Topic: Akyazi: Shake Up  (Read 20778 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Akyazi: Shake Up
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:57:25 pm »
Hold onto your hats people, I actually have a second story on the go! One that I'll be able to post alongside my Rihannsu story. This and a couple of other stories (and RL issues) are the reasons I've not been on much at all recently. I've been hitting the writing pad quite extensively! As long as I can kick myself out the door to go to Starbucks, I get a couple of hours of writing/transcribing done each day, as well as taking up The Guv's mantle of "writing a few pages while on lunch at work".

Suffice to say, I am very pleased with my progress. Typically though, because I am writing it out, and this is what I'm mostly doing when I have the time, my transcribing is way behind. I don't want to douse my creative flames by trying to edit while still having the urge to write.

So, without further ado, here's the beginning of Scottish Andy in the 24th 1/2 Century!   :D

Introduction

This is actually my third Akyazi story, and the main character has actually gone through a few name changes, though her appearance, character and ancestry as remained (mostly) as originally planned. The reason I'm putting it out first is because it is the first tale in the chronology. Along the same lines as my 'Rihannsu Scout Mission' (the latest chapter of which is out and desperately yearning for feedback *hint hint*), 'Shake Up' is a "gaining command, first mission" story. I've had to deal with a few new concepts from writing in the Classic Era, as well as a slightly different mentality driving the characters. We'll see how well I fare in that respect.

The story itself came about from some various half-remembered reasons, but mainly it was my research into ship commissioning/launching ceremonies, promotions, and an idea that struck me that changed a major factor in the main character and suddenly made them more interesting and engaging for me. I just had to sit down and start writing.

So, we'll see if you feel that enthusiasm too. Don't be shy about commenting!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:18:19 pm by Scottish Andy »
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Akyazi: Shake Up - Chapter One
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »
Chapter One

“First Officer, please report to the Captain’s ready room.”

Commander Carin Oshima looked up from her game of tri-D chess at the summons over the ship’s intercom to give her opponent an apologetic look. She tapped her combadge and responded, “Oshima here. I’m on my way.”

The Caitian male shrugged it off with a smile and friendly wave. “Computer, record current positions and save game.” It chirped an audio acknowledgement of his instruction.

“We’ll pick this up again later, N’Trarr,” Carin promised him, “but I won’t keep you. Since I don’t know what he wants me for, I don’t know how long I’ll be.”

“Most kind, Commander. I’ll look forward to it,” he replied maintaining his smile despite the formality of his words.

She sighed. “N’Trarr, I’ve been telling you for close on three years now to call me ‘Carin’, especially on off-duty moments like this. Are you ever going to?” she asked with mock forlornness.

“I may,” he responded thoughtfully, his yellow eyes glinting with humour. “Such anticipation, however, gives you something to look forward to every day we serve together.”

She threw her hands up in a ‘why do I even bother’ gesture, to which he responded with a Caitian grin full of teeth. She smirked back at him and headed for the nearest turboshaft.

Carin arrived at the door to the captain's ready room and pressed the chime, which  dutifully opened a moment later. Striding up to his desk, she caught the reflection of a tall, striking Japanese woman with elegantly coiffed jet black hair piled up at the back of her head looking back at her from the room's expansive viewport. Her entrance brought Captain Arkady Asamov’s head up from his perusal of the information on his desk terminal screen, and his thoughtful look was immediately replaced by a pleased expression and he greeted his executive officer. “Ah, Carin. Thanks for coming. Take a seat, please.”

Carin nodded at him and sat in the indicated chair across from him, finding his choice of words slightly funny. It wasn’t as if she couldn’t have shown up. Off duty or not – and an XO was never actually ‘off duty’ on her own ship – the captain had requested her presence. She amused herself with scenarios of her refusing to show, citing ‘a fascinating chess game’ or ‘washing her hair’. It also reminded her that someone’s version of politeness or courtesy could just as easily be irritating for all that it was motivated by good intentions.

“No problem sir,” she responded after banishing her momentary wool-gathering. “I was caught in a sticky position in my chess game that I really need to think over before I commit to my next move. I was glad of a way out.”

“Glad I could help, then,” he smiled at her. “And on that note I’ve got something here that I want you to read.” So saying, he spun his screen around to face her and said, “Read it aloud, Commander.”

Puzzled, she nonetheless complied. “Stardate 45089.5. From: Admiral Peter David, Starfleet Personnel. To: Captain Arkady Asamov, CO USS Endeavour NCC-71805. Regarding: Commander Carin Oshima, XO of same…”

She paused briefly to query him. “Trying to get rid of me, Sir?”

The stocky, iron grey-haired and bearded Russian fireplug that was her CO adopted a stern demeanour. “Keep reading, Commander. That’s an order.” He spoiled the effect somewhat with an encouraging smirk.

Giving him an uncertain smile in return, she continued reading. “Captain, it is with great pleasure that I inform you of the results of the career review.” Carin’s heart began to beat faster and she got more excited as she kept reading. “It is the decision of this Review Board that we concur with your own assessment of this individual’s capabilities and potential. Their service record to date shows them to be properly qualified and this Board agrees with your predictions of their future career in the Service to which they have already shown such dedication.

“This, in conjunction with your personal endorsement!” she yelped in pleased surprise, “of this officer has led this Board to accept your recommendation to advance this officer to the rank of Captain in the Line Division of the Star Fleet!”

She was on her feet now, leaning over his desk as she continued to read, breathless with excitement and her eyes wide. She flashed him a look of pure joy and gratitude, and read the final few sentences with her voice slowly climbing in pitch.

“Effective as of this stardate, commissioned officer Carin Oshima is to consider herself promoted to the rank of Captain, with all the responsibilities and privileges thereof. This officer is of course free to decline this offer of promotion if they feel they are more needed in their current role and position. Should they accept you are authorised as Starfleet Command’s direct representative to grant this officer their Captain’s pips and order them to report ashore at Starbase 214 no later than stardate 45122.3 to assume their new post as Commanding Officer of the starship USS Akyazi…”

She tailed off there, speechless for some moments. When she looked back up at her captain he held out the velvet jewel box usually associated with a different tradition, its lid open to reveal two shiny new, solid gold rank pips.

They’ll look so damn good next to my other ones, she thought giddily.

“Congratulations, Captain Oshima,” he told her, black eyes shining with pride and satisfaction, and held out his hand over the desk.

Carin’s mouth flapped open and closed a few times without any sound coming out, but she grabbed his hand and pumped it delightedly.

Thank you, Sir!” she finally pushed out past her shock and surprise. “But why didn’t you tell me you’d recommended me for my captaincy?”

