Topic: G.I. Joe - Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity.. WTF?  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
G.I. Joe - Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity.. WTF?
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:08:27 pm »
Ok... this just pisses me off a bit... this has to be the biggest pile of BS i've ever seen...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296054,00.html

Say it ain't so, G.I. Joe.

The popular all-American comic-book military man and action figure dating back to the 1940s is undergoing a significant transformation for the Paramount Pictures-distributed "G.I. Joe" film, which begins production in February and is scheduled for release in summer 2009.

No longer will G.I. Joe be a U.S. Special Forces soldier, the "Real American Hero" who, in his glory days, single-handedly won World War II.

In the politically correct new millennium, G.I. Joe bears no resemblance to the original.

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" — an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

The studio won't elaborate, saying filming hasn't begun and details are still in the works, but the behind-the-scenes rumblings are that the producers have decided to change the nature of G.I. Joe in order to appeal to a wider, more international audience.

The word is that in the current political climate, they're afraid that a heroic U.S. soldier won't fly.

Joe's transformation, however, isn't sitting well with diehard fans and military types.

"I find it outrageous that they'd want to drop everything American" from the character, said conservative blogger Warner Todd Huston, who wrote about the rumors this week on Newsbusters.org and his own blog. "That's nuts."

Retired Army Col. David W. Hunt, a FOX News military and terrorism analyst, called the scheme to make a whole new Joe "a shame."

"G.I. Joe is a U.S. guy," Hunt said. "What are we going to call it — Global Joe? International Joe? It's kind of stupid. It's ridiculous that they're doing that."

Paramount wouldn't say whether an American would be part of the new "global entity," nor would it offer specifics about the storyline or the characters.

"It is too early to tell about plots. We just don't know that," Jessica Rovins, a marketing executive at Paramount, told FOXNews.com.

But she did confirm the accuracy of an article that ran in the film trade publication Variety, which reported last week that G.I. Joe the soldier is being transformed into G.I.J.O.E. the task force.

A Navy spokeswoman said the studio and film's writers have already approached people at the Pentagon for input.

"They had talked about what would be the best way forward, but without seeing a treatment we don’t know yet which way it’s going to go," Lt. Stephanie Murdock, a project officer in the Navy Office of Information West, told FOXNews.com. "We're definitely open to assisting them when they get around to asking us."

But with no script in hand, she said, it's hard to gauge how the military feels about the characterization of G.I. Joe.

The comic-book character and toy line have already undergone an evolution of sorts since Joe first won the hearts of American little boys — and some little girls — beginning in 1942 with the comic strip and in the early 1960s with the action figure.

In the 1940s, he debuted as a comic-book hero in a strip that ran in U.S. military magazines during World War II.

In the 1960s, G.I. Joe was a burly U.S. Special Forces soldier, the "Real American Hero" of both comic book and action figure fame. The doll had various versions and counterparts of different races and ethnicities, but he was clearly an American male soldier.

In the post-Vietnam War era in the 1970s, Hasbro decided to downplay G.I. Joe's military theme by renaming the line "The Adventures of G.I. Joe" and recasting Joe as the leader of an adventure team charged with espionage missions and fighting evil.

But in the 1980s, the toy company Hasbro made G.I. Joe more of a superhero and added a host of other action figures, expanding the line to include characters that made up a team of international operatives.

Now some critics say the globalization of G.I. Joe has gone too far.

"G.I. Joe is not an international hero. That's crap," said Col. Hunt. "They don't have to water it down. That doesn't make sense."

For blogger Huston, who played with G.I. Joe as a boy, transforming the entire character into an amorphous task force in the movie feels like a hit to his childhood memories.

"I certainly understand that it's for international audiences, but these things are American icons," he said. "Why even pretend it's G.I. Joe then? I am a little bit upset about the whole thing."

Huston believes it's the latest example of Hollywood's hostility toward all things American, and he said he probably won't go to see the film if the existing plans are executed.

