Topic: The bash Star Trek XI movie thread. Pro Trek XI posters need not apply  (Read 17348 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
:police: Remember bash the movie all you want but not the other posters.  :police:

If you want to say good things about the movie do it in another thread.   ;D
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Well, it looks like Abrams has succeeded in raping Star Trek to death. :'(

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

Did you see the movie?  B&B raped TOS way worse and were not nearly as entertaining.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

Did you see the movie?  B&B raped TOS way worse and were not nearly as entertaining.

and were criticized for it very soundly for YEARS.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
One word for me.. casting.

Zachary Quintos is the best cast character, but as much as I like Simon Pegg.. I'd still have preferred to have seen McGillion from SG Atlantis in the role.

Take a look at why:

McGillion

Pegg

And finally

Pegg as Scotty

Now compare this image:

If you're looking to have someone *look* the part, plus be able to carry off the part without having to work at it, McGillion is the better choice.  I like Pegg, but he wasn't the best choice here.

Lovers of the shaky-cam will be happy with this one, but can we please get a video-stablized release for DVD?  I hated it in "Blair Witch Galactica" (enough that it made it too difficult to watch that series) and I don't like it any better now.

And *please*, next time.. give them a decent villian to fight against.  "Nero"?  The only thing that would have made the role worse would have been casting Eric Roberts in the role.

"Pimp My Ride" Enterprise.. :p

I've been watching the show longer than some here have been alive.. can I *now* say that I don't like the movie without all the Abrhams apologists jumping on me for not giving it a chance?  Have I been watching long enough to have a valid opinion?  Have I paid enough to see all the previous movies, series and restarts (I'm talking you ST:E), that my opinion is considered valid? 

Or has it all been tossed in the bin now that there's a reboot.  Er, prequel.  Er, alternate universe.  However they can validate this without invalidating all the previous stuff.  After all, I'm not the market they're looking for anymore, because established Trek watchers are a limited group.  Let's branch out to try raping the general public wallet now.

Poor story, butchers too much.  Should've gone to see Wolverine instead, Hugh Jackman at least *looks* the part, even if he is too damn tall..

Now get off my lawn!  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Wolverine was alright, storyline was all fubar to what it should be.  Hmmm a reboot of wolverine, might not want to see it either then.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Wolverine was alright, storyline was all fubar to what it should be.  Hmmm a reboot of wolverine, might not want to see it either then.

Wolverine origins butchers his origin WAY more than Star Trek did.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

I've been watching the show longer than some here have been alive.. can I *now* say that I don't like the movie without all the Abrhams apologists jumping on me for not giving it a chance?  Have I been watching long enough to have a valid opinion?  Have I paid enough to see all the previous movies, series and restarts (I'm talking you ST:E), that my opinion is considered valid? 

No, if you haven't seen the movie your opinion doesn't count.  :D

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
Right, but they've already shown that they're not interested in how the origins of these shows were set up.. just in how they can make money off them now.

I was hoping Picard was going to show up and fix things in Trek, but apparently his shuttle showed up in the wrong movie.  Damned temporal/fictional coordinate screwups.. ;)

"Trek" already has a sequel in the works, maybe it'll be better.  Maybe they'll respect the original series a bit more.  Maybe it'll be okay.  After all, Hollywood respects traditions, right?

mmph.  snort.  (giggle)  MHAHAHAHAHA.. (rolls around in mirth at his own cleverness).  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
A few more things which annoy me about the plot.

1. I find the destruction of Romulus to be implausible.  Stars don't go nova overnight.  It would have been noticeably unstable for centuries before going off.  I can't fathom how an interstellar empire wouldn't have an evacuation plan in place to counter such a threat to their homeworld. Also, if this is the TNG era, the Romulans are masters of black holes.  they create artificial singularities to power their ships.  Why would they need Spock's help?
2. Finally, since Nero ended up in the past, why didn't he try to prevent the catastropy, instead of going on some insane quest for revenge?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

1. I find the destruction of Romulus to be implausible.  Stars don't go nova overnight.  It would have been noticeably unstable for centuries before going off.  I can't fathom how an interstellar empire wouldn't have an evacuation plan in place to counter such a threat to their homeworld. Also, if this is the TNG era, the Romulans are masters of black holes.  they create artificial singularities to power their ships.  Why would they need Spock's help?

2. Finally, since Nero ended up in the past, why didn't he try to prevent the catastropy, instead of going on some insane quest for revenge?