Letting go of her hand he came around his desk to her side as he replied. “Recommendations for promotion are not always accepted by the Brass, even ones from highly thought of captains like myself,” he told her without false modesty. “I didn’t want to get your hopes up just to have them dashed against the rocks of bureaucracy. Besides, I wanted to surprise you.”

“You certainly did that, Sir!” she told him, still wearing her slightly dazed grin.

He looked at her a little funny then. “You haven’t actually indicated whether you want these or not, Commander,” he teased, admonishingly waving the jewel box still waiting in his other hand. “Don’t tell me I have to send a flowery ‘thanks but no thanks’ note back to—”

Gimmie those!” she yelled and lunged for the box.

“…and so it is with equal measures of joy and sorrow that I take my leave of you this day,” Carin said to the assembled crowd in Endeavour’s vast main shuttlebay, which had been dressed up by Ship’s Services into a function hall for this event. “Sorrow because I am leaving behind such a fine ship and crew and many friends, and joy… well, that should be obvious.” She grinned at the light laughter and smiles that greeted her words.

“Not to keep you too long from the festivities of finally getting rid of me, let me just finish by saying that I’ll miss all of you. Yes, even you, N’Tarr!” The Caitian’s “Fffffttt!” was easily heard over the laughter her comment provoked. “It has been an honour and a pleasure serving with you all. Thank you.”

Some hearty applause and a few cheers greeted her stepping down from the small stage, and Captain Asamov himself handed her a crystal flute of sparking champagne, the real stuff in this case. Asamov held to a long-running personal tradition of toasting his officers with genuine bubbly, even it if wasn’t actually from France on Earth.

“Thank you, Sir,” she told him as she sipped on the 2367 Rachmananov from his homeworld on the New Paris Colony.

“Sounds like you’ve learned more that just command skills from me, Captain,” Asamov opined. “Asamov’s Public Speaking 101: Keep it short, to the point, and light.”

Carin smiled. “I’ve learned a lot from you, Sir, and I’m grateful. Thank you,” she told him quietly and sincerely, and offered her hand.

Asamov took it and returned her smile. “You’re welcome. And I keep telling you: call me ‘Arkady’. You don’t need to call me ‘Sir’ any more,” he playfully admonished her.

And that was something else she couldn’t quite wrap her head around – having this Starfleet legend as a peer. Asamov had been a starship captain for longer than Carin had been a Starfleet officer. Even before Wolf 359 his missions had been required reading at the Academy, and since then… Arkady Asamov and his ship held a singular distinction: that of surviving the Borg assault at the Battle of Wolf 359 with his ship still in one piece and active. Certainly, the Endeavour had been crippled and her offensive capability neutralised, but she’d still been in once piece, under command, and with power at the end of the day. When so many others had been utterly destroyed, wrecked, or had their entire crews killed, the magnitude of Endeavour’s luck could not be understated.

Despite losing scores of her eight hundred crew and requiring some nine weeks in the repair yards at Utopia Planitia, Asamov’s Endeavour had been christened as a “lucky” ship thereafter and her legend had only grown since. People fought to be assigned as one of her crew in much the same way as for the newer Galaxy-class explorers.

And this man in command of this ship and this crew had recommended and gotten her a promotion to captain. Simply put, she was overwhelmed.

“Sir… Arkady, I… I’ll do you proud,” was all she could think to say.

“I know you will, Carin. You already have, remember?” he made the point to her with raised eyebrows. “I wouldn’t have put you forward if I didn’t think you capable.”

His words warmed her and gave her confidence, and she smiled her continuing gratitude to her mentor of four years.

“Now, stop standing there trying to think of new and original ways to say ‘thank you’,” he scolded her mock-sternly, tugging on his short, well-kept beard. “Go say goodbye to your friends and reinforce in their minds how lucky you are and how wonderful I am.”

Carin laughed delightedly and continued to chuckle as he made shooing motions with his hands, his eyes twinkling. "Goodbye Sir, and thank you!

“See you around the galaxy, Captain,” he returned and saluted her with his champagne flute. He watched her get swallowed instantly by the hundreds-strong crowd. “Good luck, Carin,” he murmured as he took another sip of the excellent ’67 Rachmananov.

Many hours later, Carin tiredly stumbled into her temporary quarters in Starbase 214’s Officer Country, her head ringing still from the hubbub of her farewell party and the moderate quantities of real alcohol she’d indulged in there.

She really really wanted to go see her new ship right away, but had wisely decided not to show up and give her new crew a first impression of her as a sleepy drunk, even if it was only an in-port night watch.

It still didn’t reduce the urge she felt to go one iota, though. She was as excited as a five-year-old on Christmas Eve who knew she had to go to sleep for Santa to show up but just couldn’t calm down enough to let sleep take her. Struck with the appropriateness of the analogy down to almost the last detail, she went to the replicator and got a mild ‘over-the-counter’ sedative and a blood-scrubber to begin the work on cleansing her system of the booze she’d imbibed.

She stripped out of her uniform and lay tiredly on the bed, her mind still racing with thoughts of her ship, her officers, its tech specs, proposed mission priorities, and areas of operation.

Her last thought before the Sandman worked his narcoleptic magic on her was I don’t know I’m ever going to get to…
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:18:42 pm by Scottish Andy »

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
Re: Akyazi: Shake Up - Introduction
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »
He looked at her a little funny then. “You haven’t actually indicated whether you want these or not, Commander,” he teased, admonishingly waving the jewel box still waiting in his other hand. “Don’t tell me I have to send a flowery ‘thanks but no thanks’ note back to—”

Gimmie those!” she yelled and lunged for the box.

I giggled

;D

RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: Akyazi: Shake Up
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »
A good start but needs more meat. I don't mean it to sound like I'm disappointed, cause I'm not. But considering that you have another new ship in your other story that also has yet to leave port on its first mission with a new CO...I'm sensing a pattern. I hope Akyazi launches more quickly.

I happily await more, however, and find a TNG setting refreshing. TOS/TMP is done to death on this site. I love em, but...dammit. [ANd yes, I realize that's what I write mostly in too, plan to rectify that eventually]

I need more for a better comment than this.

--rog
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:42 pm »
You know, my first thought was that it was about time somebody here started on a decent TNG era story.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Akyazi: Shake Up - Chapter Two
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:20:10 pm »
Okay, here's another bite-sized section. In my old stories, these two would have been one chapter.

Chapter Two

Carin awoke bright and early with no trace of her hangover and feeling well rested. She was doubly glad of the sedative as she was quite sure without it she’d have spent the entire night tossing and turning, too excited to sleep. A quick but unhurried sonic shower started her morning ablutions, and a light breakfast later she was out the door in a freshly replicated uniform with every step taking her closer to her new command.

