Topic: #11: White Rabbits  (Read 18658 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: #11: White Rabbits
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:41 pm »
Good story Guv. Not much to comment on really, right now. A few speeling mistooks... "creek" (river area) instead of "creak" (squeaky noise) for example. Some good, steady relationship and character development happening at the speed of life instead of the speed of plot (massive amounts of gold stars for that, my friend).
I feel sad for Davenport/Tolin, and for Chevy/Andrea.
One possible fluff: You have the narration and ANya call the world "New Plymouth" (possibly another car reference), but Chevy calls it "New Prov", which seems to me to be short for "New Providence". Care to clarify?

A couple of really great lines that made me smile:
“I don’t really like coffee.” He admitted. “I just drink it for caffeine and the crap I pour into it.”
and:
“Hey,” the helmsman held up a semi-threatening finger, then lowered it. “I don’t have a good come-back. But when I do, I’m gonna let you have it.”
;D ;D ;D

Also like the shadow on Ford's horizon - possibly being watched from the sailboat. Nice edge of hinted-at-but-not-actually-present danger in the otherwise-idyllic scene.
On a final point, I like that you actually explain while not explaining all the wacky decisions being made on 23. ChSFOps Sharp still there running things to make sure "his" boys get what they need. "His" boys wanting Endeavour back and the entirely uneconomical and inefficient wish getting the go-ahead, stuff like that. There's no explanation, but it's mentioned and so we realise you're including these points in your consideration and not just unaware of them. Good job.

Looking forward to more.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:16 pm »

One possible fluff: You have the narration and ANya call the world "New Plymouth" (possibly another car reference), but Chevy calls it "New Prov", which seems to me to be short for "New Providence". Care to clarify?

Sorry...thought I'd fixed all those... I'll have to go back through it and JUST look for those mistakes... I think they even make it into other stories... The intended name was New Providence, as a mention of the Colony wiped out in TNG's 'Best of Both Worlds'. Though, honestly, the Encyclopedia says that said colony possessed only 900 inhabitants... Mine's a lot bigger...

On a final point, I like that you actually explain while not explaining all the wacky decisions being made on 23. ChSFOps Sharp still there running things to make sure "his" boys get what they need. "His" boys wanting Endeavour back and the entirely uneconomical and inefficient wish getting the go-ahead, stuff like that. There's no explanation, but it's mentioned and so we realise you're including these points in your consideration and not just unaware of them. Good job.

Looking forward to more.

I thiank you very much sir. My misspellings, I must admit, come from writing so fast that I'm not looking at the screen, but at the keyboard to avoid hitting totally unintended keys. Thus, if the spell checker doesn't realize it's misspelled, and I don't catch it while editting and Andy-proofing, than it remains. Oh well. I've seen worse make it into print.

For a man who says 'not much to comment on yet', you do a fair job. Thanks for the comments. Like I said, you're among the foremost I wait for.

And now, without further a-do... ;D

CH. 4

The rain had been a short one. Ford sat in a booth facing the window in the small Tydurian restaurant in the center of Treasure City. The streets were still moist from the tropical downpour and hover vehicles were sloshing water up onto the sidewalks. Some carried umbrellas as they walked to and fro amid the picturesque township and its antique stone buildings.

The colonists of New Providence had known they were sitting on a gold mine when they’d opened their world up to the tourist trade. This sector and those bordering it weren’t the most heavily populated among the Federation, but this world sat alongside three major trade routes. That meant transport vessels came through at regular intervals servicing the forty or so colonies and Starfleet installations in the surrounding area. It also meant patrol and exploration ships coming in for leave. There was a great deal of money to be made.

Even in an economy that didn’t operate on traditional ‘money’, the profits in owning and running a tourist based business in any city or township on this planet meant loads of usable revenue. Federation credits meant that your business took care of its expenses and then some. And the influx of other, less traceable means of payment; latinum, platinum, gold; meant a person could become inordinately wealthy in a short amount of time. Good business owners spread the wealth far and wide, breeding more and more opportunities.

