Topic: The iPhone- personally, it sounds like a waste of money  (Read 8568 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
The iPhone- personally, it sounds like a waste of money
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:33:11 pm »
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734842-7.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Pricing for iPhone service released
Posted by Marguerite Reardon
AT&T on Tuesday announced pricing plans for the Apple iPhone, which will go on sale Friday, June 29.

All plans include unlimited e-mail and mobile Web surfing and 200 text messages a month. For $60 a month, users get 450 minutes of talk time. For $80 a month, they get 900 minutes of talk time. And for $100 a month, they can talk for 1,350 minutes.

Subscribers will have to sign a two-year contract with AT&T to get the iPhone, and there will be a one-time activation fee of $36.

The companies also said that users will be able to activate their iPhone using Apple's iTunes software on a Mac or PC. Once the device is activated, users can synch it just like they do an iPod to access music, videos and other files on their computer.

The iPhone goes on sale at 6 p.m. local time in Apple and AT&T retail locations throughout the country. The phone comes in two versions: the 4 gigabyte version will sell for $499 and the 8GB version will cost $599.

I'm an Apple man, always have been, most likely always will be, but this is a waste of money.  500-600 bucks for the phone, no discounts, no subsidy over your contract.  $36 for activation, you can't use a SIM card or anything else to simply begin using it, locked into a data plan with a device that has built in Wi-Fi ( why the hell would I want to use a data plan when I can simply log into a coffee shop or some other free Wi-Fi joint instead and have faster data transfer?).  Also, you are locked in to a 2 year contract with $175 cancellation fee, even though the typical reason for this (subsidizing the cost of the phone) doesn't apply here. 
Also, I heard on CNET to expect new chips out from TI at the end of the year that will make the iPhone an outdated piece of junk in 6 months time.  So much for being a decade ahead of its time.
I don't know why they would make such a dumb ass move, but even as a die hard apple afficionado, I say this is a waste of cash.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: The iPhone- personally, it sounds like a waste of money
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »
Everything is always obsolete in six months. But I agree.

I have to admit, I was abit of a luddite when it comes to phones. I recently upgraded to one of those flipphones with GPS on it. That little sucker is awesome.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:13 am »
I thought it looked really cool until I saw they're only allowing them on AT&T's network.

If it won't work on Verizon they can cram the iPhone's silky smoothness up their collective arses.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:05:01 pm »
I thought it looked really cool until I saw they're only allowing them on AT&T's network.

If it won't work on Verizon they can cram the iPhone's silky smoothness up their collective arses.

Yeah, truth be told, I've never heard anything good about AT&T service.  I was pretty upset when Cingular was bought up by them.  If I had known that would happen I would have never signed up with Cingular to begin with.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 01:54:21 am »
And why would a phone not work on another carrier's system?  It's not like it's Federation and Klingon tech!  Even PCs and Macs can talk to each other for cryin' out loud!
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:07:35 am »
And why would a phone not work on another carrier's system?  It's not like it's Federation and Klingon tech!  Even PCs and Macs can talk to each other for cryin' out loud!

Is that a retorical question?  My understanding is that this is intentionally done.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:49 am »
No doubt business decision.

If this is popular despite being AT&T only (and using the slower band-not 3G), expect new negotiations with the other carriers before long...

This is a typical Apple product: nothing really technologically new...just packaged & engineered such that it's easy to use and gorgeous...

Apple put a lot of effort into this. And remember: it's only rev 1.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:35:32 am »
A few more thoughts on the iPhone- it's completely unusable unless you have it activated and are in a contract with AT&T, with the lowest priced plan starting at $59.99.  That means, once everything is taken into consideration, this phone actually will cost you, at a bare minimum $1,974.76 before taxes and fees you pay for your service and on the actual product.  The next model up would be $2,074.76. 
That second one is actually more than I paid for my iBook, which I upgraded at purchase, with accessories and 3 year warranty.  Just a thought.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:15:15 am »
Not mentioned here but perhaps implied is that the IPhone doesn't do anything new.  One has long been able to browse the web, play music, take photos, etc on existing Pocket-PC based phones.  Also the web features that the IPhone offers are actually running on a cell network with inferior speed and coverage.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:19:11 am »
A few more thoughts on the iPhone- it's completely unusable unless you have it activated and are in a contract with AT&T, with the lowest priced plan starting at $59.99.  That means, once everything is taken into consideration, this phone actually will cost you, at a bare minimum $1,974.76 before taxes and fees you pay for your service and on the actual product.  The next model up would be $2,074.76. 
That second one is actually more than I paid for my iBook, which I upgraded at purchase, with accessories and 3 year warranty.  Just a thought.

