Topic: X Ships Project....  (Read 22028 times)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
X Ships Project....
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »
Most of you hopefully are aware of GAFY corrupting me and getting me to seriously consider making a new set of X ships.  If not, look at the last couple pages of the IN NEED OF GAFY TEXTURES thread.

Anyway, this is what I've been working on. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Re: X Ships Project....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:14:23 pm »
Nice. The stock OP X-ships weren't too bad but it looks like this will blow those out of the water.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »
Most of you hopefully are aware of GAFY corrupting me and getting me to seriously consider making a new set of X ships.  If not, look at the last couple pages of the IN NEED OF GAFY TEXTURES thread.

Wouldn't it be better if the saucer was turned around.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:46 pm »

the X ships have their impulse hosuing protrude from the back. The bite in the front is where the torpedo tubes are.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:43 am »
Right now I'm trying to get viable general shapes for the ship.  Details such as the bridge, phasers, impulse engines, etc., will come later.

I just hope that these models turn out half way decent.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:51 am »
looks like you've got a great start to them .  Keep up the great work  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:05 am »
I made a neck.  I decided to go more Excelsior in appearance when it comes to the neck, but I also wanted to give it my own touch, so it's got rounded edges, and as it comes down towards the engineering hull, it tapers down a bit.  It's also got a slight curve in the spine of the neck.  What do you guys think?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:20:59 am »
I like the views looking up at the neck from the quarter side.  But I don't like the back and looking downwards at it.

Maybe if you also rounded it into the Engineering hull it would look smoother.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:38 am »
What do you mean rounded into the engineering hull? 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:51:49 am »
The ship with pylons and torpedo pod.  I had created the torpedo pod and pylons some time ago when I was trying to build another ship.  In fact I'm gonna redo some things on that ship's components cause I've improved slightly.

Since the pylons were already created, I just fixed a few things and gave it a little detail here and there.  The only thing that really needs to be finished on the pylons and torpedo pod is the torpedo launchers themselves.  That'll come later.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:32 am »
Looks good so far, I'm just not a fan of the cut in sensor on the front of the saucer. But what are you making this in Gmax or regular max or lightwave or milkshape. And how many polies so far

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:12 am »
F_W's right.  If you look at the old P81 X ships, that cut in was the area for additional forward firing torpedoes.  I haven't added the launchers yet.  Since this is gonna be an X era TMP ship, she's gonna have a sensor dome in the traditional area, bottom of the saucer.

The ship is being made in MAX 9 right now.  I haven't checked the poly count yet, cause I'm lucky if I'm at 50% completion.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26:48 am »

It looks like it has a hard edge where it comes into the lower hull on the sides.  Was thinking if it would do a slight rounding to blend into the lower hull instead of coming in with a square edge would have more fluid/organic lines

But then remember this thought is coming from someone who can't model a ball. ;)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:43:00 am »

It looks like it has a hard edge where it comes into the lower hull on the sides.  Was thinking if it would do a slight rounding to blend into the lower hull instead of coming in with a square edge would have more fluid/organic lines

But then remember this thought is coming from someone who can't model a ball. ;)

I think I might know what you're talking about.  It's the very back edge of the neck, the flat edge.  Making it look as if it's grown out from the engineering hull?  If that's the case, don't think there's much I can do to fix it.  I made the neck as a separate object, so that's probably what was causing that affect.  I could always remake the neck, which I guess wouldn't be a bad thing.  In fact, a part of me was thinking I should after I finished it off.  However, there's no guarantee that I could make it look like it flows into the engineering hull.  I think the ship is too low poly for that affect.

However, I could be wrong.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:44:04 pm »
I've started work on the main impulse engines and bridge area.  Just a general shape right now mind you.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

the X ships have their impulse hosuing protrude from the back. The bite in the front is where the torpedo tubes are.

The reason I say that is because it would better to have fire from the secondary hull.It also has slight look of the Excelsior class.I would look better to have smooth front on saucer.

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »
There isn't a lot of design leeway with this ship as he is basically making a higher detail version of the stock X-Ships. Making major changes to the design would take away from the point of the project.

The stock ships have a number of anomalies that don't make a lot of sense or even look good in some cases, but a lot of that is also what makes the ships recognizable.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:13:47 am »

The reason I say that is because it would better to have fire from the secondary hull.It also has slight look of the Excelsior class.I would look better to have smooth front on saucer.