"It's the last spit in the face of our military," Huston said. "The doll was G.I. Joe, the government-issued guy who was a hero and American. It was celebrating this one heroic soldier. They want to take even that away."

But in order to be a true success these days, a film has to play well to foreign markets as well as stateside in everything from box-office to DVD sales.

For some citizens of other countries — where sentiments against the Iraq war and the American government are strong — a U.S. soldier might not be the easiest character to get viewers to identify with.

Paramount's Rob Moore, a high-level marketing executive, recently told AdAge.com that it was too soon to know what the global response would be to the film.

"Until there's a [locked] script, I don't think you can really comment on what the international reaction will be," he said. "There are parts of the world where [the negative perception of the American government] is an issue, like Western Europe, and parts where it isn't, like the U.K., Australia and Asia."

Hasbro, the maker of the G.I. Joe action figure line, declined to comment about what's in store for its line of G.I. Joe toys and action figures.

But the toy company's chief operating officer, Brian Goldner, has previously spoken to the media about plans for the movie and brand.

"There are always challenges ... G.I. Joe is not just a brand that represents the military, it also represents great characters," he told AdAge.com. "We'll weigh our options. Clearly we do a lot of work on consumer insight."

The film will be directed by Stephen Sommers, produced by Di Bonaventura Films — which just did the highly successful "Transformers" movie — and written by Stuart Beattie and Skip Woods
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: G.I. Joe - Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity.. WTF?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:27:13 pm »
They've always adapted this toy line for the times.  Having a more international team during the 'Global War on Terror' seems appropriate.

Reminds me of Rainbow Six, though. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:49:43 pm »
Hmm, well from the 80s they were taking on Joe's that weren't Americans...and they never really DID specify what GI Joe meant.  However It would work better if they stuck with the G.I. Joe acronym with three words explaining what the Joes are instead of changing the entire thing to a G.I.J.O.E. thing.

Seeing that Cobra was a terrorist organization most recently anyways, I expect that those they are trying to appeal with by making G.I. Joe an international thing wouldn't really work anyways, might as well make it an American team with Internationals working in conjunction with them.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 02:37:28 am »
The more traditional Joe dolls have also had British Tommy's and other Allied WWII troops as part of the lines as well.

As for 'foreigners working in conjunction with the Joes', anyone remember the Oktober Guard? ;D  Rivals/Enemies that always ended up as allies...
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 03:17:08 am »
Why even bother to call the movie G.I. Joe if it's going to look nothing like the Joe up to this point in time? He started as a comic book hero in the same vein as Captain America, then became a children's toy, then became a cartoon about a group of people trying to stop an evil organization from conquering the world. Was there even a guy named Joe in the cartoon?

What fun is it if they become some generic special forces unit? Where are the cool looking three in one mobile HQ/tank/hovercraft vehicles and the villians in weird costumes? I liked Cobra Commander even if he did always lose. I remember when C.O.B.R.A. went around to all the graves of historical leaders, generals and warlords extracting DNA to create the new leader. The one I remember best was Genghis Khan's grave. Is any of that going to be in or is it going to be "The Unit" meets "24" meets "Rainbow Six"?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:49:58 am »
We had Action Man here in the UK.  Action Man was a licenced G.I.Joe made by Palitoy. Palitoy introduced the "Realistic" hair and beard, which Hasbro took up as well.

The Armoured Car was also Palitoy addition to the line up and Hasbro copied this as well.

Palitoy also came up with the Gripping Hands (Kung Fu Grip in the US), which Hasbro took up.

Generally Palitoy went their own way with Action Man, and most people think that they introduced most of the interesting into the G.I.Joe / Action Man range.

Over here in the 1970's, Action Man was equiped and meant to represent the then modern British Army. The most supprted regiments were the Paratroop Regiment and The Royal Marines.

