Topic: UFOP Falcon class scout WIP.....  (Read 21327 times)

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
Re: UFOP Falcon class scout WIP.....
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2006, 03:07:38 am »
Lol. someone doesnt like it if my Karma keeps dropping. I dont mind the negative Karma, but I would prefer the negative comment to go along with it so I can make corrections. The whole reason I post here is to hear critiques of the work.

So, if you dont like the model, you can give me a negative Karma if you want, but also tell me why please.
Never let your ego think or act for you..........me.

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2006, 01:58:22 pm »
Lol. someone doesnt like it if my Karma keeps dropping. I dont mind the negative Karma, but I would prefer the negative comment to go along with it so I can make corrections. The whole reason I post here is to hear critiques of the work.

So, if you dont like the model, you can give me a negative Karma if you want, but also tell me why please.

I like the new hanger deck! +1 Karma from me :)

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Imagination - the best renewable energy source.
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2006, 03:43:05 pm »
Most Excellent RN! I don't know how I missed this thread until now.

Looks like the Federation finally applied some of the Klingon knowledge from the alliance to a starship design.

BTW - the design/mesh is incredible, second to none -- and your texturing skills are excellent. What disapoints you has me fired up! Thanks for the hard work!

I can't wait for the next update and release so I can add her to my fleet.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2006, 09:00:33 pm »
It looks great, Raven. All of that small detail's just gonna "fuzz out" though when you pan out, isn't it? Might actually make it look worse than if it wasn't there. It's a lot of real goos work though, don't get me wrong.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2006, 12:22:23 pm »
Yea, I was thinking about that....the way I do the details is two ways....at distance and close up. The reason close up is important in some games is because you are very close to the ship when you use it...like in BC. In SFC this wont matter so much unless you zoom in. By adding the dark patterns on the top hull, however, the detail there should even set it apart at distance, and of course the red deflector will be a dead giveaway.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:05 pm »
Ok, due to some strong suggestions about sep mode for this ship, as well as concerns over the proper application of damage textures, I have decided to create a proposal for this ship in sep mode.

It was very difficult to turn this ship into a sep ship. First, the ships shape was not condusive to hide two warp nacelles in the lower sep ship. I tried creating nacelles that would fit in the two "tails" on the back of the dorsal sep module, but its angle made that almost impossible. So I decided to just give the "tails" a warp plasma vent. The lower ship would not have a bussard ramscoop.

My second problem was getting both sep ships to look acceptable in form and function. I couldnt just flatten out the bottom of the ventral set ship....the head on the ship is already thin as it is, and thinning it out even more looked very strange. So, I created an indentation that the bottom of the ventral ships hull would sit in....this of course created a deep set of walls and a trench on the dorsal sep ship, but I think it still works.

Here is a quick and dirty example of what the ship would look like seperated. Note, the mini-deflector on the ventral hull is not illuminated, and neither are the warp vents on the dorsal ship. This is just a few pics to give you an idea how it would look.

intermech

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:10 pm »
You really don't need buzzards and warp nacells on the "saucer" section. Since it is a marine transport, the saucer section is only used to land the marines on the planet and act prehaps as a planet side base of operation. It makes me think of the droid control ships in Attack of the Clones, or the Vulcan warp shuttle. I like what you have depicted here, might be fun to put some drop-open hatches on either side of the saucer for the marines to run out of.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:35 pm »
Ok, I could do that....so should I remove the tails from the saucer then, and attach them to the dorsal hull instead?

intermech

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2006, 02:44:53 pm »
No, No, keep the tails. Say that they add "atmospheric stability;" essentially adding to the overall lifting body shape of the saucer. Additionally, this may be a little bit over the top, but I like the regression at the top of the saucer when it is separated giving a sort of palisade to shield marines on top to defend from a ground assault. I am imagining a fort when the saucer of the ship is sitting on the ground. YOu could even have a ramp between the tails for ground vehicles.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2006, 11:24:25 pm »
I could put marks on the hull for that, something like the pallets on DS9

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2006, 08:08:53 pm »
RN you are rockin my virtual world! Drop ship idea was an awesome suggestion and you've execued it fantastically. Textures are coming along very nicely as well. Good job!

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2006, 12:41:34 pm »
I'm glad you like it, I will tweak the sep design and move on from there, but I have to work the mesh first before I continue with the textures.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2006, 12:54:10 am »
Here's 2 ideas for ya..........

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2006, 01:24:33 am »
Yea, that little part you highlighted on the dorsal sep is the secondary deflector...I just havent lit it up yet. I could add cannons on the nose of the dorsal hull, but I wanted to avoid phaser strips if I could. Perhaps phaser emitters, like those on the connie/miranda?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2006, 12:25:57 pm »
Yea, that little part you highlighted on the dorsal sep is the secondary deflector...I just havent lit it up yet. I could add cannons on the nose of the dorsal hull, but I wanted to avoid phaser strips if I could. Perhaps phaser emitters, like those on the connie/miranda?

You could go with a gatlin style turret like on the Defiant.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline admiral horton

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Deviantart
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2006, 03:10:18 am »
i really like this design i do hope that you will add phaser strips and torpedo
launchers,i cant wait for the finish model
there are great starship designs and there is crap

Check out my orthographic views at
http://admiral-horton.deviantart.com/

Offline Shadowfleet

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Shadows Wars
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2007, 03:06:35 pm »
Raven, can you give us an update on your progress?

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2007, 09:02:59 pm »
excuse me while I BUMP in...

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2007, 03:02:57 am »
Ok, right now im at a stumbling point with this one, mainly because I am debating whether or not I should put this back as a single hull ship. I like the sep, but I think I would like it to be one ship only. Opinions are welcomed...

Offline Raven Night

• Modeler
  • Lt.
  • Models - Textures
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007, 06:00:13 pm »
So is that a vote against the sep? That would actually be good...im leaning against it myself.