I've had to take a few liberties since some aspects of the old P81 ships are extremely difficult to duplicate.  Also, sometimes they don't look right, so I've had to make a few things a bit more Excelsior-ish.  However, the overall design is fairly much like the Excelsior, but that doesn't mean it has to be nearly identical to the Excelsior.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:00 am »
I wasn't too happy with some of the results with the impulse and bridge section of the ship, so I redid it.  I'm much happier with this.  I also gave this one a bit more detail at this stage, but I won't do much more until I can figure out how I want to tackle the impulse engine shape and the bridge module itself.

Side note, those depressions in the aft end are not the impulse engines.  They're shuttlebays.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 10:38:44 am »
Did some basic impulse engines.  Hope people are liking the project.  I'm gonna finish off this section of the ship when it comes to details.  So that means I have to make the bridge and impulse dome/s.  Also, I have an idea for a new look for the dome.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 11:00:27 am »
Looks good so far. If your doing this in max 9 how are you going to convert it to mod format, as i've rebuilt my connie 4 times sofar and still have shadowing issues with the mesh. Im thinking maybe if I export it out of gmax befor I convert it,that might solve the shadow problems.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:44 am »
Ive got MAX 5, so I'm gonna export the model to 3DS and then if I can find a mapper, I'll send it off to get mapped.  I can't map, and I have tried, but without someone there to kinda show you how to map, it's practically impossible.

I tried Joker's old vid tut, but could never map.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:01:42 am »
Ive got MAX 5, so I'm gonna export the model to 3DS and then if I can find a mapper, I'll send it off to get mapped.  I can't map, and I have tried, but without someone there to kinda show you how to map, it's practically impossible.

I tried Joker's old vid tut, but could never map.
Its not as hard as you think, try this its one way of many Step 1, find editable mesh select the area you want to map ie top saucer in this case. Select all those polys they should turn red in all max versions after 4.2,in the roll out pannel to the right find detach , detach them the popup should say object1 then click on modyfiers/ UV coordniates/Uvwmap that will give you the option to select plainer,cylynder,sphere,and others ,select plainer  the x y z coordniates is the one you need to mess with to apply the map. Step2 the globe with the texture i use gmax now so my memory of max 4 and 5 are old but i remember them as matierial editors? select a sphere/globe and click on new,under blinn basic parameters/ diffuse/ bitmap , find your texture and select. Click apply it should apply the map click the 3d checkerd box it should show you the applyed texture in the viewport.  Max users if i missed a step please update it  ;)
Time for life!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:55 am »
Looks good so far. If your doing this in max 9 how are you going to convert it to mod format, as i've rebuilt my connie 4 times sofar and still have shadowing issues with the mesh. Im thinking maybe if I export it out of gmax befor I convert it,that might solve the shadow problems.
Max 9 is not much better than gmax useing the meshsmooth options , the shadow issues you are haveing i bet are caused by 1 of 2 things extra verts or the verts are off kilter slightly makeing it show up as it is. Try looking at the model with out mesh smooth applyed and if you see edge line the vertex got moved some how if it looks smooth then i bet you need to weld verts together to fix. Just a wild guess here  :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 07:04:16 am »
Using mesh smooth on a model isn't always the best thing to do.  At least from what experience I've had with mesh smooth.  Also, I don't think he was using Meshsmooth to begin with.

I think his problems are with smoothing groups.  Low poly models sometimes have problems when it comes to smoothing.

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:48:24 am »
Looks very good. I just can help but to be bugged though over the fact it looks like a refitted version of an Execlsior class. Not enough to make think it is, it just gives me that feel. Especially with engineering hull, along with the one spot where the nacelles meet the engineering hull.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:10 pm »
Using mesh smooth on a model isn't always the best thing to do.  At least from what experience I've had with mesh smooth.  Also, I don't think he was using Meshsmooth to begin with.

I think his problems are with smoothing groups.  Low poly models sometimes have problems when it comes to smoothing.
If i recall there are 2 types of mesh smooth 1 type increased the poly the other type does not either way i am no help so i will just watch and wait for your results  :)
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:53 pm »
Smoothing is one thing, Meshsmoothing (also called Subdivision or Turbosmoothing) is different.
Smoothing basically just peturbs the normals of vertexes across different groups of polygons. Meshsmoothing basically subdivides meshes and places the new verts on a certain averages based on the normals of the old verts.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49:15 am »
Looks very good. I just can help but to be bugged though over the fact it looks like a refitted version of an Execlsior class. Not enough to make think it is, it just gives me that feel. Especially with engineering hull, along with the one spot where the nacelles meet the engineering hull.