All the 1970's British Army vehicles were available from the SWB Landrover, Ferret Scout Car, Scorpion Tank and Spartan Troop Carrier. There was also a 4 wheeled covered supply tariler and 105mm. working field gun. The field gun used a sprung cartridge that would have modern do gooder safety freaks having a fit!! It had quite a decent range when fired. It used to leave  quite a big bruise if one was hit by it.

At the time, the British Army reckoned that Action Man was their biggest recruitment aid going. I even joined the Army, in 1979, because I'd had an Action Man as a kid.

Palitoy also made the German WW2 SdKfz.222. Armoured Car and Kubel Wagen.

Another company, Sharna, started making vehicles for 12" Action figures, as they put it, and these were brilliant. They made a German Panzer Tank (A rehash of their US M551 Sheridan Tank), Viper Light Tank, Alvis Stoat Scout Car, German WW2 Opel Mulitier Half Track, WW2 Willis Jeep and Trailer, Saladin 6 Wheeled Heavy Armoured Car, German WW2 BMW Sidecar Outfit.

They also made a PT Boat, Missile Firing Jet Fighter and a full sized floating Pontoon Bridge.

All of this ended when Palitoy went bust during the economic disaster that Margaret Thatcher caused in this country during the 1980's.

We had Action Man re-introduced, over here in the UK as an international anti-terroist agent. Cartoons on VHS were also put out by Hasbro UK on the same theme as this movie that's proposed. Generally the new Action Man was/is totally crap.

Fortuanately, when my son was 7 years old, I brought down all the boxes of Action Man stuff in the loft and he spent many years bulding bases and camps in the back yard, having his troop perform dangerous missions against the Germans, etc.

Fortunately the Chinese Company "Cotswold" has licence from Hasbro and is making alll the old G.I.Joe and Action Man stuff from the 1960's and 1970's. They also make exact copies of the old Joes and later versions. They also make alternative faces and heads.

The wargames model company Dragon makes WW2 German and US Tanks, heavy weapons and vehicles. Yes, you can now buy a full sized Tiger Tank for G.I.Joe!!

I did buy my son the new G.I.Joe WW2 M.3. Half-Track with the M.1896. Field Gun mounted on top, complete with a G.I.Joe US Marine one Christmas.

My son reckoned that the Anti-Terrorist Crime Fighting Action Man was a load of rubbish and boring back when he was just 8 years old. But by then, he'd been exposed to G.I.Joe / Action Man the soldier, which he found a lot more fun to play with.

Action Man is mentioned in David Bowie's "Ashes to ashes" and the expression "Action Man" is used in UK English to describe an idealised selfless hero type of character quite often on TV and newspapers.

This PC G.I.Joe movie sound like it'll be totally alien to the original G.I.Joe theme of the nameless soldier just doing his duty. I suppose that G.I.Joe does have to move with the times and can't keep fighting long past wars.

We'll have to see how it turns out.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 01:06:21 pm »
We had Action Man here in the UK.  Action Man was a licenced G.I.Joe made by Palitoy. Palitoy introduced the "Realistic" hair and beard, which Hasbro took up as well.

The Armoured Car was also Palitoy addition to the line up and Hasbro copied this as well.

Palitoy also came up with the Gripping Hands (Kung Fu Grip in the US), which Hasbro took up.

Generally Palitoy went their own way with Action Man, and most people think that they introduced most of the interesting into the G.I.Joe / Action Man range.

Over here in the 1970's, Action Man was equiped and meant to represent the then modern British Army. The most supprted regiments were the Paratroop Regiment and The Royal Marines.

All the 1970's British Army vehicles were available from the SWB Landrover, Ferret Scout Car, Scorpion Tank and Spartan Troop Carrier. There was also a 4 wheeled covered supply tariler and 105mm. working field gun. The field gun used a sprung cartridge that would have modern do gooder safety freaks having a fit!! It had quite a decent range when fired. It used to leave  quite a big bruise if one was hit by it.

At the time, the British Army reckoned that Action Man was their biggest recruitment aid going. I even joined the Army, in 1979, because I'd had an Action Man as a kid.

