Topic: Adding races to map  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Shadow9216

• Lt. Junior Grade
Adding races to map
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:28:14 pm »
I created a 5-race map previously (added a full Cardassian/Dominion side), and recently decided to try and add the Pirates as an enemy.  I modded the Definitions file in the map editor, and found that I could add Rakellian, but not Pirates...so I added the Rakellians and now they're an enemy too.  The only way, though, that I could add in the Pirates was to create my own map- so I didm and added Pirates and Ferengi as well.  Currently, the map has:

Neutral
Federation
Klingon
Romulan
Borg
Cardassian
Rakellian
Ferengi
Pirates.

The first time I tried it, the Ferengi were allied with the Federation, and about 2/3 of the map wasn't available- when I tried to move into it, I got a message saying "This hex is not available"...of the hexes that were available, I was attacked by the Borg and Cardassians, could attack the Rakellians, had a Ferengi cruiser join my fleet (??), and found pirate space, but nothing to attack.  Thinking that the Ferengi were allies because I hadn't left a neutral zone between the regions, I "Fixed" the map; now it doesn't work at all- I keep getting some C++ error.

Does anyone know how to make this work?  Or what I did wrong?  I think it would be a blast to have more races to fight with, right now the Pirates show up mostly in Surprise Reversed missions, and I've added the Ferengi to the Rakelli just to see if it works (it does).  But it would be better IMO to have dedicated "Space" for each set of ships.

Offline Shadow9216

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Adding races to map
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:35 pm »
BTW, if anyone would like a copy of the map to see if you can figure out where I went wrong (or just to play with) I'll be happy to send you one.

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:14:35 pm »
Hello,
You need to change the 'Political Tensions' found in the 'Metamap.gf' found in 'MetaAssets\ServerProfiles\singleplayer' for single player campaigns.

Here is an example:

[PoliticalTension/StartingTensions/Federation]
Federation=0
Klingon=1000
Romulan=800
Borg=1000
Species8472=1000
Cardassian=800
Ferengi=200
Rakellian=1000
Pirate=1000
Neutral=800

[PoliticalTension/StartingTensions/Klingon]
Federation=1000
Klingon=0
Romulan=800
Borg=1000
Species8472=1000
Cardassian=800
Ferengi=200
Rakellian=1000
Pirate=1000
Neutral=800

If the Federation had

[PoliticalTension/StartingTensions/Federation]
Federation=0
Klingon=0

and Klingon

[PoliticalTension/StartingTensions/Klingon]
Federation=0
Klingon=0

Then the Federation and Klingon are allies.

The higher the tension the more aggressive the enemy race is.

Hope that helps.

Worfy  ;D

Offline Shadow9216

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:24:29 pm »
Thanks- I can see how that would make a difference.  I made a new map and now all the hexes are available; the Ferengi are still allied, but I'll make the change you illustrated and see if that makes them an enemy.  As it stands now, I've fought Romulans, Rakellians, Pirates, Cardassians, and Borg.  Pretty intense!

Offline Shadow9216

• Lt. Junior Grade
8 race map works!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:27 pm »
Okay, it worked- the Feds and Klingons are alllied against the Romulans, Ferengi, Borg, Cardassians, Rakellians, and Pirates.  Interestingly, the Pirates seem to attack themselves as well as the other races (they are pirates after all). 

The news seems to reflect everything going on as well.