I know how you feel.  I had the same impression the first time I ever saw the XCA, even the stock Taldren models from OP.  However, after a while, at least for me, you begin to start seeing them as separate classes, even though they may generally look like an established class.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 03:32:07 pm »
Here's an update.  I made the bridge.  Kinda elaborate, but I think I nailed it.  The smoothing isn't permanent.  I just didn't want rough edges in the renders.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:42 pm »
Just my 2 cents, but i wouldn't just put a lip around the impulse engines, perhaps in conjunction with an reverse-extruded, but not alone.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 09:05:19 am »
They're extruded in, just not that deep.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 09:24:37 am »
then I would deepen it so as not to cheapen it.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 09:45:39 am »
I'm thinking about giving the impulse engines a different look to be honest.  My last attempt was very poor, that's why I did what I did.  There's still time for it.

In the meantime, I've already finished the placements for the saucer's phaser emitters.  I now have to make the emitters themselves, but with the boxes in place, that should be easy.  This ship is gonna have some recessed emitters in the banks.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »
Depends on how high poly you want the model I guess but I would remove a few things.

The recessed area around the bridge dome is not really needed, and can be removed.
The next area is the valley around the impulse dome you made a valley there that you could have used a simple V shape instead
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »
Those were intentional.  The impulse dome, I like cause it gives it a little character.  The bridge, same, but also controls height, albeit to a very small degree.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 05:36:56 am »
Very nice work Keep it up.  My only concern is l the location of the impulse dome  it seems a little too far forward on the saucer
moving it back a little  would look good but that is my opinon and you are free to use it or not   ;D

Great work all round 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 04:07:15 am »
Here's a slight update.  I know it's been a while but I've been preoccupied and lazy.

I decided to take Bernard's advice and I resized the impulse crystal and repositioned it.  It was fairly easy to do.

I've finished cutting out the launchers for the saucers for the various ships.  The CA version will have 2 forward launchers in the saucer, the DN with 3 engines will have 3 forward launchers in the saucer, and the BB with 4 engines will have 4 saucer launchers.

The neck will have 2 launchers for all versions.

I haven't decided if I should do a single or dual deflector theme with the ships.  I thought about doing a single deflector for the CA, and dual deflectors for the DN and BB.

And I'm constantly redoing the impulse engines.  I just can't seem to find anything I am comfortable with.

Anyway, deflector, should I do a dual deflector for all ships, single deflector for all ships, or a dual deflector for the DN and BB while the CA gets a single deflector?

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 06:23:53 am »
I like the idea for the impulse crystal to be Single for the ca and depending where you are mounting the extra warp engines go Dual for the DN and Battleship.  ;D 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
I'm going to keep the impulse crystal as a single for all ships.  The deflector though I can't decide if I should go single, dual, or a mix.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 09:18:37 am »
I'm going to keep the impulse crystal as a single for all ships.  The deflector though I can't decide if I should go single, dual, or a mix.

When in doubt make two versions
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »
Anyway, deflector, should I do a dual deflector for all ships, single deflector for all ships, or a dual deflector for the DN and BB while the CA gets a single deflector?

My preference:

a dual deflector for the DN and BB while the CA gets a single deflector.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 10:39:22 pm »
True.  Since the hulls will be basically identical, with the exception of the deflectors, and I'm not unifying the mesh, kitbashing a dual dish CA or single dish DN/BB would be easy.

Ok, I'll release a CA with a single dish, and the DN and BB will both have dual dishes.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »
Well, the DN hull and the CA hull should have separate elements to make them fit into the design better, beyond the different deflector arrangments. Give the DN an extra shuttlebay or something, like P81's Odyssey, but try to make it adaptable so a person can switch out what they want.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 03:06:31 am »
I don't want to get too fancy. 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 11:51:30 pm »
Minor update to show I have been working on the ship, albeit very little.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 02:06:06 am »
Been doing some more work in what time I have.  I haven't done much.  I did the deflector dish.  There are going to be two variants.  One is a single dish, and the other are twin deflectors that are smaller than the single dish.  I've also made an aft torpedo housing for use on the 3 engine and 4 engine variants of the X ships.  Nothing fancy.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:10 am »
Good work mate...

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:34 am »
Another update...

I've finished the phaser box placement on the ship.  I like where they are and how they're arranged.  I'll work on their emitters next.  Each box is actually a triplet turret bank.  I've also made a 3rd pylon for the 3 engine variant of this ship, and a joint for it to connect to the ship, as I didn't want it to look like I just placed it there.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »
Damn Nice work  :thumbsup:
Could you make 1 shuttlebay open? So a shuttle can be rigged for flight and the other bay use IM transparancy trick to show a shuttle inside the shield with a door 1/2 way open? Im goan try that on a SW ship but id love to see this on your ship here. Thats if you want to go to that effort all good if not but would rock more with that little extra detail.
Time for life!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 06:33:36 am »
I would if I could, but I don't know how.  Think you could help me out on that?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 02:06:52 am »
I would if I could, but I don't know how.  Think you could help me out on that?
If you see me on msn contact me any time. :-[
Time for life!