Palitoy also made the German WW2 SdKfz.222. Armoured Car and Kubel Wagen.

Another company, Sharna, started making vehicles for 12" Action figures, as they put it, and these were brilliant. They made a German Panzer Tank (A rehash of their US M551 Sheridan Tank), Viper Light Tank, Alvis Stoat Scout Car, German WW2 Opel Mulitier Half Track, WW2 Willis Jeep and Trailer, Saladin 6 Wheeled Heavy Armoured Car, German WW2 BMW Sidecar Outfit.

They also made a PT Boat, Missile Firing Jet Fighter and a full sized floating Pontoon Bridge.

All of this ended when Palitoy went bust during the economic disaster that Margaret Thatcher caused in this country during the 1980's.

We had Action Man re-introduced, over here in the UK as an international anti-terroist agent. Cartoons on VHS were also put out by Hasbro UK on the same theme as this movie that's proposed. Generally the new Action Man was/is totally crap.

Fortuanately, when my son was 7 years old, I brought down all the boxes of Action Man stuff in the loft and he spent many years bulding bases and camps in the back yard, having his troop perform dangerous missions against the Germans, etc.

Fortunately the Chinese Company "Cotswold" has licence from Hasbro and is making alll the old G.I.Joe and Action Man stuff from the 1960's and 1970's. They also make exact copies of the old Joes and later versions. They also make alternative faces and heads.

The wargames model company Dragon makes WW2 German and US Tanks, heavy weapons and vehicles. Yes, you can now buy a full sized Tiger Tank for G.I.Joe!!

I did buy my son the new G.I.Joe WW2 M.3. Half-Track with the M.1896. Field Gun mounted on top, complete with a G.I.Joe US Marine one Christmas.

My son reckoned that the Anti-Terrorist Crime Fighting Action Man was a load of rubbish and boring back when he was just 8 years old. But by then, he'd been exposed to G.I.Joe / Action Man the soldier, which he found a lot more fun to play with.

Action Man is mentioned in David Bowie's "Ashes to ashes" and the expression "Action Man" is used in UK English to describe an idealised selfless hero type of character quite often on TV and newspapers.

This PC G.I.Joe movie sound like it'll be totally alien to the original G.I.Joe theme of the nameless soldier just doing his duty. I suppose that G.I.Joe does have to move with the times and can't keep fighting long past wars.

We'll have to see how it turns out.

I watched Action Man!  Wow...that's pretty cool.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
Yep, when I was a boy in the 1960's and 1970's, if a kid didn't have an Action Man, Hot Wheels, Mechano, Lego, Tri-ang Hornby Train Set or Scalextric, then he was having a deprived childhood.

It's the toys that kids play with that determines how useful or useless they'll be as adults. Kids who prefer sports to mechano and lego, phychologists have found, turn out to be the adults who need to hire someone to change a light bulb or change a spark plug. Aprently constructive toys develop a child's dexterity and mental ability to visualise problems and figure out remedies.

Basically, what they've discovered is that kids who prefer playing ball games grow up being only suitable as Human Resources Managers, Salesmen or Office Staff, as they have no practical skills.

Action Man/G.I.Joe taught kids about history, heroism, duty, the technicalities of soldiering and above all, stimulated imagination.

The psycholgist say that kids need toy that stimulate constructive imagination. Kicking or throwing a ball around doesn't do this.

I this age of kids prefering to plug in a games console to play wargames rather than plan and bult lego or cardboard bases on tables to attack with toy soldiers, are we breeding a whole generation of thickoes with none of life's general practical skills needed for DIY,vehicle maintainance, fitting a plug or changing a fuse??!!

Teenagers do seem a hell of a lot thicker than they were in my day. They seem to lack the basic understanding of how a lot of things work that a 1970's 10 year old boy would understand.

They're going to find adult life very, very expensive having to hire people to do all the jobs around the home and vehicles that they could easily do themselves, if they we'ren't so cack handed.

