Topic: IE 7 has been released  (Read 7248 times)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
IE 7 has been released
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:39:50 pm »
It was released last night. I guess there has already been a hole found.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
Re: IE 7 has been released
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 05:02:58 am »
I have been using IE7 beta 3 for a while and really have like it :) .. I think I will stick with my current beta 3 version for now since there really is no reason for me to upgrade to the official release.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:32 am »
It was released last night. I guess there has already been a hole found.

Already??!?  My gosh those hackers sure didn't waste any time did they??!?  Thanks for the tip though, I'll download it tonight when I get time...  and get my other computer issues figured out.   ::)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
I don't know, I went ahead and grabbed it last night, and IT might just be me not giving it time, But Firefox still seems abit faster and cleaner for me personaly. I know It might be how they handle cached websites, but loading the same site over and over, FF still seems abit faster and crisper to me.

Maybe I just need to give IE more time. BTW, does IE 7.0 use .png correctly now?

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:12:27 pm »
IE7 loads everything almost instantly for me.. even on Dial Up :)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:47 pm »
It's possible, IT might be the Sattelite Con, that I use. Like I said, I'll give it some more time. I don enjoy that they are using tabbed Browsing again, and the one headache that FF gave me was fixing that damn " ' " or " / " opens the find window when posting. Even turning it off didn't work that well.

I am glad to hear that it works fast on dial up though, IT gives me an excuse to grab a few more HD's and tell the wife, that my current drives, are slowing down the internet for everyone, so I need to upgrade to larger and faster ones.  ;D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:03:14 pm »
About the IE 7 defect.

Link to full article

These reports are technically inaccurate: the issue concerned in these reports is not in Internet Explorer 7 (or any other version) at all. Rather, it is in a different Windows component, specifically a component in Outlook Express. While these reports use Internet Explorer as a vector the vulnerability itself is in Outlook Express.

It appears not to be in IE7.  Unfortunately due to Microsofts "integration" of components into the OS rather than just bundling them together you can't uninstall OE to avoid the bug.  One of my pet beefs with Microsoft.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 10:01:35 am »
I don't know, I went ahead and grabbed it last night, and IT might just be me not giving it time, But Firefox still seems abit faster and cleaner for me personaly. I know It might be how they handle cached websites, but loading the same site over and over, FF still seems abit faster and crisper to me.

Maybe I just need to give IE more time. BTW, does IE 7.0 use .png correctly now?

stephen

I know that I am still using firefox. and I just can't see me switching back to IE for regular use. I still have to use it for some pages and Windows update of course. I just thought that I'd let peole know that it is out there.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Sarek

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 11:12:18 am »
What dissappoints me is that I was hoping they would make IE CSS compliant but apparently they didn't so web designers have to go through all sorts of gyrations to create a page viewable by IE and FF.  Typical MS, use their market share and non-standard practices to shut out competitors.
Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.  – John Adams (1814)

www.lp.org

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:15 am »
About the IE 7 defect.

Link to full article

These reports are technically inaccurate: the issue concerned in these reports is not in Internet Explorer 7 (or any other version) at all. Rather, it is in a different Windows component, specifically a component in Outlook Express. While these reports use Internet Explorer as a vector the vulnerability itself is in Outlook Express.

It appears not to be in IE7. Unfortunately due to Microsofts "integration" of components into the OS rather than just bundling them together you can't uninstall OE to avoid the bug. One of my pet beefs with Microsoft.

Luckily my Outlook Express is about as disabled as I could make it, and I use a different e-mail software for my e-mail(as well I use webmail systems also).. I never did like OE.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 06:02:54 pm »
Luckily my Outlook Express is about as disabled as I could make it, and I use a different e-mail software for my e-mail(as well I use webmail systems also).. I never did like OE.

The fact that you can't uninstall it (or IE or Messenger or Media player etc) is among the things I don't like about the way Windows has gone.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 09:31:35 pm »
I've gotten as close to uninstalling it as possible I think..
I have it were OE cant even be open without a error(which then causes a total failular of OE crashing back to the desktop), and many DLL files it needs are altered to the point, where unless I really need OE again, its gone from my computer.. anyone that trys to exploit OE probably will get a big error on the other end, unless I reinstall it with the files I backed up on 2 floppies just incase, which wont be happening in the foreseeable future for me :)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 11:05:55 am »
Looks like they're still on IE 5 for the Mac.  It's not like we miss MS as a browser though.  IE crashes as often as Windows does, and when you're on a Mac you notice more :p
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 08:41:27 pm »
Looks like they're still on IE 5 for the Mac.  It's not like we miss MS as a browser though.  IE crashes as often as Windows does, and when you're on a Mac you notice more :p

Once Netscape went down so did the IE for other Operating Systems.  They used to make an IE for Unix that worked on Linux.  Of course that left the hole that Firefox is filling so ably and Microsoft is probably kicking themselves now for dropping support.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:20:39 am »
Reasons not to upgrade to IE7.  Link to full article

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 11:10:42 am »
I loved #3.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 11:33:49 am »
lol.. well #9 will apply to Vista's anti-piracy restrictions anyway LOL

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 10:30:10 pm »
Looks just like Firefox.  Is that all Microsoft knows how to do?  Rip-off other people's ideas?

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 09:54:12 am »
Looks just like Firefox.  Is that all Microsoft knows how to do?  Rip-off other people's ideas?

I've repeatedly asked people who support Microsoft and claim that Microsoft innovates to name an innovation.  They never have responded with a valid innovation by Microsoft.  It is always something they copied or bought.

I have found two myself that I believe they did innovate - Clippy (descended from MS Bob) and software activation.  When I have had to work with MS Office I've always turned off Clippy as it is an annoyance to me not an aid.  I refuse to use software requiring activation.  So neither innovation helps me personally as a consumer.

Anyone else know of any other Microsoft innovation?  Or evidence that these two were copied/bought from the actual innovators?

About the only reason to install Vista
What Vista does for you.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 10:51:31 am »
I seem to recall one thing that Firefox ripped from IE7 was session resuming or something. it is where you have tabs open and you can set it to return to those pages when you open up the browser again or after an update has been installed and it needs to restart.

Then again, I might be thinking about something else.