Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273658 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1340 on: May 02, 2010, 09:46:40 pm »
I know my striving towards uniformity tends to lean into cookie-cuttery, but alas, I am but one man.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1341 on: May 02, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »
Burke is up. Get her here
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #1342 on: May 03, 2010, 12:09:01 am »
I know my striving towards uniformity tends to lean into cookie-cuttery, but alas, I am but one man.
Strive to be Edison !  ;)  :thumbsup: 1 man made the world work!
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1343 on: May 03, 2010, 02:21:02 am »
Connie-X

In my universe this is the ship that Kirk commanded in the mission against v'ger - the Refit Constitution. The 1701-A is the "standard' refit-connie class, but the 1701 refit is this gal.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #1344 on: May 03, 2010, 02:25:51 am »
What parts did you use in that ship?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1345 on: May 03, 2010, 02:27:37 am »
all WZ parts. the Patton for the saucer and impulse deck, Gettysburg for the body, torp bay, and nacelle struts, and resolute for the neck and nacelles themselves.

So far only the saucer and the nacelles have been retextured. The rest will be tackled tomorrow as it is now 3:30am here.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1346 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
Finished retexturing it. Make sure you look at the full size of the image.

Robinomicon

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #1347 on: May 03, 2010, 12:01:23 pm »
Although you're putting it at TMP, I also think that your Connie-X would've made a great replacement for the one used in the Abrams movie.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1348 on: May 03, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »
Now that looks nice. Something along the lines of what I tried... only way better :P

Fury, I have a request, As we spoke about a while ago and how I had planned to use all your releases in my mod.... Would you be able to make some Connies... One for each of the known 12... Each with some subtle but noticeable changes and what not to show the history of them and so forth?

I have quite a bit on my plate as it stands. What kind of subtle differences are we talking about? I can't say yes or no without more information

Although you're putting it at TMP, I also think that your Connie-X would've made a great replacement for the one used in the Abrams movie.

Well, thats because of the nacelles and neck, really. WZ designed his resolute to hint at the JJPrise and bring it into the prime universe. I used such parts the same way, but differently. >.<
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1349 on: May 03, 2010, 06:58:06 pm »
Making 10 more connies out of differing parts while still making them all part of the same architectural lineage isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1350 on: May 03, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »
I have a set of true JJ Abrams nacelles (which I have yet to retexture), which I think I will use for smaller vessels, since they don't have visible warp grilles.

The way I see it is that these refit ships were few, even rare. It wasn't long before the true-TMP ships came along. These guys were just an intermediate step to see how viable the technology was.

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1351 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »
Richmond?

The secret to my bashes are simply textures. Putting consistent textures on all the parts makes all the difference - thats all.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1352 on: May 04, 2010, 12:12:47 am »
eh?

Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #1353 on: May 04, 2010, 12:25:43 am »
*shudders*  Uhhhh............don't think so.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1354 on: May 04, 2010, 12:28:47 am »
I kind of like it.... kind of.

It wasn't a serious attempt anyways.

I really want to have it so that these post-TOS/pre-TOS ships are refits of existing TOS ships - in most cases that is fine, but on some of these guys it might end up being a headache. Consider that the Surya has a welded saucer. To fit the new saucer into it I would have to do a lot of playing, which I don't feel like getting into tonight. Maybe in the morning.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1355 on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:05 am »
Surya-X
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1356 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
I like the direction you are going keep up the good work man :D

Well lets see 12 conis with different parts all dating before TMP style model. Production run of the prerefit style ship was 50 ordered in 3 batches with 38 finished and fited out  in 4 design styles from 2243 to 2275, and the earlier ships having had 1 if not 2 major overhules before 2270. Major componet changers over the spaceframe life included bridge modual, nav deflector, shield grid(lines on the hull), necelles, and necelle pylons. Weapons placement also veried overall with the number and location of phaser banks and the overall location and number of photon torpedo tubes. Crew complament veiried from 285 to 443 over the spaceframe life depending on refit status and date of construction.

The above info is a bit of a complation centered mainly on the Todd Gunther book which seamed to me to be the most realistic treating the info like what you would find in a Jane's Fighting Ships book. I know this won't help with the work but maybe it will help with ideas.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1357 on: May 04, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
If the mood strikes me, I will make more connie variants, but I don't feel like it at present.

Actually, what I'm doing tonight is cleaning my harddrive - reorganizing my models folder so I can make better sense of it. Furthermore, I've realized that most of my ships are actually out of scale with each other. Granted - that won't affect any mods I've released, but it's really bothering me on the 3ds Max side of things. That's the project for tonight.
Robinomicon

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #1358 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »
I wasn't going to reply, but these "post-TOS" era Fed ships are outstanding.  And the texturing is superb.  I like these a heck of a lot more then JJAbrams Enterprise.  Also, the blue trim is a nice touch, reminds me of a precurser to the excelcior class.   :)
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1359 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:01 pm »
Hah!

I just developed a maxscript that let's me grab a single section of one model, and a certain section of another model (like bridge modules) then match their sizes - so everything will be in proper scale.
Robinomicon