Topic: Trouble getting on Dynaverse II  (Read 9471 times)

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Trouble getting on Dynaverse II
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:19:36 am »
Hi, i recently found my OP again, and decided i wanted to get back into playing.  After a bit of that i decided i wanted to try online play, but i'm having some problems(probably caused by my own stupidity too.....).   I've been trying to follow the directions from here http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359567.0.html but i can't find the mentioned gamespy client, or where to register.  Any help is appreciated  :-[

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Trouble getting on Dynaverse II
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:42:33 am »
This should get you going:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/download/

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:33:32 am »
ah yes now it makes sense, i was looking for it on just the regular gamespy site, silly me ;D .  After getting that installed i realized i'd forgotten to do the directory server fix.  However when i try to run that program it gives me the error shown here http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/rmcin329/Starfleetcommand2OPproblem.jpg  The game is installed to the default directory so i'm not sure what its problem is.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:31:33 pm »
That's odd. I see Norton there. Best to disable it temporarily for all SFC-related installations.

Did you install the full version of OP+4? (It has the directory fix in it.)

Alternatively you can just edit the config file manually yourself:
in --> \MetaAssets\ServerProfiles\Multiplayer\WONServerSetup.gf
change it so this section matches the one in your file:
[WONDirectoryServer/Addresses]
0="client.sfc.dynaverse.net:15101"
1="client.dynaverse.net:15101"
2="sfc2.directory.stasis.ca:15101"

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »
Oh right, i forgot to disable norton  ;D.  Even with it disabled i still get the same result as shown in the screenshot though.  However upon trying to manually edit the config file, i found it already exactly matches what you mentioned.

I did not, have the OP+4 installed either.  I'm currently grabbing it to download though.  After getting online(OP+4 is still downloading.....) i couldn't help noticing that there seems to be no servers up  :huh:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:27 pm »
i couldn't help noticing that there seems to be no servers up  :huh:

I just checked and there are 2.  Strays Tavern and The Forge.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:21 pm »
I must be missing files i need to get to them then.  The OP+4 is now installed.  Going after the optional custom scripts as we speak.  Any ideas what files(if any) i might be missing that i would need to see that those servers are online and connect to them?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
ditto.

Did you try refreshing the list?

The files for The Forge are linked here:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163384357.0.html

The link for the files for Strayy's Tavern is in the description in the serverlist. I can't recall it off hand.

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »
yeah i found The Forge topic shor making that post  :-[  However i feel like an idiot for not knowing what you're talking about with "the description in the servelist."

No i didn't try refreshing the list, i'll try that in a bit.  Custom scripts still downloading, i seem to have gotten a rather poor connection.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »
However i feel like an idiot for not knowing what you're talking about with "the description in the servelist."

Oh, not at all, at the dynaverse login where you enter your gamespy info and press the login button, it takes you to a list of currently running dynaverse servers. You can click each server in the list and the server description and playable races will come up. (plus a few stats - well only the date and population).

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »
okay custom scripts are now downloaded and installed.  So are the ones for The Forge.  Server list still comes up blank, even when i refresh it a couple of times.  My firewalls were disabled at the time.

I use yahoo messenger(which communicates fine with people on msn or windows live messengers) if that would make it easier to discuss this problem.  My messenger ID is in my profile if you wanted to discuss things that way.  Either way doesn't bother me really.

Offline rmcin329

• NOOB
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:53:39 am »
Okay i repatched my game and now the servers are showing up fine.  I decided i wanted to have a look at both servers, so i grabbed the files for Strayy's tavern too.

I can get into Strayy's tavern just fine but i encounter something about bad CRC files or something, when i try to get onto The Forge.  Can anyone help me sort this problem out?

EDIT

Managed to solve the problem on my own
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:09:31 pm by rmcin329 »

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 09:06:56 am »
Okay i repatched my game and now the servers are showing up fine.  I decided i wanted to have a look at both servers, so i grabbed the files for Strayy's tavern too.

I can get into Strayy's tavern just fine but i encounter something about bad CRC files or something, when i try to get onto The Forge.  Can anyone help me sort this problem out?

EDIT

Managed to solve the problem on my own

Strayys and the Forge use 2 completely different shiplist.
You will need to manually switch shiplist before you can switch servers.
They may also use different mission scripts, I'm not sure about that.
The Forge uses OP+4.0, the "standard" shiplist for GSA and D2.
Strayys is a heavily modded server.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead