Topic: sg atlantis  (Read 25420 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
sg atlantis
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:56:46 pm »
i was looking at some episode of atlantis and see one thing, they always have a water bottle with them when they are at the cafeteria, so atlantis is not able to offer water or they don't drink anything else on the station?

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
Re: sg atlantis
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:02:04 pm »
Lots of coffee.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:59:46 pm »
well they don't drink coffee, only water bottle.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:16:03 pm »
why did they send sam carter to command sga?, why not send o'neil since he's a general?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:09:22 pm »
General O'Neil -  Retired

Colonel Samantha Carter - sexy

Enough said?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:59:13 am »
o'Neil retired?, then why send him negotiated with the ancient when they return to Atlantis?

i find that its a wast of her talent to send carter commanding sga, she's a scientists mostly, o'Neil his a commander.

i know that sam not bad looking but, ahh its just stupid.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:09 pm »
o'Neil retired?, then why send him negotiated with the ancient when they return to Atlantis?

i find that its a wast of her talent to send carter commanding sga, she's a scientists mostly, o'Neil his a commander.

i know that sam not bad looking but, ahh its just stupid.

You run into two answers.

1/ O'Neill is retired but who do they have who is better to negotiate with the Ancients?  He has not once but twice had their database in his head.  He has negotiated with multiple alien species and is fully cleared for all Stargate data.  Who else could equal his background?  Jackson perhaps but he isn't tough enough.

2/ Richard Dean Anderson doesn't want another series at this time, he is tired of it.  He doesn't mind doing individual episodes apparently. 

Carter (Amanda Tapping) isn't my choice for the best looker in the show either but she is popular that way.   I think that she would be better as military commander (who stays on base) and chief of research (displacing McKay to field work). 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:20:06 pm »
i was looking at Atlantis, the episode where sam, the doc and mc key fall into a old mine, when they get back to Atlantis the doc say that they put a cast on sam's leg, i was surprise to head that, they have all the knowledge and technology of the Asgard and they still do cast?

do they asgardian don't have anything for a broken leg?

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:45:51 pm »
The writers have stated that any tech that goes to the sgc and earth will always take time to filter through.
I guess that, when the Asgard gave earth the tech, SGC needed to focus on weapons and ship systems so they could counter the Ori.
Assuming the SGC and the IOC follow current guidlines on medical systems and treatments, it would take at least 5 years for anything new to be approved.

However, Atlantis has Ancient medical tech, and must have medical texts in it's database. One would assume some kind of AI or automatic systmes would be in place.... Unless the Ancients began following Holistic medicine just before they ascended? ;D
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:51:41 pm »
i was also thinking that Atlantis must have some medial database, it still got shield and weapons and can fly like a ship, so its mus have medical data someone?

also who's created the e2pz (the ancient battery), they must be some data on that so they can make new one or recharge the old one to power the city?

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 08:39:14 pm »
I do find it odd that there isn't some kind of technical knowledge of the ZPM power supplies in Atlantis. However, there have been many cases over the series where the Ancients seemed to prefer to do a lot of research off world. Perhaps the ZPM's were so plentiful that the technical info wasn't classed as that important.

Also, from what I can tell from various points of the series is that Asgard technology has advanced beyond what the Ancients had. If this is the case, I think that at some point in the next season, Atlantis will get some Asgard power cores and weapons.

God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:07 pm »
There is some inconsistency in the portrayal of the Ancients.  On the one hand  you have the various living Atlanteans who are seen as very like modern humans, they just know more.  On the other hand there was the Ancient woman found in Antarctica (millions if not 10's of millions of years frozen) who had some "mental powers" and the ability to heal others by touch and did not seem to be able to speak.

Do the Atlanteans really have a technology millions of years more advanced than ours?  Would they even remember the origin of their species if they came to Earth millions of years ago?

It could be explained by the Ancients arriving, using their galactic terraforming device then ascending leaving the frozen woman.  The Atlanteans (Alterrans?) could then have arrived from another galaxy thinking themselves the originals and take up the reputation and position of the earlier long vanished race.  Eventually the Atlanteans would ascend themselves and find out the truth.  This would make the modern humans a 3rd evolution of the human form rather than the 2nd as is repeatedly stated. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:20:14 pm »
I do find it odd that there isn't some kind of technical knowledge of the ZPM power supplies in Atlantis. However, there have been many cases over the series where the Ancients seemed to prefer to do a lot of research off world. Perhaps the ZPM's were so plentiful that the technical info wasn't classed as that important.

Also, from what I can tell from various points of the series is that Asgard technology has advanced beyond what the Ancients had. If this is the case, I think that at some point in the next season, Atlantis will get some Asgard power cores and weapons.

Alternately the ZPM tech could just be in an as yet unaccessed database.  It cold be encrypted or even destroyed to make sure the Wraith didn't get it. 

As Jack (with an Ancients database in his head) was able to design a replicator destroying weapon that the Asgard could build but not design it would appear that the Ancients still had a few tricks the Asgard did not know.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 03:29:29 pm »
also about the stargate itself.

fist the one in Giza was there because it was place there by ra or a goa'uld ?

the stargate in antartica that o'neil and carter discover  was place there by who?, if atlantis was on earth that make 3 gate on earth, what was the point in having 3 gates?

also the one on atlantis seem so much more advance that the rest of the stargate that we see, if its the Ancient who build the stargate what was the reason for making it?, in season 3 when the Ancient return to atlantis  why did they not use the stargate to return to they city?, they did created the stargate so why have they not make a new one or go to a planet where they have a gate and dial to atlantis, they did know where atlantis was since it was abandon on the planet for many century.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 07:26:18 am »
The Stargate in Antarctica was placed there by the Ancients.  It is the original gate on Earth (possibly in the galaxy).  Presumably the Ancients built an automated gate factory somewhere and left it alone producing one standard model and never bothered to update the design.  When Ra (Ra was a goa'uld) arrived on Earth he set up a new gate (why he didn't move the original gate is unclear, perhaps he didn't know it was there). 

The origin of Atlantis is never totally defined.  Was it built on Earth?  It clearly was meant to travel and could be the ship/city that brought the Alterrans to the Milkyway galaxy.  As such it might (for convenience) have had its own stargate as it could at times be far from the nearest gate.  It might also have had its gate installed once it arrived in Pegasus as it may well have travelled around a lot checking on the terraforming projects.  If it did have a gate when it was on Earth would have made 2 gates (Atlantis was gone before Ra arrived with the Giza gate).

Assuming that the Ancients had a centralized automated gate factory (as mentioned earlier) they would have had to make a new one in Pegasus and could easily have said "the Mark 1 gate was fine but we can make a better design for the Mark 2 gate" and done so.  Even if the city was already equipped with a Mark 1 gate they would then have replaced it with the upgraded design.  Don't forget that there is also some doubt as to whether the Atlanteans are the original gate builders (who left the frozen woman in Antarctica) or a later version who inherited the position.  As such the Milkway gates would have been built by the original gate builders and the Atlantis one by the Atlanteans (like the Aschen and Tollan built their own variant designs).

The gate address would seem to match a solar system ID.  Since Atlantis is capable of star travel the Ancients might have known where they parked it but could be unsure if the recent "car jackers" from Earth had moved it and thereby changed the address.  Also that would have meant abandoning their ship which they had no need to do, having a ship with no need to build a replacement would be convenient.  When SG-1 was aboard the Ha'tak attacking Earth they could only dial out (using Earth as the point of origin) once the Ha'tak was close enough to Earth to use the same home address, presumably the Atlantis DHD would have the same behaviour.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:58:39 am »
how many gates the have again?

the one from Giza was destroyed by ba'hal, then get the gate from the Russian who get it from a goa'uld ship, so what happen to the gate in antarctic?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 10:07:33 am »

the one from Giza was destroyed by ba'hal, then get the gate from the Russian who get it from a goa'uld ship, so what happen to the gate in antarctic?

The Giza gate went to the Asgard ship infested with Replicators, the Russians then fished it out of the ocean.  The SGC replaced the GIza gate with the Antarctic gate when they thought that the Giza gate was destroyed with the Asgard ship.  Then Ba'al destroyed the SGC gate (the Antarctic one) and the SGC bought the Giza gate back from the Russians.  So Earth had 2 gates prior to the destruction of the Antarctic gate and 1 after.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 10:14:41 am »
where did they gate or build the gates to the space bridge?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 10:25:34 am »

I'm assuming that you mean the gates linking the Milkyway to the Pegasus Galaxy?

They took them from unihabitied and uninhabitable worlds.  Presumably the Ancients used an automated system to disperse the gates and some of the worlds for whatever reason never became fully terraformed. 

