Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276251 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (ISC Fleet Pack)
« Reply #1020 on: December 27, 2009, 12:06:04 am »
sweet.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #1021 on: December 27, 2009, 12:07:58 am »
Can't wait to see your take on the Gorn.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #1022 on: December 29, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »
Fury, any word on when you might release your Miranda light cruiser? Or Avenger Heavy Frigate for the FASA fans. Not pushing, just curious.  :D

Offline starship

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #1023 on: December 31, 2009, 04:47:54 am »
You do amazing low polly ships FoaS! Don´t want to adventure in the high polly territory too? I´m sure you can do great meshes. ;)

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1024 on: December 31, 2009, 07:35:45 am »
You do amazing low polly ships FoaS! Don´t want to adventure in the high polly territory too? I´m sure you can do great meshes. ;)

He's an artist, who needs poly detail if you can do pixels?  :)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1025 on: January 16, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
Bump for news.  This topic should remain on page 1.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1026 on: January 22, 2010, 12:06:46 am »
Tripple bump? Also a request on the Miranda's status.

Took a look at your Excelsior again finally (now that SFC runs on my computer again), would you care for some critiques?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1027 on: January 22, 2010, 01:04:57 am »
I'm still addicted to DDO. The seminar is actually getting me back into the modelling mood, so I'll be working on these again soon.
I can release the miranda as my next fed release, if you'd like.

As far as the excel. You can offer a critique, but I'm probably not going to change anything (part laziness, and part "Doing something once is science, doing something twice is engineering, doing something more than twice is being a technician - I like science" meaning I've made it, I don't feel like remaking it). however, I still like to have others examine my work, so critique is handy.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1028 on: January 22, 2010, 05:46:59 am »
I figured that's how you'd feel about it :P Since I've taken steps into modeling I imagine I'd be the same way- especially with something unwrapped and textured!

Many of these points are on accuracy- the most glaring being the size of the deflector dish. I noticed how much 'forehead' room you had between the neck and the top of the deflector tunnel and saw that, well, it was more than what we see in the shots. The sensor on the underside of the saucer also had an extended 'notch' from the others, pointed aft? The NX in STIII had no such modification (you can see it in the scene of the ship just before Mister Scott leaves engineering). And while there's no good shot of it, the structure at the front end of the shuttlebay isn't cargo doors- it's some pod thing with lit windows. There's an image on Ex Astris with a specific closeup- visible only for a smidge when Enterprise is pulling into spacedock.

The other things are just minor texture things I guess. The shuttlebay can be fixed with re-texturing and lighting. But one of the prominent pieces of paint missing is a blue band running around the perimeter of the secondary hull. You have a trench there now, but it's distinctly a band. You're also missing the registries on the nacelle's back ends.

...Anyway, that's that. Your Excel is Excellent otherwise. I suppose I have a keen eye for these detail things because I'm thinking about setting out to make a high-poly high-detail accurate Miranda model, if I can actually get around to it. Unlike the Excel and Enterprise though, the Miranda/Reliant does not have a wealth of images about it charting every detail. In fact, I'd say out of the TOS federation movie models, the Reliant has the least amount of photographic references. There are AT LEAST two conflicting blueprints out there on the internet as well!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1029 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:32 am »
Yup most of the things you mentioned were personal preferences (the extended sensor notch, the second cargo door (making it through-deck made sense to me). The nacelles is because I got lazy. Might be a problem with the way I unwrapped the reg's too. The paint job is already inaccurate as hell, because of my style, so missing details wouldn't bother me.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1030 on: January 22, 2010, 08:46:15 pm »
I can understand personal preferences. Frankly, were I do to an Excelsior, I'd want to make the deflector hole perfectly round instead of the teardrop shape it seems to have in canon.

But yeah, the Reliant release would be nice to have next. What model did you use as a base? The Miranda-pack one?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1031 on: January 22, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
Yup, though, I have corrected the height of the rollbar
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1032 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »
Foas,

Skip the flat head stuff for now, LOL. Release more of the non-flathead stuff.

Where's your retextured D-10? What's the status of the Mirak fleet?

I hope we haven't completely lost you to D&D online... We may need to send a rescue party...

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline KBF_Gow

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1033 on: January 25, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »
I figured that's how you'd feel about it :P Since I've taken steps into modeling I imagine I'd be the same way- especially with something unwrapped and textured!

Many of these points are on accuracy- the most glaring being the size of the deflector dish. I noticed how much 'forehead' room you had between the neck and the top of the deflector tunnel and saw that, well, it was more than what we see in the shots. The sensor on the underside of the saucer also had an extended 'notch' from the others, pointed aft? The NX in STIII had no such modification (you can see it in the scene of the ship just before Mister Scott leaves engineering). And while there's no good shot of it, the structure at the front end of the shuttlebay isn't cargo doors- it's some pod thing with lit windows. There's an image on Ex Astris with a specific closeup- visible only for a smidge when Enterprise is pulling into spacedock.