Ford pondered the idea of someday settling here, maybe opening some little shop or something to keep busy in his retirement days. What would he sell? Starfleet memorabilia? Charge ten credits or a slip of latinum to pet the former Starfleet commodore? Replicas of his ship…

There were opportunities. He could make a good living on this world in addition to his Fleet pension. Add to that his enormous savings. And then there was Anya. He wasn’t so deluded or dream-struck to think that a real, long lasting relationship was likely with a woman like her. She was just enamoured with his life as a Starfleet officer. He tickled some kind of fancy she sported for men in the uniform. For the time being, he was happy to take advantage of her wonder-lust. Nothing real would come of it. But she could still be a good friend.

Ford looked down at the hisparu-kel he was enjoying on his plate. Tydurian food often tasted like Mexican. This was no exception. Without the lively spice that commonly exploded in Mexican cuisine, this tasted much like a fried beef chimichanga slathered in cheese. He missed the refried beans and rice, though. And the pico de galo. Perhaps a Mexican restaurant would do well here… He hadn’t seen one on this planet yet.

That feeling of being watched was coming back to Chevy as he sat there in the small diner. He couldn’t shake that feeling of paranoia. He knew it was only a lingering after-effect of the week of interrogation at the hands of the Ya’wenn. He still bore the white scar on his belly where his own knife had been rammed into his intestines. His wrists hurt from the days of hanging from those manacles.

Ford could not remember anything of the rescue. He’d faded into unconsciousness, believing he’d never awaken again. Then he’d blinked back to life in the tiny infirmary section aboard the USS Tenseiga, Commander Thomas’s ship. After much decidedly unmanly weeping, he’d finally convinced himself it might actually all be over. He might really be going home. Ben Thomas had been there for him. He’d guarded the Commodore’s bedside till he was able to leave sickbay, and then he’d shacked Ford up in his own cabin till they reached Starbase.

‘I’m alive, I’m free. We even got my ship back…’ He admonished himself. ‘I’m just looking for something to be wrong. Why?’

Chevy’s heart plunged. A glimpse of a humanoid figure bearing all grey skin caught his eye. He slowly drew his eye that way and looked upon the individual that had drawn his fright. The male alien was an Ifeedrian. They had grey flesh…but there ended the similarities. Their cranial features were more akin to the elongated mug of a bat than the more human looking Ya’wenn.
The grey furred fellow took note of the commodore and made the chin up gesture of challenge, one of the many nonverbal forms of communication the Ifeedrian possessed. Ford closed his eyes slowly and bowed his head, turning it left as he did so. It was the gesture of acquiescence, meaning he had made a mistake. The tall humanoid nodded back when Ford’s eyes had opened and he went on his way.

With that brutal beating averted, Ford went back to his meal. He was just plying into another rolled hisparu-kel and shoveled it mouth-ward when he noticed the hovercar standing out in front of the restaurant. How long it had been there was anyone’s guess, but as he looked up and focussed on it, its driver floored the accelerator and screamed away. The glass had been tinted. He couldn’t see the occupants.

Ford was up in an instant, dashing for the small, manual door. He shouldered through it, all the while ignoring the small man at the register who shouted for him to pay up. Once onto the sidewalk, he looked down the way, panting. The street bore only a four-wheeled vehicle and pedestrians. Damn that guy was fast! He must have nearly bowled half the street down to get through… Most of the people were now looking his way. ‘Wondering what I’d done to nearly get them all ran down…’ Ford thought as he returned to the diner’s interior.

The owner or manager of the place was now very close to Ford, but not so animated as he’d been when he’d believed the human was about to stiff him on the bill. His questioning gaze poured over the commodore. Ford handed him his credit card and shrugged. “Thought I saw someone who knew me.”

Now he knew he was being watched…

Commanders Davenport and Tolin skidded to a halt just outside the sickbay’s treatment area. Sharp stood among unarmed security men, who were making a cordon before the way into the operating rooms, holding concerned lookers-on at bay. Ronald made a beeline through people till he was directly before his commanding officer and stood stiffly erect.

“How are they, Admiral?”

“Not sure.” The tall, well-worn flag officer admitted. “The dry dock commander beamed them in as soon as his people could manage. But the pilot of work pod one-seven was killed by flying debris and Bronstien had already lost his legs. Smith’s faceplate had been crushed, but his suit maintained most of its integrity and he wasn’t severely injured. He suffered mostly exposure and asphyxiation. Your former helmsman is the main concern.”

Tolin blinked.

“John lost his legs?”

“That’s what they tell me.” Sharp replied, his voice calm but his eyes ablaze.

A voice arose among the din behind the concerned Endeavour personnel behind them. Coming from the main entrance, someone was pushing her way to the forefront and cursing like a sailor as she did so. The person who emerged from the pressing throng stunned Davenport as he lay eyes on her.

Doctor Andrea Keller stood straight as she pulled a long white lab coat off and tossed it aside. She looked to the commander then to Jon Sharp as she began to pull her flaming red hair back into a bun. “Let me in there, Admiral!”

“You requested to be relieved of duty—“

“They’re my people, Admiral. I have no time to banter semantics! Let me in there where I can do some good!”

Sharp pushed back into the security line to allow her to pass. She didn’t so much as look back as she made for the surgery prep area. Ron looked at her in slack-jawed silence as she receded from view. Sharp was now making his way close to the Endeavour crewers.

“There’s nothing any of you can do right now. Go back to your quarters and get yourselves some rest. There’ll be plenty to do tomorrow!”

Ron remained near the admiral’s side as the bunch dispersed. The Endeavour crew was very tightly knit after their journeys. It had shown when Ford returned from his imprisonment. It showed when they worked on the ship and even more so now that one of their own was injured. They weren’t behaving professionally, but they were acting like a family. Ronald noticed one face that wasn’t leaving.

Lieutenant Daniel Nechayev entered as the last of the transients left and headed right for them. His solemn expression told of his concern for their injured comrade. He handed a data PADD over to the admiral.

“It vas a pocket of escaped deuterium, leaked from the tankage on Deck Twelve.”

“But they were working on Deck Seventeen!” Tolin interjected. Her widened eyes and rail straight antennae told of her surprise. The gunnery officer looked back at her and nodded.
“’De leak started not long ago,” he said, more of his Russian accent showing than normal. “And has saturated the inner hull matrix all ‘de vay to the keel line of ‘de ship.”

The admiral looked between Davenport and the chief engineer.

“Weren’t the matter tanks bled before work began?”

“Aye,” Tolin answered, “But that doesn’t mean trace gas doesn’t remain behind. And if something jarred a hole through one of the tanks and let it free, then it gets everywhere. They probably didn’t even pick it up on their preliminary scans.”

“And what was your comm officer doing out on the hull with an extraction team?”

Nechayev had the answer for that one.

“’De surviving pod pilot say ‘dat ‘de Lieutenant vas out there to assist vhile further computer repair vas carried out on his systems.”

Sharp knew that sounded like more of a cover story than the truth. More likely the boy had been out there to chat up his former classmate while he wasn’t busy. Whether this had led to the accident in any way would be up to an investigation…should he order one. He pondered the possibility and the use of such a venture. He might find out if negligence was involved, but it wouldn’t bring back the dead pilot or the helmsman’s legs. And the Andorian was correct. The repair team wouldn’t have detected the deuterium leak through irradiated hull panels with the small sensor packages a work bee had at its disposal. It was unlikely a tricorder would have picked it up till the user was right on top of it.

At length, Sharp decided to address the matter on his own when the time was right.

