Topic: The bash Star Trek XI movie thread. Pro Trek XI posters need not apply  (Read 17344 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
:police: Remember bash the movie all you want but not the other posters.  :police:

If you want to say good things about the movie do it in another thread.   ;D
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Well, it looks like Abrams has succeeded in raping Star Trek to death. :'(

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

Did you see the movie?  B&B raped TOS way worse and were not nearly as entertaining.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

Did you see the movie?  B&B raped TOS way worse and were not nearly as entertaining.

and were criticized for it very soundly for YEARS.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
One word for me.. casting.

Zachary Quintos is the best cast character, but as much as I like Simon Pegg.. I'd still have preferred to have seen McGillion from SG Atlantis in the role.

Take a look at why:

McGillion

Pegg

And finally

Pegg as Scotty

Now compare this image:

If you're looking to have someone *look* the part, plus be able to carry off the part without having to work at it, McGillion is the better choice.  I like Pegg, but he wasn't the best choice here.

Lovers of the shaky-cam will be happy with this one, but can we please get a video-stablized release for DVD?  I hated it in "Blair Witch Galactica" (enough that it made it too difficult to watch that series) and I don't like it any better now.

And *please*, next time.. give them a decent villian to fight against.  "Nero"?  The only thing that would have made the role worse would have been casting Eric Roberts in the role.

"Pimp My Ride" Enterprise.. :p

I've been watching the show longer than some here have been alive.. can I *now* say that I don't like the movie without all the Abrhams apologists jumping on me for not giving it a chance?  Have I been watching long enough to have a valid opinion?  Have I paid enough to see all the previous movies, series and restarts (I'm talking you ST:E), that my opinion is considered valid? 

Or has it all been tossed in the bin now that there's a reboot.  Er, prequel.  Er, alternate universe.  However they can validate this without invalidating all the previous stuff.  After all, I'm not the market they're looking for anymore, because established Trek watchers are a limited group.  Let's branch out to try raping the general public wallet now.

Poor story, butchers too much.  Should've gone to see Wolverine instead, Hugh Jackman at least *looks* the part, even if he is too damn tall..

Now get off my lawn!  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Wolverine was alright, storyline was all fubar to what it should be.  Hmmm a reboot of wolverine, might not want to see it either then.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Wolverine was alright, storyline was all fubar to what it should be.  Hmmm a reboot of wolverine, might not want to see it either then.

Wolverine origins butchers his origin WAY more than Star Trek did.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

I've been watching the show longer than some here have been alive.. can I *now* say that I don't like the movie without all the Abrhams apologists jumping on me for not giving it a chance?  Have I been watching long enough to have a valid opinion?  Have I paid enough to see all the previous movies, series and restarts (I'm talking you ST:E), that my opinion is considered valid? 

No, if you haven't seen the movie your opinion doesn't count.  :D

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Right, but they've already shown that they're not interested in how the origins of these shows were set up.. just in how they can make money off them now.

I was hoping Picard was going to show up and fix things in Trek, but apparently his shuttle showed up in the wrong movie.  Damned temporal/fictional coordinate screwups.. ;)

"Trek" already has a sequel in the works, maybe it'll be better.  Maybe they'll respect the original series a bit more.  Maybe it'll be okay.  After all, Hollywood respects traditions, right?

mmph.  snort.  (giggle)  MHAHAHAHAHA.. (rolls around in mirth at his own cleverness).  ;)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
A few more things which annoy me about the plot.

1. I find the destruction of Romulus to be implausible.  Stars don't go nova overnight.  It would have been noticeably unstable for centuries before going off.  I can't fathom how an interstellar empire wouldn't have an evacuation plan in place to counter such a threat to their homeworld. Also, if this is the TNG era, the Romulans are masters of black holes.  they create artificial singularities to power their ships.  Why would they need Spock's help?
2. Finally, since Nero ended up in the past, why didn't he try to prevent the catastropy, instead of going on some insane quest for revenge?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

1. I find the destruction of Romulus to be implausible.  Stars don't go nova overnight.  It would have been noticeably unstable for centuries before going off.  I can't fathom how an interstellar empire wouldn't have an evacuation plan in place to counter such a threat to their homeworld. Also, if this is the TNG era, the Romulans are masters of black holes.  they create artificial singularities to power their ships.  Why would they need Spock's help?

