Topic: TNG Constitution Project  (Read 42628 times)

Offline AsYlUm

• Follow the white rabbit
  • Lt. Junior Grade
TNG Constitution Project
« on: October 17, 2007, 02:20:31 pm »
I dont know if it has been done before, but this is my project to make an tng era constitution class.. this ship / design i think would fit between A-C    possibly along side the ambassidor class..
Still a long way to go.. but when the model is complete it will be one object and 100% clean. If you have any sugestions im always open to hear your ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3YBxBlR5E         <-- gagarin video

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: TNG Constitution Project
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:41:59 pm »
My first impresion would be a refit ambassador, not connie, due to the shape of the drive hull. You might want to consider slimming down the drive hull and not angling the deflector if you want to appear more in direct liniage to the connie. I would save a copy of the current drive hull because it's too nice a mesh to throw out if you do decide to change something. The nacelles rule.

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:52:40 pm »
THanks for the input....   It was originally constructed flat... i then shaped it angular because i thought it would allow the traditional connie features to be brought forward i.e to the "C" era.. although i havent saved the flat version it is an interseting idea to keep a copy of it... although it would become an issue, as such a change later on would be quite drastic in the UVW mapping and texturing..

Thanks.

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:28:24 pm »
ok.. I added some more detail... and added in an skylight to bring out the detail, I hope this shows the orientation of my idea a little more...   (think im gonna stick with the slanted deflector for now)

Ok I dont know what ur gonna think about the twin impulse things above the impulse engines... im not technical.. dont know what they do... but i seen some twin ones before, thought it looked like an advancement, but not reaching too far.. a nice feature i think.  tradition impulse engines brings back that conny look too i feel.

as previously said, comments and suggestions more than welcome.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:01 pm »
Nice start, looking forward to seeing it advance. I'd like to suggest a 20% increase to the length of the nacelles. Or use the length to height ratio from TMP.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:36:09 am »
Ok, how about having the deflector somewhere's between the angle now and flat?

Like the update dude, btw. Oh yea and those rings in the deflector (the onse you see from head on) have you thought about adding 1 or 2 more inside the exsisting rings?

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:29:05 pm »
Thanks guys... Longer necelles.. I will have a pop and see how it looks, less of an angle on the deflector is a cool idea, as for more rings . . do you mean inside the last set? in the bowl as it where?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:36:17 pm »
Thanks guys... Longer necelles.. I will have a pop and see how it looks, less of an angle on the deflector is a cool idea, as for more rings . . do you mean inside the last set? in the bowl as it where?

My guess is that he's looking at something like this (and excuse the quick edit, I'm at work).

..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:14:31 pm »
Nice edit lol

thanks... thats what i ahd in mind.  :)

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:55:09 pm »
It's an awfully good start. TNG Constitution might be a bit misleading though - more like a TNG replacement/decendant. That aside, I do have a few suggestions:

I'd definitely consider downsizing that impulse deck because even the original Connie didn't have one that large and things haven't changed much by TNG era.

The boxes/greebles on the warp nacelles could be downsized also and you may want to try adding something to the flat end of them. That's something I learned with doing nacelles is that if the end is empty, you have to either drop in a box or greeble or make up extra texture detail so it doesn't look left out.

This isn't a critique but I'd definitely keep the bridge idea as trying to make a bridge merge with the curvature of the saucer is often more trouble than it's worth. Having that flat deck prevents it from being an issue.

Beyond the little things, it looks to be on the right track.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:30:10 pm »
Just me, but I think the bottom of the saucer needs to be, less pronounced.  No room for the Photon Tubes to be placed on the Dorsal Connector if the Saucer sticks out that far.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 01:00:22 pm »

Guys thanks allot for your comments and suggestions so far, so i initially made the necelles longer in the middle and overall they look quite nice now... although WZ you are right anout detailing the end with summat.. thats what im gonna work on next.
I have angled the front so its not so sheer and looks more flat and added an extra ring to the inside, i have shrunk the impulse (had to rebuild the saucer around it  :'( ) and i have lowered the hull away from the saucer, thus allowing the neck to have a nice torp launcher.  I have also begun shaping the shuttle bay.

Your suggestions so far have helped mold this model, thanks for the input ;)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 01:42:53 pm »
Looking sweet.

My last idea.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:58 pm »

Guys thanks allot for your comments and suggestions so far, so i initially made the necelles longer in the middle and overall they look quite nice now... although WZ you are right anout detailing the end with summat.. thats what im gonna work on next.
I have angled the front so its not so sheer and looks more flat and added an extra ring to the inside, i have shrunk the impulse (had to rebuild the saucer around it  :'( ) and i have lowered the hull away from the saucer, thus allowing the neck to have a nice torp launcher.  I have also begun shaping the shuttle bay.

Your suggestions so far have helped mold this model, thanks for the input ;)

Glad to help.. and to mention it, it's a gorgeous mesh.. it's why you're getting good comments on it.  People would like to see this one make it out.  :D

But I know what was bugging me with this.. the impulse deck is scaled a bit too large I think for the size.. maybe about 65% or so of it's current size as a suggestion.

... and maybe about 85% scaling down for height on the secondary hull maintaining length.. that'll give you something that looks like this:
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline darkthunder

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • If you see me running, try to keep up.
    • digital-Underground
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 04:33:42 pm »
Very nice mesh indeed. We definitely need a serious TNG-upgraded Connie "replacement" :D

And this one, fits the part.
// Darkthunder

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 05:21:17 pm »
how about sticking a roundish bulb thing in the back of the nacelles like the concorde or carolina:

http://gallery82737.fotopic.net/p4793268.html
http://gallery82737.fotopic.net/p4712260.html (though I would ight the seams on this one it's too bland.)

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 02:28:07 am »
Carolina necelles look awsome... I may just use that idea for the rear of mine thanks starforce2, Vipre it took ten minutes to see what you had done but then i noticed you brought the necelles back ;) lol.. I will reduce the height of the impulse deck as atheorhaven (and wz) has suggested then i will see about moving the necelles slightly.. gonna work on it a bit more today and i will show you a wip a little later..

again thanks for all your comments and suggestions

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 04:59:39 am »
Vipre it took ten minutes to see what you had done but then i noticed you brought the necelles back ;) lol.. I will reduce the height of the impulse deck as atheorhaven (and wz) has suggested then i will see about moving the necelles slightly.. gonna work on it a bit more today and i will show you a wip a little later..

again thanks for all your comments and suggestions

Uh oh, I thought I gave a description. My mistake, I've such crap memory. I actually didn't move the nacelles back, I moved the saucer about a half inch forward. Depeding on the neck design it's meant to give a sense of movement even when the ship isn't. Also it's another throw back to the original E as that is about the same position in relation to the seconadary hull.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 07:48:29 am »
I have now finished the rear of the necelles and the impulse deck is done, completed the shuttle bay and repositioned the saucer section... im gonna work on the bridge next.

thanks for all your feedback

Offline AsYlUm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:37:23 am »

so i have finished the bridge and upper saucer area and also reduced the size of the secondary hull slightly

im gonna finish the rest of the secondary hull next and then work on the neck

thanks.