What I want to know is how did they power them?  Thats a lot of gates and a lot of power. 

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 10:53:14 am »
Duracell alkaline battery  :laugh:

the one in the relay station was like the one on atlantis, seem more advance compare to the rest of them.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:55 am »
I've only seen the episode where they built it once but didn't they build it from both ends?  If they did then some of the gates would have been the Mark 2 gates from the Pegasus galaxy.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 09:12:10 pm »
I've only seen the episode where they built it once but didn't they build it from both ends?  If they did then some of the gates would have been the Mark 2 gates from the Pegasus galaxy.

The gates from both galaxies connected at midway station. It states that only the gate in Atlantis can connect to Earth, and as a result the Milky way. So Rodney had to use a special computer Programme / macro that allowed the connection to work through multiple gates, rather than direct to Earth.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:11 pm »
But what about the naquada generator that o'neil build to connect to the Asgard planet, can they use it to power the gate to dial to Atlantis?

when sheaperd and the other use a jumper and dial Atlantis in season 4, the dial from earth to Atlantis, so can they replicate what ever make it possible for they jumper to do that on sgc?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 09:29:19 pm »
But what about the naquada generator that o'neil build to connect to the Asgard planet, can they use it to power the gate to dial to Atlantis?

They were never able to replicate it.  They also had a hard time making it work again and I think that was at a reduced power level.  I'd have to check the episode as I don't recall the details.

when sheaperd and the other use a jumper and dial Atlantis in season 4, the dial from earth to Atlantis, so can they replicate what ever make it possible for they jumper to do that on sgc?

The DHD seems to be the power source even when the hand held or jumper dialer is used.  When at the SGC their substitute power source (nuclear power plant or 2) even if the hand held or jumper dialer is used.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 09:49:40 pm »

The Giza gate went to the Asgard ship infested with Replicators, the Russians then fished it out of the ocean.  The SGC replaced the GIza gate with the Antarctic gate when they thought that the Giza gate was destroyed with the Asgard ship.  Then Ba'al destroyed the SGC gate (the Antarctic one) and the SGC bought the Giza gate back from the Russians.  So Earth had 2 gates prior to the destruction of the Antarctic gate and 1 after.

Actually, it was Anubis who used the ancient device to destroy the Giza gate in the first two episodes of season 6.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 09:51:16 pm »

I'm assuming that you mean the gates linking the Milkyway to the Pegasus Galaxy?

They took them from unihabitied and uninhabitable worlds.  Presumably the Ancients used an automated system to disperse the gates and some of the worlds for whatever reason never became fully terraformed. 

What I want to know is how did they power them?  Thats a lot of gates and a lot of power. 

I'm wonder how you came up with the automated gate manufacturing and dispersal system. I've never heard of that.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 05:21:19 am »
Actually, it was Anubis who used the ancient device to destroy the Giza gate in the first two episodes of season 6.

Now that you mention it I believe it was Anubis but not the Giza gate.

Sequence of events:

1/ Giza gate used in the SGC
2/ Giza gate beamed aboard Asgard ship infested with replicators and dropped in ocean - assumed destroyed
3/ Antarctic gate installed in SGC
4/ Giza gate pulled from ocean by Russians and put in service
5/ Antarctic gate destroyed (by Anubis as you say)
6/ SGC gets Giza gate back from Russia

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 05:53:54 am »

I'm wonder how you came up with the automated gate manufacturing and dispersal system. I've never heard of that.

Educated guess.  Which is why I said "presumably".

In short it matches the standardized design and the locating of gates even on unused planets where the terraforming failed.  It also matches the scale and method by which the terraforming was done.  For the long answer see below. ;)

We know that they used such large scale independent automation because of the method of terraforming used.  The terraforming system was placed on one planet and used to affect the whole galaxy of potential targets with a generic "program" of terraforming.  Not all the terraforming went right.  Some planets did not develop humans, others developed near humans (the Nox and the Salish spirits of example).   This is a clear example of an automated system acting without direct supervision.   A supervised system would have had attempts to correct diviations such as the evolution of the Unas or the Wraith(before they became intelligent).