2. Finally, since Nero ended up in the past, why didn't he try to prevent the catastropy, instead of going on some insane quest for revenge?

I have to agree (mostly). It is possible though that the predictions for the timing of the Super Nova were off, the scientists might have thought 1,000 years and had it be 20. 

Then again unless it was their own Sun they STILL have years at least to evacuate or build a shield for their worlds. 

Of course that whole revenge thing is totally insane.  You failed in your efforts to save MY world so I'm going to destroy yours in the past?  Hello?  That is just ludricous for anyone who is sane enough to actually carry out the plan.  Now take the records back to Romulus (and your MUCH more advanced ship and records) and  you can change history to benefit your people.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

I've only seen the 1st X-Man movie so far but one thing to remember is that the Super Hero movies are moving comic books to the big screen.  Totally different limits there. 

Of course they totally rewrote things in unneeded ways.  Logan's wife was supposed to have been killed by Sabretooth about a century ago.  He was supposed to have lost his memory as a side effect of giving him the adamantite skeleton and spent quite some time on a Canadian super hero team.  I guess it isn't too surprising that Hollywood was not interested in a team of Canadian super heros saving the world?  Just doesn't cater to the U.S. market enough. 

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
You know what ?

I haven't seen the movie, and the I've seen trailers, thought I'd hate it because I can't STAND timeline BS.

Quantum paradox regarding timeline deformation decreases as the linear time increase in the travel, forward or back.

So any time travel / change the past stuff is never going to work.

AND I was watching the trailer going "WTF... they're building a starship PLANETSIDE? That's .. that's retarded!"

And then I saw the phaser banks as they are SUPPOSE to be .. two small omni-directional turrets originally which then evolved into the dual mounted nub mounts.

So I'm like... "great attention to starship detail here... but terrestrial building of a Starship???" How is this? I mean, how can you expect these things to work correctly if you don't pay attention...

And then I thought ... But hey! Neither does warp drive or transporters.

*shrugs*

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net

I've only seen the 1st X-Man movie so far but one thing to remember is that the Super Hero movies are moving comic books to the big screen.  Totally different limits there. 

Of course they totally rewrote things in unneeded ways.  Logan's wife was supposed to have been killed by Sabretooth about a century ago.  He was supposed to have lost his memory as a side effect of giving him the adamantite skeleton and spent quite some time on a Canadian super hero team.  I guess it isn't too surprising that Hollywood was not interested in a team of Canadian super heros saving the world?  Just doesn't cater to the U.S. market enough.

C'mon, don't pull the "US Market" card. They've redone Logan's background three times in his incarnation, changing things all the time.

Did you even READ the Barry Windsor-Smith graphic novel when he got his skeleton, claws and the likes?

No bone claws there, my friend.

This happens, it's a part of -life-, this thing called change. What I had with the original TOS , no one can EVER take away. Just as what I had when I read the Byrne / Clairmont days of XMen no one can take away.

But as life progresses, either we progress with it, or we, too, become immoving and unbending. Just like everything else that tries to resist time.

"Time is the fire in which we all burn, some .. more brightly than others."

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
One word for me.. casting....
<sic>

Good points Atheor! I have to admit I do see your point in the likeness.

Now get off my lawn!  ;)

Wooooord. ;)

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

yes, you are right.   it should have been some kind of technobable "Subspace fissure" or something equally retarded.   I let this go as we're watching a movie about warp drive and pointy-eared aliens.

Because he's a Romulan, it's what they do.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
C'mon, don't pull the "US Market" card. They've redone Logan's background three times in his incarnation, changing things all the time.

From what I have seen in the comics they filled in gaps caused by his "amnesia" which is different from the wholesale changes the movie makes.  Where is the original man who made him?  Where is Alpha Flight? 

How about Guardian or Vindicator (same combat suit)?  There is a character using Vindicators real name  (but not the battlesuit) but she is there apparently just to be killed and is decades older than she should be.   Imagine that the character who should be wearing a battlesuit with a Canadian Flag theme is instead a powerless old lady who gets killed rather than a hero in her own right.

They gutted the characters background for no good reason. 

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander

Because he's a Romulan, it's what they do.

I thought they lamented the fact that in another reality, they might have called you friend.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
No, no.  We only lament your other dimensional friendship after we've killed you.  Until then... ;)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
I thought they lamented the fact that in another reality, they might have called you friend.

That's the military. I guess the Romulan Miner's guilds are comprised of 'particularly troubled romulans'

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Wow, there's a thought..

R-emo-ulans.

"When I think of Romulus, I cut myself."  Wow.  Just wow.  I really didn't want to go there..

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Not enough bashing in this thread so here goes:

1.  How does a supernova threaten the galaxy?  Bad science and/or poor explanation as to why in this case it should.

2.  Black holes are not gateways to the past.  While there are such theoretical postulates as Einstein-Rosen bridges or more commonly wormholes, there is no particularly reason to believe passing through the event horizon of the singularities in this movie would do anything but crush the hell out of anything that found its way into it. Frankly, I think the authors were afraid to get too technobabbly and offer something up more like a spatial-temporal rift as found in "Yesterday's Enterprise".

3.  If one drop of the red matter created such a powerful singularity, what the hell happens when a giant ball of the stuff does what it does?  Shouldn't there have been some insane super-giant black hole created right smack dab in the middle of our own solar system???  Way to go, guys, you just screwed the whole Federation.  Plot hole you could drive a truck through.

4.  The red matter is frigging JJ Abrams' frigging floating red ball thing that was seen in Alias in another form.  Recycled much?  And what the hell kind of name is red matter?  Are we too stupid to have it called super-duper graviton particles or some such??  Again, avoiding the technobabble.

5.  Why the hell did they have to destroy Romulus and pretty much the whole Romulan empire?  Isn't this pretty much the same crap they pulled in Star Trek VI with the destruction of Praxis essentially spelling the end of the Klingon Empire?  Doesn't anything bad ever happen the Federation?  Biased much??

6.  Why does the inside of the Enterprise look like a factory and not a space ship???  Because it is a frigging factory!!!!  That's the set they used for interior shots of engineering levels!!!!  You'd think with all the money spent that they could have at least gave us some sets that looks like they are the interior of a faster than light ship.

7.  Why does the bridge look so much damn different than every other part of the ship that we see?  You've got this crazy bubble-gum machine, IPod bridge and the rest of the ship looks like an industrial park??!!  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

8.  What is up with that Romulan ship??  It looks like some black frozen space squid corpse!!  When I see a Romulan ship, it better look like a frigging bird!!  It can look like an insane bad-ass bird, but it needs to look like a bird, not a spiky space turd.

9.  What's up with that frigging Romulan ship??  Yes, I design all my mining ships with vast empty dark spaces and randomly placed platforms that are conveniently easy to jump to in some movie climactic fight!!!  Most ridiculous ship interior ever.  Again, so much money spent on this film, where are the amazing sets for all that dough??

10.  What is up with that Romulan ship??  Yes, I like to have open pools of standing water covering the deck around all sorts of electrical equipment, and I like to stand in them while interrogating prisoners in my prison interrogation chair that I have on my mining ship.  Save the drama for your mama. Do something, show something that makes sense.  Silly, silly overdramatic nonsense.

11. Apparently, the only mathematical training the Vulcan children receive revolves around the area, volume and/or the circumference of a circle/sphere.  Do they really think we are that dumb or are they trying to make us feel smart or something by placing these recognizable equations in those scenes?  Is that the extent of the writers' mathematical knowledge??  Geometry/Trig???  Weak sauce.

12. Could Zachary Quinto looked more uncomfortable kissing a woman?  When Spock kissed a chick in TOS, she got kissed.  That was some weak, weak romance in those scenes.  Zoe Saldana was good in those scenes but my god was Quinto seemingly out of his depth.  I didn't mind the relationship but its execution in the movie was poor.

13. Could Kirk's troubled bad-boy to superhero transition be more cliched?  Is this Top Gun/Good Will Hunting?

14. Why, oh why, is there a finale scene at the beginning of this movie?  The first 5 to 10 minutes of this movie are practically the best scenes in the movie.  The Kelvin, George Kirk's sacrifice, etc.  Frankly, I spent all my emotional energy in those beginning moments of the film.  After that, it was pretty much just the roller coaster ride.  A weird choice that left me with very little energy to actually care about any of the characters.

That's all I got for now.  More to come later.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FPF-AJTK

• You make it to the second commercial if your a
  • Lt.
  • Founding Member of the BLUE PLAGUE
The movie was very good, IF you have never heard of Star Trek.

As for the new ship model, "Akira-prize" anyone?
RE-VER-SE: To move backwards, retrograde; movement that is not forward in nature.

[img]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/wanderer/_uimages/AJTK.jpg

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
Well, since I finally saw a bootleg of SR, I can give this abomination the bashing it deserves

1. The Kelvin which is supposed to be a cannon ship doesn't quite fit into cannon.  The crew is too large, and the crew are already wearing the Enterprise delta.
2. I didn't enjoy the toilet humor in the bar
3. Starfleet Academy must not be very selective.  From the conversation between him and Pike, I gather that Kirk had run ins with the law, but he not only gets into the academy, he does so within a short amount of time
4. They built a ship with a &*()&ing propeller
5. That whole thing with the computer not understanding Chekov was just stupid
6. Why didn't they bring any phasers with them when they dove onto the drill platform?
7. Once more, why do the Romulans need Spock's help.  They use $#%%ing artificial black holes to power their ships
8. Why was everyone just standing there while Spock went medieval on Kirk
9. Spock maroon's Kirk in a blizzard on a planet with giant predators, and doesn't even leave him a hand phaser
10. Why is Kirk constantly addressing Spock as "Spock" and not sir when Spock outranks him, and they are not friends?
11. What was up with Scotty's midget sidekick
12. Why does the Enterprise have water turbines?
13. Pike seemed a little too interested in Kirk
14. Considering the fact that Vulcans have had a spaceborne society for centuries, how come getting their homeworld destroyed left them with a population of under 10,000.
15. McCoy's bringing Kirk on to the ship was even more of a juvenile prank than I thought it would be.
16. Simon Pegg ruined my favorite TOS character

Seriously, this film was worse than Nemesis.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Seriously, this film was worse than Nemesis.

I resent that.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
7. Once more, why do the Romulans need Spock's help.  They use $#%%ing artificial black holes to power their ships
The Vulcans had the red matter, the romulans did not.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander

But why would the Romulans need Vulcan red matter to do something that they have already been capable of doing for decades.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
Because the people writing the story needed them to?

Here's a thought (if they didn't have forehead ridges, I guess there's always cosmetic surgery) Romulans could have infiltrated the Vulcan science directorate and been smuggling red matter off planet for some time.  Then the supply ran dry so they had to exist off of current stock and by the time of the movie they didn't have any? lol.  I still haven't seen the movie, but after quizzing my Aunt who liked it (but was clueless as to so many aspects of Trek, despite watching TOS) she started asking "Yeah, hmmm, I don't know how that worked" and "Wow... yeah, that really didn't make sense...". lol.  Movie good, ships go boom!

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet

But why would the Romulans need Vulcan red matter to do something that they have already been capable of doing for decades.
I could speculate a few reasons.
1 possible is the methods the romulans use is too inefficient for larger scale black hole creations, which you'd need here

another is a recent war(not yet mentioned) left them decimated resource wise, and they were unable to deal with it at the time. Similar to the destruction of the klingon mining colony Praxis in ST6 that would leave the klingon empire nearly crippled in dealing with any emergency situation.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Like all the plot holes mentioned above (and others not), the most common answer is just sadly' "because the writers needed them to."

To add to the list, there's the magical/stupid transporter. It can be used to beam onto a target TRILLIONS of miles away travelling MILLIONS+ miles per second, but if a woman falls at a crucial point DURING transport, she's toast. (Just moments earlier it was used to grab "Kirk" and Sulu whiule they were falling at 100+ mph with no problem)

I don't know which is sadder - the fact that it's a "dumb" ST film, or the fact it's going to be the biggest hit ST movie. I feel like it's ST4 all over again - that it's NOT what ST was (or can be) but yet the masses are loving it. I haven't watched ST4 again in almost 23 years, I don't own a copy on VHS or DVD and I never will, andI 'll most likely never want to own ST 11 either.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:06:09 pm by TAnimaL »

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
Not only is the Enterprise now built on land in an effort to take away elements which distinguished Star Trek from lowbrow scifi, but instead of being built in San Francisco, a city which was chosen for its strong naval tradition, it is now built in Iowa.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
That's because in this timeline, San Francisco was never able to recover from it's overspending on social programs and sank into a massive ghetto where all the deadbeat aliens live in shanty towns made of scraps that the Federation casts off, because it's humane to let them have the scrap metal that they build their shanty towns out of.  They like it. All manufacturing/commercial business (which doesn't exist in Trek because they've grown beyond that, and all those dilithium miners just do it because they like to dig) had moved inland to the 'heartland'. ;)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
DEATH TO JJ ABRAMS!!!!!!

I doubt that San Francisco would be a slum in the 23rd century, in the real Trek timeline or JJ's afterbirth of a movie.  By Kirk's time, Earth is a paradise.  No disease, no poverty.  It was the capital of the Federation after all.  Hell, even in Archer's time San Fran is clean.  But I digress into a topic that's been heavily debated over the years.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: The bash Star Trek XI movie thread. Pro Trek XI posters need not apply
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 03:26:46 pm »
kirk banged a green broad.   That alone is worth 3 stars.

Trek was the best movie of the summer by far.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 04:40:40 pm »
Ok, I haven't seen Trek yet, but I tought District 9 was pretty darn good.  Better than any other movie I saw this at the theatre this year.  Best movie of the summer? 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:26 pm »

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

He was about to but Uhura walked in... ::)
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 12:44:03 am »

HA HA HA HA :laugh: Rape? more like an OBAMA-nation of it ? :huh:
Time for life!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 08:46:49 am »
Ok, I haven't seen Trek yet, but I tought District 9 was pretty darn good.  Better than any other movie I saw this at the theatre this year.  Best movie of the summer?

It had a couple of plot holes, but it was very good. I can see the sequel now:

Distwict 10 - The Rewenge of Wikus!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »
*finishes wiping butt on the last copy of the Trek 11 scripts*

I remember when Jason Alexander was roasting Shatner.  He made a comment about ST5, or as he called it, "Star Trek 5: The Death Of A Franchise".

However, I can see it now.  Star Trek 12: The Idiots Have Invaded Trek.

If they make a Trek 12, which I'm sure they are, I hope Q pops in, says how much he misses Picard, snaps his fingers, and wipes the Abrams Bastard Universe from existence, restoring the original timeline, and pestering Picard again, holding it over his head that he saved Picard again.

Oh well.

*tracks down the writers and model designers of the movie and tries to show them pictures of Joan Rivers and Andy Dick mating*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 11:29:37 am »
I saw this opening day, and a few things stand out to me.

1. Kelvin, I would belive the alternate timeline story if not for Kelvin. Please someone explain how that bridge fits between the NX-01 and the NCC-1701? At least with Enterprise they tried to make it look older tech wise than TOS, but for Kelvin Abrams threw cannon out the window. IT looks like a kitbash between Star Trek VI's bridge and the Reletivity honestly.

2. Nero's went back and time and altered the tmeline. Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but shouldn't someone have said hey wait a minute. You would think reletivity would intervene, or at least a timeship in generals to prevent this drastic change.]

3. The Technology, how did there technology jump 100 years ahead of its time, are we to belive that just becase on star ship was destroyed by an unknown vessel (happens alot in classic trek) that star fleet somehow made there tech look like it would normally by the time the Enterprise D launched.

4. Why did they use the shuttle to get to the ships? Its an emergency, and star fleet has transporters, star ships have transporters, wouldnt it be easier and faster to just beam the crew to the ship?

5. Kirk goes from cadet to captain from one mission. This is totally unbelivable

6. How the hell is Checkov on the ship, he would still be in Elemtry school in the late 2250's remember in 2267 he was a raw engisn freash from the acadamey.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:00 pm »

1. Kelvin, I would belive the alternate timeline story if not for Kelvin. Please someone explain how that bridge fits between the NX-01 and the NCC-1701? At least with Enterprise they tried to make it look older tech wise than TOS, but for Kelvin Abrams threw cannon out the window. IT looks like a kitbash between Star Trek VI's bridge and the Reletivity honestly.

2. Nero's went back and time and altered the tmeline. Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but shouldn't someone have said hey wait a minute. You would think reletivity would intervene, or at least a timeship in generals to prevent this drastic change.]

3. The Technology, how did there technology jump 100 years ahead of its time, are we to belive that just becase on star ship was destroyed by an unknown vessel (happens alot in classic trek) that star fleet somehow made there tech look like it would normally by the time the Enterprise D launched.

4. Why did they use the shuttle to get to the ships? Its an emergency, and star fleet has transporters, star ships have transporters, wouldnt it be easier and faster to just beam the crew to the ship?

5. Kirk goes from cadet to captain from one mission. This is totally unbelivable

6. How the hell is Checkov on the ship, he would still be in Elemtry school in the late 2250's remember in 2267 he was a raw engisn freash from the acadamey.

1. I agree, at first glance the Kelvin looks like it fits into canon, but once you see the inside, you realize it doesn't.
2.You would think
3. Supposedly, the Kelvin took high res scans of the Narada which resulted in Starfleet reverse engineering some of its 24th century technology and incorporating it into its ships.  That's why the Enterprise is entering service over ten years later than it did in canon.  I personally don't find that explanation believable, but when do things have to make sense in TROST's universe?
4. Once more, TROST doesn't care if things make sense
5. As someone who hate's this film, and its universe, I have to concede that we've beaten that horse to death here
6. Apparently Chekov is some sort of math prodigy.  Also keep in mind that Starfleet isn't very selective in this timeline.  They accept Kirk despite the fact that he has a criminal record.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2009, 02:30:13 pm »

1. I agree, at first glance the Kelvin looks like it fits into canon, but once you see the inside, you realize it doesn't.
2.You would think
3. Supposedly, the Kelvin took high res scans of the Narada which resulted in Starfleet reverse engineering some of its 24th century technology and incorporating it into its ships.  That's why the Enterprise is entering service over ten years later than it did in canon.  I personally don't find that explanation believable, but when do things have to make sense in TROST's universe?
4. Once more, TROST doesn't care if things make sense
5. As someone who hate's this film, and its universe, I have to concede that we've beaten that horse to death here
6. Apparently Chekov is some sort of math prodigy.  Also keep in mind that Starfleet isn't very selective in this timeline.  They accept Kirk despite the fact that he has a criminal record.

4.  for safety you would have people transfer from a hostile ship to yours by shuttle craft so you don't have to drop your shields.  Even with the ships are unbalanced, a good salvo through a down shield could make a difference.  Also as a mining ship, they didn't seem to have a large crew.  So dropping your shields to have the enemy transport over, they could transport a large attack force in and outnumber them in HTH.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 02:35:10 pm »

4.  for safety you would have people transfer from a hostile ship to yours by shuttle craft so you don't have to drop your shields.  Even with the ships are unbalanced, a good salvo through a down shield could make a difference.  Also as a mining ship, they didn't seem to have a large crew.  So dropping your shields to have the enemy transport over, they could transport a large attack force in and outnumber them in HTH.

I think he was referring to that dramatic scene at the beginning where all of the cadets were transported to their assigned ships via shuttle craft.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 03:35:43 pm »

I think he was referring to that dramatic scene at the beginning where all of the cadets were transported to their assigned ships via shuttle craft.

Possible, but when ships are shut down, shuttles would be used.  Then all the shuttles are on the ground and need to be taken back up for when the ship is readied to go.

But I have relooked at the thread this is under and forgot I am not to post here.  So enjoy the thread guys.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »
yes im refering to when all the cadets go aboard. Also the crew is 400 people, we only saw the officers aka cadets go aboard her, so there was a crew, she was being readied for the situation. Remember Star Trek V when an emergency occured they beamed all staff except kirk up because he didnt take his communicator so they couldnt locate him. Imeediate threat emergency, in TMP they used the shuttle cause there was a problem with the transporters, clearly said in dialouge. At least they explained why they needed the dramatic shuttle scene.

As for Chekov he was about 20 in 2267, so he is what 10 or 11 when this movie takes place? He doesnt look 10 or 11 to me.

And scans of the narda, doesnt mean crap, we have scans of the borg, but we have yet to be able to replicate there technology.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »
yes im refering to when all the cadets go aboard. Also the crew is 400 people, we only saw the officers aka cadets go aboard her, so there was a crew, she was being readied for the situation. Remember Star Trek V when an emergency occured they beamed all staff except kirk up because he didnt take his communicator so they couldnt locate him. Imeediate threat emergency, in TMP they used the shuttle cause there was a problem with the transporters, clearly said in dialouge. At least they explained why they needed the dramatic shuttle scene.

As for Chekov he was about 20 in 2267, so he is what 10 or 11 when this movie takes place? He doesnt look 10 or 11 to me.

And scans of the narda, doesnt mean crap, we have scans of the borg, but we have yet to be able to replicate there technology.

Actually, they sent the shuttle in STV because the transporters weren't working.  The thing about Kirk not bringing the communicator came up because the shuttle arrived in the middle of the night when they were trying to sleep.  Sending all of the cadets over by shuttle is ludicrous however.  As for Chekov, I don't think they ever stated his age in canon, so he could be a few years older, although still younger than he appeared in this film.  His presence is an indication of TROST's desire to have the entire crew on the ship whether their presence makes sense or not.  As for the scans of the Narada, I said it was a stupid bs explanation, but it was the one that the writers gave in interviews.  Remember this PoS is NOT Star Trek.  It is a pathetic low brow scifi film that mocks everything that Star Trek was.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2009, 11:16:25 pm »
heh, you'd have thought the least they could do was have a young boy watching the shuttles launch and saying "Wow, I'm going to be there some day" followed by some older, fatherly gentleman shouting "Chekov, come along!" lol.  There, he's included in the story, age appropriate and everyone still gets a little wink and a smile because they know he will be there.

Perhaps this is like the original Casino Royale.  Is it a Bond film?  yes, technically it is.  but is it really? :D

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »
heh, you'd have thought the least they could do was have a young boy watching the shuttles launch and saying "Wow, I'm going to be there some day" followed by some older, fatherly gentleman shouting "Chekov, come along!" lol.  There, he's included in the story, age appropriate and everyone still gets a little wink and a smile because they know he will be there.

Perhaps this is like the original Casino Royale.  Is it a Bond film?  yes, technically it is.  but is it really? :D

Casino Royale was at least enjoyable, I wouldn't have liked Star Trek XI had it been called another name either. The plot makes no sense, the ship design looks like they talked to George Lucas's art director for the prequels and the sets look like they updated the NESA protector

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 10:26:45 pm »

Breaking the ban here since I liked the movie...BUT...maybe after the incident with the Rogue Time Traveling Romulans who spent years in a Klingon Prison because they were too stupid to be able to destroy a fleet of Klingons (like they did later) the first time they met, some people got busy and Chekov came just a wee bit sooner then he did in the other timeline...
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:18 pm »
In the movie Chekov mentions he is 17 to Kirk and company.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 11:42:13 pm »
Whenever I think of the Bastardprise, I'm reminded of an episode of Family Guy where one of the characters had a massive underbite so bad that his jaw could be used as a bird bath.