I have to agree (mostly). It is possible though that the predictions for the timing of the Super Nova were off, the scientists might have thought 1,000 years and had it be 20. 

Then again unless it was their own Sun they STILL have years at least to evacuate or build a shield for their worlds. 

Of course that whole revenge thing is totally insane.  You failed in your efforts to save MY world so I'm going to destroy yours in the past?  Hello?  That is just ludricous for anyone who is sane enough to actually carry out the plan.  Now take the records back to Romulus (and your MUCH more advanced ship and records) and  you can change history to benefit your people.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

I've only seen the 1st X-Man movie so far but one thing to remember is that the Super Hero movies are moving comic books to the big screen.  Totally different limits there. 

Of course they totally rewrote things in unneeded ways.  Logan's wife was supposed to have been killed by Sabretooth about a century ago.  He was supposed to have lost his memory as a side effect of giving him the adamantite skeleton and spent quite some time on a Canadian super hero team.  I guess it isn't too surprising that Hollywood was not interested in a team of Canadian super heros saving the world?  Just doesn't cater to the U.S. market enough. 

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
You know what ?

I haven't seen the movie, and the I've seen trailers, thought I'd hate it because I can't STAND timeline BS.

Quantum paradox regarding timeline deformation decreases as the linear time increase in the travel, forward or back.

So any time travel / change the past stuff is never going to work.

AND I was watching the trailer going "WTF... they're building a starship PLANETSIDE? That's .. that's retarded!"

And then I saw the phaser banks as they are SUPPOSE to be .. two small omni-directional turrets originally which then evolved into the dual mounted nub mounts.

So I'm like... "great attention to starship detail here... but terrestrial building of a Starship???" How is this? I mean, how can you expect these things to work correctly if you don't pay attention...

And then I thought ... But hey! Neither does warp drive or transporters.

*shrugs*

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net

I've only seen the 1st X-Man movie so far but one thing to remember is that the Super Hero movies are moving comic books to the big screen.  Totally different limits there. 

Of course they totally rewrote things in unneeded ways.  Logan's wife was supposed to have been killed by Sabretooth about a century ago.  He was supposed to have lost his memory as a side effect of giving him the adamantite skeleton and spent quite some time on a Canadian super hero team.  I guess it isn't too surprising that Hollywood was not interested in a team of Canadian super heros saving the world?  Just doesn't cater to the U.S. market enough.

C'mon, don't pull the "US Market" card. They've redone Logan's background three times in his incarnation, changing things all the time.

Did you even READ the Barry Windsor-Smith graphic novel when he got his skeleton, claws and the likes?

No bone claws there, my friend.

This happens, it's a part of -life-, this thing called change. What I had with the original TOS , no one can EVER take away. Just as what I had when I read the Byrne / Clairmont days of XMen no one can take away.

But as life progresses, either we progress with it, or we, too, become immoving and unbending. Just like everything else that tries to resist time.

"Time is the fire in which we all burn, some .. more brightly than others."

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
One word for me.. casting....
<sic>

Good points Atheor! I have to admit I do see your point in the likeness.

Now get off my lawn!  ;)

Wooooord. ;)

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain

yes, you are right.   it should have been some kind of technobable "Subspace fissure" or something equally retarded.   I let this go as we're watching a movie about warp drive and pointy-eared aliens.

Because he's a Romulan, it's what they do.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
C'mon, don't pull the "US Market" card. They've redone Logan's background three times in his incarnation, changing things all the time.

From what I have seen in the comics they filled in gaps caused by his "amnesia" which is different from the wholesale changes the movie makes.  Where is the original man who made him?  Where is Alpha Flight? 

How about Guardian or Vindicator (same combat suit)?  There is a character using Vindicators real name  (but not the battlesuit) but she is there apparently just to be killed and is decades older than she should be.   Imagine that the character who should be wearing a battlesuit with a Canadian Flag theme is instead a powerless old lady who gets killed rather than a hero in her own right.

They gutted the characters background for no good reason. 

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander

Because he's a Romulan, it's what they do.

I thought they lamented the fact that in another reality, they might have called you friend.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
No, no.  We only lament your other dimensional friendship after we've killed you.  Until then... ;)

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
I thought they lamented the fact that in another reality, they might have called you friend.

That's the military. I guess the Romulan Miner's guilds are comprised of 'particularly troubled romulans'