Offline Kitchener

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »
looks good, are you going to unify it? there are lots of seperate parts there  :angel:

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »
I'm liking that mesh.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 01:50:11 am »
I started out as a kitbasher, and I know that there's a small possibility that at least a few people, including myself, may want to make kitbashes from this mesh one day, so F_W was right, I am basher friendly.

F_W and I were and still working on a TNG Excelsior kitbash, and the mapper we managed to get unified the entire mesh, which I think led to a few of the problems we're still having now, but no way to be sure.  Either way, most likely I am not going to unify this mesh.

Besides, there aren't that many independent parts.  The entire engineering hull, including shuttlebay and deflectors, is all one piece.  The phaser boxes themselves are separate.  The torpedo pod/pylon assembly is one piece, neck is one piece, impulse assembly one piece, bridge one piece.  The nacelles will be independent as well, so there aren't really that many pieces, just several large pieces.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 02:01:47 pm »
I've been working on the warp nacelle, well, the basic shape of it anyway.  I'm still gonna work on it and refine it quite a bit.  Just thought I'd show that this project isn't dead.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:41 pm »
P.S.  In case you're wondering, no, it doesn't have any mapping.  That little textured spot is a finished nacelle I'm using as a basis for my own, and I'm building my own on top of it as a guide for shape and dimension.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 05:31:09 am »
I've done a little more work on the nacelle.  Not much, but at least it's progress.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 02:11:45 pm »
inspired by that 4 engine tmp from STO?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 05:13:20 pm »
What ship?  I don't keep up with STO development anymore.  This nacelle is supposed to be a merger of the P81 X ship nacelle and the Sorcerer nacelle. 

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »
there's an sto ship that has that type of boxy nacelle, I thought that was the direction you were going.
http://startrekonline.com/gallery?page=4&op0=&filter0=1

Not sure if that would work, otherwise screenshots page 5 bottom left corner.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 12:00:06 am »
Na, never saw that before.  Not too keen on the nacelles.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
Personally, I like the nacelles better than I like the back archy section.. exactly what purpose would an arch like that serve?  Besides none and artist vision or whatever.. the implied ingame purpose is what I'm curious about.

Only thing I can think of is that two of these ships join together in a MVAM manuever to become a warp-capable McDonalds...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:32:20 pm by atheorhaven »

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:38 pm »
you've just created starship porn. :laugh:

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
Personally, I like the nacelles better than I like the back archy section.. exactly what purpose would an arch like that serve?  Besides none and artist vision or whatever.. the implied ingame purpose is what I'm curious about.

Only thing I can think of is that two of these ships join together in a MVAM manuever to become a warp-capable McDonalds...

If that's the case, I hope they're making better burgers in the 25th century. 

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 10:52:29 am »
Well, I suspect that meal worm burgers would be easier to make when you can raise the biomass in zero-g.  ;)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 10:53:21 am »
you've just created starship porn. :laugh:

Hey, where do you think shuttles come from?  ;)

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 04:45:17 am »
Ok, before you start thinking to yourself, "Oh here we go again, another thread resurrection", keep in mind, threads deader than this have been brought back to the front page.  :-D

Anyway, I did some more work on the warp nacelle.  I'm trying to come up with different variants of the nacelle so that the X ships don't all have the same looking engine.

Here's some updated pics...

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2010, 02:25:47 am »
Ok, since I haven't had a chance to do much with the ship since I last posted an update, I thought I would at least post some images of what the XCA looks like.  For the most part, the XCA itself is finished.  However, seeing the ship with engines, I think I might reduce the thickness of the engines, since they look a bit too fat to me.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:03 am »
I'm inclined to agree. I would say about half to 2/3s that thickness
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »
I don't know. She is about the size of a Coni right? If so the engines would be about the right size since they are supose to be big and overpowered right.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:37 pm »
Starfox: Her size is supposed to be between a Connie and an Excelsior.  I have to redo the torpedo tubes on the ship.  They're too big for the ship. 

