Topic: The M.A.C. gun  (Read 18651 times)

Offline Akira_Commander567

• Zachary "the Marksman" Rich
  • Lt. Junior Grade
The M.A.C. gun
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:59:48 pm »
I've finally achieved one of my goals in my life. I've built a weapon that uses magnetic coils to accelerate objects to past supersonic speed. One of the defects on this weapon system is that the coils depolarize incrediably quickly, when I fire a supersonic shot, the magnets depolarize after the first shot.
The truth is like a thriple-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: The M.A.C. gun
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:29:47 pm »
huh?

If you have done something like this, I know a couple people over at DAARPA who would like to have a word or two with ya =)

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:47:09 pm »
Why? I haven't done anything wrong........................yet. Beshides, I found the desgins on the web and I made some of my own modifications.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:57:22 pm »
Update, if you want to see where I got my desgin from, look at wikiapedia and type in coil gun.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:36:40 pm »
oookkkkkkk.....

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:35:13 pm »
oookkkkkkk.....

Don't worry Pun.  He used Punisher Industries components, so you have total control over what he created.  :-D

*hopes the last several shipments he sold Pun were good components*

;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 03:49:16 pm »
All you have to do is reverse the current between shots and this will repolarise the magnets.

At least rail guns are firearms and artillery licence exempt.... for the time being.... ;D

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:32:42 pm »
 :D

Why would you need to repolarize an electro magnet ? Doesn't the direction of current flow thru the conductor determine the alignment of the field ? Wouldn't it be easier to simple put the projectile in backward every other shot, or simply use a new projectile ? Bullets arent re-usable you know.

Maybe I just missed something here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_gun
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:36:39 pm »
It is because the electro magnet deguases itself slightly on every shot.... they all do.... it's just a law of physics that cannot be avoided....

To quote Scotty, " You cannot change the laws of physics...."

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
Hhhhmmm, I thought that it was impossible to build a rail gun with our current technology, guess I was wrong. I will build one on my own soon enough, but I fear the feds will make them illegal due to the fact that you can produce them in massive quantities without regulation of the parts, just like many othjer items that they have made illegal, moonshine, many drugs, etc. They can't get their tax money from it, that's why cigarettes are legal, they make tons of money, same with acholol. 
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 01:19:37 pm »
I'm starting to experiment with my own rail gun, the thing has been giving me all sorts of trouble. Especially when the object I use after I shoot it is no longer able to be used, even when I try fliping the object around. No luck so far with the multi-stage gun either.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »
You can even fire eggs from a rail gun.... it's one of the mysteries of physics that non-ferous objects will react to a strong rapidly changing field, but not a permanent magnetic field.

The thing is to have the spacing of the coils just right plus the frequency of the pulses fed along them spot on.

One problem is the inertia effects on the projectile due to its mass.

On more recent rail gun designs, as the projectile is usually of a standard size (ball bearing), to space the "breech" end coils closer together, to overcome the inertia problem.

Illl leave out how to make the projectile spin as if fired from a rifled barrel, as you've enough problems making it shoot properly.

Try spacing the coils in linear progression from the "breech" end to the muzzle end.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »
I fixed that nagging problem at last, I think there's a tad too much power in the thing, fired an iron nail, and the thing was almost like a M.A.C gun from Halo, like a lightning bolt, but the gun fried itself after that shot, everything melted. :banghead: :rant: I used a too powerful energy source, I used a portable generator as the power of my experiment.

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50:08 pm »
You should be careful. Being only 15, if the feds catch you playing with this in anything more than paper and pencil (and maybe even then since you are probably in high school), they would make a mess of your life including "creating an infernal machine", Destructive devices and posiibly firearms charges.  If you are the shooter you claim to be, stick with target shooting until you get out of school. The National Matches are coming up soon at Camp Perry in Ohio, why don't you try that for a couple of years.

Link: ht

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:24 am »
Hey, I live in Florida, I'd could never get to Ohio, no matter how much I wanted to. Beshides, the feds won't catch me so easily, first they gotta find me. Second, they gotta catch me. I know my woods like the back of my hand. Third, how would a device I built myself be destructive, I took the thing apart, well, what was left of it apart. Beshides, my dad is a licesend gun manufacturer with an automatic licesnse, he would have it registered in his name so I wouldn't have my bacon fried by the dagum feds. The feds are the biggest deniers and cover-ups the world has seen, period.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 09:21:33 am »
Third, how would a device I built myself be destructive,

People build destructive devices all the time.   Its not difficult to make a lot of destructive materials and equipment.  High School students have built operating cannons for example.  (One of my high schools had 2 such cannons on display).  You are experimenting with making a weapon that has many potential dangers to  yourself and to others.

Postman is trying to be helpful to you.  Things that you do now can get you into trouble with the law and in the future that can prevent you from ever holding a decent job.  Think well on the long term consequences of what you do. 

For your "gun" what are you using as a target?  If the machine is too successful what will happen if you go through the target?  How about if the gun does not fire straight and misses the target altogether?  Are you testing indoors?  Are you prepared for an electrical fire?  Are you ready for other things that can go wrong? 

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:13:46 pm »
I have a target range outside, beshides, if I miss, it'll be hitting miles upon miles of woods. No onewould be hurt, beshides, I'm not building another until I finish fixing bugs in other pieces of equipment I have. Until then, I'll be postponening any futher development into this weapon system.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »
Building a home brew lawnmower can be classed as creating "an infernal machine".... especially given that most of us would opt for a big block V8 from something.

Hey, at 14 I was making high powered crossbows out of RC glider launching catapult elastic with 6 uinch nails as projectiles..... maximum range was 300 yards.... ::)

Then there were the home brew explosives.... ::)

Didn't have X-Box or Playstation when I t'were lad.... had to make our own fun in them days.... etc.

Iron nails as rail gun projectiles eh?? I'd try using ball bearings, as that's the usual lab projectile for the job due to stability, hardness, etc.

Put it this way.... if you manage to shoot someone with a railgun, you'll be the first person to be tried for using one in this way.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 02:15:49 pm »
You have no idea how badly I've been tempted to give my younger brothers an untimley end.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 02:34:38 pm »
The dilemma must be which one is most annoying, so should be shot first.

If you want to be lauded as the greatest inventor of all time, win a Nobel Peace Prize, be worshiped, etc...... invent a remote control that works on children.

It MUST have buttons and functions like "whinge Mode Off", "Mute", "Behave", "Stay Clean", "Sleep Mode On", "Tidy Room Mode", etc.

Such a device is sorely needed, like, yesterday.... ::)

After that, a remote control for women..... similar buttons and functions such as "Whinge Mode Off", etc. but also "Start Row Mode Off", "PMS Mode Off", "Horny Mode On", "Fetch me a Beer", "Mute", "Yak on Phone Mode Off", etc.