Topic: Say hello to the USS Kelvin NCC - 0514 ( trek 11 spoiler image inside )  (Read 23485 times)

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
Trek web posted a small image one of the new ships from trek 11, that's been shown in Entertainment weekly....
Got to say, I like this ship a lot!

http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/10/16/Entertaiment-Weekly-Reveals-Spoilers-for-the-Movie-Plus-New-Photo-of-the-USS-Kelvin.shtml
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: Say hello to the USS Kelvin NCC - 0514 ( trek 11 spoiler image inside )
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:13 pm »
Saw it yesterday while posting on the STO forums.  I have to say that I'm under the impression that the Kelvin may be a TNG ship, but that's just my opinion on it. 

I've seen other pictures of the movie.  Not sure what to make of the new bridge.  Makes you wonder what direction Trek is gonna go with this.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »
I wasn't alive for the TOS, but I remember the TNG coming on TV. I was raised on TOS though, and remember the excitement for TNG.
I can honestly say that i'm nothing but excited for this film, and design of the Kelvin appeals to me big time...

God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 11:16:02 pm »
The Kelvin looks like an ENT-ified Saladin. One can make out the under-hung nacelle just under the lip of the saucer. Add in a navigational deflector at the top, and there ya go.

Everything looked OK until the bridge scene. Is this seriously the bridge? What I can see looks like a disappointment- looking more like a parody bridge than a serious attempt at Trek.

But I'll save my judgment until the movie. But what I want to know is why Kirk is climbing out of an Enterprise escape pod.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:16 pm »
The Kelvin looks like an ENT-ified Saladin. One can make out the under-hung nacelle just under the lip of the saucer. Add in a navigational deflector at the top, and there ya go.

Everything looked OK until the bridge scene. Is this seriously the bridge? What I can see looks like a disappointment- looking more like a parody bridge than a serious attempt at Trek.

But I'll save my judgment until the movie. But what I want to know is why Kirk is climbing out of an Enterprise escape pod.

O thats easy... he like bear grylls, dropped in the middle of no where with a camera crew and shows us how to get out ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:48:59 pm »
The Bridge we are Discussing
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:54:04 pm »
I would say it reminds me of Stargate more than Star Trek
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 01:37:18 am »
hey, where are all the switches and primary color lights.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:48 pm »
The Bridge we are Discussing

I think the bridge looks great.
It''s bright, and filled with technology, and kind of optimistic looking.
I also think it's like an update to the bridge in the first Trek film, rather than the TOS.

I also like how Pine is sitting in that chair in a very Kirk like manner..... I really am stupidly excited about this film. There is nothing that catches my attention like this. Not even Dark Knight had me this interested.

Offline Darkseid

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:38:04 pm »
The Bridge almost looks too busy.  Though it seems to be an evolution of the NX-01 bridge.  The crew themselves though look the part.    The USS Kelvin is clearly a TNG era ship, as they say in the article that it plays a huge part in starting off the time travel portion of the movie.  I'm curious to see how this will fit into Nemesis.  I mean if it starts off as post Nemesis then how will they handle the whole Romulan/Reman thing?

UPDATE:  Wait a second... that registry is too low to be TNG.  OK, so I guess maybe that ship will be in the opening scene in the past, after the time travel event instead of before it.
"Humanity's homeworld had withstood centuries of attempts at self-destruction, but soon the aliens would amass a fleet and make all their struggles moot."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »
seem interesting, the engineering section is above the saucer, so where are the warp engines?

and is it before startrek 1?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »
seem interesting, the engineering section is above the saucer, so where are the warp engines?

There's a single nacelle slung beneath the saucer, opposite the "engineering section"

and is it before startrek 1?

The movie setting? Pre-TOS.

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:13:10 pm »
I'm not a fan of the bridge, but I am conservative on these types of things. Why didn't they choose to go with a slightly more primitive TOS bridge, like keeping the general feel of the colorful buttons and layout, and take out a station or something? This one is so spiffed-up, it looks like a step past TOS.

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 01:10:13 am »
Mmmmm Skirts! nice boots too... (potential)

:D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:32 am »
How can anyone say the Kelvin is a "modern" design? It doesn't look like a plastic bath toy like most of the TNG fleet. Ergo, it must be older.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 02:19:48 am »
Was thinking it looks more like it was put together from some one who was glue happy or did not read the instructions.
Would have been nioce it it had less of a kitbashed look to it

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
I would like to know if this is Kitbash model.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:47 pm »
I just noticed the screens-on-wires at Uhura's console in this new bridge... harkening back to "The Cage", perhaps?

I liked the look and feel of the TMP bridge, which this is not. Reminds me of the 'Cameo Bridge' from Star Trek IV- when it was painted all white and with all the lights on. *shrug* And it's still a parody bridge.

However, elsewhere it's been mentioned (Can't remember where off the top of my head) that the Kelvin's supposed to share a bridge set with the "Kobyashi Maru" training bridge set. So it's possible this is supposed to be a training bridge, and the 'Real" bridge will look a little more conservative. Hopefully it'll be less funky than what we've seen so far.

intermech

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »
The bridge looks likes something out of the Speed Racer movie.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 05:20:27 am »
if the enterprise is brand new, kirk would not be captain of it and would not be aboard the ship, when he get the enterprise the ship was not new since it got 2 captain before him and pike was just before him.

hope they don't screw that fact.