Topic: Anybody else had problems with the new MSN messenger?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
Anybody else had problems with the new MSN messenger?
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:30:55 pm »
They do not call it MSN messenger anymore, it's "Windows live messenger" and IMHO it sucks, I had more page lock ups and errors since installing it, and now that I dumped it and cleaned the P/C of that trash not one single lockup or long time accessing a page, I have warp speed again!

Just wondering how many blokes tried it already, and if you have, do you like it?

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Anybody else had problems with the new MSN messenger?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
Yes, but only after installing the Vista appearance pack for XP.  Apart from not going within 3 menu-bar-widths of the top of the screen, I've had no problem with it.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:53:08 pm »
Yahoo and MSN and even Google gaggle want to invade our screens.  >:(

Thanks for the info Max, I think MSN can wait as I was with yahoo for over 10 years and never had a problem.

You mean Vista wants to invade our XP programs now? Thanks bill Gates! Not!  >:(

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »
I use Windows Live Messenger all the time.  I don't really have any more problems using it than when it was still known as MSN Messenger.  The only thing I hate about the damned thing is that I can't send messages to people not on my list.  I know there's a way, but everytime I try, it doesn't work, so I usually have to add someone to my list first before I can even send them a message.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 11:45:34 am »
Yes, but only after installing the Vista appearance pack for XP.  Apart from not going within 3 menu-bar-widths of the top of the screen, I've had no problem with it.

May I ask where you got the Vista appearance pack for XP?
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:21:49 pm »
Sure!

Oh, You just did, here ya go:

http://www.windowsxlive.net/?p=115

So far I haven't seen any bugs and it looks just like Vista except the non-moddable XP things like System Properties and stuff like that.  Friggin rocks, best of both worlds!
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:10:29 pm »
Do I have to have one of the Windows Skinning software packages to use this or do I just download it and install it?
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 02:25:22 pm »
I got rid of it and sometimes I still get a locked up page, grrrrrrrrr. This only happened AFTER I even messed around with the "New" MSN/Windows messenger.

I'm not a happy camper. Maybe it's time to find my P/C's master disk and just redo the whole thing. That was one thing I loved about my old trusty VAIO, 30 minutes later after using the reformat master disks it was like right out of the factory.  ;)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 06:01:19 pm »
Download and install, but to clarify, the Vista appearance pack *is* skinning software.  All it is is a Vista skin for XP.  Vista's screensavers don't work with XP, Which sucks since they all rock.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 06:29:46 pm »
yeah. i already got it and installed it. so far it isn't too bad. I like the translucent window borders and such. the only thing that I don't like is that I prefer the background to be black but every time I restart it changes it back to the blue. I"ve yet to find a way to get it to not do that.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 07:57:08 pm »
I've noticed its behavior isn't consistent.  My own machine loads two instances of the sidebar every startup and there's nothing I can do about it, but I put it on someone else's and it works perfectly.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 08:59:41 pm »
Bill Gates needs to watch Fergie and chill!

Thanks Max, I'll try it.  :)

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 06:20:16 am »
I hate messenger programs.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 10:59:30 am »
Last few versions of MSN Messenger have run like crap for me, seem to have problems when i sign in and the program sometimes freezes.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:39:57 pm »
Yeah, MSN would be ok if it would ever bloody connect.  And that's a PC and MAC issue, so I think MSN's servers just suck.

I'll stick with Yahoo and AIM, even though I have an English friend who's on MSN.  It's really troublesome trying to talk to someone when you're both dropping at random  >:(

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 03:46:43 pm »
I just use Trillian and skip all those different programs.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 09:26:47 am »
On that note, I'm sure MSN's servers suck and not the program itself since there's a program called Fire that does the same thing on the Mac that Trillian does on the PC and even that can't get MSN to work properly.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 04:37:13 pm »
On that note, I'm sure MSN's servers suck and not the program itself since there's a program called Fire that does the same thing on the Mac that Trillian does on the PC and even that can't get MSN to work properly.

to be fair, I don't use the MSN connection much but I don't seem to have trouble logging on to the server. I am hoping that the new version of Trillian, Trillian Astra, will be a good as the hype they are putting out about it.