The flag officer’s eyes played about the sterile white and silver wall panels of the infirmary and he went to sit in one of the waiting chairs. Since coming here to this installation, he’d met with one disaster after another. His Sixth Sense was whispering at him, warning of woe. He’d never felt this feeling for such a long time before. Were things only going to get worse?

Jon Sharp looked up to the on-looking officers. He couldn’t smile. Not even to reassure them. He’d just about run out of assurances. He felt tired…old. “Tolin, purge the deuterium tanks with high pressure air to empty them totally. Then flush the inner hull the same way. Don’t let anyone operate on that ship till it’s done. Remove all combustible materials from the interior of the ship. Make her safe to work inside.”

Tolin snapped to attention and nodded. This was the same as a salute among Starfleet officers and crew. “Aye, sir!” She replied and hurried off. Ron looked like he wanted to chase after her as well, but he was drawn to look down the wide hall to the surgery ward. Dim voices could now be heard flowing from within curtained doorways. He looked back to Sharp, hiding raw anguish on his face.

Jon knew why. It was all sinking in on him.

“You think this has something to do with you pushing to keep the Endeavour in commission?”

Ron just looked back at the admiral. He couldn’t summon a response.

“Well, it doesn’t. I’ve read your reports and I’ve read those of your men. She’s f*cked up, but she can be rebuilt. And the truth is, we need that ship out here. We’re not going to get another Excelsior out here till the Enterprise is finished. That won’t be for a year. We have other ships to divert here, but they’re all smaller and less capable. To pull enough of them here to make the same difference would leave three sectors under defended. So you were right to push! But something had to happen. An accident…and now one man is dead and two more injured. It could have been prevented, but then again it might have happened anyway. We won’t ever know for sure.”

“You’re not issuing an investigation?”

“Why should I? To check if someone missed something? We already know someone did. To find out who? I can look at the duty roster and decide that. To see if a dumb kid went out onto the hull to talk to a friend who should have been more mindful? There’s nothing to be gained there. I can throw rulebooks at people all day. But more likely Bronstien wouldn’t have detected that matter leak even if he’d been standing on it, aiming down with his tricorder.”

Nechayev turned fully toward Sharp and crossed his arms.

“Actually, he did, Admiral. The surviving pilot says he owes his life to the fact that Bronstien waved him and his partner off. But the explosion took out the other pod anyvay. The lieutenant did detect the deuterium.”

Sharp leaned back into the small chair and sighed. He suddenly felt a little better for not wanting the investigation. “There. If Bronstien hadn’t been paying the utmost attention, he wouldn’t have been able to see it at all. They’d have all been dead. Maybe Smith shouldn’t have been out there, or maybe he was out there to help. I’ll talk to him in person to find out which and make further decision then. But I’m not bothering with anything official. Ronald…” Sharp looked the tall, broad shouldered man over. The curly haired chief of ops looked like he hadn’t slept in days. “I know you’ve been on the clock ever since Chevy left. I want you to get eight hours of shuteye. You’re off-duty till eleven hundred tomorrow. Understood?”

Ron nodded back. He began to wring his weary eyes as though noticing his weary nature for the first time. He murmured a thanks as he made for the door. Nechayev remained for a time longer, looking back down into the surgery section. The man was a born stoic, and he seldom let show any amount of feeling for his shipmates. But his rushing here with the information before it had been requested and showing concern told volumes about his loyalty.

“He’ll be alright, Lieutenant.” Sharp told the young officer. The security man looked back with light inquiry on his expression. He wanted to know how Sharp knew…

Sharp just knew these things. That damned, niggling Sixth Sense had been there since childhood. It told him things that his mind could not fathom how it should know. It had saved him tons of heartache, and warned him of very bad things. He couldn’t always discern the meaning, but he always had that ‘heads-up’. Sometimes that all it took.

Today it wasn’t telling him about the doom of Lieutenant Bronstien. This meant he’d be okay and alive for some time to come. But it was telling him something else loomed on the horizon.

