Topic: My most recent project....  (Read 22259 times)

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
Re: My most recent project....
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 08:45:45 pm »

Nice job.

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 08:49:29 pm »
I was under the impression that this was late tmp, hence the extra phaser designs and the advanced engines.

Nothing advanced about those engines.  Granted, because of the intercooler grille texture being the same as those from the Indomitable, you can be mistaken, but look at the design of the engines.  They're upscaled versions of the Refit Connie engines, beefed up too.

The phasers were a unique design that GAFY came up with on his own that I really loved.  To help set this ship apart from other Mars classes out there, and to further enhance the feel that this was the first of her kind, a prototype if you will.

I built this bash the way I did because, as much as I love WZ's Mars Refit, I wanted something more traditional, that was reminiscent of earlier times in Trek.  Using many of the same components as the Refit Connie during early TMP, I felt that this bash accomplished just that.

I wanted new clothes for this lady, and GAFY provided them nicely.  These textures were the basis for those Connie retextures he did.

I might include an alternate set of textures with more traditional phasers and engine glows.  Haven't decided yet.  

Should be noted that this ship, unlike the Connie retextures, is meant to be in the standard Trek timeline.  However, if I include the alternate textures, this ship could fit into both timelines easily.  

I'll think about it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:01 pm »
I was under the impression that this was late tmp, hence the extra phaser designs and the advanced engines.

Nothing advanced about those engines.  Granted, because of the intercooler grille texture being the same as those from the Indomitable, you can be mistaken, but look at the design of the engines.  They're upscaled versions of the Refit Connie engines, beefed up too.

The phasers were a unique design that GAFY came up with on his own that I really loved.  To help set this ship apart from other Mars classes out there, and to further enhance the feel that this was the first of her kind, a prototype if you will.

I built this bash the way I did because, as much as I love WZ's Mars Refit, I wanted something more traditional, that was reminiscent of earlier times in Trek.  Using many of the same components as the Refit Connie during early TMP, I felt that this bash accomplished just that.

I wanted new clothes for this lady, and GAFY provided them nicely.  These textures were the basis for those Connie retextures he did.

I might include an alternate set of textures with more traditional phasers and engine glows.  Haven't decided yet.  

Should be noted that this ship, unlike the Connie retextures, is meant to be in the standard Trek timeline.  However, if I include the alternate textures, this ship could fit into both timelines easily.  

I'll think about it.

Actually the Indomitable uses these Engines textures as they were designed for this ship, I liked them enough to reuse them on that ship. So a smaller more powerful version that is on the Indomitable is probably more true. As stated this ship is the one that the Connie retextures were based off of, basically some of the builds i did for this one that I rejected went to the connies which just got released sooner as this one was still under build so to speak. This one also has the textures I did not use on the Connies included so that means he can mix and match this ship quite a bit more to fit a few time lines. I have no idea if he plans to use any of them or will include them, which might also include blanks, his ship his choice. Either way this one also is a first as this one will probably be released before I finish my custom version of it, which usually Cent gets to see but releases the non-custom version.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 03:55:19 am »

Nothing advanced about those engines.  Granted, because of the intercooler grille texture being the same as those from the Indomitable, you can be mistaken, but look at the design of the engines.  They're upscaled versions of the Refit Connie engines, beefed up too.

The phasers were a unique design that GAFY came up with on his own that I really loved.  To help set this ship apart from other Mars classes out there, and to further enhance the feel that this was the first of her kind, a prototype if you will.

I built this bash the way I did because, as much as I love WZ's Mars Refit, I wanted something more traditional, that was reminiscent of earlier times in Trek.  Using many of the same components as the Refit Connie during early TMP, I felt that this bash accomplished just that.

I wanted new clothes for this lady, and GAFY provided them nicely.  These textures were the basis for those Connie retextures he did.

I might include an alternate set of textures with more traditional phasers and engine glows.  Haven't decided yet. 

Should be noted that this ship, unlike the Connie retextures, is meant to be in the standard Trek timeline.  However, if I include the alternate textures, this ship could fit into both timelines easily. 

I'll think about it.

Actually the Indomitable uses these Engines textures as they were designed for this ship, I liked them enough to reuse them on that ship. So a smaller more powerful version that is on the Indomitable is probably more true. As stated this ship is the one that the Connie retextures were based off of, basically some of the builds i did for this one that I rejected went to the connies which just got released sooner as this one was still under build so to speak. This one also has the textures I did not use on the Connies included so that means he can mix and match this ship quite a bit more to fit a few time lines. I have no idea if he plans to use any of them or will include them, which might also include blanks, his ship his choice. Either way this one also is a first as this one will probably be released before I finish my custom version of it, which usually Cent gets to see but releases the non-custom version.

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas, everywhere I warp.   ;)
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:37:24 am »
so when does this fit in the standard ttrek timeline as compared with canon vessels such as the 1701-A, excelcior/excel reft?

Oh and I've seen 3 tubes on a pod before...It doesn't look as nice.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 05:25:46 am »
I intend for her to come in around the same time as the Enterprise's refit in 2271, or shortly thereafter.  I haven't written up the storyline for her yet, but I don't intend for her to be introduced any later than 2280.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 09:27:46 am »
I intend for her to come in around the same time as the Enterprise's refit in 2271, or shortly thereafter.  I haven't written up the storyline for her yet, but I don't intend for her to be introduced any later than 2280.

