Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273590 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: Busy Busy FoaS
« Reply #740 on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:01 am »

Besides, you don't have to use my models, if you think it will slow you down...

Righto, but I so do wanna use em. Theys bad ass models. But I went ballistic on Adonis because he creates this eye candy ship no one in their right mind should ever take on to a D2 server... but fails to mention to anyone a warning that doing so isnt wise. Why should he?

Here's the problem. A lot of unsuspecting players D/L these models (the high poly/big texture) and never know why they are lagging and causing oos games in multi. The onus should be on the modeler in the readme file AND in the release post where the D/L link is explaining just how friendly or not it is in missions with tons of fighters, PF's and drones. To me, the modelers that make high texture high poly models arent helping the D2/GSA community when there arnt warnings about using them. A lot of end users are pretty niave. /rant off. ;)

Nice models btw.  :D (braces for a beating)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #741 on: November 10, 2009, 08:30:28 am »
A players naivete is not my problem - I just make pretty things. I shouldn't have to go out of my way to compensate for the naive player. I do the best I can with what I have until I am satisfied with it. Beyond that? everything else is secondary.

I appreciate the point you are making, though.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #742 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18:47 pm »
Maybe D2 should stick to stock models then ... or maybe even 2d counters?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #743 on: November 10, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »
LOL - I was thinking that exact thing this morning, mudd >.<
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #744 on: November 10, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »
Maybe D2 should stick to stock models then ... or maybe even 2d counters?

:smitten: :smitten:
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #745 on: November 10, 2009, 02:14:29 pm »
I think KF was right about the Mirak being too blocky - here's a retry

or with proper smoothing groups
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #746 on: November 10, 2009, 02:22:29 pm »
ugh, with the 'hatted head' convention cemented into my Star Trek knowledge from the Cardassians and the Klinks... :\ I have to point out that feature on your Kzin. Might make sense in taking stuff from the Klingons made the Kzin where they are...

though, speaking of borrowing...

The Warps look to " Federation" in my opinion but the rest looks damn good

You could say that the Kzinti acquired modern warp engine technology in their alliance with the Federation, replacing the older-and-slower models they've been using against the other powers. That's why Romulan BOP engines look like the Enterprise's after all, a cut line of dialogue from the asteroid base commander suggests espionage on the part of the romulans to get the drive. It's not canon, but I thought it fit nicely.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #747 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »
Bear in mind that only the FF will have the "hat-head". The larger ships will have the Iron head like the Taldren designers. Consider the SFB frigate design. Don't worry, this design will fit in completely with the the new Mirak fleet. I just wanted to have something slightly different from the standard SFB-itis (ie: bashing around stuff and calling it good).

I've already kicked the Federation-like nacelles in favor of something else. Atolm gave me a few pointers.
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #748 on: November 10, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »
Off to a good start. No blocky grooved/indented warp engines please.

Also Sbloyd [sp?] had some interesting Mirak designs. Unfortunately, I don't have a link handy.

Qapla'

KF

"Klingon Art Critic at large"
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #749 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:03 pm »
I know of Sbloyd's designs, and I am not a fan of them, either.

I need to chew on the warps a bit more before I post the completed idea.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (Mirak/Kzinti)
« Reply #750 on: November 10, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »

Atolmian-style nacelles

EDIT: Alternate view, and I added a cut-out to the missle pod struts

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:39:44 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #751 on: November 10, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »
I added some - hard to see in that render, though
Robinomicon

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #752 on: November 10, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »
These nacelles work nicely
Maybe some detailing on the missile pods?

Those can be a good red ant fleet.  As for the detailing on the missile pods, textures would probably be better then increasing the mess detail.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #753 on: November 11, 2009, 12:45:33 am »
Okay, here's the deal. The ship that I just showed in my last post is now the Mirak DD, not the FF. That's because I just started on the new FF model. It's going to take cues from the ENT concept, but will fit in smoothly with where I am going with it.

second view, from the top.

Obviously this is just the head of the craft.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #754 on: November 11, 2009, 01:00:43 am »
Frigate and DD together

Top-down view
Robinomicon

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #755 on: November 11, 2009, 06:34:31 am »
They remind me too much of Cardacians.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #756 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:27 am »
They won't when I am done with them
Robinomicon

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #757 on: November 11, 2009, 11:23:41 am »
Nice start mate.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #758 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:44 am »
these dont look cardassian at all
Eh, you figure that back at in Kirk's time, the Cards didn't have the technology to shrink their warp engine nacells down to nothing, their ships would have looked very different from the DS9 ships.  I'm still kind of fond of Taldren's origional concept for the Kzin (I mean Mirak.)  I would love to see some retro Cards.

Still, Fury is amazing!  It's not just the quanty of ships, but the quality is there as well.  Some modelers will tweak the Hades out of their pet model, whether anyone appreciates it or not.  Fury seems to be able to knock out an entire game's worth of models in no time, and all of them presentable.  If Fury doesn't work for a software developer, then there is a developer that is missing out on some serious talent!
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #759 on: November 11, 2009, 12:01:25 pm »
Thanks Tulwar, very flattering - Now if only bethesda would realize that ;).

BTW - I only see a slight cardie/klingon resemblence in that one ship. I maintain that it is a happy coincidence, a happy coincidence that I saw in the SFB Frigate Miniature.

Atolm has made a set of Retro-Cardassians, which is in the queue somewhere for me to texture
Robinomicon