What? He could not tell…
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 09:36:26 pm »

He tickled some kind of fancy she sported for men in the uniform.

Thats not all he's tickled, I'd imagine.

"Wonder-lust" is a new one to me. Internet says its a band. Thought at first it really was wanderlust, but separating the two words, I think I understand better.

Had to read twice, didn't see mention of the lost pilot's name, assuming I'm not blind, good job on holding us all in suspense. If the name is there, then please let me know so I can have my eyes checked again.

All in all, I'd think that they would have kept Endy with or without pushing or political stuff or whatnots. Too good a ship to let go of.

Czar "Keep 'em rollin'" Mohab

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 09:53:21 pm »
Like so many characters who die in Trek, that poor, poor pilot didn't have a name. In the credits, he'd simply be know as Pilot #2 or 3, and you wouldn't even know which...

And yeah, they can't get rid of Endeavour. It would have been like scrapping the NX-01 after she made it back from Xindi space. Which they probably COULD have, given all the really big holes in her. *wonders if that was the reason they decommissioned NX-01 when she was only 10 years old in the final episode, or whether it was just another example of sh*tty writing...*

Am wondering 'why' about your wonder lust comment. Wasn't that big a deal.

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:36 am »
I don't remember there being a second work bee in the dialog, just the noncom in the first bee.  Since the other pilot hadn't said anything I doubt Bronstein or Smith even knew there was another bee close.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 03:28:08 pm »
Sharp just knew these things. That damned, niggling Sixth Sense had been there since childhood. It told him things that his mind could not fathom how it should know. It had saved him tons of heartache, and warned him of very bad things. He couldn’t always discern the meaning, but he always had that ‘heads-up’. Sometimes that all it took.

Today it wasn’t telling him about the doom of Lieutenant Bronstien. This meant he’d be okay and alive for some time to come. But it was telling him something else loomed on the horizon.

What? He could not tell…

Oo....foreboding. Excellent  ;D

Reckon at least one of my characters probably knows just how Sharp feels with the old 'sixth sense' rattling away in the back of the brain.....
RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 06:55:30 pm »
I don't remember there being a second work bee in the dialog, just the noncom in the first bee.  Since the other pilot hadn't said anything I doubt Bronstein or Smith even knew there was another bee close.

Alright, now. Read before commenting... :whip:

As quoted from narration:

The helmsman turned at the waist and looked back ‘up’ at him. He raised a hand in a short wave and turned back to the trio of work pods that were uncoupling a seven-meter long length of duranium hull paneling from the skeleton of metal beneath it.
And:

“That’s affirmative, LT. I’ll be seein’ ya’.”

The enlisted man gave another wave and began to rotate his pod about above them. The work pod towed the hull panel away with it, leaving the other two to continue.

And no, those two guys din't have names, as they were only there for a few seconds anyway. :skeptic:

Thanks for the read and the comments all. More to come.

--thu guv!

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 11:37:41 pm »

Alright, now. Read before commenting... :whip:

As quoted from narration:

The helmsman turned at the waist and looked back ‘up’ at him. He raised a hand in a short wave and turned back to the trio of work pods that were uncoupling a seven-meter long length of duranium hull paneling from the skeleton of metal beneath it.
And:

“That’s affirmative, LT. I’ll be seein’ ya’.”

The enlisted man gave another wave and began to rotate his pod about above them. The work pod towed the hull panel away with it, leaving the other two to continue.

And no, those two guys din't have names, as they were only there for a few seconds anyway. :skeptic:

Thanks for the read and the comments all. More to come.

--thu guv!

Sorry bud, but I did read it.  Just didn't go back through to see if I was right :P  My bad.  I must've missed the "trio" part. 
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 08:13:54 pm »
No prob, man. I was just rattlin' yer cage anyway.

I always miss something in a story, then make a comment of such and feel like a fool when it was right there before me.

Any ways, I am glad you are still reading and hope you're enjoying.