The gates in each galaxy were of a uniform design, even those supposedly built and placed by the goa'uld.  If the gates were built gradually and placed only on planets that had developed far enough to become useful or were interesting any directly controlled production system running for literally ages would have been tweaked and improved (as the Pegasus gate design was).  A purely automated system would built the same design until reprogrammed.  This is indirect evidence of the automated construction. 

The goa'uld would have made at least cosmetic changes to the design if they built the gate (they like "flashy" and the gates appearance is not "flashy").  This makes me think the goa'uld did not produce new gates but either found the factory and deployed from a stockpile or relocated gates from planets they found useless (and why did the Ancients place gates on useless planets?).

Gates were placed mostly on terraformed planets but also on planets which never became habitable and had no apparent life.  Some of those locations were apparently useless and of no special interest and a gate would not have been placed there by a manned ship but an automated system might have done so on the assumption that the terraforming process would succeed.  Also it appears that the Ancients never populated very many worlds in the Milkyway and had low populations.  To manually place as many gates as appear to be out there by survey crews visiting each world and evaluating it as to were and whether to place a gate would be a major long term project by a large population dedicated to the process.  Dedicating ships and personel would not be nearly as efficient as to use an automated dispersal pattern and fix misplaced gates as noticed by direct exploration.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:08 am »
the first replicator we see where the mini robot that form a bug.

later we see them as human because they have evolve or something like that

so it seem that the ancient created the replicator or that's what i remember, but in season 3 when the ancient return to Atlantis's they call the replicator ship to stop them, so these replicator where humanoid, but did the replicator bug and the humanoid are the same?

did the ancient created them, but the bug one are what?, since they where not calling a ship full of bug replicator to stop them since they have no intelligence or not enough to speak with them.

did they also created the wraith?

i know that the replicator that where trap inside a time bubble evolve to humanoid, but they where trap later by sg1, i know that later Daniel deal with replicator and was save by one of the ancient who acend, but its a bit of a mix.

they ancient created the replicator for what reason and maybe not the bug replicator, and the replicator where created to attack the wraith, so it would have be the humanoid one, if they are the same well where do the bug one came from or the humanoid one are all the same????

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
Assuming the Android Reese told the truth she was created by a human race that was technologically advanced quite early and created the replicators as toys.  Later she used them to defend herself and ultimately they modified themselves beyond her control.  Somehow they then made it to the Asgard galaxy.

The "Replicators" in the Pegasus galaxy were made by the Ancients to fight the Wraith but they became independent and learned to hate the Atlanteans and evolved themselves to their human form as did Reeses "children".

When the Atlanteans used their terraforming machine it didn't totally erase the existing life forms.  One such form the "Iratus bug" survived and preyed on humans.  In doing so it took human DNA into itself and evolved into the Wraith.  The area of the galaxy where they evolved was one that the Atlanteans were late getting to and by the time they did it was too late.  The goa'uld might be a similar thing in the Milky way (though I prefer my own theory of course :)).

I think that the writers were putting in some jokes.  The original Replicators might be referred to as "Reeses Pieces".  A CPU defect is a bug and is often referred to by Intel as an Errata.  Errata Bug = Iratus Bug.  Just my observation and they might not have been intended that way.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:36 am »
what happen to the ship the asgardian build?

did the blow them with the planet?

i forgot something, remember they droid copy of sg-1?. why the asgardian did not use that technologies for them self?

surly they could have perfected them?

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 12:23:01 pm »
what happen to the ship the asgardian build?

did the blow them with the planet?
They probably disassembled them, or docked them all on the planet for destruction. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:32:56 pm by SrCpt_SFHQ_XC »

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 12:26:17 pm »
they could have give it to the humans, since they already give all they're technology and knowledge to the humans.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 05:57:25 pm »
they could have give it to the humans, since they already give all they're technology and knowledge to the humans.

Perhaps they felt the Humans needed to learn to use and adapt the tech for themselves.
Though against the Ori and any rouge Gou'ld/Jaffa, a number of Asgard ships would have provided Earth some much needed aid.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 07:22:11 am »
I don't think that they specified what happened to the ships.  For all that has been said the ships might be sitting mothballed in the Asgard galaxy waiting for SG1 to find them in the data base.

Manning Asgard ships might be a problem.  Not only is there the issue of different design systems for the controls but simple things like the beds and bathrooms.  They might  be better cannibalized for components for ships that are primarily Earth built.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:20 am »
Were the all destroyed in battle as a possibility?  Or maybe taken over by replicators (almost said assimilated..whew!)

He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:33 pm »
It occured to me earlier today that in accounting for the Stargates in this solar system 1 (possibly 2) were missed. 

We know that a gate can survive being dropped into a sun, linking to a blackhole, being nuked etc so the Stargate aboard the ship of Apophis that was destroyed over the Earth (perhaps the 2nd ship had one as well) should have survived.  It is either still in orbit or has been recovered (possibly by the Russians OR it been recovered with the first Chinese manned mission). 

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:10 pm »
The Stargate can survive most everything WHILE active and if the energy is mainly directed into the front part of the stargate as then the energy from anything can then be absorbed by the wormhole and the gate. Only a real powerful blast from the rear part of the gate can break it apart(i.e. Mark 9). Gates not active are still tough (against most physical impacts, but no match for a explosion of that magnitude (Mothership exploding) I think.
Unless of course the writers decide to say that indeed the gate was still active after they jumped through the gate for that moment during the explosion ;) , then it probably did survive.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »
Just going by memory I think that some of the "major events" involving gates had the gate inactive when they occured.

1/  The nuked planet with the chain reaction in the crust was reconnected to afterwards to discover if the gate survived.

2/ The gate into a star was remote activated when it had reached the target depth.

3/ The one aboard the deorbited Asgard ship was also inactive at the moment.

4/ The gate hit by a meteor was not active or the meteor would have damaged the SGC.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 08:53:07 am »
Going to have to disagree with you a bit.

Just going by memory I think that some of the "major events" involving gates had the gate inactive when they occured.

1/  The nuked planet with the chain reaction in the crust was reconnected to afterwards to discover if the gate survived.
But, it was active at the time of detonation. That is what they were afraid of. All that energy pumping out radiation AND keeping the gate on indefinitely. It finally shut down at the 38 minute mark. I don't really remember them reconnecting to the gate later. But that isn't the issue anyway.

2/ The gate into a star was remote activated when it had reached the target depth.
Sam and Jacob connected to the black hole gate before even activating the shield on the gate in the hanger. They knew the black hole at the other end would keep the gate open long enough to do the job but would eventually be destroyed after the sun defeated the shield. The reason they turned it on then was they wanted to make sure it would activate. They didn't know for sure how long until the one on the black hole side would take to be destroyed by the hole. If it didn't activate, they were just going to leave the system before Apophis got there and take that gate to their new planet that wasn't on the Goa'uld map.

3/ The one aboard the deorbited Asgard ship was also inactive at the moment.
On this one, Are you sure it was inactive? SG-1 used that gate to get off the ship just prior to the ship disintegrating due to the heat of the uncontrolled re-entry.

4/ The gate hit by a meteor was not active or the meteor would have damaged the SGC.
And finally, this one was also on as, if you remember, Sam postulates that it was hit and knocked over but by being on, it made it so the worm hole was able to form on the later tries. If it was off when it was buried, it would have not have been able to open a wormhole due to the rock and other debris in the way, much as it would not be able to work due to being buried and a cover stone placed on and in the way like the original gate in Giza. It took Sam A Hundred Days to build the particle accelerator to turn the surrounding rock into plasma so the worm hole could expand enough to create the cavern Teal'C used to try and dig tot he surface.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:29 am »
Going to have to disagree with you a bit.

I used the IMDB to identify the episodes and my DVD collection to review them to check my memory.  I must admit I didn't score that well.

1/ Season 4 Episode 15: Chain Reaction

You were correct the gate was open.  I was mistaken. 

It doesn't make sense to me that they would do it that way due to the radiation risk.  Send the nuke on a timer, shutdown the gate, wait a minute and reopen it if possible.  If it succeeds no radiation and if it fails hopefully you have prepared for it with large amounts of shielding ready to be dropped into place on a moments notice.

2/ Season 4 Episode 22: Exodus

The gate into the sun.  Once more you were correct.  It was active.  But consider for it to have worked the gate swallowed by the blackhole had to be still functional at least for receiving wormholes.

3/ Season 3 Episode 22: Nemesis Part. Season 4 Episode 1: Small Victories

The Asgard ship was deorbited in Nemesis and the return to Earth was in Small Victories   They don't state whether the Gate was active when the ship broke up.  However Carter would not have allowed it to stay open behind them as the Replicators could have come through and infested another planet.  So logically it was off.  Not conclusive but probable.