She took a turbolift up from the habitat section into the cavernous bulb-shaped dry-dock, but didn’t go directly to the bay where her ship was moored. Instead, she went to the nearest viewing gallery and peered into the twilight gloom of the enclosed dry-dock to locate her ship’s bay. She was a bit too far away to make out her ship in any real detail, but now that she had an idea of where everything was in relation to everything else, she was able to pick another viewing gallery that would give her a good look at the Akyazi.

As a deep-space scout cruiser, Carin suddenly realised that her Akyazi was a direct descendent and spiritual inheritor of the mission of her grandfather’s first command, and the thought warmed her. I’ll be following directly in the footsteps of Grampa Drew, she mused. I wonder if he’s gotten my video message yet? She would have liked to have her family, and especially her Grampa, here for the commissioning ceremony, but unfortunately the travel time from Neo Caledonia by civilian transport had been too long to make it without a direct, high-speed courier flight.

Even though she couldn’t actually see her very well from here, Carin still lingered to savour her first glimpse of her first ship. From here all that could be seen was a flat saucer poking out from behind four nacelles in a modern redesign of the venerable Constellation class, some of which were still in service; a tribute to how well they built ships back in the 23rd century.

The whole ship was barely two subjective inches across but Carin stared hard at her for over a minute before finally leaving and taking the turbolift to a better-positioned gallery.

On arrival there, Carin took slow, almost hesitant steps to the massive clearsteel window. At this busy sector of the starbase’s interior there were many ships being worked on, and several ship-spotters were in attendance. She ignored them and focused on the starship that was now hers as it slowly revealed itself to her the closer she got to the window.

This time the laterally elliptical saucer was in the forefront and the silver-blue finish of its short, wide upper surface was spread out before her, with two nacelles rearing above the aft edge on their solid-looking dorsal neck. Their lower twins were mostly hidden under the saucer and vertical superstructure from her viewpoint. Taken like this and as a whole, her ship suddenly put her in mind of the manta rays she’d seen while attending Starfleet Academy on Earth, though the image was somewhat spoiled by the four short nacelles instead of a long single tail.

Carin took in the lines of the Cheyenne-class and the overall impression her ship left her with was one of sleek agility. This was no massive, lumbering explorer-type ship with close on a thousand crew, but neither was she a stripped down, no-frills courier. The broad but shallow saucer gave plenty of room for her 250 crew, and while that crew didn’t have all the latest toys in embarrassing quantities, neither was she a Klingon prison barge.

Akyazi hung against the backdrop of the busy starbase as if impatient with all the fussing and eager to get out and away from it all. This was despite her warp engines being dark and exterior running and spotlights being off, but the blaze of her interior lights was bright and clear in the dim twilight of the dry-dock.

Carin took the time to commit her every line and detail to memory as she wouldn’t be seeing her ship from the outside for some time. Thus satisfied, she finally turned away and walked to the gangway to board her ship.

“Damnit Thelinar, our new captain is due here today! I’m surprised she’s not here already! She’s probably going to show up at any minute and the duty roster still hasn’t been worked out to anyone’s satisfaction!” Commander Terev chim Vokrak bellowed at Akyazi’s second officer as he paced quickly back and forth behind her in the conference room on Deck Two.

Lieutenant Commander Thelinar zh’Koral spun her chair to face her superior and narrowed her celery-green eyes at the bellicose Tellarite. “Don’t you ‘Damnit Thelinar’ me, you useless sack of wet pubes!” she snarled back at the first officer. “It’s you who keeps invalidating all our efforts in that area with nothing more helpful than a ‘not acceptable’ or ‘needs more work here’. If you’d stop rolling around the bridge like a gut-bellied warthog and actually contribute something to whatever you find unacceptable, we’d have locked this down days ago!”

Terev again fought to stop his cheeks ballooning out in pleasure at finding an alien cultured enough to indulge him in Civil Conversation, and blessed the Twin Moons for both putting Thelinar on the same ship as him on his last tour and for transferring her to this new ship with him for his next. He mostly succeeded in maintaining his attitude of perpetual belligerence, but to the Andorian it just looked as if he’d puffed himself up pompously.

“If you weren’t as addled as a two-year-old unhatched Gorn egg, you could have figured out what was wrong with it and what it was that I wanted without me needing to lead you along by the snout!” he complained in return.

You’re the Personnel Officer, you woolly-headed tick colony! This is supposed to be your task anyway!” she retorted pointedly.

“As Records Officer, you’re supposed to have valuable input on these matters. So come up with something valuable!”

“How about I shove some gold-pressed latinum up your—”

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!” a voice roared from behind them. They both spun around and Thelinar jumped up from her seat to face the new arrival, only to cringe upon seeing the captain’s pips at her throat. “I asked you both a question,” the tall, pink-skinned captain – undoubtedly their new CO – stated in a far quieter and more dangerous-sounding voice.

Thelinar felt her antennae droop despite her best efforts to remain professional, but Terev brightly stepped into the fray with the bald truth.

“Ah, Captain, welcome aboard!” he told her as if she hadn’t just started chewing them out. Lina saw the Human’s face darken at being taken lightly, but fortunately for all Terev continued with what he should have said first. “The Lieutenant Commander was indulging in some Civil Conversation with me. I find it helps me relax, and I was feeling somewhat tense this morning.”

The Human captain blinked at that, though whether it was from trying to decide if she’d heard the term “Civil Conversation” before, the apparent opposite meaning of the words to what she’d just heard, or how such heated yelling could possibly be relaxing, Thelinar couldn’t tell.

It was apparently the former, as she asked, “That was… Tellarite Civil Conversation?”

Nodding first in affirmation then in understanding, Terev replied, “Your first time hearing it, no doubt, Sir. But let me introduce ourselves,” he continued, changing gears. “I’m Commander Terev chim Vokrak, First, Chief Science, and Personnel Officer of the Akyazi. This is Lieutenant Commander Thelinar zh’Koral, Second, Operations, and Records Officer of same.”

Lina bobbed her head in the Human fashion, nodding respectfully and trying not to let her acute embarrassment show any further.

“Captain Carin Oshima, new Commanding Officer of the Akyazi,” the newcomer stated firmly, with perhaps unconscious emphasis on ‘commanding’. “Tell me, Commander Terev, do other crew members aboard also… indulge your need for Civil Conversation?” she asked, trying and failing to keep all he wariness from her tone.

The Tellarite sighed melodramatically. “Unfortunately not, Captain. There are no others of my kind of sufficient status assigned to the Akyazi and only my Andorian friend here truly enjoys the exchange and is sufficiently skilful at it to make me feel any better about it.” Another sigh. “I have tried to engage others in the crew but they just don’t quite understand it the way Thelinar does.” He turned to acknowledge the Ops Officer and gave her a grateful bow.

Lina smiled back at her friend and superior officer, and dipped her own head in response. She could also see that the captain was mostly mollified now, but she still looked a little put out.

No doubt now embarrassed by her lack of cross-cultural knowledge and awareness, Lina thought with a combination of smugness and worry.

Carin was indeed having such thoughts. Now that she saw these two – who had been going at it as if they’d go for each other’s throats in another couple of seconds – were actually good friends and there wasn’t even a hint of lingering animosity as if from friends who had fallen out, she had no choice but to accept it for what it was claimed to be – a Tellarite Civil Conversation.

During her years so far in Starfleet, she hadn’t heard any of the Tellarites she’d served with have Civil Conversations. Starfleet interpersonal protocols were very strict in their equalitarian ‘respect for all beings’ stance. You treated a person who was a Technician Third Class with the same respect you’d give a person who happened to be a Fleet Admiral or you were immediately deep in hot water. Rank too was an inhibiting factor, as respect for the chain of command and your position in it was vital. Starfleet was not obsessed with military-style minutia such as bouncing coins off bunks – at least, not once out of the Academy – but discipline did have to be maintained, and yelling and screaming insults at one anther was not conducive to most races’ ideas of respect or normal conversance. Even between Tellarites on the same posting, there was usually sufficient caste, social status, and rank differences to prevent a genuine exchange even on off-duty moments, and other beings walking in on a Tellarite Civil Conversation usually felt offended or put out in some other way. This in turn hugely irritated the Tellarites, who were sick of aliens who couldn’t tell the difference between their “time honoured constructive insults” and genuinely improper verbal attacks on a person.

Carin got the impression that before long she would be able to tell the difference, but was equally sure that she wouldn’t enjoy the process. However, as a deeply embedded cultural trait of the Tellarite people it was off limits to shut down except in cases of conflict with Starfleet protocols for decorum and interpersonal relations.

She also wasn’t best pleased that this event had spoiled her coming aboard her first command, to find these two exact people, no less. But since Thelinar was obviously just embarrassed and Terev was just as obviously not taking any offence at her cultural insensitivity, she decided to consign the event to the Vault of Experience and make a fresh start.

Relaxing her stance and voice as much as possible, she began again. “Very well. So, was your… conversation about anything in particular, or just a releasing of tension?”

Terev handled that one too. “Sir, we were just trying to finalise a duty roster and shift assignments. We have a totally new crew, although some of us have obviously served together before,” he added with a chortle. “We have an abundance of staff who work at peak efficiency at a certain time of day, which results in some of these people being assigned shifts they’d prefer not to have.”

As a former first officer herself Carin was aware of this problem, but never having served on a newly commissioned vessel she’d never had to deal with it directly or to the extent of the entire crew. She was interested to know how Terev was handling it. She raised her eyebrows in further inquiry.

He shrugged. “We were just trying to come up with a rotation that satisfied the most number of people while still ensuring appropriate staffing levels.”

Thelinar finally spoke something that demonstrated some of her usual personality. “Minor problems only, Captain. After all, they’ll go where we tell them. But by making a genuine effort on their behalf we show that we’re taking their concerns seriously, and a crew that believes their command staff cares for them is a happier crew, Sir.”

Carin decided there that she liked her second officer. That statement struck the perfect balance of approachability and practicality for Carin, and she looked forward to seeing if her initial assessment of the willowy Andorian zhen would be as true as she hoped that her initial assessment of the stout Tellarite was just her own sour grapes.

Thinking of which, I really do want to know how a Tellarite of all people made it to command rank as a scientist on ships presumably full of aliens who didn’t appreciate Civil Conversation gambits either, she wondered, her curiosity lit. It couldn’t have been easy for him, even though Starfleet is a meritocracy. Not many share the social conventions of the Tellarites.

Aloud, she acknowledged her Ops Officer’s words. “Glad to hear you’re on top of things, Commanders. Now, I would like to call a senior officers’ briefing, just to get to know everyone and let everyone meet me too. However, I don’t want to disrupt any priority tasks to do so. The data Starfleet supplied me with showed nothing of major import remained to be done, but I know that such material are not always… complete,” she told them briskly. “Commander Terev, please schedule such a meeting and have all the department heads attend. Let me know when is suitable for later today, after the commissioning ceremony. In the mean time, I’ll have my belongings brought aboard and take a tour of the ship.”

“Aye Captain,” Terev acknowledged his orders. “There won’t be a problem with that but several of the department heads are on the starbase on various errands and tasks. I’ll have them report their ETAs.”

“Very good, Commander. Oh, if you feel the need for a private briefing before this meeting, let me know. Otherwise, I’ll see you there.”

“That’s probably a good idea, Captain. It will give me a chance to bring you completely onboard with our current status. If you can give me thirty minutes after the commissioning ceremony, we can meet in your ready room?”

“Agreed,” she nodded. “Well, if you’ll excuse me. Carry on.”

“Of course, Sir.”

“Aye, Captain.”

After the briefing room doors slid closed on their new CO, Thelinar sagged back into her chair. “Of all the times to come and see us! She seemed to handle it well, though…”

“Well yes, she did barge in on us,” Terev snorted, letting go of his ‘polite’ demeanour now his captain had left. “And yes, she recovered well but I get the feeling she’s unsure of me.”

“She has the right to barge in anywhere, you know, what with this being her ship now,” Lina replied dryly. “Besides, if you knew her visit was sooo imminent, why did you go off on a tear like that? Don’t tell me she made you that nervous?”

Terev scratched his furry head distractedly. “No. Well… sort of. This is my first tour as a first officer and I wanted everything to be perfect for my new captain. To prove it could be done and that I could do it. Thanks for your comment, by the way. It really helped the situation,” he added sincerely.

She looked at him understandingly. “Glad to help out, even if it was for someone who was promoted over me,” she teased him. “It also helped that it was the truth.”

He nodded again. “Okay, I have some tasks to attend to. I’ll see you again at the commissioning ceremony.”

“Yeah. She seems like a decent sort. It may even be fun.”
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:19:09 pm by Scottish Andy »

Potemkyn

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »
“Gimmie those!” she yelled and lunged for the box.

That was funny. 

Having survived the Air Force for many years, the promotion reminded me of what some folks encountered, except the part where she lunged at the pips.   ;)

The scene with the commanders was tense and odd.  While I do expect officers that are close to act a bit more relaxed, this seemed to be way out there, until we find that this helps the Telerite.  I still think it's odd behaviour, but if that's their make up, so be it.

The only question I have is would a new captain come aboard completely unannounced?