The other things are just minor texture things I guess. The shuttlebay can be fixed with re-texturing and lighting. But one of the prominent pieces of paint missing is a blue band running around the perimeter of the secondary hull. You have a trench there now, but it's distinctly a band. You're also missing the registries on the nacelle's back ends.

...Anyway, that's that. Your Excel is Excellent otherwise. I suppose I have a keen eye for these detail things because I'm thinking about setting out to make a high-poly high-detail accurate Miranda model, if I can actually get around to it. Unlike the Excel and Enterprise though, the Miranda/Reliant does not have a wealth of images about it charting every detail. In fact, I'd say out of the TOS federation movie models, the Reliant has the least amount of photographic references. There are AT LEAST two conflicting blueprints out there on the internet as well!

Except, none of this exists.  You are making models based upon models.  To be that technically fussy about conjectural ships based on studio models and fan speculation is just a bit of a reach.

I went through the ultra anal stage years ago making armor models, including casting my own "correct" parts, brass, etc,  200 dollars worth of reference books to work on a freeking 15 dollar model, and at the end of the day, about 3 people actually cared.  And this was basing off actual, existing Armor, with plenty of actual references.  This included, of course, finding new references on a completed model and trashing it over some idiotic scale measurement off by a minor amount.

It's not worth it, nor is it worth it to critique others work on minor details of nonexistant real ships.  The original makers of the models had fun, that is what we should do as well.  Minor inconsistancies abound in the movie versions.  The overall look and feel is what matters.

And no matter what inaccuracies there may be, there is always the Paramount Explanation.  "Ah.. Umm, Alternate Timeline, yaaa, that's the ticket"

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1034 on: January 25, 2010, 09:33:31 pm »

Except, none of this exists.  You are making models based upon models.  To be that technically fussy about conjectural ships based on studio models and fan speculation is just a bit of a reach.

I went through the ultra anal stage years ago making armor models, including casting my own "correct" parts, brass, etc,  200 dollars worth of reference books to work on a freeking 15 dollar model, and at the end of the day, about 3 people actually cared.  And this was basing off actual, existing Armor, with plenty of actual references.  This included, of course, finding new references on a completed model and trashing it over some idiotic scale measurement off by a minor amount.

It's not worth it, nor is it worth it to critique others work on minor details of nonexistant real ships.  The original makers of the models had fun, that is what we should do as well.  Minor inconsistancies abound in the movie versions.  The overall look and feel is what matters.

And no matter what inaccuracies there may be, there is always the Paramount Explanation.  "Ah.. Umm, Alternate Timeline, yaaa, that's the ticket"

Gow, you're a man after my own heart.  What is the point in trying to remake somebody else's model anyway?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1035 on: January 26, 2010, 02:13:41 am »
The original makers of the models had fun, that is what we should do as well.  Minor inconsistancies abound in the movie versions.  The overall look and feel is what matters.

You sound like my Dad when he tells me "It's just a TV show". Well, excuse me for being an enthusiastic fan with an eye for detail.

I'm not trying to push FoAS into remaking his model, if that's what it sounds. I was just offering comments and critiques because I thought he initially set out to make an accurate excelsior model. If he didn't want my critique, he could have said so.

Frankly I find it enjoyable to spend the effort and time to craft a model to be accurate to studio-specifications in all areas of detail. Why did WillDecker go to great lengths to make HIS Enterprise model hyper accurate to TMP? Why do physical modelers go all-out to have their TOS E's have spiny buzzard scoops? I don't care (and I don't think they do, either) if anyone else enjoys it or not- it's a hobby. We do it for ourselves. Obviously hyper-accurate is not as important to FoAS as it is to me, but I felt like offering my observations anyway.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1036 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:18 am »
You do understand that models made to the level of detail you speak would be unplayable because the would be 200k+ polies

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1037 on: January 26, 2010, 04:22:42 am »
Detail doesn't have to be rendered necessarily by polygons. Sometimes I think models in SFC become ugly when you go overboard on the geometry and render every little detail... the trick is finding the balance and making the textures seem as if they're projecting geometry. Optical illusions I suppose...

When I say Detail, I mean every placement of the windows, discriminating which lines are where, how far apart the registry and numbers are... on the textures. Even going so far as to represent the lights on that plain dome of the NX's bridge.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1038 on: January 26, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »
Please do not let my thread turn into another "Looks like SVC is okay" where people argue for 50 posts.

I don't mind someone pointing out the inaccuracies, even if I do ignore them. More information is always good.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1039 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »
My apologies Foas_XC. Perhaps whats need is a new thread for discusing our personal modeling philosophies.