I think you're spot on, and agree somewhere between 2270 - 2275 as that coincides with the TMP refits. I believe originally the ship enters service somewhere around 2260 about the same time as the Federation DN.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 09:53:32 am »
Actually in Trek the ship would never be built, and if Gene had not died DS9 would not have happened.

Gene was against the war and the things in it, so no Battleship would have ever been in Trek. This ship would however fit in SFB with no problems and the timelines that game uses. Putting this all aside then yes aroundthe TMP refits works out just fine.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 03:32:26 pm »
hey gafy?, not to hijack the thread here, but how hard would it be to convert the X-era (the spruced up taldren ones) from the bar of 4 phasers to the 3 phaser pod like this ship? I assume I'd hafta cut off all the phaser mounts and then..paste a texture on the saucer textures? I honestly am not liking the idea of having 4 beams comming out of each pod I think it's a tad silly. That is if you 2 don't mind letting me put your new phaserpod on other ships...

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 05:12:30 pm »
hey gafy?, not to hijack the thread here, but how hard would it be to convert the X-era (the spruced up taldren ones) from the bar of 4 phasers to the 3 phaser pod like this ship? I assume I'd hafta cut off all the phaser mounts and then..paste a texture on the saucer textures? I honestly am not liking the idea of having 4 beams comming out of each pod I think it's a tad silly. That is if you 2 don't mind letting me put your new phaserpod on other ships...

That would be pretty much what you would have to do then shange the specs in the shiplist files. Unfortuantly though you will have to get premissions from Centurus as the textures were for his ship so they are under his control for useage

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 08:35:35 pm »

That would be pretty much what you would have to do then shange the specs in the shiplist files. Unfortuantly though you will have to get premissions from Centurus as the textures were for his ship so they are under his control for useage

*twiddles his thumbs and whistles innocently*

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 10:08:58 pm »
lol. Well, deleting the phaserbanks on all of these ships might be about as much work as making 4 beams and I've not seen what they look like. I'll keep ya in mind.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 10:21:01 pm »
This is why when it comes to TMP type phasers, I just like to have them textured on.  Phaser arrays on the other hand I like meshed.  Good thing for me I know how to do that now.

Now I just need to learn to make ships instead of kitbashing them.  I'm still working on it.  MUAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 12:54:35 am »
This is why when it comes to TMP type phasers, I just like to have them textured on.  Phaser arrays on the other hand I like meshed.  Good thing for me I know how to do that now.

Now I just need to learn to make ships instead of kitbashing them.  I'm still working on it.  MUAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you use that phaser tut by capt hooker? The only question I have is if I've already made a saucer or I am adding a phaserbank to a tmp vessel like you sometimes do, how do I get my arc to match the saucer? Cuz if you don't it will look funny.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 12:56:47 am »

did you use that phaser tut by capt hooker? The only question I have is if I've already made a saucer or I am adding a phaserbank to a tmp vessel like you sometimes do, how do I get my arc to match the saucer? Cuz if you don't it will look funny.

I use FOAS's saucer tutorial, cause in it he teaches how to extrude the phaser arrays.  That way the shape and angle of the phasers always match the shape of the saucer, no matter what shape the saucer is in. 

As for TMP phasers, again, I like them textured on.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163376232.0.html

Just in case you're wondering where that tutorial is.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 01:10:46 am »
GAFY.

Just wanted to let you know that I got that lightmap and attached it.  What do you think of the effect?

P.S.

For you Starforce, the render features one of the alternate warp textures.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 01:49:53 am »
gone back to a more traditional setup I see. it looks good.

The sacuer tut I based mine on was from deemon, where as you start with a slice profile out of a spline. (so, you think of what the saucer would look like cut down the middle and then make the left or right hand side from the centerpoint, ofcourse it needs to be round) With this you can make say a bell starbase for the feds (sfhq) or a ufo, ect. The I made the spline, did the lathe and forgot what other thing I pressed, weld core or something...to get rid of the extra crap. Since i lost deemons tut I forgot how to do it right and it took a couple hrs of tinkering to figure what I messed up on, but I got something close to the volantis from JOAT which is what I want to build. (my thread is on BCC if you were curious)

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2007, 01:56:06 am »
GAFY.

Just wanted to let you know that I got that lightmap and attached it.  What do you think of the effect?

P.S.

I like the look better than the glowing grill definatily, the copper blends nicily with the red.

The Alternate wapside texture you used should also use the Alt_wrplit.bmp to get the silver matched on the back side of warp scoop area. When I read the post with out looking at the Picture I thought you did the renders using the wrpout_Alt4, wrpin_Alt4, and wrplit_alt4 in place of the orginals, as I know you liked the look of the warp engines using that build version. Either way i still like the orginal side texture over the silver lining one.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2007, 01:59:28 am »
GAFY.

P.S.

I like the look better than the glowing grill definatily, the copper blends nicily with the red.

The Alternate wapside texture you used should also use the Alt_wrplit.bmp to get the silver matched on the back side of warp scoop area. When I read the post with out looking at the Picture I thought you did the renders using the wrpout_Alt4, wrpin_Alt4, and wrplit_alt4 in place of the orginals, as I know you liked the look of the warp engines using that build version. Either way i still like the orginal side texture over the silver lining one.

Ahhh, my mistake.  I had been thinking about that warp side texture for the longest time, and wondered how it would look if used, so I threw it in there along with the more traditional warp intercooler grille texture.  And the warp bus texture, yep, it does look nice, doesn't it.  And the red comes out just beautifully.