Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 275912 times)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2009, 06:12:16 am »
Have to say even as a SFB purist, I like the plain jane looks.  It will be interesting to see what skins make it on these.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »
Looks like a JJ style D7.
LOL   Its quite a bit older than "JJ-verse" mate :)

Not implying plagiarism. just that it would fit, stylistically, with the JJprise
Oh i know...lol just saying is all :p :D

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #522 on: June 29, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
I've been hoping to see a picture of a retextured D-10B.... what do I find instead?

A new fleet of Romulans...

Nicely done. It's is going to be fun blasting them into oblivion.

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #523 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:51 pm »
I've been hoping to see a picture of a retextured D-10B.... what do I find instead?

A new fleet of Romulans...

Nicely done. It's is going to be fun blasting them into oblivion.

KF

I got distracted :-P

Centurion is underway.

EDIT: Centurion is done, and so is the Senator/Sparrowhawk.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:15:12 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2009, 12:36:18 am »
That's exceptional work there.  Have you ever considered designing a fleet of Klingon/Romulan hybrid designs?  What you did with the D7 there is great, and I'd like to see more ships along those lines.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2009, 08:01:49 am »
That's exceptional work there.  Have you ever considered designing a fleet of Klingon/Romulan hybrid designs?  What you did with the D7 there is great, and I'd like to see more ships along those lines.

Not really. Just the D7/Stormbird. I didn't like how at least 50% of rom ships were actually klingon. I want to give the roms a sense of self again.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #526 on: June 30, 2009, 08:37:19 pm »

Gladius is pretty much done. On all of them I'm going to put ports for plasma launchers and little greebles.

EDIT: thats the gladius and the Praex, now.

EDIT: add the winged defender (well, my version of it) to the list.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:24:28 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #527 on: July 01, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
What? No neck/command boom on the winged defender? The Sparrowhawk style would look nice, IMHO.

It is going to be so cool to blast this new Romulan fleet.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #528 on: July 01, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
It's wierd to see the defender without that tail lol but otherwise I agree, it's going to be fun to blow these up.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #529 on: July 01, 2009, 08:27:17 pm »
Nope - no command boom on the winged defender. I MAY change my mind, but doubt it. It's my own take - I get to take my liberties :-).

You guys keep thinking you're going to be able to blow these guys away.... please.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #530 on: July 02, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »
That's why I loved Atolm's design - and why I wanted so badly to integrate it into the fleet.

I'm trying out a few details on the Eagle model, just to visually break up the model a bit. what do you guys think?

Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #531 on: July 02, 2009, 08:22:54 pm »
That's why I loved Atolm's design - and why I wanted so badly to integrate it into the fleet.

I'm trying out a few details on the Eagle model, just to visually break up the model a bit. what do you guys think?

SENSE OF HUMOR ALERT:

That bridge module is screaming 'shoot here!' LOL

Seriously though, once the textures are on it that shouldn't be as noticable.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #532 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:09 pm »
Atolm handed me an idea on a new way to do the bridge. I just haven't modeled it on yet.
Robinomicon

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2009, 03:47:40 am »
It's nice to see new variations.

I really like the style, (especially your new nacels!!!) they look complex, but really aren't, plus I can't wait to see what they look like with clothes on!

I do have one request, can you try adding the other two "heads" to the Stormbird (as variants)?
For some reason I'm just not digging that round head you got going on for now (though that might change when it gets textured). I'm just silly. Hehe...

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2009, 05:53:55 am »
It's nice to see new variations.

I really like the style, (especially your new nacels!!!) they look complex, but really aren't, plus I can't wait to see what they look like with clothes on!

I do have one request, can you try adding the other two "heads" to the Stormbird (as variants)?
For some reason I'm just not digging that round head you got going on for now (though that might change when it gets textured). I'm just silly. Hehe...