By the same logic, you need to add to the cost of your laptop the fees you pay to your ISP for internet access....

Yes, the iPhone is expensive. However, the required calling plan is no different for the iPhone than any other AT&T phone/plan with the same network access requirements.

With a two-year contract, monthly charges will run from $60 for 450 minutes to $100 for 1,350 minutes. That includes unlimited data (e-mail and Web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, AT&T roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calls.  There’s also a one-time activation fee of $36. These prices are in line with what business people pay for their monthly smartphone service. It’s somewhat steep for the average caller.

FYI: My BB cost me (Verizon) ~$100/month and the BB itself was $450 at time of purchase...

and the "it doesn't do anything new" argument misses the point.

What Apple product does anything "new"???
 iPod?
iTunes?
iMac?
iPhone?

You can always find competing products that can "do the same thing".

My 99 Chrysler does the "same things" as my neighbor's BMW, but I covet his.....
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:55:13 am »
I daho.

Stephen jumping in on this conversation agreeing with Death Merchant.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:31 pm »

By the same logic, you need to add to the cost of your laptop the fees you pay to your ISP for internet access....

Yes, the iPhone is expensive. However, the required calling plan is no different for the iPhone than any other AT&T phone/plan with the same network access requirements.

With a two-year contract, monthly charges will run from $60 for 450 minutes to $100 for 1,350 minutes. That includes unlimited data (e-mail and Web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, AT&T roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calls.  There’s also a one-time activation fee of $36. These prices are in line with what business people pay for their monthly smartphone service. It’s somewhat steep for the average caller.

FYI: My BB cost me (Verizon) ~$100/month and the BB itself was $450 at time of purchase...

The iPhone is however being touted as a consumer product, not a business one.  Not all of us want the data package that AT&T forces you to use- we'd rather realy on local hotspots for internet connectivity, either for cost or performance reasons.  And no, I don't need to include internet fees for my laptop- the laptop works and always has worked without the internet, the iPhone, however, does not work without an active contract with AT&T- even the non-cell phone services require you to have an active contract with AT&T.
The iPhone itself is a wonderful piece of equipment, and I do have techno lust over it, however, the overall costs and contractual agreement trumps that, IMHO, making it crap.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 12:36:40 pm »
I don't know, Like most small gadgets, I'd be afraid I'd break them with my clumsy hands.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »
I don't know, Like most small gadgets, I'd be afraid I'd break them with my clumsy hands.

Stephen

either that or you would try to use them as a blunt instrument to beat a guy down the next time they shoot at you.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 01:57:28 pm »

Stephen

either that or you would try to use them as a blunt instrument to beat a guy down the next time they shoot at you.

LOL, can they be set to overcharge, and blow up? God Waldo, That got me laughing again. Can't do that many more times, The spirits willing but the body keeps breaking Down. :D

Stephen

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 02:35:03 pm »

Stephen

So then, I guess you must have your wife always hadle captain winky for you?   ;D
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 02:54:43 pm »
Hell that damn thing hasn't worked either. For a long long time. Except to get me out of bed and go pee about a jazillion times a night. Hmm. Might need more asians, heck there eyes are closer to the parts. J/K.

Stephen

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 03:35:38 pm »
Hmm. Might need more asians, heck there eyes are closer to the parts. J/K.

Stephen

That would be one reason I like them so much...   ;D
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 09:44:13 am »
A few more thoughts on the iPhone- it's completely unusable unless you have it activated and are in a contract with AT&T, with the lowest priced plan starting at $59.99.  That means, once everything is taken into consideration, this phone actually will cost you, at a bare minimum $1,974.76 before taxes and fees you pay for your service and on the actual product.  The next model up would be $2,074.76

I have to disagree as the laptop functions without an internet account whereas the iPhone apparently does not. 

If you absolutely must have internet access for the laptop you can choose any conventional form of internet access at a variety of rates that offer various features to fit your budget and needs.  With the iPhone you are restricted by Apple and AT&T as to your connection types.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."