I think that you'll find that the majority of tiday's kids will think that G.I.Joe is an old console or computer game character, rather then a toy.

No doubt that there wll be a console game of the movie to follow.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:40:07 pm »
The psycholgist say that kids need toy that stimulate constructive imagination. Kicking or throwing a ball around doesn't do this.

The the perfect toy is a cardboard box large enough for the child to crawl inside.

I has all sorts of adventures with those.  All I needed was some permanent markers to draw the controls of whatever vehicle the box was intended to be on the inside.

Teenagers do seem a hell of a lot thicker than they were in my day. They seem to lack the basic understanding of how a lot of things work that a 1970's 10 year old boy would understand.

They're also far more computer literate than some adults who've been to college to become so, at least in my experience.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 08:21:34 pm »
It was always finding a cardboard box that would last that long.

If taken outside and made wet in the rain, they lasted abut as long as a Chinese motorcycle.

Don't forget all the windows or port holes cut into the larger boxes for imaginary reasons.

As a kid, I used to use carbboard boxes for G.I.Joe\Action Man bases, enemy objective, aircraft, spaceships, etc.

One Summer, I took my 8 year old son around all the local shops asking for cardboard boxes so that he could create a G.I.Joe/Action Man sized village for the enemy to defend and his "men" to attack. It took him 2 days to make all the buildings. Kept him busy for a week playing with them. Cost me nothing.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 02:16:51 am »
Big refrigerator boxes were great.  Could make a whole submarine from those.  And actually, the whole 'doesn't last long' thing was sort of a blessing, since after one met it's end, you could get another to transform into something else.

For smaller boxes, I always kept the boxes the toys came in to use as buildings and other such.

Of course, in the GI JOE arena, if you didn't have enough bad guys, your sisters old Barbie dolls made great 50 foot tall alien invaders for them to combat (shades of Robotech).

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:43:08 am »
Young Pup!

In my day, GI Joe was as big as Barbies... the only issue was when Barbie needed a date... sometimes my sister would kidnap Joe... obviously b/c Ken is a metrosexual wussy!
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:18:29 am »
This is something I saw online over a decade ago....

Comparison of Ken and Action Man (G.I.Joe.) 

Ken lives in a house with Barbie.

Action Man live in a heavily fortified command bunker.

Ken keeps a sports car in his garage.

Action Man keeps has an Attack Helicoptor, Fighter Jet, Tank, Jeep, APC, motorcycles, etc. in his hangars and garage.

Ken drives to work each day in his sports car.

Action Man drives to work each day in a tank.

Ken always spends ages looking for a parking space.

Action Man drives a tank.

Ken always ends up being hastled with parking Nazis.

Action Man's tank is armed with a 76mm. L.23. gun and a Co-axial Browning M.1919.A.2. M.M.G.

Ken often finds that he's been wheel clamped and has pointless arguments with parking Nazis.

Action Man knows hundreds of fun ways  to kill, injury or maim parking Nazis.

Ken has a boring and moronic job as a telesales "executive".

Action Man has anything but a boring and moronic job.

On Sunday afternoons Ken goes and sucks up to his boss by playing golf or squash with him.

On Sunday afternoons, Action Man goes round Ken's house and lets Barbie screw a real man for a change.

Now, here is the starnge part....

The Hasbro prototype mock up for G.I.Joe,  back in 1964, was a Matel Ken, suitably beefed up.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 09:59:44 am »
When I was a kid back in the 80's, we had G.I. Joe, but in the UK there was no focus on one type of character. It was named Action Force. We still had characters like Wild Bill, etc, but the focus of the toys over here was one of a non government backed force that fought the terrorists Cobra. So there was no sense of it being American. So this news doesn't really have an impact on me, because those toys and characters never represented America.

ACtion man wasn't really that great to us, the models were too big, and Action force ( gi joe ) had a smaller scale, which allowed funky helicopters, tanks and bases etc.
Also with action force (gi joe ), you could more easily use lego to create vehicles or "terrain".

