Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276590 times)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (Back onto the Klingons)
« Reply #1060 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:13 pm »
I like the extended neck on the D-10 please leave it or include it as a seperate modfile. Please.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #1061 on: February 25, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »
Not really anymore windows than there already is (meaning very very few) windows are overrated to me.

I would agree on this point.  A window would be a weak point.  Thus the less of them, the stronger the hull.  I would say windows would be more like the main screen on the bridge, you have them putting up scanner/camera images so you have the look of a window on the inside, but keep the hull strong.  At least for the klingon, more utilitarian as they are.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1062 on: February 25, 2010, 10:09:53 pm »
Even from an aesthetic viewpoint windows can serve as a eye-catch, but these guys have enough and I don't want to overwhelm.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1063 on: February 25, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »
On a man of war, windows are few and far between.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1064 on: February 26, 2010, 01:36:36 am »
Windows are a human thing looking good man.

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #1065 on: February 27, 2010, 04:03:02 am »
why did you stick that ugly fragile C-7 boom to my D-10 ??
and i liked your texture style on the Mirak/Kzinti but i don't like it on those Klingons

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1066 on: February 27, 2010, 09:12:24 am »
The C-7 boom feels more solid, not quite as fragile as the normal D-10 boom. I didn't like how the D-10 goes from rather large to very skinny (granted the D7 and all other klinks do that, but this one seemed off and i think the C-7 balances it an inkling more).

The texture treatment was inspired by Qonos one, which i think is the prettiest of klingon ships.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1067 on: February 27, 2010, 10:22:31 am »
What? No D-10 download link yet? LOL

Hey, FoaS, have you considered adding the same command boom to the D5? That might turn out to be very interesting.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1068 on: February 27, 2010, 01:43:41 pm »
The D5 has the a totally different command neck - it has two smaller extensions that are close to the main hull. Those two little things are actually a big detail-point of the D5 that separates it from other klink ships. Losing those to replace it with a neck that I'm using in other places would cheapen it I feel.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1069 on: February 28, 2010, 03:24:34 am »
FoAS- ever consider making variants of the base models you have here? Swtiching out booms, minor kitbashing, and the like?

I always liked this version of the D5. The vanilla model didn't impress me as the rest of the lineup did when I started out with SFC1 way back when. Though it looks like another re-drawn D7 (something I didn't like about most of the SFB lineup- many of them re-draws of one ship), it's much, much better than the one we start with and there is some justification given that the D5 was supposed to be a new light cruiser... why not base it on a successful class?

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #1070 on: February 28, 2010, 06:36:44 am »
The C-7 boom feels more solid, not quite as fragile as the normal D-10 boom. I didn't like how the D-10 goes from rather large to very skinny (granted the D7 and all other klinks do that, but this one seemed off and i think the C-7 balances it an inkling more).

that was the reason why i added a widened Boom that i had added to my original D-10 model and that i use on my reworked C-7 and B1 models. why should the C-7 Boom you added be not that fragile cause of those extensions on the sides that make no reason to me ?? this boom looks as fragile to me like if you stick a standard D-7 boom to it.  ::)
but its your artistic interpretation.  :)

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #1071 on: February 28, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
actually, structurely speaking, those extensions on the side would actually stiffen the neck, making it less fragile about the z axis (aka yaw).  Though it would add very little about the y axis (pitch)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #1072 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »
are you planning on doing something to those textures so they don't look freshly polished out of the shipyard? Ya know..streaks, scorch marks..ect?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1073 on: February 28, 2010, 09:42:11 pm »
Maybe - the thread about my new texturing technique has some renders with a bit of grunginess. If I hammer out a quick way to do grunginess, I may jump for it, but I don't have a solid technique method, yet.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1074 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:37 am »
You could always make a grung template of semitransparent rust and such and just layer that on the verious textures as needed. That way once you got your rust perfected you wouldn't need to remake it every time just copy/paste.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1075 on: March 02, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »
Copy and paste with preformatted stuff works great for broad strokes of the metaphorical brush. Copy/paste for details is a bad idea - it makes it look bland.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1076 on: March 04, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »
Four more, or so, textures to go
Robinomicon

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #1077 on: March 04, 2010, 09:39:51 pm »
Ah, my old B-10. Not many people have messed with this one so its nice to see her get some variety finally.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #1078 on: March 05, 2010, 12:22:03 am »
Four more, or so, textures to go

:stopposting: But only long enough for a round of :drinkinsong:  Nice work.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1079 on: March 05, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »
B-10 is done.

A thousand thanks to WZ for making the original :)

Oh, and here's the klink fleet thus far.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:19:29 pm by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon