Topic: Server invisible to others for multi-player on-line  (Read 6289 times)

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Server invisible to others for multi-player on-line
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:57:14 am »
Hello,
I am having a problem with 3 new servers for SFC3 on-line gaming, only I can see the server on-line.

This is what I have done so far thanks to advice from Bonk and Pestalence.

I have change my internet setting to a static IP, which as an aside has made my internet connect much faster.

I have been doing a bit of investigation and it appears that my router is acting as a proxy server so I logged on a fantastic site called http:\\portforwarding.com

The site is safe and offers great advice on network configurations for all routers and on-line games.

If you have time I have loaded the MiniDW server again on the 534b patch, please let me know if you can see the server listed in the board.

Worfy  ;D

Offline Raztax

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Server invisible to others for multi-player on-line
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:17:24 pm »
I cannot see that server online. I'm pretty sure that you were prepared for this headache though, as routers and gaming don't mix very well.

I'm sure that you have already put your pc's internal IP address in the DMZ of the router?

What do you mean you 'set a static IP' do you mean in the router itself? It's a good idea, BUT just remember, when the day comes that your IP changes, your internet will stop working until you reset that 'static' IP again. There are very very few ISP's that offer actual static IP addresses to residential customers.

Just for kicks, if it's possible, connect your pc directly to the modem (bypass the router), unplug the modme for about 15 seconds, plug it back in, once the lights say it's back online, either restart your pc or do an ipconfig /release and renew from command prompt, and then see if the server shows up for other people. That way you will at least know, 100% that it is (or is not) the router causing the problem

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:00:22 pm »
Hello,
Still trying, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(

I have contacted Thomson, my modem router supplier here is what they suggest;

as for your servers I believe you have to open the respective ports in the modem for them so that they are visible again and further you need to enable ping from internet. It should be done through telnet and here is syntax for it.
service system ifadd name=PING_RESPONDER group=wan

I know about the ports but the ping thing is foreign to me, help  :'(

Worfy  ;D

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:05:46 pm »
Hello again,
What do you mean you 'set a static IP' do you mean in the router itself? It's a good idea, BUT just remember, when the day comes that your IP changes, your internet will stop working until you reset that 'static' IP again. There are very very few ISP's that offer actual static IP addresses to residential customers.

I have set this up Via 'Control Panel', 'Internet Connections' as explained on portforwading.com

Worfy  ;D

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:44 pm »
Directory servers arent talking to Gamespy...

It is being addressed...

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163380397.0.html

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 01:42:34 pm »
Hello,
Let me explain in a bit more detail;

Usually when I start a new Sfc3 on-line server and join the server via multiplayer the game starts like this:-

(1) connecting to access server
(2) connected

(3) connecting to directplay

after the 90 count down,

(4) could not find external ip
(5) now trying reported ip

After 2 or three restarts the game connects.

Now the following happens:

(1) connecting to access server
(2) connected

(3) connecting to directplay

and it connects straight away without running down at least twice.

I can see the on-line server fine, but it is invisible to others.
I know it is running on-line due to the connection response to and from the Access servers.

Hoping this helps in a  resolve to this issue,

Worfy  ;D

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »
Hello,
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, hehe.

I have fiddled more, can you see the 'worfs test' server in the board on the 534b patch?

Many thanks,

Worfy  ;D

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »
Hello,
Can anyone see the 'worf test' server in the board for the 534b patch?  ;)

Much appreciated,

Worfy  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:17 am »
Hello,
Can anyone see the 'worf test' server in the board for the 534b patch?  ;)

Much appreciated,

Worfy  ;D

I was on the D3 servers a few times yesterday, and didn't see any Worf Test server listed.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:36:41 pm »
Hello,
I must be real dull.  :D
I have just spent 3 hours in a conference call with my isp and modem provider, cost a fortune, 750 dollars, lol

Well we tested and tested made many changes still no difference, invisible server on-line.

So the ISP agreed to run a server with the correct port settings and guess what, no server in the board. :'(

And now I have checked back on how many new D3 servers I have  seen result = zero, Unity6 tried no joy, many friend I have tried no joy!

