Topic: TOS Excelsior  (Read 47111 times)

Offline Anduril

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: TOS Excelsior
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 05:22:38 pm »
Wow, Don't Shoot's NX-1900 is hot.  I am going to have to revisit some places I haven't been to in a long long time.   I tend to agree with FoAS's proposed modifications even though it is acceptable as is for that reality.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 05:31:09 pm »
Well, the original design is JJ-verse, which it works well for. It doesn't fly in the prime-verse without my mods, though.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »
the buzzards would need a color change also, those disco ball buzzards dont work in real trek

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »
So let me see so far we are discussing the ship on what it should look like then you guys are going to see if you each can build it in part or whole?

If so and some one maps it I am willing to help out in textures
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline joker

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Take the ace!!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 11:34:50 am »
Definatetly, I will build whatever part ya need me too. Also when we have all the parts together, Can map or whatever. I like team stuff like this.

MSI GT729 Intel Quad Core Q9000 Processor Technology (2.0GHz),
4GB DDR 3 Ram, 500GB HDD, DVD Super Multi/ Blu-ray Optical Drive,
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4850 3D Graphic Card with 1GB

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 11:48:51 am »
Since I'm going to find the TOS excelsior useful, I'll chip in in whatever way I can.

Have we settled in on a final design?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 12:05:47 pm »
I think I creamed myself a bit when I saw the Ascendant!  wwwwwooooowwwww  :smitten:
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »
Personally, I'd start by looking at the TMP Excelsior design, then the TMP Constitution refit, then the TOS Connie and then look at what sorts of pieces could have been upgraded from TOS to the TMP Excel.

I'd think nacelles, secondary hull, deflector, bridge module, impulse engines, nacelle pylons, lower sensor package on the saucer.  Secondary hull should roughly the same size seen from the top view (that appears to be a design feature).

Personal opinion, I wouldn't go for as much bling as the shiny disco ball version, I'd go more the Helena route.  The disco version is very pretty and all, but I kind of see it as Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu.. she was gorgeous then, but how well did she weather?  ;)

My two cents.. :D
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 12:32:00 pm »
speaking of the Helena - did Mudd ever release it?
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 12:39:48 pm »
Do we include any JJsytle?

Sounds like a poll question.. ;)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:23 pm »
Do we include any JJsytle?

Sounds like a poll question.. ;)

not my thread :P

That's okay, do a poll question in a new thread asking for blind random input.. maybe add a picture of the Ascension, the TMP Excelsior as reference, and the Helena to it.  Just ask, which style would people prefer for a community built TOS era Excelsior... a) Helena-type styled, b) Ascension-type styled, c) Something different  d) Why bother.... or something like that.  :)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »
speaking of the Helena - did Mudd ever release it?

Yes he did, but the link to the model is dead now. Maybe PM him.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 11:49:45 pm »
Well, I guess the first question is do you want it to be true TOS or not. If so, then the JJ universe style goes away. If you want it to be STXI style, then go all out that way, IMO.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 12:20:45 am »
So which part of this model would you like me to build?

Furyofaseraph:- they are very good observations.

Well, I dont agree with any of them. ;) Usually FOAS is right on target, this time, this model has unique styling ques that make it it's own kinda ship. You change it like FOAS suggests, it makes it too excellsorish. I love it the way it is.

Also, I Mudd's Helena is fracking gorgeous. Course this new ship is f*cking awesome!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 12:34:02 am »
to each there own, but i find flaw in your logic: this is supposed to be a TOS excelsior - so wouldn't more excelsior traits be good?
Robinomicon

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 04:12:36 am »
If we are talking this one then I have it

People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 11:50:32 am »
Hey GAFY,
Think you could send that my way?
Robinomicon

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 01:25:08 pm »
Hey GAFY,
Think you could send that my way?

Wouldn't mind a copy myself.  ;)

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 04:38:54 pm »
Done and Done you guys should have it by now

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »
personal input here, id go for Connie style nacelles but rotated, put the grey grid on top of the nacelle instead of the inner sides, then pull that grid to be longer and maybe wider running about 2/3 of the top of the nacelle. Pylons id leave alone they are already square which TOS pylons are. The cargo doors id reshape to not be so flat more bubble type and taller as a result. For the saucer, remove the senor dome and replace it with a more tradition TOS style dome. Impulse engines leave the line work, but remove the little balls on them flatten it out and add a line going down each strip to the engine exhast and instead of being curved make it more flat back but rounded tips like a connies with a an exhuase grid. The bridge id replace with a TOS style one, but make two visable turbo shafts on the module and not as oval shaped.

Deflector should come out from where the current TMP deflector is but instead make that area larger and rigged like a connie then a deflector dish poking out from it larger than the hole. Id also leave the top of the engy hull flat, leaving its basic lines intact honestly.