Topic: This just in: how does one build a saucer? find out tonight on FoaS 9!  (Read 4677 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
-=bad synth trumpet jingle=-
Tonight, learn how to build yourself a saucer with phaser strips with 3ds Max. (versions 5 and up, i think).

http://www.symphonyinrgb.com/downloads.htm

Enjoy ^_^
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Anthony Scott

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Off chasing a lunatic 8 year old :D:P
 :)

Thanks FOAS. Good work!

Semper Fi, Carry On
"No enemy can ever completely defeat you. A physical enemy can take your land, your gold, your property. But in order to be defeated uttelry only you can allow that. The human heart can only be crushed from within, not without."- The Dalai Lama

My art blog:
http://anthdigiart.blogspot.com/
My Deviant Art page:
http://anthsco.deviantart.com/
Resident forum history junkie.

"An intelligent man must sometimes get drunk to spend time with fools."
                      -Ernest Hemingway

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Excellent tutorial. However I couldn't find a "Bridge" button in 3ds Max 5. Any plugin for that?

Also, is it possible to get that "Zeroer" script that you had in the tutorial? :D
// Darkthunder

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Bridge might have been one of those things added in max 6 or 7 or something, I really don't know - I just know the Max version I use.

The Zeroer Script is really easy.
In a new maxscript put this.

Code: [Select]
macroScript SyRGBZeroer
Category:"Symphony Tools"
Tooltip:"Zeroer"
buttontext:"Zeroer"
(
on execute do
(
if $ !=undefined then
(
$.pos = [0,0,0]
$.rotation = eulerangles 0 0 0
)
else
(
messagebox "Please select an object"
)
)
)
Run that script and save it under your UI/Macroscripts directory. Load it into the toolbar or a quad menu and enjoy.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
Awesome thanks.

Any chance of more modelling tutorials like this one? Perhaps for like... stardrives, nacelles etc?
// Darkthunder

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Awesome thanks.

Any chance of more modelling tutorials like this one? Perhaps for like... stardrives, nacelles etc?

I dunno, I've never really tried to model either one, lol.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
how about max 3?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Yes because they decided to take a major feature that was in max 3 out of max 5 but put it back in for max 9....
Max 3 doesn't even have editable poly mode.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
lack of editable poly mode...is that nessecary for this tut?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
to use the bridging method? yeah. I dunno about the extrude edges method for phaser strips. like i said, i use 9, i know whats in that, im not sure whats in other versions.
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Yes because they decided to take a major feature that was in max 3 out of max 5 but put it back in for max 9....

Maybe missing something, but I edit polies all the time.. it's one of the ways that I kitbash.  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Alec, i think what you are talking about is the polygon mode of the Edit Mesh system. it sits right next to vertex, edge, and element mode, yes?

What I am talking about is a newer system that Autodesk made in order to better handle quad-based meshes (which are better at meshsmoothing). It's basically a rewrite of the Edit Mesh system. It sits right along side the Edit Mesh, Edit Patch, and -=shiver=- NURBS. I don't know why they went with overlapping terminology, but its annoying.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander

Maybe missing something, but I edit polies all the time.. it's one of the ways that I kitbash.  ;)

Atleast you have a clue. I wouldn't know my *** from a hole half the time. Soon as I finish this trek novel I need to get back to the lib I'll hafta give this a shot.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: This just in: how does one build a saucer? find out tonight on FoaS 9!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:08 am »
Hey FOAS.  This is great!!!!  I thought building a saucer was more difficult than that.  Hopefully your tutorial will help me out with what I want to do when it comes to updating some of my previous bashes and maybe help me finish one that's been on the drawing board for such a long time.

What utilities/plugins do you use when working on meshes?  Such as that PolyBoost 3.0.  That's a separate utility isn't it?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
Yeah, polyboost is a seperate utility. You can get the demo if you google it, but the full version is expensive. all the stuff i do in polyboost can be done in normal edit poly, but it would just take a tad longer.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:43 am »
is there a way I can download this tut? I tried my youtube downloader which sometimes works elsewhere but it wont grab the flv.

Offline AsYlUm

• Follow the white rabbit
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 09:05:52 am »
Alec, i think what you are talking about is the polygon mode of the Edit Mesh system. it sits right next to vertex, edge, and element mode, yes?

What I am talking about is a newer system that Autodesk made in order to better handle quad-based meshes (which are better at meshsmoothing). It's basically a rewrite of the Edit Mesh system. It sits right along side the Edit Mesh, Edit Patch, and -=shiver=- NURBS. I don't know why they went with overlapping terminology, but its annoying.

:laugh:

that tickled me.. great tut by the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3YBxBlR5E         <-- gagarin video

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 01:27:43 pm »
FOAS, what happened to the tutorial?  I went to review it again, and it was gone.   :'(
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:48:10 am »
Site went down, I'm afraid.
Hosting coped out.
New domain is up, but i haven't uploaded the site yet.
The new site probably won't have the video on it, just because of bandwidth and diskspace size.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 01:28:52 pm »
I can host the vid on bcfiles