Mike

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
While it might be odd for a CO to make it aboard completely unnannounced, I don't think it'd be totally impossable. My first act would be to board my ship in civilian attire and act as a visitor until someone tried to stop me. I'd judge the ship on how far I got. The computer in the turbolift might know who I am, but...

I liked this Chapter. Very good flow and reminded me of the better side of Season 1 TNG. TNG got better in Season 2, and was totally settled in by 3, but Season 1 had one thing that faded in the second. It had a crisp newness to it that was pretty cool. And even though were all familiar with how things operate and where it's pretty well going to go, you've established a spitting image of that crispness, while adding a personal chemistry to the characters that TNG DIDN'T have, and only in odd shining moments emulated. Riker could pull it off, but usually only with Data or a female character...odd, now that I type that out...how that was the case. Picard just didn't seem capable of having or maintaining a friend. He was the perpetual commanding officer. I liked him...but did not want to be him.

Any who, I ramble on to say I like what's written, but hope that this story sees space soon. Lest it copy your other story.

--rog
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:17:03 pm »
Glad y'all liked the promotion scene! I was very pleased with that and I enjoyed writing it. Warm fuzzies and all.   :)

The scene with the commanders was tense and odd.  While I do expect officers that are close to act a bit more relaxed, this seemed to be way out there, until we find that this helps the Telerite.  I still think it's odd behaviour, but if that's their make up, so be it.

Yup, I tried to explain it in the scene because the new captain also had no idea what was going on, but I guess I wasn't as clear as I'd hoped. Ah well. This is way out there, and it was a Tellarite "Civil Conversation", a concept introduced by Judith and Garflield Reeves-Stevens in their book 'Prime Directive' as a way of explaining why the Tellarites we say were pointlessly argumentative. I'm using that convention. Give that section a re-read and see if you can "get" the explanation I give. I'm not sure how to put it in another way. Rest assured, this is going to be a major part of the story. How Tellarites get on in a "polite" Fleet.  :D

As for the captain coming on board unannounced, the Guv gave a good reason. Mine is this: Since she's coming straight in from another ship we have no confirmed time anyway. Plus, surprise inspections are a commander's perogative. Honestly, I never thought about it because of later events.

I liked this Chapter. Very good flow and reminded me of the better side of Season 1 TNG. TNG got better in Season 2, and was totally settled in by 3, but Season 1 had one thing that faded in the second. It had a crisp newness to it that was pretty cool. And even though were all familiar with how things operate and where it's pretty well going to go, you've established a spitting image of that crispness, while adding a personal chemistry to the characters that TNG DIDN'T have, and only in odd shining moments emulated. Riker could pull it off, but usually only with Data or a female character...odd, now that I type that out...how that was the case. Picard just didn't seem capable of having or maintaining a friend. He was the perpetual commanding officer. I liked him...but did not want to be him.

Thanks, Guv! :woot:
I am going for that "new ship smell" here. These people don't know each other from Adam (or Eve), with a few exceptions. I'm going to be showing how people get to know each other, how their interpersonal dynamics work, how someone decides whether they'll like someone or not.
To rest the Guv's blood pressure, FYI: not all in this story.  ;)
I'm doing character pieces, as all the action in the world makes no difference to me if I don't care who's involved in the action. EG: Vin Diesel. All the ads blared: "Vin Diesel is... Triple-X!" I thought: "Vin Diesel is... Totally Irrelevant!" Still haven't seen a single VD movie ;D  (That actually starred him, anyway)

Thanks for your comments, Lads. More is coming. Others are also free to comment.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »
I am loving this story thus far [even with so little posted]. My craving for it to 'go somewhere', however, is simply a craving to see your ship out of drydock...

Myself, I want all the Civil Conversion you can muster. It entertains the hell out of me. And character development is good, so long as it's not over done an too anxty.

Anyway, patiently awaiting more.

--rog

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:53:56 pm »
Looks good so far.  As Roger has stated, you grabbed the one good thing about TNG Season One and preserved it well.  So props toward the 'new starship smell'.

The crispiness is the best element so far.  I also, to this point, find this bunch a refreshing change from the crew of the Kusangi, though, as me and Roger have both said, you haven't had the ship pull out of spacedock yet.

Minor points are scene spacing as we already discussed, and this one glaring paragraph that just jumped out at me, quoted here with the preceding bit...

She threw her hands up in a ‘why do I even bother’ gesture, to which he responded with a Caitian grin full of teeth. She smirked back at him and headed for the nearest turboshaft.

The door chime brought Captain Arkady Asamov’s head up from his perusal of the information on his desk terminal screen. “Come,” he called to the door, which dutifully opened for him to admit a tall, striking Japanese woman with elegantly coiffed jet black hair piled up at the back of her head. Arkady’s thoughtful look was immediately replaced by a pleased expression and he greeted his executive officer. “Ah, Carin. Thanks for coming. Take a seat, please.”

Somehow, I don't like the way this works.  POV shifts from Carin, to her captain (for the sole purpose of describing Carin), and back again very rapidly and unnecessarily.  It could just be me, but I found it jarring, and would recommend you working in what she looks like some other way.

The only other point is pace.  So far, we're doing okay, moving along, captain's on her new ship and all that...but I know how you tend to bog down, and thus am preemptively warning against it.  Remember:  forward motion does not mean action.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:20 am »
I've taken your suggestions onboard, and instead of jettisoning them right back out the airlock like any self-respecting writer would (:D), I've adjusted it to suit. Lemmie know if that reads better/more flowingly.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:42 pm »
Chapter Three

Carin stared into the mirror, scrutinising her dress uniform to ensure it was wrinkle, crease, and lint-free. Her tall, lithe figure was shown off decently in what really amounted to a dress, and her over-the-shoulder-length black hair had been rearranged from its usual elegantly arranged coils into a lustrous, wavy waterfall that fell freely around her face.

She was well aware that she was a beautiful woman by the standards of her own society and she was not adverse to showing that off in appropriate situations, such as this formal ceremony safely docked inside a starbase. The high-heeled shoes she was wearing accentuated her shapely, toned legs and boosted her usual 5’8” height to over five-ten.

Thus satisfied that her appearance was as perfect as she could attain with only forty minutes’ preparation, she left her quarters on the Akyazi and made her way to the crew lounge on Deck Seven, Forward. On this brand new ship it had yet to be named or even properly decorated, as that honour was hers as the ‘plank-owner’ captain. This tradition hearkened back to when these “off-duty, anyone can attend, come as you are” social spaces were first introduced on the old Excelsior-class ships. As was this tradition, the space would take on something of the personality of the new captain and reflect some of their background and upbringing, as well as the defining the tone of the crew’s daily routine as thought appropriate by said captain.

