Topic: X Ships Project....  (Read 22076 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
X Ships Project....
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »
Most of you hopefully are aware of GAFY corrupting me and getting me to seriously consider making a new set of X ships.  If not, look at the last couple pages of the IN NEED OF GAFY TEXTURES thread.

Anyway, this is what I've been working on. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Re: X Ships Project....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:14:23 pm »
Nice. The stock OP X-ships weren't too bad but it looks like this will blow those out of the water.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »
Most of you hopefully are aware of GAFY corrupting me and getting me to seriously consider making a new set of X ships.  If not, look at the last couple pages of the IN NEED OF GAFY TEXTURES thread.

Wouldn't it be better if the saucer was turned around.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:46 pm »

the X ships have their impulse hosuing protrude from the back. The bite in the front is where the torpedo tubes are.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:43 am »
Right now I'm trying to get viable general shapes for the ship.  Details such as the bridge, phasers, impulse engines, etc., will come later.

I just hope that these models turn out half way decent.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:51 am »
looks like you've got a great start to them .  Keep up the great work  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:05 am »
I made a neck.  I decided to go more Excelsior in appearance when it comes to the neck, but I also wanted to give it my own touch, so it's got rounded edges, and as it comes down towards the engineering hull, it tapers down a bit.  It's also got a slight curve in the spine of the neck.  What do you guys think?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:20:59 am »
I like the views looking up at the neck from the quarter side.  But I don't like the back and looking downwards at it.

Maybe if you also rounded it into the Engineering hull it would look smoother.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:38 am »
What do you mean rounded into the engineering hull? 

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:51:49 am »
The ship with pylons and torpedo pod.  I had created the torpedo pod and pylons some time ago when I was trying to build another ship.  In fact I'm gonna redo some things on that ship's components cause I've improved slightly.

Since the pylons were already created, I just fixed a few things and gave it a little detail here and there.  The only thing that really needs to be finished on the pylons and torpedo pod is the torpedo launchers themselves.  That'll come later.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:32 am »
Looks good so far, I'm just not a fan of the cut in sensor on the front of the saucer. But what are you making this in Gmax or regular max or lightwave or milkshape. And how many polies so far

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:12 am »
F_W's right.  If you look at the old P81 X ships, that cut in was the area for additional forward firing torpedoes.  I haven't added the launchers yet.  Since this is gonna be an X era TMP ship, she's gonna have a sensor dome in the traditional area, bottom of the saucer.

The ship is being made in MAX 9 right now.  I haven't checked the poly count yet, cause I'm lucky if I'm at 50% completion.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26:48 am »

It looks like it has a hard edge where it comes into the lower hull on the sides.  Was thinking if it would do a slight rounding to blend into the lower hull instead of coming in with a square edge would have more fluid/organic lines

But then remember this thought is coming from someone who can't model a ball. ;)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:43:00 am »

It looks like it has a hard edge where it comes into the lower hull on the sides.  Was thinking if it would do a slight rounding to blend into the lower hull instead of coming in with a square edge would have more fluid/organic lines

But then remember this thought is coming from someone who can't model a ball. ;)

I think I might know what you're talking about.  It's the very back edge of the neck, the flat edge.  Making it look as if it's grown out from the engineering hull?  If that's the case, don't think there's much I can do to fix it.  I made the neck as a separate object, so that's probably what was causing that affect.  I could always remake the neck, which I guess wouldn't be a bad thing.  In fact, a part of me was thinking I should after I finished it off.  However, there's no guarantee that I could make it look like it flows into the engineering hull.  I think the ship is too low poly for that affect.

However, I could be wrong.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:44:04 pm »
I've started work on the main impulse engines and bridge area.  Just a general shape right now mind you.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

the X ships have their impulse hosuing protrude from the back. The bite in the front is where the torpedo tubes are.

The reason I say that is because it would better to have fire from the secondary hull.It also has slight look of the Excelsior class.I would look better to have smooth front on saucer.

Offline Wicked Zombie

• His Unholiness
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »
There isn't a lot of design leeway with this ship as he is basically making a higher detail version of the stock X-Ships. Making major changes to the design would take away from the point of the project.

The stock ships have a number of anomalies that don't make a lot of sense or even look good in some cases, but a lot of that is also what makes the ships recognizable.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:13:47 am »

The reason I say that is because it would better to have fire from the secondary hull.It also has slight look of the Excelsior class.I would look better to have smooth front on saucer.

I've had to take a few liberties since some aspects of the old P81 ships are extremely difficult to duplicate.  Also, sometimes they don't look right, so I've had to make a few things a bit more Excelsior-ish.  However, the overall design is fairly much like the Excelsior, but that doesn't mean it has to be nearly identical to the Excelsior.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:00 am »
I wasn't too happy with some of the results with the impulse and bridge section of the ship, so I redid it.  I'm much happier with this.  I also gave this one a bit more detail at this stage, but I won't do much more until I can figure out how I want to tackle the impulse engine shape and the bridge module itself.

Side note, those depressions in the aft end are not the impulse engines.  They're shuttlebays.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 10:38:44 am »
Did some basic impulse engines.  Hope people are liking the project.  I'm gonna finish off this section of the ship when it comes to details.  So that means I have to make the bridge and impulse dome/s.  Also, I have an idea for a new look for the dome.