Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276065 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #480 on: June 11, 2009, 06:18:32 pm »
one panel down.

EDIT: Here's another

Edit: yet another render
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:36:46 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2009, 01:35:59 am »
I love the TMP era of design. The ships, the instrumentation, the uniforms... it's all an extension of TOS but with the whimsical, "cheesy" elements whittled away. Personally I like Early TMP (Movies 2-4) in terms of aesthetics of the ships (dials and such), but the later touch-screens I also liked too... from the roundels to the blue-and-green instrumentation lighting. Never liked the LCARS of TNG as much...

Ships with metal decking say that the ship is for serious business. It's functional, rather than luxurious, utilitarian over frivolous. It means the job can get done when it has to be without frills getting in the way. I think that's what Matt Jeffries was shooting for when he drew up the stage plans for the original enterprise.

So, if you're making bridges of the excelsior, will you also entertain the idea of making the NX version of the excelsior's bridge? In a way, I thought that design was even more advanced than what we had in TNG!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2009, 07:18:13 am »
very nice work on the Bridge  ;D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
I love the TMP era of design. The ships, the instrumentation, the uniforms... it's all an extension of TOS but with the whimsical, "cheesy" elements whittled away. Personally I like Early TMP (Movies 2-4) in terms of aesthetics of the ships (dials and such), but the later touch-screens I also liked too... from the roundels to the blue-and-green instrumentation lighting. Never liked the LCARS of TNG as much...

I completely agree. The later TMP years had the perfect aesthetic for me. I never cared for the LCARS style, but I think I have something in mind for sort of updating it.

Ships with metal decking say that the ship is for serious business. It's functional, rather than luxurious, utilitarian over frivolous. It means the job can get done when it has to be without frills getting in the way. I think that's what Matt Jeffries was shooting for when he drew up the stage plans for the original enterprise.

I have diamond pattern for now, but I have it set up so that I can use carpeting (or a combination) at a moments notice. The carpeting can be good to add some more color if its desired - but I like the diamondplate more.

So, if you're making bridges of the excelsior, will you also entertain the idea of making the NX version of the excelsior's bridge? In a way, I thought that design was even more advanced than what we had in TNG!

I hated the NX-Excel bridge. It felt very hokey. I don't think I will be visiting it, no. Ugh, those chairs... blech.

very nice work on the Bridge  ;D

Latest shot.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2009, 12:57:01 pm »
That is just sweet. Even if you can't do the ships thers alot of BC players out there bow to your eternal gracousness for the kick ass bridge set.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2009, 02:17:50 pm »
just wait untill I get the screencaps of the churchill posted :D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »
Starforce, you can upload the curchill to BCFiles if you'd like. Just remember to give me credit.

All the consoles are done.

Question: should I include the captains table/pillar that you see on the Excelsior in The Undiscovered Country?
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2009, 11:15:19 am »
Question: should I include the captains table/pillar that you see on the Excelsior in The Undiscovered Country?
You mean the "Tea Cart?" LOL! I hated that thing! :drink:

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #488 on: June 15, 2009, 12:22:07 pm »
I didn't finish the hp on it yet but probably soon I will.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #489 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:15 pm »
Bah, never liked the TNG 'arm' helm and nav consoles. Looks like a lazy way to makeup the -A's nav console :\

I thought the tray was optional on Excelsiors, not required. Still, if they could have a tea-tray there i wonder what else they could have put there. If you're doing a 'standard' bridge, might as well remove it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:26 pm »
The TNG consoles don't bother me much. Having two of the Ent-A Styled consoles (one in the middle and one in the rear) seems too much. Better to mix it up some.

I'm not building a standard bridge. I'm making a Bridge-Builder file. I'm going to upload the Max File and all the textures, so that people can swap around what parts they want and build there own bridge.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #491 on: June 16, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
http://bc-central.com/forums/index.php/topic,5934.0.html

Ok, here are the pix. ALl the glows look good. So I'll finish her up soon.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #492 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22:37 pm »
FoAs,

I had a thought about another game engine...

What about putting the models into Star Wars: Empire at War Forces of Corruption? The galaxy is modifiable via XML texting changes and the game is very modifiable overall.

They have missiles, superweapons, shield effects, fighter/carrier capabilities and best of all are fleet friendly. With an added bonus of planetary landing and conquests. I have been tinkering with a Spanish version of Clone Wars mod that really makes realistic ship vs fighter scales on space maps look really good.

I have no gripes about the game overall but due note that there are no striaght TOS or TMP mods for that game yet. IIRC there was a TNG era onein development somewhere on Moddb.

The Republic At War Mod that should be released in the near future, IIRC, may feature mini-jumping across portions of a given map.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »
FoAs,

I had a thought about another game engine...

What about putting the models into Star Wars: Empire at War Forces of Corruption? The galaxy is modifiable via XML texting changes and the game is very modifiable overall.

They have missiles, superweapons, shield effects, fighter/carrier capabilities and best of all are fleet friendly. With an added bonus of planetary landing and conquests. I have been tinkering with a Spanish version of Clone Wars mod that really makes realistic ship vs fighter scales on space maps look really good.

I have no gripes about the game overall but due note that there are no striaght TOS or TMP mods for that game yet. IIRC there was a TNG era onein development somewhere on Moddb.

The Republic At War Mod that should be released in the near future, IIRC, may feature mini-jumping across portions of a given map.

Qapla'

KF
KF, this is a good point. I have seen at least 2 Battlestar Galactic mods for EaW FoC, so it seems natural that a Trek mod could be done. How cool would that be!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
NEWS FLASH

Ever wanted to create your own Star Trek interior? Now you can (sort of). FoaS/Robinomicon presents the Create-A-Set system. These models, which are to be released over an indeterminate amount of time, will allow you to puzzle-piece together your own Star Trek interior (or even exterior, eventually) "soundstage". The modules will be standardized and modular in nature, allowing you to pick and choose from modules released. The first to be released is the Door Module, which provides six sizes of doors for your use.

Included in the file is the PSD of the textures used, allowing you to change how the door appears. The PSD also comes with four pre-fabricated styles of textures including the style used on the Enterprise-D and the Voyager. The package also includes a chart outlining basic information on what size you should make your doorjams/arches and what not. The doors themselves come prerigged with Morph Modifiers, allowing you to animate the opening and closing of a door with a simple spinner. All you need to do is merge the door objects you want into your scene (I do not recommend opening the file directly, as I make use of some additional plugins which you may not have, merging the objects into your scene will only bring in the needed parts of the Max file).

The Door Module was built using 3ds Max 9 32-bit and may not be compatible with earlier versions. If demand is high enough I will include a Max4 version in an update.

You can download the door-module off of my site: Here.
Here is a view of the included models in the download.

Remember to credit me if you use them, or any other pieces of my work, and as always: Enjoy.

If you, yourself, make additional door styles, I encourage you to share your work. If they are of good quality - email me your modified PSD and I will include them in newer versions of the module, if you so wish.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #495 on: June 19, 2009, 12:21:42 am »
The Chair Module has been released. Please consult the HowTo.JPG due to an odd bit of naming conventions. Feedback always appreciated.

Link to Module: LINK

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:22:27 am by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #496 on: June 19, 2009, 01:50:48 pm »
Light Fixture Module has been started

Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #497 on: June 20, 2009, 01:49:31 am »
Very neat I bet that one will be very poular.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #498 on: June 20, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2009, 04:01:27 pm »
Progress on the light set.
Robinomicon