As she walked into the shallow but wide medium-sized room on the bottom deck of the saucer, she took in its dimensions and layout, as well as its acoustic properties with over a hundred people crammed into it. She decided in between other random, excited thoughts that something along the lines of her grandfather’s pub back on Neo Caledonia might fit in well.

She spotted Vice Admiral Da-Rhotereii near the podium that had been set up at the front of the room, before the windows that showed the interior of Starbase 214’s zero-g dry-dock. As she made her way through the press of people towards the Efrosian flag officer, she was delighted to see some of her close friends from the Endeavour in attendance. She gave them all a quick wave or nod as she encountered them.

“Ah, here she is, looking far prettier now than she ever did for me,” Captain Asamov mentioned to the admiral as an off-handed greeting to his former XO. The Efrosian squinted at her and waited for her to get close enough for his species’ notoriously incompatible-with-Human-normal visible light spectrum to give him a decent impression of her. Joining their personal space, she took in the Efrosian’s impressively white-maned appearance and decided it complemented her former captain’s more closely-cut silver mane quite well.

Having heard Asamov’s teasing comment to the admiral as intended, she ignored the older captain and retorted cuttingly, “I can assure you, Admiral, that my former commanding officer is exaggerating as usual. I always look this pretty for people whose opinions actually matter.”

The orange-skinned alien smiled and Arkady clutched a hand to his heart, signifying a mortal blow. “Oh dear, I do believe the promotion has gone to her head,” he fired back, smiling widely. “Just days ago she was all ‘Oh I’m not worthy, you’ll always be my favourite captain, blah blah blah…”

Carin shot him a look, at which he broke into chuckles. Carin and Da-Rhotereii joined in and the younger officer once again basked in the easy camaraderie she shared with her former captain.

“It’s good to see your confidence progressing, Captain Oshima,” the starbase and sector commander stated in his slightly gravely voice after they had subsided. “Captain Asamov speaks highly of you and tells me he’s expecting great things from you.”

Oh great! Way to set me up for a fall, Captain! she groused good-naturedly, again shooting him a look – which again he chuckled at, knowing exactly what was behind it.

“My former first officer’s feelings of performance anxiety aside,” he smiled at her with his irrepressible trademark smirk, “she’ll do fine as a captain. She has the skills – she had a great teacher after all – and she has the knowledge. She’ll be a great addition to resources, Sir.”

“Indeed, which is why we already have your first mission already waiting for you,” the admiral said evenly.

My first mission? I haven’t even officially taken command yet! she fretted, but was then immediately eager to get going. You’re really pushing hard, aren’t you Arkady? Wanting me to do well. Can’t say as I fault the intention, but maybe I would like some settling in time first?

It seemed as though Da-Rhotereii had heard her thoughts, or possibly read them off her face. “Do not worry, Captain. You will be given time to carry out a proper shakedown as this mission’s operational window only opens around stardate 45350. But your vessel has been marked for it, excepting any problems encountered during your shakedown.”

Carin nodded her understanding. 350 is… about three months from now. It’ll probably be our last test mission before gaining true ‘active’ Fleet status. “Can you tell me any more details about the mission, Admiral?” she requested.

The Efrosian shook his head in the Human manner. “Not yet, Captain. These details are being withheld until closer to the mission date. This is just an early notification so that you may keep your calendar clear.”

Carin nodded her understanding but justifiably felt a little teased. I have to wait three months now to find out. I just hope this is not going to feel like an itch I cannot scratch.

“Uh oh, here comes trouble,” Asamov observed, looking over Carin’s shoulder. She turned to see N’Trarr purposefully striding – “loping” might have been a little too much of an exaggeration – towards them, and Carin simultaneously smiled and sighed.

“Well, if he’s going to cause a disruption I think we should get the ceremony started before that happens,” Da-Rhotereii observed in turn, and immediately stepped up to the podium before either Human could correct his assumption.

“Your attention please,” the admiral stated, his commanding, gravelly voice easily carrying over the hubbub of the room, which quickly quietened.

“We are here to commission a new ship into the fleet, with a new captain and a new crew. It will be up to each and every one of you to ensure that these three components are combined into a single entity that is proud to call itself and be known as… a Federation Starship.”

Carin suddenly had to swallow a lump in her throat and blinked away suddenly moist eyes at the way the admiral had said those words. It was possible she was getting sentimental in her old age. It was equally possible she believed with all her being in the words just spoken, in the regard that the admiral bestowed upon the instruments of Federation policy and ideals. Or maybe it was just the excitement of the moment, getting her captaincy and her first ship within weeks of one another completely out of the blue. Whatever the case, Da-Rhotereii’s words resonated within her. That was beautiful, and emotive… yet so simple! Maybe that’s the definition of ‘profound’, she wondered.

“I know that very few of you won’t have heard speeches like this before, so I will shatter your expectations of admirals everywhere by keeping this short and not just talking to hear the sound of my own voice,” he continued dryly, to surprised chuckling from many. “I know you will do your ship, your Service, your nation, your species, your captain, your crewmates, and yourselves proud.”

Drawing himself up more formally, he stated loudly, “Attention to orders!”

The room stilled again and all present assumed a stance of attention.

“To: Captain Carin Oshima. From: Commander, Starfleet.

“Ma’am, you are requested and required to proceed with all due haste to Starbase 214 in the Grazer Sector before stardate 45122.3. There you are directed to report aboard the USS Akyazi, where you will assume command of said vessel and cause her to be made ready to put to space immediately upon her commissioning.”

Da-Rhotereii looked up from his PADD and removed his round, dark blue-lensed spectacles. Giving the room’s occupants a final sweep, he called out, “Captain Oshima.”

She stepped up beside him and stated, “Sir.”

Facing her now, the admiral asked her, “Do you accept command of, and responsibility for, this ship, her crew, and their actions?”

“Yes Sir, I do,” she responded crisply and with pride, though a voice at the back of her head commented, I now pronounce you Captain and Ship. You may kiss the bride. She fought to suppress an inappropriate smirk.

“Computer, transfer command codes to Captain Carin Oshima. Authorisation: Da-Rhotereii-Beta-Zero-Omicron-Eight-One-Espilon-Five.”

“Authorisation accepted. Command codes have been transferred. Captain Carin Oshima is now the commanding officer of the USS Akyazi,” the female voice of the ship’s computer intoned.

“Congratulations, Captain,” Admiral Da-Rhotereii told her, and offered her the ship’s dedication plaque, prepared beforehand with this stardate already cast onto it.

“Thank you, Admiral!” she replied enthusiastically as she took it and shook his now empty hand. Beside her, Captain Asamov started applauding her, and the rest of the room joined in. She turned to face the room at large and nodded and smiled. She suppressed hard the urge to hold the dedication plaque above her head and posing like she’d won a decathlon or something.

