Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273594 times)

Offline TheHalfMonte

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 08:32:55 am »
The only thing this community never runs out of are Connie variants, anything else is a rare beast at best.

Quoted for truth

True. But whereas we have relatively recent and accurate versions of some of the other classes, there's not been a good Excelsior II since Moonraker. Rick Knox's is decently textured, but has a lot of inaccurate details.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:51:02 am by TheHalfMonte »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:47 pm »
Don't worry folks, I haven't forgotten about this.
I just got myself a new laptop, and I've been rebuilding a comfortable working environment on it.
I'll be working on these again tonight.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 08:01:08 pm »
Don't worry folks, I haven't forgotten about this.
I just got myself a new laptop, and I've been rebuilding a comfortable working environment on it.
I'll be working on these again tonight.

So you mean these have not been abandonned yet, like so many of the other things you have shown us here the gothic ships come to mind as well as the star shaped ones.
Anyways no time frame I understand as does anyone who has ever gotten me to work on a project with them, pretty much covers my work mehtods as well.

But seeing as a few ofthose look done you going to show any more pictures of the other ones from the first post.
The one above for me is a done deal now for SFC 1,2 and 3 it is complete for just a texture rebuild, working on the TNG version now. Just have the Impulse dome to redo and the warp engine sides are being experimented with trying for a new perspective look on the 2D surface to look more 3D.

If I stop travelling long enough to be home I will do the work up textures for them, and start playing with GMax again want to make real break models and LODs for these two ships. Plus maybe make them work in BC if I can find some one to show me a few things for that conversion.

So come on show some more pics interested in the Lexington mostly at the orange area in the warp drives.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
Anybody working on updating the USS Churchill and removing the old textures from the LOD?
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:24 pm »
Anybody working on updating the USS Churchill and removing the old textures from the LOD?

Not me, so I would go with probably not as the safe bet on that one.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:24 pm »
As you wish
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 01:55:24 am »
Thank you!

BTW from the Pic it looks like your Aztecs on the secondary hull are to small compared to the Pylons and the Engines. They look like they should be 15-20% larger then they are

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 03:15:09 am »
This is what i am playing with to try to get a persective look, by starting in the center and moving either left or right you will see the 3D look to it and how it can be done but only for one direction unfortuantly. If you look from the side in it doesn't look right and the other side seems to have the more proper look. If you look straight at it you will see it look good on a semi - circle it looks right because they seem to bend away from you. This is the problem with 3D looks on flat textures, that I have been trying to work out. THis should also be a help to you you Raven Night as this is what I was referring to in your warhammer post. Now if you only take the center and go no more than one or two out it looks ok from most angles on a flat surface. By narrowing the lines you can achieve the pattern for a longer time before they start to look out of place. Wider spacing betwwen the lines makes it happen faster or a more sever distortion faster.

By the way all this is, is a simple repeating pattern incemented in size to get that look. The pattern is what I used to make the bump pattern in the hull and the engine grill layout for the ship above (in my post of a WIP).

Why am I talking about this?
Because large flat areas tend to get distortion as you add details to a ship, and that is appearing in the lexingtons Pylons. I also have troubles with those same areas on ships I have done in the past as well. And FoaS and I used the same thing to cover it the widening strip from the base to the outer part. He also did the same thing that I did which is darken the base and lighten the out part so your eye follows inward where the distortion doesn't occur as badly. the distortion is usually noticed on a edge the easiest so you move the details inward some to aviod that problem. So this is the current approach I am trying to use the distoration areas to either look more normal or to pull your eyes to the points I want you to dwell on.

So look closily at the pylons on the lexington and you will see it, don't know if you can use this to help you or not but it is something you might want to consider or try.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:29:01 am by GotAFarmYet? »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 01:44:55 pm »
Hey, BTW:
Have some Tellarite
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 06:03:57 pm »
As in you are releasing them or as in you have them some where between started and finished?

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:58 pm »
 ;D Status report?
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 11:04:53 pm »
Atolm and I have been working on the rest of the tellarite. They are coming along smoothly. Two fighters, a carrier, a shuttle, and a PF :-).
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:55 pm »
So as in the way of  a small bump

Do you have any plans on releasing things yet?
will it be a broadband release (all SFC and BC)?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 06:47:21 pm »
Im working on three things at once. The Tellarites, The Last of the Feds and some BSG ships.
What I usually do is release for SFC, but allow porting to BC so long as credit is given.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 09:44:26 pm »
Not to be Pushy or anything, okay I am lying I am being pushy, but what has been happening to this stuf anyways?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:05 pm »
Coming along coming along.

Hit a wall with the tellarites, but im getting back on it.

The feddies are on hold, too, but no real reason other than I got distracted.
All the ones so far just need Light Maps, Break Models, Scaled properly, and Hardpoints - not of which is hard, just tedious.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »
Coming along coming along.

Hit a wall with the tellarites, but im getting back on it.

The feddies are on hold, too, but no real reason other than I got distracted.
All the ones so far just need Light Maps, Break Models, Scaled properly, and Hardpoints - not of which is hard, just tedious.

Light maps are easy to do if you make the textures right with layers, those areas are in a layer for me so that all I have to do it copy the layer to a blank background and gray scale it, boom done. Break models there was a how to clip to do fast ones with out all the extra stuff added to it, which makes that easy. Unless you go the way TUS has and add the decking in the cut areas, then it takes along time to do. Hard points canm be copied from stock models and then just move the points to the areas you need them that never took to long to do in Milkshape GMax actually makes it harder to do in and I am sure max is closer to GMax. Scaling is a pain no matter what you use as comparing them afterwards is still the only way to be sure.

So will we see them by Christmas?
(Hopefully, the 5 Feds, 3 X-class 2 WZ redos I have in the wings will be ready by then, and the 7 Kligons that have been lurking on my HDD will get finished soon. They keep attacking the other Directories)

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 05:55:56 am »
awsome work man..  ;)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »
"7 Kligons that have been lurking on my HDD will get finished soon. They keep attacking the other Directories)"

7 Klingons... This I have to see GAFY? Any pics?

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 05:51:23 pm »
"7 Kligons that have been lurking on my HDD will get finished soon. They keep attacking the other Directories)"

7 Klingons... This I have to see GAFY? Any pics?

Qapla'

KF

Nope As I keep changing my mind on what I want to do with them, basically I am trying a approach with them I have not done before with a story behind the why they did it this way. As you have seen how things degenerate with stories and left field with me and Cent, the dukes of the empire for example, you can guess how well this has been going. Hoping to have them settled by Christmas for WIP shots, and the actual models about 6 months after that. Most of it is dependant on how much travelling I have to do.