Topic: Video Card Question from One Out of the Market for a While  (Read 8442 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Video Card Question from One Out of the Market for a While
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:54 pm »
I haven't shopped for a vid card in a long time now, and I don't know what's good, bad, ugly, fast, slow, or medium.

To be more precise, my son needs an upgrade from his ATI Radeon 9500 so he can play Call of Duty 4.

I thought about throwing in maybe another 512 stick of RAM in his computer, but he's adamant that the video card is way outdated.  I suspect he may be right.

So, what do any of you gents think is decent recent vid card that'll handle the graphics requirements of that game?  I'm not looking for any ueber card... nor am I looking for one that has one foot in obsolescence, as the card he has now is most likely obsolete.

So, thanks beforehand, folks!

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Video Card Question from One Out of the Market for a While
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:42 pm »
I believe his card IS way outdated.

Try something such as the Nvidia GeForce 8600.  Not really expensive, however, still on the edge of the game arena.  Biggest problem is I don't know if it will actually fit into the motherboard of your son's machine.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:56:31 pm »
If it's available as an AGP card, why not?

Ah, I see; the 8000 series is not available with the AGP bus.

Well then, what about the nVidia GeForce 7000 series cards?...

... or even the 6000 series?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:07:03 pm by E_Look NCC-9091 »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:17:27 pm »
I agree that the video card is outdated but I'm not sure how much you want to spend on it as you never specified a price.  Since I really don't think that you will be installing MS Vista on the machine I wouldn't suggest a latest greatest video card anyway.  I'm not sure you're going to find a 8600 Nvidia card for the AGP slot, I know there has been talk about it but I haven't seen any yet.  For Nvidia that leaves the mid-range 7600 series cards but remember that those cards will be as outdated as MS XP is now.  For ATI you might have a little better luck if you ever want to load Vista on your system.  I found a couple of cards that might be what you are looking for given the computers age:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814102718

Given the features of the cards I would probably go with the ATI card this time around even though the ATI card is a little more expensive.  Hope this helps.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:14:24 pm »
Hey thanks, guys.

Don, thanks for the range of cards.

Jav, hey, it's been awhile!

And from what little I've seen poking about just now, I'm inclined to agree that the ATI might be more bang for the buck.

But boy, am I out of it!  I was thinking that a midrange card would be BETWEEN $50 and $80 USD.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
well at lest you know what are available for agp and the ram for the price.

i can ask the com shop what best card will be for the game tomorrow, i still need to call them for my com and see if i will need to replace what if its not warranty .

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »
I just bought 2 ATi HD2600XT cards on eBay.  one for $90 one for $150 ( I plan to run them crossfire).  I think there is an AGP version of that card.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:33:02 pm »
I just bought 2 ATi HD2600XT cards on eBay.  one for $90 one for $150 ( I plan to run them crossfire).  I think there is an AGP version of that card.

There is, in fact the second link I posted points to a 2600XT.  The price on Newegg is for $114.99USD

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:37:13 pm »
Hey thanks, guys.

Don, thanks for the range of cards.

Jav, hey, it's been awhile!

And from what little I've seen poking about just now, I'm inclined to agree that the ATI might be more bang for the buck.

But boy, am I out of it!  I was thinking that a midrange card would be BETWEEN $50 and $80 USD.

Good seeing you again to Ed.  I was thinking ATI would be your best bet but I don't like to play favorites with video cards and the Nvidia card was a little cheaper.  I wish midrange cards were between $50 and $80 dollars, video card makers aren't that generous...   ;)

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:47 pm »
It's tough to find anything AGP anymore. The tech is at least one year out of date. As for what cards... the Radeon 9800pro if it's still found anywhere was a seriously good card and would be a step up from the 9500.

Although you might seriously want to consider upgrading the whole system to PCIe rather than spending $50-100 on a system that will be hopeless for current games in the near future.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »
i was looking for info for my monitor and found that

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:47:31 pm »
It's tough to find anything AGP anymore. The tech is at least one year out of date. As for what cards... the Radeon 9800pro if it's still found anywhere was a seriously good card and would be a step up from the 9500.

Although you might seriously want to consider upgrading the whole system to PCIe rather than spending $50-100 on a system that will be hopeless for current games in the near future.

Yipes, Lloyd!  It's a kid's... okay, a teen's... system.  I don't want to replace it with later technology because of this as reason 1.  Reason 2: after I built it for him, I told him that if he ever wanted another or a newer system, he'd have to finance it himself.  And reason 3: if I did, the other one's going to demand, "Hey where's mine?!"

The 9800 pro is still around, but scarcer and scarcer... and still expensive.

Don, yeah, I know that one; it's only marginally better than the one he's got in his system at present.  It might not be worth spending $30-$50 US for it.  Instead, with a bit more, I can get him one that might last just a bit longer, in terms of usability.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:23:47 am »
for a video card it can last a good 2 years but the problem is if you want a new game, it might be mostly you're cpu is too weak and need more ram, some will required a new video card but is the game worth it?

since i don't really buy new games i never need to change my system, mostly the prices of the games and is the game worth to buy or when you play you find that its not as fun.

if there was a place where you could try the games and see if it was good, but i never heard of a place like that and they should have one.

sure i will upgrade my com just so i can play that game and find out its not as fun or full of bug that you need to get more patch and finally the game can't be play because its not ready or will not work on you're com for some mysterious reason.

if game producer where serious when developing games more peoples would buy them.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »
Ah, he's got the Athlon XP Barton chip; it runs at 1.83 GHz.  It should be a sufficient CPU even for new games, as most of the processing takes place in the GPU of the video card, as far as I understand things.

It was such a great chip at the time!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:29:29 pm »
what is the diference betwen the agp and cpi video card?

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »
You mean pci or pci-express?

They are different bus types; or different connectors to the data routes on the motherboard to the CPU, etc.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 12:03:26 pm »
i know they don't have the same connector but is one better that the other or its the same?

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
Oh, forget about it!  PCI-e is much better than AGP; it has a higher throughput for the signal than AGP (allows it to be faster).

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 12:18:16 pm »
thanks, i will rememeber that when i get a new com, one that it will be build not a use one.