4/ Season 3 Episode 17:  A Hundred Days.

The meteor struck the gate.  The gate was active but the strike caused the wormhole to shutdown prematurely, it fluctuated while Carter and Teal'c were in transit.  It might have been protected from the strike by the wormhole but not from the heat and molten rock caused by the impact.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
1/ Season 4 Episode 15: Chain Reaction

You were correct the gate was open.  I was mistaken. 

It doesn't make sense to me that they would do it that way due to the radiation risk.  Send the nuke on a timer, shutdown the gate, wait a minute and reopen it if possible.  If it succeeds no radiation and if it fails hopefully you have prepared for it with large amounts of shielding ready to be dropped into place on a moments notice.

If you remember, the replacement General, Bauer I believe, was doing a lot of dangerous things. At least according to Carter and Daniel. What the "Assessment" that he was given said that they expected the observation probe would be able to transmit back enough data before it and the Stargate was destroyed, thus severing the link before anything dangerous came through. At the time they were arguing about this, Carter brought up the fact that the gate is tough enough to survive some serious stuff, including "A direct hit from a meteorite."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:36 pm »
I didn't watch the episodes in their entirety when I was checking things, just fast forwarded to the relevant scenes.  Some time soon I will spend a few weeks watching the whole series and maybe find some stuff to add to this thread.  ;)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 06:10:57 am »
What can i say. I gave up TV a few years ago when i decided that I didn't want to pay the exorbitant rates cable was charging. My TV viewership was relegated to DVD. Naturally, I've seen everything I owned quite a few times.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 08:10:39 pm »
For me it was the brain damaging commercials.  I have quite a collection of DVDs too.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 07:08:08 am »
I was just sort of "free associating" the other day and a (better in my opinion) reason for Anubis being only partially expelled from ascension occured to me.

Anubis as a Gou'ald and (false) God had millions of worshippers.  That would (or at least could) endow him with extra power like the Ori.  The ascended Ancients might not have been able to restore him to mortality until Oma Desala sacrificed herself to weaken him.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 08:06:29 pm »
Stargate Atlantis - The Complete Fourth Season This title will be released on July 8, 2008.
American $31.99
Canadian $48.99

Still ripping off the Canadian market place. 

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 10:02:27 pm »
Now I have to wait until the blu-ray version comes out.  Sigh

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 05:50:05 pm »
They are releasing the blu-ray of the newest direct to video movie, Stargate: Continuum.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XOF5A/?tag=bonhoeffscell

Why they didn't do that for Ark of Truth is the question.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 05:51:50 pm »
The Stargate can survive most everything WHILE active and if the energy is mainly directed into the front part of the stargate as then the energy from anything can then be absorbed by the wormhole and the gate. Only a real powerful blast from the rear part of the gate can break it apart(i.e. Mark 9). Gates not active are still tough (against most physical impacts, but no match for a explosion of that magnitude (Mothership exploding) I think.

Unless of course the writers decide to say that indeed the gate was still active after they jumped through the gate for that moment during the explosion ;) , then it probably did survive.

I am watching the series again right now and just saw the episode where Apophis is attacking Earth and his two ships are destroyed.  Jackson was using the gate on Klorels ship when the explosion occured.  There was not time either before or after Jackson gating out for Apophis  and Klorel to use that gate to escape so they must have been using another gate.  BOTH ships must have had gates and the gates would have been active at the moment of collision.

So that makes it pretty certain that there were two more gates available near Earth for use in building the Pegasus bridge.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:03 am »

They took them from uninhabited and uninhabitable worlds.  Presumably the Ancients used an automated system to disperse the gates and some of the worlds for whatever reason never became fully terraformed. 

I'm watching Atlantis right now and just reached the 3rd Season episode Irresistible where they begin looking for "Space Gates" to build the bridge.  This is the same episode with Lucius Lavin who uses a drug to make people adore him. Weir does mention that they can retrofit normal gates for space use as well. 

As I see more I will update it.

Update:

I watched some more and the gate bridge was built from both ends, each end from gates in its own galaxy.  The Atlantis gate has a crystal that presumably has special programs to allow it to dial into the Milkyway network.  The Earth dialling computer presumably was programmed by O'Neill when he had the Ancients database in his head and dialled the Asgard galaxy.  It is the special programming not the crystal itself that allows the inter network dialing. 

