Topic: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)  (Read 273537 times)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Busy Busy FoaS (A few TOS ships here and there)
« Reply #1620 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:35 am »
not to contribute to any thread highjacking, but on that whole "Romulans didn't have warp drive" silliness... it was very silly in SFB (and even they backpedaled on it) but it's sorta fan-conjecture.
After all, Scotty's line in the ep is "Their power is simple impulse," referring to how the Big E could outrun it. Could have been an engineer's joke (the way I sometimes refer to my 1998 laptop as "hand-cranked") or maybe Rom drives are more like sci-fi "reactionless" drives (there's a "warp bubble" that makes Roms sort of massless and it's impulse engines push the ship) or maybe the Feds didn't understand the whole Rom quantum singularity drive and understimated them....

It's was only the 6th or 7th episode made... phasers looked like photons... the ship was part of "UESPA" and not "UFP"... better just ignore that whole damn sublight thing
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:02:30 pm by TAnimaL »

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1621 on: June 17, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »
I've often thought of it as not that they don't have warp drive, but that their power source is simply an Impulse plant.  The NX was also that type of ship.  Everything was tied into the Impulse Engines rather than the Warp Drive.  The Warp Drive could produce an immense amount of power, capable of making the ship travel Faster than Light, but they couldn't harness that power (for whatever reason) to power the ship's system.  The Federation had solved that problem when they debuted the Constitution Class, but the Romulans hadn't yet done so.  The encounter between the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey convinced the Romulans that they needed help, and turned to the Klingons, who had also solved that problem with the D-6 Battlecruiser.  Up until that point, the Romulans hadn't realized that the Federation had gotten so far ahead of them technologically.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1622 on: June 18, 2011, 12:28:39 pm »
C' mon FoaS release some more of your Non-Feds please. It's been a LONG time since you've released something other than a Fed ship...
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1623 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
Oh somethin' is getting released very soon :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:01:58 pm by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

intermech

« Reply #1624 on: June 18, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »
We wait with baited breath!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #1625 on: June 19, 2011, 12:14:59 am »
We wait with baited breath!

I tend to use cheese for that.. attracts almost anything including German girls.  >=)

(sorry, that was *too* much a setup that needed expanding on).  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1626 on: June 19, 2011, 03:17:14 pm »
MAN am I glad I backup every few weeks.

Lost a harddive... again.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1627 on: June 21, 2011, 04:58:54 pm »
I guess whatever awesome thing it was will have to wait, eh?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1628 on: June 21, 2011, 04:59:17 pm »
Not really ;)
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1629 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »
So the harddrive damage was not as bad as...well... last time?

Oh hey, here's a question- what do TOS Klinks look like? All the Klink stuff in here so far looks TMP.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1630 on: June 21, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »
I was lucky enough to have a semi-recent backup. I was worried that the terabyte drive was starting to misbehave as well. I'm going to invest in another one soonest, but it seems to be doing okay now.

TOS Klinks... I'm actually not really sure. SFB klinks have a good potential, but they suffer from SFB-itis (too kitbashy) as well as the overdone slate/simplicity. That being said, I want to avoid using FASA as a basis, because I feel like their TOS ships make better TMP ships. I want to avoid the "TOS = TMP without refit" meme, too. IE: The D10 shouldn't look like a Riskadh without detailing. (the D7 and k't'inga are an exception to this, you CAN'T have a TOS fleet without a D7).
What will probably end up happening is I'll use a tweaked/improved SFB designs as a basis, and then expand in a less kitbashy direction.
Robinomicon

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1631 on: June 21, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »
Well if you dug around you might find some inspiring designs... the Starfleet Museum as one example. Their Pre-TOS designs could be bumped up a generation since that's effectively what you did with the FASA Tos Designs. Hesitant as I am to reference the Enterprise-era klinks, that could be a direction also.

And what's wrong with being slab-sided and plain? Your Romulan TOS birds have plain hull surfaces.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1632 on: June 21, 2011, 09:35:39 pm »
I should rephrase what I meant. Slab-sided and slate is fine - if done right.
What I was attempting to refer to was the - uh - Cartoony? look of SFB designs.

If normal ships were built of legos, SFB ships feel like they are made of Duplex blocks.
Robinomicon

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1633 on: June 21, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »
I should rephrase what I meant. Slab-sided and slate is fine - if done right.
What I was attempting to refer to was the - uh - Cartoony? look of SFB designs.

If normal ships were built of legos, SFB ships feel like they are made of Duplex blocks.

Is tat a SFB TOS Klink?  on my worst day I could design something better lookin that that! ;D

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1634 on: June 21, 2011, 09:50:10 pm »
That is, in fact, an SFB B-10 Battleship. You see what I mean: lot's of potential, bad execution.
Robinomicon

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #1635 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »
OK I needed a good challenge, on my list now is a "good"  TOS era Klink fleet.  I'll Base if off the SFB but as you say less "cartoony"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #1636 on: June 21, 2011, 10:17:22 pm »
haha, nice! Let's see what you can do with it :)
Robinomicon

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #1637 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:02 am »
Yes the B-10 was not one of thier better designs  look at what was done for the C8 C9 Dreadnought which has more in common with
the D7 and is nicer design. Back before the model was released I was expecting a beefed up dreadnought  in the same
design linage.   ;D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #1638 on: June 28, 2011, 01:43:05 am »
So, how's that Federation TMP starbase coming along?

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #1639 on: June 28, 2011, 05:56:24 am »
Yes the B-10 was not one of thier better designs  look at what was done for the C8 C9 Dreadnought which has more in common with
the D7 and is nicer design. Back before the model was released I was expecting a beefed up dreadnought  in the same
design linage.   ;D

the SFB C-8/C-9s where even not that inspired as they are only streched hull variants of the C-7 with a new bigger boom and a third engine.  :angel:

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"