Once the applause died down, she spoke the traditional words of a starship plank-owner captain, only slightly modified from those of Earth’s wet navy days: “Crew of the Akyazi, man this ship and make her ready for space!”

“AYE-AYE, SIR!” the assembled crew shouted the traditional acknowledgement, and those slated for the first watch departed the room to assume their stations. The other two thirds of the crew – Beta and Gamma shifts – were free to remain and enjoy the reception, and there were a few envious looks directed from and to both groups.

Carin noted some of them and smiled. That’s the luck of the draw. Sometimes even when you want it and they don’t, you still don’t get it.

“Now if you’ll excuse me for a few minutes,” Carin called out to the room again, “I have a picture to hang on my bridge. I’ll be back soon for the cutting of the cake, so carry on!”

Her Endeavour crewmates grinned, as did some of her new crew, and Arkady’s lot variously patted her back, clasped her shoulder, and/or wrung her hand as she made her way to the turboshaft at the back of the room.

She made it through the press of the remaining majority of her crew and into the relative peace of the turbolift. “Bridge,” she ordered, while thinking Phew! As it whisked her there, she gazed down at the dedication plaque and gave into the sudden urge to spaz giddily with a tattoo of boot heels against the floor. Some might have called it a victory dance, but to the amused regard at the back of her mind, it was most definitely a spaz.

The lift reached its destination a few seconds later, barely giving her time to calm down again before she stepped off it and onto a quiet but imbued-with-purpose bridge. She’d been here before, earlier today when she’d taken her tour of the ship, but she took the time to survey it now that it was fully staffed with the Alpha shift

She admired the compact, efficient nature of her ship’s command centre. She’d always felt that the Endeavour’s bridge, almost identical to that of the Galaxy-class, was too roomy and arranged inefficiently. At the very least, it was arranged with a Klingon’s attention to ergonomics, she thought now as she compared her own to it.

On Akyazi’s bridge, she looked forward from the turbolift alcove in the aft bulkhead over her command chair, past the Ops and Conn stations to the main viewer, which showed the interior of Starbase 214’s cavernous drydock. Flanking the viewscreen at the forward end of the bridge were two sets of angled doors. The port door led into her ready room, the starboard to a ramp down to the offices and observation lounge/conference room on Deck Two.

On the left side of her command chair were the three science consoles. Science I and II were seated and facing aft, and III was a much smaller standing station facing forward over the Ops position. This arrangement was mirrored on the starboard side, though the aft facing seated stations were Communications and Engineering. The forward-facing standing position was Tactical.

The floor space was about half that of the Endeavour’s bridge, and she was pleased that all she had to do to see any station and its crewmember was swivel her chair in their direction. She’d hated having to crane her neck and twist her head off to look at Tactical/Comms, or getting up to walk all the way to the front of the bridge and back around up those damn inefficient ramps to get to the science/engineering stations at the back of the bridge.

In other words, she heartily approved of her bridge.

Pulling herself from her daydreaming, she found the spot on the aft wall of the turbolift alcove for the dedication plaque, and mounted it there with the magnetic fasteners. It seated itself with a soft but solid snick and she stood back to admire it and make sure it was on straight.

Yup, she opined, still smiling slightly. Now nothing will get that back off short of a complete power failure. Or the correct tool.

She turned again, walked the five steps to her command chair and carefully sat down in it, then scanned her officers. Terev was here pecking at Science III’s controls, along with one of his junior science officers at the Science I’s far more comprehensive wall station. A Trill by the look of the man’s spots, but his name escaped her for the moment. Thelinar sat at the Ops console, focused on its readings, and a Caitain female sat at the Conn. The black leonine mane that was cut shorter than Carin’s own hair obscured the charcoal-grey of her fur, but that was visible on her hands as she worked her own controls. Carin remembered her as Lieutenant K’Shabanarett, or K’Rett for short.

Of special interest to her was the Bolian lieutenant at the Tactical console. He was Hranok, formerly of the Saratoga, and a fellow survivor of the Borg attack at Wolf 359.

I’ll have to arrange a personal interview with him, Carin decided, noting the etched-in frown lines on the Bolian’s face as he pecked at his controls. He may not want to trade horror stories, but I definitely want to get to know him better. We may be able to work together to come up with new anti-Borg tactics and weaponry.

The Communications station was manned by a dark-skinned Vulcan lieutenant, and Engineering by a pale-skinned Human who could have come from Earth itself or be of any of the multitude of externally identical alien species. He ranked as a chief petty officer.

Having completed her visual survey of those who were likely to be her most common companions, she swung back around to address her first officer. “Mr. Terev, status report please.”

“Aye Captain,” he responded and launched straight into one. Clearly, he’d been waiting on that order. “The first watch has been set and all stations report manned and ready for departure. We are at Condition Green and all systems show fully operational. Starbase reports no imminent arrivals or departures except ours, so we are clear to leave at our discretion.”

“Thank you, Commander,” she acknowledged him courteously, and called on Thelinar next. “Ops, internal systems status?”

“All boards show green lights, no malfunctions. Shuttlebay is secure, computer datalinks are running well within capacity and tolerances. All systems are sure for warp speed.”

“Thank you. Tactical?”

“Weapons offline, shields down. Threat boards are clear and latest tactical and strategic updates have been received from Starfleet, Sir.”

Carin again noted the frown and his generally abrupt manner. Since she was asking for individual updates merely to get a base reading on how her new crew did their jobs, this is what she was trying to find: potential problems she could start working to fix right from the start of their time together.

“Very good,” was all she said in response and moved on to her other bridge crew. “Engineering?”

The human CPO swivelled his seat to face her and reported, “Power systems at start-up levels, power flow is nominal with no negative indicators,” the man said in an odd-sounding accent Carin wasn’t familiar with. I’ll peruse the personnel records after everything here is taken care of, she promised herself as the man completed his report, which amounted to the same as all the others: We’re ready to go, what else did you expect?

With Communications and Conn reporting similar sentiments, Carin created her first log entry as the captain of a starship.

“Captain’s Log, stardate 45122.3,” she began, savouring the words. “The commissioning ceremony went without a hitch as expected and the reception, continues though it is currently awaiting my return for the cutting of the commissioning cake.” At this, she noticed several ears prick up and shoulders twitch. Smiling slightly, she continued, “Starbase 214’s Dockmaster has cleared us for departure as soon as we are ready to leave, and I see no reason to delay any longer than the end of the reception since my officers report all is well with the ship and her crew.”

She debated for a second or two about putting her next statement into the official log or a personal one, but finally decided to go ahead with it. Starfleet undoubtedly realised their officers were people not robots, and personal opinions and feelings were accepted as part of the official record.