Rog!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 03:29:24 pm »
Great part...Chevy's confirmation of espionage...the aftermath of the accident...Sharp again showing he knows what the hell he's doing...Keller's reappearance...all good.  Middle of the story though, and you know what that means for me. ;D

That said, I loved this line.

Charge ten credits or a slip of latinum to pet the former Starfleet commodore?

Hehehe.  Rub his head for luck.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 10:17:09 pm »
Yes, La'ra...you always mention me being 'half-way' when it's more like 2/3 or 9/10. This one wasn't very long. Probably why it only took about 8 hours in all to write it.

This chapter contains afor mention sexual content. I'm not including that portion today, to give those who do not wish it included due time to object. Then I'll post the remainder of the chapter.

So...

CH. 5

Chevy patted the Type 1 phaser unit in his pocket and half-slid his hand atop of it as he moved to answer the door chime. The door swung open at his direction to reveal a smiling, dark skinned Anya framed in the doorway. Ford smiled instantly. He was glad to see her.

“I was wondering if I’d see you!” He said as she leaned in for an affectionate hug. She kissed him on the cheek and pulled away. Curiosity touched her face as she turned to close the door.

“I said I’d be over tonight after work.” She replied. “You didn’t believe me?”

“I’m still having problems seeing why a beautiful young woman like you is making time for an old fart like me.” He told her. He was heading for the kitchen. He’d been fixing a fried steak and real mashed potatoes when he’d heard the hovercar. His paranoia over who it might have been arriving was forgotten. Chevy turned aside to the ‘fridge to grab a jug of homemade wine that PO1 Goodwin had made sure to pack off with him.

“I’m after your money and fame.” She replied gamely. She slid onto a stool at the kitchen’s bar and watched as he poured her a flute full of the pink, candy-looking drink. “What’s this?”

“One of my enlisted men brews wine aboard my ship. He recovered this from the wreck of his quarters.” He capped off his own glass and put the jar aside. He raised it and took a smell. “It’s sweet as my morning coffee and packs a hell of a kick. We call it Cotton Candy.”

Anya had took a cautious sip and held it aloft to look at it. She swished the concoction around and then swallowed. “It’s sweet. Kinda tastes like bubble gum and alcohol.”

“Yup…” Ford examined his glass once again with a mock serious face. “It might also be radioactive… After all, he did get his stash back after the ship pulled in to space dock…”

Anya held up her flute and clinked it t his.

“Here’s to radioactive wine.”

“Cotton Candy.”

They both had a short drink. Ford turned away to flip the two battered steaks he was preparing and checked on his potatoes. Anya leaned up to get a better look at his wares and his butt while she was at it. “I thought you weren’t expecting me… You’re frying two big ol’ steaks there.”

“Didn’t say I was hoping you wouldn’t… Just didn’t want to be overly disappointed if you’d decided not to show.”

She smiled toyingly back at him.

“And would you have been?”

Chevis turned back toward her, a greasy steak held at the end of his giant fork. “More than you would have guessed.”

Pleased, Anya made her way around the bar to his end and wrapped her thin arms around him. She looked up into his eyes and a playful light danced there in hers. “After supper, I have something for us to do.”

His hands left his cooking and traveled over the slim little jacket she was wearing.

“What’s that?”

Reaching into her short jacket, Anya produced two or three bits of cloth held together with lengths of red string. Ford’s eyes grew round and his lips drew into a dirty-minded smirk as he looked at the tiny bikini. “Damn!”

She smiled devilishly.

“We’re going down to the beach!”

Chevy looked out into the dark that now ruled over the land. He could see the twinkle of the moon dancing over the waves through the great, bay windows at the back of the condo. He harrumphed a bit.

“I ain’t swimmin’ in the dark.”

“Who said anything about swimming?”

Lieutenant Johnathan Bronstien awoke, feeling drugged and heavy. His mouth felt like it was stuffed with cotton and has been wallowed out with a roll of ancient copper pennies. His scratchy feeling eyes blinked into the all too bright light that shone at his from across the room.