Yeah, I think the Storm Bird variant would look better with a Sparrowhawk head. The round head looks out of place in the new fleet, IMHO.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #535 on: July 15, 2009, 01:20:44 am »
Perhaps all the major member states have their own shipyards, but build from the same designs?  That could explain why ships are crewed by mostly one species, like the Enterprise with only one confirmed Vulcan and Andorian, as well as the ships with purely Vulcan crews.  In my little universe, USS stands for Unified Starfleet Ship, with ships built by various members but placed under a unified command structure.  Originally the Federation kept the various member state fleets in service, since they were undoubtedly composed of many ships built for the Romulan war, but as they wore out they were replaced with standardized designs, like the Constitution and the Surya.  The Daedalus was a joint project incorporating technologies from all the allies, which is why it is so different from earlier Earth ships according to The Starfleet Museum.

Given the depiction of Vulcan, the U.N. analogy is actually necessary.  It at least was not fully incorporated into the same government as Earth.

Food for thought :-)

Since the Enterprise's deflector is only orange/gold when it is powered down while in port, blue makes more sense.  What if you made the hull more white with the highlights grey/silver? 

The deflector powered down = orange, and powered up = blue was in the movie sure - but I retain the right to change whatever I want :-P. Besides - in this case, it isn't the deflector itself, its just a backlit surface - like a giant projector screen thats being illuminated.

I have come to dislike the huge deflector dish.  It doesn't make sense that it is necessary for Federation explorers or heavy cruisers but not for any other ships, Federation or otherwise.  I'm beginning to wish Jefferies had made a much smaller dish with other structures on the end of the hull to make it interesting, like a big hatch, an observation deck, or maybe the torpedo launchers.

Eh, I'm okay with it.

Bottom Hull

EDIT:

By the way it doesn't look like this anymore, still sorting out some issues here and there with her. Still need to do the warp grills, and the lower saucer, then all the lightr maps need updating and I have to break my groups to get the files exported to PSD for you. I did decide to go a new way with naming of the ships, that matches the TOS insignia idea. Since each ship had their own Insignia on the uniforms I decided that they would also have their own personal logo as well. This will make renaming a ship a bit more of a challenge as now they will alll need there own icons on the hull.

So the current one will be the Pegasus, using this Icon  behind the bridge
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »
Just to let you all know: I am not dead - real life has taken me away a bit, but I'll be back soon - i swear.

GAFY: Looking great. I might suggest one thing: keep the TOS department logos in there instead of the pegasus, the command star, the engineering E, and the science planets - it doesn't look very trek as it is right now.
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #537 on: July 16, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »
I can Agree on the Star on the side logo, but I do like the sword though. Although options are still availble for those, they just need to be in Red to make the colour scheme that is being use to look right. Will have to make more logos to try but I still like the idea of the different logo for a ahips name idea as it does follow Trek, and allows for some individual freedom.

I did finish the warp engines though, the grills and will being finishing the panelling for them tonight. That just leaves, the lower saucer, the saucers ligjht maps, a new impulse vent, and the Deflector to be done. Along with the fixes that I mentioned, and unfortuantly you were right a detail should be modelled in as the look is just to missing otherwise. The cooling tubes on the upper saucer need to be modelled, I think they can be added to sit free on the top like the ones on the side by the logo.

So with luck I will be able to send out the next WIP, mostly finished except for Alts, by Sunday night. At that point I will need to wait to see if you can get the model modifications done and some test renders to look for errors that don't show in GMax or the Mod viewer.

Then it is off to work out what we would like to see as changes for the ship, until we are both happy with it.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #538 on: July 17, 2009, 07:28:34 pm »

Gladius is pretty much done. On all of them I'm going to put ports for plasma launchers and little greebles.

EDIT: thats the gladius and the Praex, now.

EDIT: add the winged defender (well, my version of it) to the list.

omg, foas, these are just to drool over. i love these meshes111. fantastic job. cant wait for em to get skinned.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #539 on: July 18, 2009, 12:54:44 am »
on the winged defender, have you thought of giving it a senator head/neck and either having the guns trade places with the nacelles or enlarging the guns into a weapons pod that might contain a plasma launcher with a pair of disruptor barrels (or something of that nature)? This would upsize the ship perhaps a tad but...it might look kinda cool.

Also don't forget this one: http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbash/trekpage_seabird.html
That, combined with the body from your version of the D class might actualy look better than the original.