average was 46.6.  Without fail it would drop below 40 whenever it rained, I think one of the phone boxes on my street has a leak in it.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 07:36:39 pm »
You're pretty much at the mercy of the lines on the pole

Yes, (FCC power limit) but...

anything you could possibly do inside won't affect your connection speed one way or the other.

Definitely not the case, I'm pretty sure we've just proved otherwise here.

If I remove "The Stick" I am using here to power and isolate a fax and other phones, my connection speed will drop from 31.2 Kbps to 19.2 Kbps. Excessive devices or really cheap devices on the circuit inside the house will definitely affect things.

As a former instumental analytical chemist I know signal to noise issues and their many sources far better than I would care to recall.

You can definitely adversely affect your connection speed by what you do with the circuit inside the house.

In case you don't believe me:

Anything connected to your phone line, as well as the integrity of your phone wiring can affect your modem.

http://modemsite.com/56k/demarc.asp

http://modemsite.com/56k/trouble.asp

http://productsandservice.aliant.net/PS/nb/english/helpandsupport/hs_display.jsp?section=81&subsection=1&bodycont=helpandsupport%2fhtml%2flocalps1_4_howto_7.html&curbody=81_4

http://www.free-dialup.net/free-dialup-uk-articles/best-dialup-uk.html

http://www.csa-intl.org/onlinestore/GetCatalogDrillDown.asp?Parent=187

http://www.it.cmich.edu/faq/faq_network_dialup.asp#disconnect

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html

http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9809/msg00011.html

etc. etc. etc...

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 11:39:54 pm »
Or you can get a V92 mdm. I doubles the compression of the packets.

They are faster then the V90.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 02:56:29 pm »
So far I am averaging 49.2 Kbps and DLes are running a little bit faster :)

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 09:55:22 am »
Humm.. well it seems that the major storm last night dropped my connection back down to the 30's.. hopefullly it will fix back up in a day or two(and it isnt my phones causing the problem since I unplugged then all and still am not getting a speed above 36 Kbps.... :/

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 09:27:20 am »
Don't feel bad.. squirrels have gotten into my attic and bitten some phone wires.  I have to re-run the entire system.  While I am at it I am installing a patch panel, since the previous installation simply ran the same wire from room-to-room, which is a very bad way to install a phone system.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:59 pm »
We have to call the phone repair people every fall because mice will get into the phone box down the street and chew up all the wires trying to make themselves a home.  So it's more common than people think.