It appears from the little I have seen that the midway station is to allow people to transit from one dialling network to the other.  I haven't seen the station itself or how they transit it.  One thing that is not explained is how the puddlejumpers can dial the Earth gate.  I'm going to re watch the episode where Atlantis is taken back from the Asurans.  One possibility is that Mackay rigged a way to switch the programming from Pegasus network to Milkyway network as needed on at least one puddlejumper.

How the bridge is powered is not explained to this point.  The space gates don't have separate DHDs, on planetary gates the DHD contains the power system.  Presumably the space gates have a power system that MacKay/Carter could have replicated.  This could explain how they are powered. 

MacKay calls it the MacKay - Carter Bridge and quietly says it was Carters idea. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:14:22 am by IKV Nemesis »

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2008, 10:59:39 am »
Think about this for a moment. 

Planetary Gate 1 with its DHD/Power source dials Gate Bridge #1.  This begins a cascade effect of each gate activating, holding the pattern in a buffer and then dialing Gate #2 with the stored energy of the first wormhole.  The program is controlled (I believe back on atlantis itself).  It is based on the technology established by Ba'al when he modified a virus program created by Lt. Colonel Carter that was implanted in various DHD (to track his movements through the Gate system and find his secret base).  They used Ba'al's program in the final battle with the replicators to dial ALL gates in the Milky Way Galaxy simultaneously from the single gate at Dakara.  They then fired the Ancient weapon on Dakara which emitted a pulse-wave that traveled throughout the galaxy simultaneously, destroying all replicators. 

The Bridge Station is exactly that, a space station connecting the two bridges.  During one Atlantis episode the Wraith mananaged to hack into the network and send assault teams to the bridge station.  Essentially one side of the station has the connection to the Pegasus gate network.  The other side is connected to the Milky Way Galaxy network. Visitors are quarantined at the Bridge Station for 24 hours before being allowed to travel to the other Galaxy and so the station has a permanent crew (of scientists although there are probably now more troops there) and quarters for visitors travelling between galaxies and stuck on quarantine (which included Teal'c during that episode).

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 08:06:38 pm »
I just watched Stargate Atlantis Season 4.

Planetary Gate 1 with its DHD/Power source dials Gate Bridge #1.  This begins a cascade effect of each gate activating, holding the pattern in a buffer and then dialing Gate #2 with the stored energy of the first wormhole.

The problem is losses.  Passing through 34 gates even with 99.9% efficiency you end up with ~ 96.75% of the original power at the halfway station.

There is also no sign that the energy of the wormhole is recovered and stored,

You might argue that the storage function was disabled on the prison world they rescued Linnea (Destroyer of Worlds) from to prevent escapes. 

You still need to explain why it wasn't working on Ernests world or the one with the two religious factions fighting over their origin (the gate was embedded in rock strata there).  Also the world where they gated into a museum with a fake DHD and were mistaken for terroists.  They should have been able to manually dial using the stored power in those circumstances but could not, they needed more power.  That leaves you needing power sources with each gate unless you can explain why those gates could not dial out with stored power.

The pattern itself with sufficient error correction in the system could be retransmitted but the wormhole energy would seem to be lost.   No reason it couldn't be self correcting when ZModem had that feature ~20 years ago.

The program is controlled (I believe back on atlantis itself).

It seems to be controlled from the 1st gate in system, either at the edge of the Milkyway or the Pegasus galaxy as appropriate.  When the Wraith tapped into the system and reached the SGC MacKay created a modified copy of the "macro" on a crystal that had to be installed into the DHD in a different Solar System (the orignal sending planet was occupied by wraith blocking them off) so that they could get to Halfway station and fight the wraith.

It is based on the technology established by Ba'al when he modified a virus program created by Lt. Colonel Carter that was implanted in various DHD (to track his movements through the Gate system and find his secret base).

Which episode was that?  I don't seem to recall them tracking Ba'al that way.

The Bridge Station is exactly that, a space station connecting the two bridges.

I just saw the episode where the Wraith reached the station and their "rationale" for no iris seemed excessively weak to me.  Even if it was accepted having an iris would be an extra level of security that would not be turned down.

I also don't see why they would leave the crystal in an unguarded gate instead of installing and removing it as needed or putting it on the 1st extra galactic gate at each end and dialing directly from the SGC or Atlantis with a GDO signal to activate the macro.  A return signal would indicate the iris was open and the macro activated before transit began.   The GDO signal could be sent ahead using subspace from that gate faster than the "macro" gate could dial the next unit deactivating each iris in sequence.