Where the hell was he?

‘This is a sickbay’, he suddenly realized. ‘The Starbase sickbay!’

“What happened…”

A head popped into existence, followed by broad, grey-clad shoulders. Noah Smith had been sitting next to his bed, he saw as the tall youth bounded to his feet and bent over him. The jostling of the narrow bed sent waves of pain through the pilot as he lay there. He flexed his toes, feeling them pop as he moved them. Odd, he couldn’t feel the blanket over them. Maybe Noah uncovered them…

“You’re awake!” Smith was sputtering. His thumb mashed the old-style pickle call-button for assistance. Johnathan really didn’t want any doctors right now. He just wanted to talk to Noah. What the hell was going on? How’d he get in here?

The image of the explosion flooded into the helmsman’s mind as he lay there and he jerked erect. He tried to sit up but couldn’t seem to get the leverage. He felt top-heavy. The drugs?

“Lay down, man. Doc Keller will be here in a sec!” Noah was blathering. John wanted his to just shut the hell up for a minute. He pushed Noah away from the call button.
“Damn it, Noah! I don’t want Keller… Thought she left!”

“She came back for your surgery.”

“What surgery!” John tried again to sit up, to just rise in place without his hands as he rubbed his temples. Something moved, upsetting his blanket. But he didn’t rise. He looked down at his knees sticking up into the air. He didn’t recall bending his knees. Fear began to build, driven by some unseen master. Dread followed close on its heels.
He extended his knee.

Nothing rose. Nothing moved. Nothing.

Grabbing the rails at the edge of the bed, Johnathan frantically jerked up into a sitting position and ripped away the Starfleet issue blue cover away to reveal two bandaged, soar stubs where his long legs used to be. Bronstien grabbed each stump and looked about in fright and agony. He looked about, the malaise of the drugs gone.

“Where are my legs!!”

“You were hurt in the explosion!”

“My legs!”

“Johnathan!”

“Why’d you let ‘em take my f*ckin’ legs!”

“I was unconscious! The shrapnel took out my helmet!”

Bronstien was hearing none of it. He had eyes and ears only for the anguish and torment flooding his mind. Irrationally, he looked about for his legs. If he could find them! He lurched forward, batting away Smith’s staying hands as he groped his way to the bed’s edge. He swung legs that were no longer there out over open space and tried to stand. He crashed to the floor, carrying Smith with him.

Shouts and then alarms sounded in the infirmary as staff rushed in to help. They sedated their charge and wrestled him into bed. Smith could only look on with swollen, bruised eyes as they ministered to his friend. He could do nothing.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:15 am »
Its so amazing that, with all the technology available to kill, destroy, build, renew, explore, and everything else, they still can't fix a man's legs. At the very least, he'll have the chance to walk again, no?

All in all a great continuance. There's something about 'going to the beach' that doesn't feel right; perhaps its just my imagination, though.

If what I think is going to happen happens, I'll comment then, such that plots aren't spoiled (not just the beach scene, either).

Czar "Plot prediction as a sixth sense sux" Mohab

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 08:08:11 am »
Oh man, that Johnny Bronstein scene was harsh. I totally felt for the guy.

Czar, I kinda think it was along the lines of the explosion mangled his legs beyond 23rd-century ability to repair. He'll get his own fast-grown cloned legs or some wizardry of prosthetics back that gives him full function. Unless the Guv is going to be horrifically mean and say a that radiation or some such from the explosion means they can't reattach legs, without a 50% chance of rejection, or that radiation degraded the Human-prosthetic interface and artificial legs cant be linked to his brain.

The Guv is evil that way.

Oh, and I didn't get that sense of "oh-oh" or foreboding from Anya going to the beach. Maybe I'm just too trusting of the "fairer" sex?  ;D

Looking forward to more.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline James Smith