Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273685 times)

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (Mirak/Kzinti)
« Reply #920 on: November 27, 2009, 06:21:16 pm »
Absolute works of art, Fury! And man, do they ever look great in-game; you can almost see the scratching post, the catnip garden, and a giant ball of yarn through the windows!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #921 on: November 27, 2009, 07:34:41 pm »
Lidless Eye-class SWAC Destroyer is up for download

Use the same link as the Death Howl.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #922 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »
Kzinti fighter idea.

I wanted to go with something that maintained the general layout of the SFB Z-FT (that is a shuttle-like fuselage and a pair of wings mounted on the near-top of the fuselage) After that I just ran with it.

Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #923 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:21 pm »
Light Fighter next to a Heavy Fighter

EDIT:
Bomber along side

Not sure if I like where this one is going, I sort of miss the semi-circular front I had on the ships.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:52:13 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #924 on: November 28, 2009, 02:28:03 am »

EDIT: Attrition Units
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:46:47 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #925 on: November 28, 2009, 06:16:50 am »
I don't know about making the fighters look like planes.  They don't need tails in space and volume would be at a premium on a space ship.  Should there be rocket launchers on the ends of the wings?

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #926 on: November 28, 2009, 08:24:52 am »
Fighters, would normally be expected to perform in all conditions and environments , from atmospheric to aquatic, and of course in space..... and even the dense atmospheres of Gas Giants (to a degree)

Heck most races (Minus Borg) allow their capital ships to be aerodynamic enough to at least consider the option of an atmosphere, because you can never tell if your ship will be forced to deal with such an environment.
Romulan and Klingon capital ships are a prime example of this, as structurally they are designed to be a glider should the need arise. Even your average fed ship could drop through the stratosphere and at the right altitude, its saucer could produce enough lift for a few extra minutes of unpowered flight needed to bring power up again... So it doesn't go splat :P

I don't know about that.  In an atmosphere most ships with a "neck" would suffer terrible stresses at that weak point.  I imagine a D7 could easily have the pod ripped right off if it experienced too much resistance.

As for fighters, I thought of that, but then mightn't they have different fighters for different roles, as in TAS with it's several different shuttles?  Even if the fighters are designed to perform in an atmosphere if necessary, they could probably do just fine with a more compact shape, like Goa'uld death gliders.  I just question whether the benefit of tails on a fighter that would only sometimes fly in an atmosphere would outweigh the cost in volume.

But don't pay too much attention to me.  I'm one of those annoying nerds who looks for practicality rather than aesthetics.  Part of me hates most Star Trek designs because they seem so wrong, with external engines making perfect targets, their big pieces connected with thin struts, their exposed bridges.  Even the big dish on Federation cruisers bother me, since most ships don't have them, even other smaller Federation ships.  I still wonder why the Colonials in NBSG abandoned the basestar design in favor of the much less practical battlestar shape.

In other words, don't let my nerdy nit-picking get in the way of artistic creativity.

Offline Kitchener

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #927 on: November 28, 2009, 08:40:31 am »
looks great ingame  ;)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #928 on: November 28, 2009, 08:59:09 am »
The valkyrie was my primary point of inspiration for the Kzinti fighter. Its true.
The reason being is that the original fighter from SFB and it actually share some similarities.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #929 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:54 am »
Take a look at the SFB design of the kzinti Fighter.

Not a lot of room to work with. If you think it looks human, remember that they aren't textured yet - it is when a thing is textured that reservations fly out the window. The underslung nacelles are only prevalent on two of these designs, and really, it doesn't make sense to further increase your frontal profile. Don't worry - other things will be done with other races. Hell, I'm not even sure that this will be the final design for the kzinti-fighter nacelle (which I doubt it will be).

A version of the two fighters with atmosphric bits. (a bomber is deployed via planet, not starbase or ship, so they need to have some atmo control).

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #930 on: November 28, 2009, 09:19:29 am »
Sorry for double post but...

The valkyrie was my primary point of inspiration for the Kzinti fighter. Its true.
The reason being is that the original fighter from SFB and it actually share some similarities.

If your looking into 40k for design inspiration, Try using some Tau features. They were based on a more anime style of their Imperial designs... And when I think of Anime... Cat people are bound to show up....
(not that the Tau are cat people, just not human)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/TAU_AIRCRAFT.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/TAU_VEHICLES.html

I want to save tau-like features for other things ;)
Robinomicon

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #931 on: November 28, 2009, 10:02:44 am »
Strange, it seems all these criticisms could be made of the Federation fighters.  The models will appear in the game too small to really make out their features, so it doesn't really matter.  Personally, I would think a SFB/SFC fighter would have to look like it's made for hypersonic speed, yet fit in a two car garage.  That's a rather tall order, so there's no point in saying anything if someone doesn't make my mark.  When SFB started putting the damage boxes for their fighters in silhouettes of aircraft, all sorts of modellers decided to follow suit.  In practicality, there would only be a few basic designs that would function aerodynamicly.  There is a reason that the Russian space shuttle looks just like ours, and it isn't just because it a cheap copy.

Ya'll really need to lower your expectations for SFC fighter models.  They just need a little racial flavor, and that's it.  The game is about ships, and fighters are only an after-thought.  Sorry FoaS, some jobs are just thankless.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #932 on: November 28, 2009, 10:28:12 am »
Strange, it seems all these criticisms could be made of the Federation fighters.  The models will appear in the game too small to really make out their features, so it doesn't really matter.  Personally, I would think a SFB/SFC fighter would have to look like it's made for hypersonic speed, yet fit in a two car garage.  That's a rather tall order, so there's no point in saying anything if someone doesn't make my mark.  When SFB started putting the damage boxes for their fighters in silhouettes of aircraft, all sorts of modellers decided to follow suit.  In practicality, there would only be a few basic designs that would function aerodynamicly.  There is a reason that the Russian space shuttle looks just like ours, and it isn't just because it a cheap copy.

Ya'll really need to lower your expectations for SFC fighter models.  They just need a little racial flavor, and that's it.  The game is about ships, and fighters are only an after-thought.  Sorry FoaS, some jobs are just thankless.

Is that so..... So how come when i focus on my fighters i get this?

I've seldom been able to get that up close and personal with small craft in SFC, and never while actually playing a mission.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #933 on: November 28, 2009, 10:48:01 am »
Doesn't much matter how close anyone gets to it, really. I'm making the model how I'm making them, if they stand up to close scrutiny (which I think they will), excellent, if not - then people who play missions will still be satisfied.

I'm more interested in the design than the execution, since I have executions down pat *chick chick*....
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #934 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:34 pm »
I have successfully unwrapped the ZCL - now to see if said unwrapping is workable.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #935 on: November 28, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »
Seems to be working so far.

I had to split the hull into two textures, but I'm okay with that :-P
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #936 on: November 29, 2009, 12:27:26 am »
since I have executions down pat *chick chick*....

*looks over at Fury's gun, takes it and eats it*  Not bad.  *spits out some of the firing pin*  Needs garlic and pepper.  *burps and shoots out ammo*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #937 on: November 29, 2009, 12:30:26 am »
 :-\  :screwloose:
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #938 on: November 29, 2009, 12:31:55 am »
oh, and I don't care if the mods yell at me, but THOUSAND POST!

also: an excuse for the tiniest of progress reports.

I should really do a texture tutorial >.<
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #939 on: November 29, 2009, 10:20:29 am »
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.