Topic: The Forge - Flat Out  (Read 66186 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
The Forge - Flat Out
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »
"The Forge - Flat Out" (round two) is underway!

Downloads are in the usual locations: FireSoul's OP+ 4.0 and The Forge Scripts .

The clock starts in 2273, runs four days per game year, with 5 minute turns.

Here is the Webmap!

There is a daily database backup scheduled (so we'll never lose more than a day), and I'll run Dave's editor/cleaner as needed.

Please post comments, feedback and issues here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:42:12 pm by Bonk »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: The Forge - Flat Out
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:09:10 pm »
 :thumbsup:

If later in the week you see me making failed connection attempts it is just my trying to get SFC on Wine to play online.  :)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:05:53 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy:
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline [KBF]MuadDib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:17 pm »
YAY!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:14:03 pm »
The webmap is up. It's no OCI, but it's better than a poke in the eye.  :)

PHP has changed the function I'm using to unpack the flatfile database, it is much slower now, and this is a large map, so I had to cut the politics page, and since the server is not on the lan, I have it set to upload the database and decode it hourly. The trick is the use of the eAccelerator functions eaccelerator_put and eaccelerator_rm to manage the memory used so that the script viewed online does not actually have to decode the file, just look up the arrays stored in shared memory from the hourly decoding.

It loads faster than ever now, though updates less frequently. A good compromise.

I'm expecting a few comments on the map now. ;)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:45:08 am »
OMG...all the blood is rushing from my head! :P

:woot:

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:57 pm »
I did have a odd mission last night, but, it was the first, and only time I had that particular mission...
Was a warp patrol (no *) and after flying for a couple minutes, spotted a pirate, closed while scanning...got a message saying he was a known smuggler and then another saying he was trying to escape...fired drones, started a trac, increased speed and suddenly got mission complete and it closed, giving me PP and the DV shift... :huh:
It was just strange...is it supposed to end when I scan him or something?
Sorry, I closed the debriefing screen without thinking to look at the exact mission name there... :smackhead:

Other than that, no issues or problems with the several missions I ran yesterday.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:15:17 pm »
running well so far no problems what soever :D

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 04:42:25 pm »
I'm just a little rattled having to get used to medium speed drones again. Been a while since I had to use those old things.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:56:12 pm »
Fun so far. This map is huge!

Offline [KBF]MuadDib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 10:36:52 pm »
the maps cool...

id put HWs a little farther from the econ hexes tho...
Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:50:34 pm »
Possible problem mission:
Flying Rom, in a Neb, got a *patrol 3 times with mission briefing showing a 3v3v1 setup 3 enemy Feds would show (along with my 2 Klink allies) and about the time the 4th enemy (1 was a monster, 2x were pirates) the game froze. Waited several seconds then was able to ctrl+alt+delete and bring up the processes, showed OP as "not responding" and ended process and dropped to Desktop (is that easier on the DB than alting? I hope so that's why I did it).
Don't recall if I got that same mission the other day when I played, but out of about 8-10 missions I ran, only those had problems, and I ran other mission types in the same hex w/o issue.
And I never, ever have graphic problems...
So...I donno...
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 04:17:04 pm »
Is there a list some in another thread of rules for this server? This is my first besides Hardcore. For example, what is the policy on escaping off the battle map, reporting PvP kills, etc.?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 04:52:52 pm »
Possible problem mission:
Flying Rom, in a Neb, got a *patrol 3 times with mission briefing showing a 3v3v1 setup 3 enemy Feds would show (along with my 2 Klink allies) and about the time the 4th enemy (1 was a monster, 2x were pirates) the game froze. Waited several seconds then was able to ctrl+alt+delete and bring up the processes, showed OP as "not responding" and ended process and dropped to Desktop (is that easier on the DB than alting? I hope so that's why I did it).
Don't recall if I got that same mission the other day when I played, but out of about 8-10 missions I ran, only those had problems, and I ran other mission types in the same hex w/o issue.
And I never, ever have graphic problems...
So...I donno...

Hmm we'll have to figure out which mission script that is and pull it and pass the info on to Dave. I guess we'll have to turn mission names on for a bit.

You're better off alting, the effect is the same on the db though, orphaned mission AI will remain in the db (on the map) either way. (Try Alt-F4 on any application, it kills them all, so it is a windows thing, not unique to SFC, and I suspect does exactly the same thing as killing the task)

Is there a list some in another thread of rules for this server? This is my first besides Hardcore. For example, what is the policy on escaping off the battle map, reporting PvP kills, etc.?

Oh, sorry, I'm such a slacker when it comes to that stuff. No there is no other thread.

Rules are pretty loose:

1) Play nice.
2) No cursing in chat. (Dynaverse.net needs to be kid friendly to preserve the future of SFC.)
3) No Teamspeak eavesdropping. (by all means visit the enemy channel, but announce yourself and don't stay long)

Ummm... lemme see, the old SFC2.net rules are a good set of guidelines:

http://www.sfc2.net/rules.asp

Though some are obsolete and others do not apply, but read those and go by them in general.

I'd love to say strict SFB CnC is in effect, but I'll save that for SFB-OP. ;)

I could enable the kills page on the webmap for PvP kills, but it can be a hassle. (Dizzy put me through the wringer on that...) Besides, the version on the OCI is newer and more complete. (OCI = Online Campaign Interface - used when running on MySQL)  Note to self: use eacclerator_put to increase OCI shipyard performance!

Um disengagement rule... let me see, I hate it. So let's make a token version of it, which will placate the proponents of it, and encourage all to play.

4) Disengagement rule: 10 minutes, whether you run off or are destroyed unless the victor challenges you to try again in the same hex.

That ought to cover people running multiple 2 minute missions in droners under BBs or plasma races in mission. Following SFB CnC makes it unnecessary, but that does not allow for the full range of OP+ cheese that people like. (SFB-OP has it's own flavour of super-cheese that CnC only moderately tempers.)

That ought to cover it. Unless I forgot something major.

VCs will be strictly terrain and economy based; at the conclusion I will declare a winner. It is usually pretty obvious. (Krueg wins ;))

This is a temporary server till we get a new server built, so my apologies for the lack of creativity and somewhat haphazard design. The next run of The Forge will be more structured. (as will my own SFB-OP server)

I'll get on there to turn on mission names for diagnostics soon. (must check if Dave's current editor can edit the missionlist, as I never liked just pulling the mission script file) I'll be away this weekend, but can still check in. I'll try and get on there to turn on mission names tonight or tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:32:33 pm by Bonk »

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:39 pm »
Thanks Bonk  :).

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 04:08:00 am »
Mission names are on now, so we can identify and report/remove any wonky ones.

Offline KBF-Kurok

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
Met_ED10 PatrolEnemy crashed me two missions in a row in a neb hex seems to work in a non neb hex tho.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »
Roger.

I'll pull a mission once two separate players report the same result in duplicate.

If you draw a mission that has been established as bugged like this, and I have not pulled it yet, then please do not forfeit, rather log off and back in to get a new mission.

Thanks for understanding. I should be able to go over the mission reports by Monday (maybe sooner).

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »
Bonk.. I can confirm that Met_ED10 PatrolEnemy is indeed broken.. we had to pull it from AOTK 4.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l