Gi Joe is what eventually led me to take up the painting and playing of Games workshop games.

Though I was more of a He-man toy fan as a kid. ;D
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 10:44:14 am »
The thing was that the 6" figures were just large toy soldiers with bendy limbs. And like toy soldiers, you needed to buy a new figure if you wanted a defferent soldier type.

The old Action Man/G.I.Joe idea was that, like a real soldier/sailor/airman/marine, you just equiped him with new kit.

The weapons were better for the 12" figures. Missiles and bombs launched from Bazookas, Mortars and Cannons travelled many yards and not a few dozen inches as with the 6" figures. The Action Man 105mm. field gun used to fire shells over the house (2 storey) when I was a kid and could lob a shell more than the length of the 40 foot garden and still teach a trespassing cat a painful lesson.

Yep, toy were great before the woosy safety freaks and PC brigade spoilt it all.

I always thought that the Action Force figures and theme was a cheap and pale imitation of the Action Man/G.I.Joe theme.

I thought I'd attach a picture of the "enemy" attack my son had set up for his Action Man and G.I.Joe squad to defend against many summers ago. (Yes, he did have a spoilt childhood!!)

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 09:05:11 pm »

Ken lives in a house with Barbie.

Action Man live in a heavily fortified command bunker.

I hate to say this, but I think ken wins that little comparison for that little point alone.

I play Games Workshop games as well oddly enough, though I actually hate painting them.  Like coming with what to paint them in and how, but just don't have the time anymore.

-------

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 10:18:38 pm »
I dunno, Action Man/G.I.Joe has a better lifestyle, hasn't a mortgage, has everything supplied and paid for by the governement and probally earns more than Ken anyway.

I'd be extremely concerned if any boy wanted to be like Ken rather than Action Man/G.I..Joe. Definately a therapy case.

Ken just looks like a Ned Flanders type.

Anyway, isn't Action Man/G.I.Joe also screwing Malibu Stacy as well??

I wonder who they'll cast as the main dude?? Russel Crowe??

And ofr the villan, Dennis Hopper / Gary Oldman (hopefully) / Christopher Walken (the usual hollywood rebt a villans).

Gaey Oldman always plays such brilliant villans in films, such as the bent cop in "Leon".

Could be worth watching if they have him as the terrorist leader.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:16:57 am »
Russel Crowe would be good, but I don't really care for Christopher Walken.

-------

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:06 am »
Gary Oldman does play brilliantly insane evil villain, you have to admit.

He played Doctor Smith in the "Lost In Space" movie well. He actually stayed with Jonathan Harris for 3 months, as, in his won words, quote, "I had to learn to play Jonathan Harris playing Doctor Smith!!"

As the evil corrupt, drug adict, DEA cop in "Leon" he was brilliant as well.

In the crap Bruce Willis Sci-Fi flim "The 5th Element" he also played a brilliant evil villain. Actually, they should have just cut out the annoying cleb dude and just had more Gary Oldman evil villan time.

Gary Oldman just does the evil villain role so well.

Gary Oldman has my vote for crazy evil terrorist leader, if they do make the film. If I was casting the film, he'd be the first phone call. The quality of the villains determines how good any film will be.

OK, we're all agreed then that Matt Damon should NOT play G.I.JOe at any cost!!

Offline MelbuFrahma

• Left out in the Cold
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 01:31:15 pm »

Why Russel crowe?
Why not Matt Damon?

Both are not my choices. but still.

Why not use who's done good Military films before?

Jamie Foxx :  Upcomming film The Kingdom, Past film : Jarhead
Any of the cast from Band of Brothers (hbo series)
Eric Bana: film Blackhawkdown

those without much military credit:
Will Smith
Huge Jackman
Sam Elliott
Timothy Olyphant (played a very good villian in Live free or die hard)

any other actors you would want playing in this movie?