Plus, she did want to record a personal log and didn’t want to do it in public.

Suppressing a smirk but not disguising the smile in her voice, she ended her log entry. “As a reward for their diligence in getting the ship ready, I will make sure to save them each a piece of cake. End log.”

She caught smiles on the faces of her nearest crew and was glad she’d added that in. Standing, she instructed, “Communications Officer, please compile all reports and data that Starfleet has received for the last five standard years regarding events in this region of space and the races with influence here and cue it to my terminal.”

“Aye, Captain,” the Vulcan responded briefly.

She nodded and returned to the turbolift, which whisked her back to the send-off party she’d put on hold with her ‘urgent task on the bridge’.

Two hours later, Carin was in her ready room going through the updates her Commo had collected for her. The reception had gone well and ended about half-an-hour later with Carin escorting the Admiral and her former crewmates to the airlock back to the starbase. Fond farewells, congratulations and thanks were exchanged, and then her friends were gone and she was her own master at last. Leaving dock had been routine and uneventful, and the Akyazi was on her way to a nearby star system for some muscle stretching exercises at a leisurely warp four.

Carin had already gone through the personnel files of all her officers, but had decided to familiarise herself with her enlisted crew later on in the day after names had started running together and away from the faces that owned them. She had discovered the names of her other three bridge crew.

The Trill junior science officer was one Lieutenant Ardez Jenai, the ship’s botanist and head of the Planetary Sciences Department. He was 27 and had previously served on the Sprinfield-class surveyor Chandra.

Her Vulcan comms officer was one Lieutenant Savok, from the equatorial city of Tameh’Khar on Vulcan. This was his first posting from the Academy, but the sixty-year old man previously had a career as a theoretical researcher for one of Vulcan’s major interstellar communications companies.

The engineering CPO was really Human, and he was Grigoriy “Greg” Tedesco from the Human colony of Deneva. Still one of the garden spots of the galaxy, as a major botanical and agricultural centre many of the first colonists were from Earth’s “breadbasket” areas like Central Canada, the American Mid-West, and the Russian Steppes. Tedesco’s family was originally from Kansas State, but his accent had merged to combine its prairie twang with incongruous guttural Russian to give a definitely off-world sounding accent.

That was more information than she’d originally gone looking for, but being a child of mixed ethnicities herself this kind of thing caught her interest. While growing up, her mother’s family on Neo Caledonia had often remarked humorously on her mainly Japanese accent being overwhelmed by the strength of her Scottish burr on some words. Any word with an ‘r’ in it, for example came through with a fairly distinctive trill that was alien to the Japanese-speakers of her maternal grandparents. Years of schooling and Starfleet Academy had homogenised her accent, but she could speak Japanese, Federation Standard English, and Vulcan fluently. She could also make herself understood in the Andorian and Tellarite languages but had an apparently amusing accent in both, but her Caitian was atrocious.

Having sated her immediate interest on her crew, she took up the data on her area of operations to re-familiarise herself with what to expect. The Endeavour had served in the Federation-Klingon-Romulan border region as well as the major Federation-Cardassian border zone while she had served aboard, so she was already familiar with the main antagonists of the region. However, she was being assigned somewhat further “south”, or to rimward, of the UFP’s core sectors for her first command. As such, this also involved the Talarians as major players in the area. Not to mention the possible-but-unlikely influence of the even more rabidly territorial and xenophobic Tholians.

All of these races had on-again, off-again diplomatic relations with the Federation that had on several, though infrequent, occasions exploded into tense stand-offs or actual shots fired over claimed territorial or cultural violations perpetrated on them by the Federation.

Thus, care definitely had to be taken in this region as, while open conflict and actual war was not probable, she could still find herself getting shot at by any of these nations for what seemed like no apparent or sufficient cause. Especially with so many unclaimed systems between the officially recognised spheres of influence of these four powers to bicker over.

Another thought occurred to her as she was tallying up all the people who might end up shooting at her: the Klingons. With the recent strengthening of the Federation-Klingon Alliance – in which the Endeavour had played no small part – Klingon ships were freely allowed to transit Federation space on their own missions. The Klingons had a well-known antipathy for both the Cardassians and the Tholians, and could end up causing problems for her if any were in the area. She made a mental note to request the disposition of any Klingon units in the region if Savok had not already included such in his data.

With such priorities decided in her head, she settled down with her second mug of Vulcan mocha (sweet) into her comfortable desk chair and let the information she read to be soaked up by the hungry sponge that was her slightly Vulcan-enhanced brain.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:19:44 pm by Scottish Andy »

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:19 pm »
Chapter Three
[/size]

This tradition hearkened back to when these “off-duty, anyone can attend, come as you are” social spaces were first introduced on the old Excelsior-class ships.

*bows and heads off to Whiskers'*

--thu guv

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:10 am »
Yup, a nod to you, Mate. :D

I know nothing per say happened here, but any comments?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 02:42:16 am »
Moving along well so far.  Keep it coming.

'Vulcan-enhanced'?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:31 am »
She's only a quarter Vulcan, so she's a "Vulcan-enhanced Human". :)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:33:22 am »
She's only a quarter Vulcan, so she's a "Vulcan-enhanced Human". :)

What I meant was that 'enhanced' is really the wrong word there.  The Vulcans have plenty of their own drawbacks.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:57:07 am »
"Boosted" then, perhaps? She was raised with the Vulcan mind disciplines too, as she had a half-Vulcan father who was raised as a Vulcan. All this is character background, so I should have explained that in the text more. I will later..

What drawbacks do Vulcans have in the physicality of their brain and their mental techniques that you think enhanced is the wrong word? You'll have to convince me. :)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 12:07:53 pm »
"Boosted" then, perhaps?

Nah.  The thing is you're doing the whole 'superior elf' thing a bit there.  As you know it's a pet peeve of mine.  While it is true that Vulcans have all sorts of neat little mind tricks, we've also seen that humans, with the proper discipline, training, and possibly genetics, are capable of similar feats.

She was raised with the Vulcan mind disciplines too

This is more of a plus than simply having Vulcan ancestry.  Though this is also where the drawbacks come in.  Being raised Vulcan style, while it implies great mental discipline and powers of concentration, would also give her some Vulcan-style outlooks on life....and the Vulcans seem prone toward ossification, passivity, and an utter lack of tact. ;D

What drawbacks do Vulcans have in the physicality of their brain?

What advantages does their plain ol' 'no conditioning' brain have over a humans?  None that we've seen.

And for a nice example of this, compare a Vulcan to a Romulan, who is genetically the same but didn't grow up in an environment of Zen-like teachings and high gravity.