FoaS:  I was thinking the same thing, roughly around 2/3 the thickness.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 07:28:29 am »
Finished the DN and BB nacelles.  I know they don't look any different.  I didn't bother with any fancy lighting, but maybe you can make out the differences.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2010, 01:41:56 am »
Ok, some renders of the DN with her engines.  Note, I haven't resized the engines.  I intend to do that when all modeling is done.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:54 pm »
As a Cruiser the design works but as a Dread it just doesn't look beefy enough. Engines are good but the Rest of the ship needs to be bulked up around them.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:34 pm »
It's not always about size when it comes to dreads.  The Federation Class is considered a dread, even though she's no bigger than a Constitution.  Her two primary engines are lowered in elevation, and she has an additional warp engine mounted at the top of a thicker neck.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2010, 09:57:39 pm »
Well, the Tos FDN has a longer secondary hull and a thicker saucer. Size isn't always about length.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2010, 01:13:13 am »
Very true, but I don't think the dread version of the ship needs to be beefier in anyway. 

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2010, 06:25:48 am »
I feel like it needs to be different - if only slightly. SFB-itis aka: Kitbash-Syndrome is not a good thing most of the time.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2010, 07:53:36 am »
Think about the practical side too. You have all the extra Equipment and crew of a Dread. Ths stuff has to go somewhere. The renforced hull segments to hold up that 3rd engine have to have room too. A true Dread is more then a 3rd engine and 4 extra phaser banks.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 01:26:20 am »
Well if anyone wants to rework it when these are finished, they can go ahead.  As for me, I don't see any problems with the ship as is, with the exception of the thickness of the engines.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:50 am »
I've resized the warp engines.  They are now 80 percent as thick as they once were.  Not sure if I should make them thinner.  Here's an image of how the XCA looks now with thinner engines.  Should I make them thinner or are they good as is?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 08:10:35 am »
Could you show us it with another 10% chopped off the nacelles?
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 08:28:05 am »
You mean 10% more thin?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 08:28:32 am »
Yawp
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 08:55:46 am »
Nacelles at 70% of their original thickness.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:07 pm »
I like it better at 80%

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:53 pm »
Same here 80% looks really good unless you want to try for 75%  :)
Keep up the great work  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:40 pm »
I think 75 would be a good compromise.  I might do 85 for the DN/BB engines.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 10:21:25 am »
Well, not much has happened.  I have, however, converted the XCA over to editable mesh to get a poly count, and so far, the ship stands at 9930 polys as an editable mesh.  All that's left to do mesh wise is finish phasers, which is just making the turrets.  I may not even make them and just have them textured onto the phaser blocks that I have currently in place now.

Just thought I'd let people know of the poly count.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2010, 01:00:35 am »
Well, not much has happened.  I have, however, converted the XCA over to editable mesh to get a poly count, and so far, the ship stands at 9930 polys as an editable mesh.  All that's left to do mesh wise is finish phasers, which is just making the turrets.  I may not even make them and just have them textured onto the phaser blocks that I have currently in place now.

Just thought I'd let people know of the poly count.

Textures can cover smoothness so you can cut poly on the round parts ie bridge and impulse detail . Keep the saucer the same but any other details in the saucer mesh thats round can be cut and textures can replace it. (Ignore me] .
Good job  :thumbsup:
Time for life!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:15 am »
Show a wire frame images of what you currently have and then perhaps the experienced Modelers can give you suggestions as to how
to optmize the Mesh to get the Polys down  :)

Great Job by the way

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:28 am »
I like the poly count the way it is.  I was afraid I was going to end up over 11k on the XCA alone, and the fact that I have it under 10k, that's great for me.  Because I've worked with the mesh so long, I know where I can cut down polys, but I don't want to lose the detail. 

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »
I would say you probably could shave 2-3k off of it w/o loss of detail if done in the right spots

Look good though, espceially w/ the thinner nacelles.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:21 am »
Ok, I went in and cut the poly count down by roughly 600 polys.  The only places left to cut down the poly count in large numbers are the impulse engines and the saucer itself, and those I will not touch at all for anything.

Question though, should I keep the phaser block placements and have phasers textured on, discard the blocks and put in turrets in their place, or turrets and blocks.  And if I do go with turrets, should I try and go with something different, or just the regular sphere shape.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »
Phaser strips entered service some time between 2310 and 2320 so I supose you could try some kind of proto strip.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »
The phaser arrays entered service circa 2330 at the earliest.  These ships predate that time period.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 03:37:32 pm »
could use the phaser turret 'track'
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 08:51:57 pm »
Is that the one that WZ made for his X-ship? I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

If you are in love with idea of the phaser bulbs, I'd say model them on. They don't take up too many polies, and the textured one's really show themselves to be just that: textured.
Robinomicon

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »
The rail phasers are a good idea, and I'll probably use it on another project sometime.  I may even make a variant of this ship with them, maybe not.  I think I will include the turrets, but I think I want to make them more than simple spheres.  Give them a different shape.  I'm playing around with a few ideas in my head.  And I might keep the phaser blocks as well.