Topic: My most recent project....  (Read 22281 times)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
My most recent project....
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:01:39 am »
Well, someone asked if I was working on anything else recently, and I am, but still working on fixing a few problems.

I've already been given the green light for release, so I thought I'd make some renders for you guys.

Here's my own pre-refit Mars Class kitbash.

Original mesh and textures by WickedZombie45.  Retextures beautifully done by GAFY.  Kitbash and renders by me.

The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: My most recent project....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:09:21 am »
interesting phaserpods.

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:28:17 am »
great textures - really well  done

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:49:02 am »
The phaser banks are GAFY's idea, to help further express the feel that this is the first ship of her kind.  I have alternate phaser textures, which I'll show once the mapping errors are fixed.

MP is still helping me with that problem.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »
Walla fixed  :)

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 03:32:58 pm »
what was wrong with it?

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 03:37:28 pm »
Lots of little mapping issues are what was wrong I had a pretty big list for that one, which is why that ship was on hold.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 03:47:46 pm »

That include the neck area as well?
Also the Photon tubes shouls all be of the silvered launcher the all black ones will have to be replaced as well
Also the windows by the upper warp pylons (Saucer) needs to be removed by a remap
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 04:06:35 pm »

Also the Photon tubes shouls all be of the silvered launcher the all black ones will have to be replaced as well
Also the windows by the upper warp pylons (Saucer) needs to be removed by a remap

I wasn't asked to do any of that bro, just fix the mesh issues. Textures are your speciality  ;)

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:14:43 pm »

Windows by the upper pylons?  Must not have noticed that.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 08:34:26 pm »

I wasn't asked to do any of that bro, just fix the mesh issues. Textures are your speciality  ;)

The fastest way to fix the Photon tubes is to delete the all black ones and copy the silver ones and use that to replace them mesh wise. The all black ones would have to be remapped complete otherwise as they double up on a few areas as the backing. The area on the neck was where he added the additional polies just above the launcher they show black in the first picture. There is room for those polies on the neck texture but they needed mapping. You can see the windows that need to mapped off in the third picture they should not be near the engine pylons. Was just going to sqweeze the polies mapping closer orginally without having to reassign it, if I ever got Milkshape running again. Lastly The pylfront.bmp needs the pylfronti.bmp map added to the mesh. Then it looks like you got everything I rememeber.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:50:07 pm by GotAFarmYet? »

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 08:49:41 pm »
if I ever got Milkshape running again.

You mean you can actually open a WZ model in milkshape? I've tried and, unless the model is < 5500 polys, milkshape blows up every time. I get this with some of Atra's more detailed models as well.

Sorry for the thread-jack. WZ has plenty of work I'd love to bash up for personal use, or even release, with his permission. Good work, folks. :)

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 08:57:13 pm »
Milkshape tops out about just under 12,000 polies for being able to handle it. So you might be hitting a bad area of RAM on your PC or you need to update the DLLs of Milkshape.

My problem is milkshape will not load at all and it is a DLL issue thta I fixed before but don't really want to go through that again.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 06:19:50 am »
Well, here's an update, but without renders.

The bottom torpedo pod was just too much trouble, so I deleted the damn thing.  But, MP showed me a nice concept that I had dismissed myself early on in the process.  Turns out it works nicely, and also helps sets the ship apart from other Mars models out there.  Thanks for showing me the concept could work MP.  :-D

The lower aft torpedo launchers are fixed.  Swapped the tubes themselves with ones that already had the desired mapping.  Thanks for the suggestion GAFY.

The mapping on the rim is not done, nor do I think it'll get done.  Don't know how to fix it.

The neck is fixed.  MP helped as much as he could, but MS3D kept wanting to resize and rotate the model the way it wanted, and I couldn't handle it.  However, Lint showed me how to solve the problem in MAX, so the neck is fixed. 

I've gone through each texture entry and made sure that those textures that are supposed to have lightmaps have them, and those that don't, do not have any. 

I'm wondering if I should even bother with spec maps in the renders.  I've already counted.  58 textures to make spec maps for.  That's alot of spec maps, and alot of attaching of spec maps.  I know in the end the results would be nice, but I'm debating if I should use spec maps in renders. 

I am however gonna make a few renders right now.  They'll be in my next post.

Offline AsYlUm

• Follow the white rabbit
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 09:40:54 am »
interesting idea... i like it so far  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3YBxBlR5E         <-- gagarin video

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 02:47:21 pm »
Well, as I said, here are renders of how she stands so far.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 03:48:34 pm »
2 things:

1) since the pix are so big you should try a photo album like blaxxer has so they load faster. Dynaverse loads them really slow.

2) You ought to try one of the deflector patterns off denis bailey's concord or carolina. That'd jazz it up bit.

Nice touch with the 4 tubes in the front btw.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 04:43:55 pm »
If you have some pic on those deflectors please show them, but the more complex defeletor are late TMP alittle to more TNG. The TMP era ones are actually quite simple looking.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 06:39:30 pm »
I was under the impression that this was late tmp, hence the extra phaser designs and the advanced engines.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
2 things:

1) since the pix are so big you should try a photo album like blaxxer has so they load faster. Dynaverse loads them really slow.

2) You ought to try one of the deflector patterns off denis bailey's concord or carolina. That'd jazz it up bit.

Nice touch with the 4 tubes in the front btw.

1.) Hate photo albums, so Xenocorp shall do nicely.

2.) This is TMP, not TNG.  I like to keep things simple and within reason.  Very rarely do I jazz things up.

3.) Thanks for the 4 tubes.  I had originally thought of doing something similar to my Resurrection kitbash, but using 3 tubes, but decided against it.  MP was playing around with a few things on the mesh, and showed me that for a ship this size, 4 tubes facing forward works nicely.  It allows the ship to maintain the same number of torpedo launchers now that I've deleted that second torpedo pod that I had on the ventral of the ship.