Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 276202 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1280 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:04 am »
Sorry guys, I found a problem with my TOS fed releases. Turns out that I have a few polies on the nacelles mismapped. They are fixed, but I'm in the process of getting the fixes up for redistribution. Standby for patches to be made.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1281 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:38 pm »
Another TOS fed coming soon.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1282 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:41 pm »
Kearsarge is all texture-baked

I really like this new technique ;)
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1283 on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »
Pegasus

Don't everyone get all enthused all at once, don't know if I could handle it ;)
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1284 on: April 26, 2010, 11:46:30 pm »
MarcoPolo-class Survey Cruiser
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #1285 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:22 am »
MarcoPolo-class Survey Cruiser

I like this one.  You're tempting me to post a TOS ship I just finished.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1286 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »
Its nice to see some of LS's ships again. Good work.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1287 on: April 27, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1288 on: April 27, 2010, 04:23:15 pm »

Okay, I love the Chandley Class... TMP version. After the Churchill, this is my favorite Federation TMP era ship.

I like what has been done with this TOS version with the open wing areas being closed off.

Now for the 64,000.00 question: Where are you putting the deflector on it? 

I have seen a TMP version with the deflector under the main saucer where the navigational dome is usually found. However since the USS Phobos has two smaller deflectors, I was wondering how a similar arrangement would look on the Chandley TMP or even the TOS one.

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1289 on: April 27, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »
Like this:

This is actually a retexture of Major Racal's TOS Chandley, so I'm constrained to his original design.

I am not going to make the TMP version of it. Reason being that I have enough TMP ships, and not enough TOS ships. Furthermore, there is enough "Refit" versions of ships floating around, Saladin -> Siva, Consitution -> Enterprise, Surya -> Miranda, you get the idea.
Robinomicon

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #1290 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »
I like what you've done to her already and I'd have absolutely no objections to you altering her further.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of a double deflector, but I loathe the dish on a stick so much more.  I'm not sure, but I don't think the model would break if you removed the deflector hull entirely and replaced it with something else.

As for the TMP Chandley's hollow wings, the various drawings FASA came up with are rather ambiguous.  Whilst some look hollow, some don't, and the metal miniature they came up with was definitely solid.  I always figured the big shoulders were intended to house the large marine complements they were commissioned to carry, along with all their equipment and a host of training, medical and other support facilities.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1291 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:27 pm »
I like what you've done to her already and I'd have absolutely no objections to you altering her further.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of a double deflector, but I loathe the dish on a stick so much more.  I'm not sure, but I don't think the model would break if you removed the deflector hull entirely and replaced it with something else.

As for the TMP Chandley's hollow wings, the various drawings FASA came up with are rather ambiguous.  Whilst some look hollow, some don't, and the metal miniature they came up with was definitely solid.  I always figured the big shoulders were intended to house the large marine complements they were commissioned to carry, along with all their equipment and a host of training, medical and other support facilities.

Amen MajorRacal.

I do recall the miniature having solid wings for the marine barracks. As a multi-role platform the hollow wings could be converted into hangar spaces for a strike carrier, again IMHO.

The TMP Chandley needs an update IMHO to at least fit in with the revised FASA Loknar aka USS Phobos.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1292 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:47 pm »
See, I actually like the little deflector hull, for me it stays (had to remodel it though, had some errors on it that were bothering me :/ ).
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1293 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:25 am »
Surya-class Light Cruiser

The real reason why i did the surya was so that I could do a quick bash, coming up.

Longbow-class Strike Cruiser
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:40:03 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1294 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »
Thanks, FW

Surya is texture baked:
I have off tomorrow, so aside from picking up my paycheck and heading to the bank, i have a free day. This means its conversion day :-)
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1295 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »
Chandley is texture baked, too
Robinomicon

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #1296 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:09 am »
I like those feds but they look more like late TOS/pre TMP ships from the detail you added to the Hull textures. What i don't like is that they have a orange-red warpgrille, i like them blueish.
Can you please tell me how you made those cool bussard textures??  :angel:

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1297 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:18 am »
I like those feds but they look more like late TOS/pre TMP ships from the detail you added to the Hull textures. What i don't like is that they have a orange-red warpgrille, i like them blueish.
Can you please tell me how you made those cool bussard textures??  :angel:

That's because they Are TOS. The Orange grille is something that I wanted to do ever since GAFY made his blue trim textures (which I have done as well) the reason why is to counter balance the overwhelming blues. I know they aren't too popular, but this is how I do it ;). (well, they are popular enough, since the saladin has been downloaded 800 times so far).

The bussards are a gradient with a few layers of what are called Fractal Flames layered on top (All set for Linear Dodge or Additive, they are the same thing mathematically speaking) in white, orange, and red/pink.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1298 on: April 29, 2010, 08:25:00 am »
I've been getting a lot of questions regarding how I go about doing this texture bake stuff. I will be posted a video I am about to make of how and why I go about it. If you have 3ds Max you can even follow along. It doesn't require any special plugins or anything. (3ds Max v5 I think is the earliest you can use, but I use max9,
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1299 on: April 29, 2010, 10:22:12 am »
So, here's the tutorial on how and why I do texture baking: Link
Thank Major Racal for motivating me to actually produce the video.

Today is my day off, so that means aside from the errands, today you will see a bunch of releases, hopefully.
Robinomicon