Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276112 times)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2008, 01:49:36 am »
TBH, I'd expect something different nacelles for the fast cruiser. All it looks now is that there's been ribbing added to the top of the nacelles... which doesn't seem to be the radical refit offered by new hotrod engines of the FCA.

WickedZombie's WZ-50s might fit the bill nicely, or a variant of those designs. I'd almost suggest the nacelles from his Doohan class, though in keeping with TMP nacelles I'd see the glowy bits replaced with non-glowing grills and vents (Ala Excelsior ST-III).

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:18 am »
nope, its a bash i just did in 3 minutes. I wasn't aware that someone already put Churchill nacelles on a Connie.

The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:06 pm »
Another suggestion for the Fast Cruiser would be to do something about the nacelle struts. They're fine for a regular cruiser, but if you're patching hotrod engines on it, wouldn't the stresses from the higher engines be a concern?

I'm not knowledgeable on the CAF's design, though I assumed it was just a normal CA refitted with different engines.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:35 pm »
Another suggestion for the Fast Cruiser would be to do something about the nacelle struts. They're fine for a regular cruiser, but if you're patching hotrod engines on it, wouldn't the stresses from the higher engines be a concern?

I'm not knowledgeable on the CAF's design, though I assumed it was just a normal CA refitted with different engines.
To add to Norsehound's observations, I thought I'd add a suggestion about the warp nacelles. How about using these slightly altered versions to imply increased speed? Note the warp engines on the USS Raan, an enchanced  Belknap-Class strike cruiser from "Ships of the Starfleet." These warp nacelle variants apparently increased the ships speed, while sacrificing dilithium longevity, or some jibba-jabba like that. :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2008, 04:23:32 pm »
Much as I appreciate the suggestions, I think the CAF will stay as is. I like the subtle upgrade.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »

To add to Norsehound's observations, I thought I'd add a suggestion about the warp nacelles. How about using these slightly altered versions to imply increased speed? Note the warp engines on the USS Raan, an enchanced  Belknap-Class strike cruiser from "Ships of the Starfleet." These warp nacelle variants apparently increased the ships speed, while sacrificing dilithium longevity, or some jibba-jabba like that. :D

Those are the LN-68 warp engines if I'm not mistaken.  WZ has a set, or at least had a set.  I've used them before in a kitbash.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2008, 04:30:32 pm »
Much as I appreciate the suggestions, I think the CAF will stay as is. I like the subtle upgrade.
No worries! ;)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2008, 04:47:27 pm »
Okay, anyways: If anyone could direct me to some GOOD starbases and drydocks, I'll start up on those too. And as always, fighters are a plus/

Moonrakers ST III Starbase is an excellent candidate for retexturing in this new style as is Atrahasis' old Regula-1 both should be at Battleclinic or SFC3files IIRC.
While you are at Battleclinic have a look at the Illustrious CV that I retextured. I think what I did for it is not that far afield from what you are doing now with the Fed fleet.

Nice work on the Abbe by the way! I'm also curious why you didn't consider the Belknap Class for the Fast CA... Nice work with the Churchill engines on your Fast CA.

As for Non-Federation star bases, keep in mind the Klingon Academy Klingon (tri-armed) Battlestation http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/dist/index.php/file,95a936818bd851f2dc35824d0b684d28.rar (it has workerbees in it)

and the kitbashed outpost http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/dist/index.php/file,2f869ae128f037bf7245424f44f97446.zip

based on it at Battleclinic. Do a SEARCH for "KF" and you'll see a list of possiblities when you are ready to tackle non-Federation races.

Qapla'

KF
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:23:52 am by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2008, 01:39:04 am »
I'll be checking those out when I have a few minutes, KF. Thank you :-)

I might end up bashing up some new starbases based off of the one's you see in Star Trek Armada :-)

Anyways, I have a case of SFB-itis, The four ships you see here are losely based off of SFB ships. They are not named, yet. In my timeline, these ships were brought about in the earlier days of the era. Also note, these ships are lacking shuttlebays, but that will quickly be remedied.

First, the Frigate.
Again, I'm not really entirely happy with this one. I think im going to lose the angular addition to the saucer, but I haven't decided yet.
Also, please continue to ignore the Double Registries.

A light cruiser based off the NCL from SFB.

A Medium Cruiser based off the NCA from SFB
it lacks a shuttlebay, but I'll be adding one soon.

This one isn't in SFB, but still, I was running with it. It's a DD.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2008, 02:48:09 am »
*drools at Fury's work, and wonders if Fury would ever do a Hydran Fleet*

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2008, 03:00:35 am »
Can't say I'm a fan of the curvy nacelles on the NCL. Why not go with straight ones, or raise the impulse deck up (same level as the bridge?) and mount the pylons horizontally from that section, across part of the saucer?

That's the way the original NCL looks, anyway.

Heh, and this begs the question: How are you going to handle the CL? The Texas-class is supposedly a refit of an older, pre-warp class. Something refitted from TOS? It would be interesting to see a TOS ship stripped of it's thermal paint with bare hull showing through, and updated nacelles.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2008, 09:11:56 am »
Why not go with straight struts? because I didn't feel like it. SFB gave me most of what I've put into my own star trek timeline, but it definitely isn't my bible. as far as the texas? i'm dropping that one, i think. It works for TOS, but not TMP.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2008, 10:59:23 am »
You'll be adding torpedo launchers for these latest models, right?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2008, 11:06:22 am »

Oh yeah. those too.
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2008, 12:32:54 pm »

Oh yeah. those too.
Awesome! Man cannot live by phasers alone, lol! :2gun:

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:38 pm »
Mate,

You have gotten very good in the past 12 months, really come on leaps and bounds... this is some real real nice work you should be proud..    the problem with modelling nowadays is that sub standard is just  not good enough and expectations are really high.. and its nice to see some old school faces up there with the best of them.

nice job mate.  8)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »
If you're adding torpedoes to the Burke, why not switch them out with those wannabe shuttlebays on the raised portion of the hull? They're too small to carry shuttles, at least if the bridge is any indication.

Mounting them in the raised deckhouse of the DWs might also look interesting.

Personally I'm turned off to the idea of mounting the torpedoes in boxes at the front end of the saucer. I suppose I just don't like the aesthetics, and find it a little...uhm...lazy? To just slap a torpedo box there and call it the forward torps.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:33:07 pm by Norsehound »

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2008, 07:50:26 am »
Very nice work on the SFB Stuff  :thumbsup:

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2008, 12:58:09 pm »
Thank you, guys. It's really flattering for you guys to say that :-).

Norsehound: I do plan on adding torpedoes to all the ships above. You've got a good idea for where the burke's would go. As far as the other two, I was thinking under the saucer, in the traditional place, but ill give the raised deck area a shot, too. I agree, the front of saucer doesnt work - unless its hung below it juts slightly, ie: in the OP+ mod the CLs and DWs.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2008, 12:50:20 pm »
Halloween has introduced a new factor in my life, for the way better. Thusly, I haven't had a chance to work on these as much as i otherwise would have. However, I still have been chugging away at stuff.

I introduce the Edinburgh-class Corvette.

Robinomicon