What is really going on, I am 100% sure it is not my router.

Worfy  ;D

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:07 pm »
Have you followed the users manual.. this manual was made off beta patch 1.01, however it is still valid today on server kit v534_b..

When you install server kit v534_b, it should have been an EXE file. If you have the correct server kit, it will auto launch the manual in a web browser.

Verify that you have the SFC3_Beta_Server_Kit_Build_v534_b.exe file to install the server kit.. if this is not what you have (it should also be stated that it was created by me), then you need to get the correct server kit package.

The manual will tell you what you need to configure for the server kit to be see online.

If you do not have the correct server kit, or a different patch version kit, it will not be seen online except by those running the patch version of the server kit.

Example, if the server kit is v532, then only people running patch v532 can see the server, not people running v534.

Hope that this helps.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 03:13:15 pm »
Hello,
Is this the correct server kit?

This will install the full version of Star Trek Starfleet Command III patch 1.01 Beta 2 build v534 revision B. Installer Created by Pestalence with assistance from TAG-Tombstone.

If not let me know please.

Worfy  ;D

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 03:18:19 pm »
Hello again,
Can you give me a link to the 534b server kit, just be sure.

Thanks,

Worfy  ;D

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 07:22:06 pm »
That seems to be the correct server kit that you have.. here is a link off my old site.. but the DL is slow.

http://www.nightsoftstudios.com/effhq/files/SFC3_Beta_Server_Kit_Build_v534_b.exe

You may want to check the user manual in your server folder. the file is called

D3serverManual.html

Also don't forget that you need to install the server kit executable. To do this, You have to open command prompt (on Vista you have to open command prompt with Administrator privileges).

I would first make sure that my ports on my firewall or router (do not use both.. You only need either a firewall or a router.. A router is a hardware firewall and should not be used with any other firewall) are set correctly for both SFC3 and Gamespy Arcade.

Then in the command prompt, navigate to where you installed the server kit. For example on my system I kept it easy. During the install process, I changed the install directory to C:\Server_v534_b and allowed it to create a new folder.

In XP, I would click start, click Run, type in CMD and hit OK.     In Vista I would go to Start > Programs > Accessories and right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

In the dos prompt I would type

CD\

CD C:\Server_v534_b

your dos prompt should look like

C:\Server_v534_b>

now you want to type in

ServerPlatform.exe -install

It should verify your IP address and register it with your server kit.

You can now close the Command Prompt window.

In the users manual, Section 2 shows how to launch the server correctly.. I'll post it here for you.

2. Basic Server setup

2.1  Open ports
Make sure the following ports are open so the server can properly communicate via the internet:

tcp 26100 - 26110
   udp 2302 - 2400
   tcp 27100 - 27110
   udp 27100 - 27110
   tcp 8085 and 6073
   udp 8085 and 6073

2.2 Edit server name and description

Open the Campaign1.mct file in Notepad or any text editor. Where it says:

Name="Dynaverse3"
Description="REMEMBER! Change the Name and the Description BEFORE starting a server with this kit.  Thanks!"

Change "Dynaverse3" to whatever you want to name your server, examples include "The Neutral Zone" and "Dominion Wars". Make sure that whatever you type here you keep the parenthesis ("") around your server name. You must also change the Description to something other than the default text. Type whatever you
want in here, to describe your server to the public. Examples include notes about your campaign or the URL to your website.

2.3 Edit Chat name

Go to the Assets/ServerProfiles/Chat.gf file and look for the value: NickName="SFC3N". You need to change this value to something more personalized, since your server's chat nickname cannot be the same as another server's.

2.4 Start the server

Execute the program ServerPlatform.exe located in the root of the server kit. Select option 2 _CentralSwitchPlusAllServers to start the server.

2.5 Stopping the server

If you want to stop the server later, hit any key to bring up the menu and select option 1 Shutdown.
If you stop the server without performing this step, the server will not save the current database, and
the next time you choose to run the server it will load the last Exit Save, which could be hours days
or even weeks old depending on how long your server has been up. The server only does an "exit
save" when you shut it down properly with option 1.

I hope that this helps.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:13:33 pm by Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team