I did like that they fixed one thing that bothered me towards the end of Season 3.  Doctor Keller when she took over as head of medicine and complained how she couldn't handle it.  But she not only had the time but the resources to be made up like a fashion model.  In Season 4 they cut down the make up and she is much more convincing.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
I also thought the lack of an iris of some type was rather stupid. They can communicate through the gate bridge from Midway to either the SGC or Atlantis. Why couldn't they have a call back signal saying the iris/force field is open?

Also, if you remember, the wraith were only able to activate the bridge after Atlantis used it. I'm assuming they intercepted the instructions from McCay's macro that controls the bridge and then used that to start their own dialling sequence.

BTW, This episode, Midway, was definitely the best episode of the season.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:49 pm »
I also thought the lack of an iris of some type was rather stupid. They can communicate through the gate bridge from Midway to either the SGC or Atlantis. Why couldn't they have a call back signal saying the iris/force field is open?

Also, if you remember, the wraith were only able to activate the bridge after Atlantis used it. I'm assuming they intercepted the instructions from McCay's macro that controls the bridge and then used that to start their own dialling sequence.

Which all goes with what I said.  The first gate should have been isolated in intergalactic space.  Preferably with a minefield around each gate.  There should have been no gate with the programming accessible to the Wraith. 

Even done the way it was a team should have been on site to retrieve the macro crystal leaving the Wraith nothing to access.  The incoming wormhole to Midway should also have been coordinated with a subspace message functioning as the GDO and included voice and video as well as the code.  There should NEVER be unscheduled transit from Pegasus to Midway without full GDO, voice and video confirmation from at least 3 ranking officers (or equivalent), the risks from the wraith are too great.

Scanners should have detected the Wraith and released the aerosol retrovirus rending them harmless both at Midway and at the SGC.  Either Ancient or Asgard tech should have allowed the scanners to be installed.

BTW, This episode, Midway, was definitely the best episode of the season.

I lked the character development with Keller.  I disliked the way MacKay went from being ready to propose to chasing other women so quickly, he should have been too depressed.

As to episodes I liked Trio, where MacKay, Keller and Carter are trapped together.

I disliked the security flaws in Midway.  They should have had an iris.  The SGC should have closed the iris the moment the stunner came through the gate.  That would have stopped the wraith (as well as Ronan and Teal'c) dead.

I do plan to mention to my (Carter infatuated) nephew that I have seen the episode Carter dies in and how she dies.  I don't need to mention that the death gets undone.  ;)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:40 pm »

I do plan to mention to my (Carter infatuated) nephew that I have seen the episode Carter dies in and how she dies.  I don't need to mention that the death gets undone.  ;)

The last man?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
The last man?

Yes.  I haven't seen any of Season 5 and likely won't until the DVDs come out next year so I won't see what comes after that till this time next year.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:59 pm »
The last man?

Yes.  I haven't seen any of Season 5 and likely won't until the DVDs come out next year so I won't see what comes after that till this time next year.

I know that feeling. I gave up TV a while ago and haven't seen an episode since the season 1 mid-season cliff hanger except on DVD.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »
I know that feeling. I gave up TV a while ago and haven't seen an episode since the season 1 mid-season cliff hanger except on DVD.

I really only see broadcast TV if its on when I'm visiting someone.   Many TV shows have come and gone since I regularly watched it.  I tend to reach for the remote to pause without thinking its not a DVD. 

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 04:50:10 pm »

I really only see broadcast TV if its on when I'm visiting someone.   Many TV shows have come and gone since I regularly watched it.  I tend to reach for the remote to pause without thinking its not a DVD. 

I know the feeling! LOL I got a new HDTV a few months ago and hooked up the antenna cable just to see what i could get and see how HD broadcast channels look. Even after this long i still want to hit that fast forward button.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »

Just got reminded of this thread and it occurred to me that the power problem isn't as big as it appears. 

Consider that only the origin and terminus gates need to do the "demolecularize" and "reassembly".  The other gates only transfer the data stream / matter stream and like when McKay sent a pure data stream all the way to Earth it doesn't need a full size wormhole or the energy to open one.  The mini wormholes for a given range take less power which means lesser power sources or greater range.