Topic: Looking for 8 good men (or Hexx and Kroma . . .)  (Read 26450 times)

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Looking for 8 good men (or Hexx and Kroma . . .)
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 12:47:03 pm »
....you were serious about the NCL thing?  :huh:

I agree the plasma ships are overpriced in F&E when you consider their relative effectiveness in SFC. The Roms are in the same boat however, so it does balance out. There is no way the Firehawk is as good as a non-plasma race's BCH.

We could leave the prices as they are and just give the plasma races a few more eco points to start with.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »
....you were serious about the NCL thing?  :huh:

I agree the plasma ships are overpriced in F&E when you consider their relative effectiveness in SFC. The Roms are in the same boat however, so it does balance out. There is no way the Firehawk is as good as a non-plasma race's BCH.

We could leave the prices as they are and just give the plasma races a few more eco points to start with.

Roms pay for the Cloak.   Gorns pay for what -  the Tutu?

Once we get the Race leaders in place we can hammer out the economic details.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 01:30:50 pm »
Gorns pay for pink fighters......
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 01:32:12 pm »
Cloak goes by separate rules, so the overpricing of the plasma ships has nothing to do with that.

Just give each of them another 6 EP's to deal with the overpriced ships.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 01:55:42 pm »
Cloak goes by separate rules, so the overpricing of the plasma ships has nothing to do with that.

Just give each of them another 6 EP's to deal with the overpriced ships.

Regardless the Cloak add to combat effectiveness in SFC.   The Gorn's "Gorniness" doesn't.   The 6 EP's might be fine or simply lower their prices to match the Federation/Klingon counterparts.

With these low economies it's gonna be war-cuiser hell  :D

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
1.   Can an OoB be created using the OCI?
2.   Can RMs assign ships to players on the fly in the OCI from this OoB pool?
3.   Can damaged ships retain their damage and be dumped back into a OoB pool?
4.   Can an RM view his ships and see how damaged they are on the OCI?
the simplest way would be to create an account specifically for the OOB ships and just have the RMs keep track of who has the keys to the account, if bonks got a better way that would be cool though.
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »
the simplest way would be to create an account specifically for the OOB ships and just have the RMs keep track of who has the keys to the account, if bonks got a better way that would be cool though.

Smart man - that is the fallback plan.   Make and account for each ship and give people the username/passwords.  If Bonk can't automate that's the way to go.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 04:38:31 pm »

Smart man - that is the fallback plan.   Make and account for each ship and give people the username/passwords.  If Bonk can't automate that's the way to go.

From what I have seen Bonk do (if he find the time) he should be able to do 1 and 2 at least (2 might take a player loging out to get the ship moved to his account).  My money is on he can do it.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 05:09:50 pm »
Yes. (started last night, realised I need a code redesign for the oci now as it grows in complexity, but I can put it off till after this)

Yes. (if assignee is logged off as marstone mentioned, but I have never really tested editing the ships of a logged in player - might be worth a try sometime)

More work, but doable, so long as they are traded in on the oci and not in game.

Again, more work but doable. Can just spit out the translated damage blob.

From this thread so far the main tricks I see are the point system and the awarding of points at the end of each turn/phase. I think it would require a scheduled task. Or it could be done automatically from the oci, but what if nobody looks at it around the turn end... I dont think that matters... yeah I'll do it from the oci code. Calculation is the easy part, scheduling (emulation of) will be the trick. No wait, it needs to be a scheduled task, as the map may continue changing even though the oci may remain unobserved. This requires minimum downtime for cleaning etc, or adjustment of the scheduled task to account for unplanned downtime.

Again, I am moving at the end of the month (hopefully) so may be offline for a short time but I will commit to this. Trick is I can't really set it up at dynaverse.net until we figure a way to get thor up and running. I have no problem running it on my server but like I say, I have the upcoming move. So my thinking is to do a little development before the move, then once I get reconnected, start setting it up for a run early next month. Optimistically, in three weeks. If you guys wanted to do something sooner, I don't think I could be of much help.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:45 pm »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but do we really need to price fix Gorn ships if they're really just facing the Roms?

I had assumed the traditional map was being used- is this the case?
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 06:17:37 pm »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but do we really need to price fix Gorn ships if they're really just facing the Roms?

Not talking BPV.   The Gorn ships in F&E cost too much, the Gorn CCH costs most than a Fed BCF.

When I mentioned selling the Gorn some F-NCL ships it was to give them SOMETHING direct-fire.  The Romulans have maulers.

I had assumed the traditional map was being used- is this the case?

It's looking that way.

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40:17 pm »
Don't want to start it here.. but you know it's going to end up if the Gorns get a discount do the Feds pay proportionally more for a CVA?
More for their superior fighters? (iirc the F-14s actually do have special rules.. been way to long since I looked at F&E though)
Are the Lyrans going to pay more for the BC? (this I can't remember-I assume so but don't know)

Would drones be stripped off the F-NCL's? (again I honestly don't even remember what kinda rack they carry, I really have to start looking at the game again)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
Don't want to start it here.. but you know it's going to end up if the Gorns get a discount do the Feds pay proportionally more for a CVA?
More for their superior fighters? (iirc the F-14s actually do have special rules.. been way to long since I looked at F&E though)

yes, you pay more for the better fighters.  Carriers works strange in F&E, they are more powerful than they are in SFB/SFC and are nigh impossible to kill.  We'll have to modify this somewhat.

Are the Lyrans going to pay more for the BC? (this I can't remember-I assume so but don't know)

The SITs can be found here http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/37/20881.html?1227653244

They Lyran BCH costs 11 EP to build (comparision the K-C7 and F-BCF cost 10).  The plain old Lyan BC (with powerpacks and crap, I forget the designation) costs 10 EP. 

The Lyrans do have some advantages as a BC can be made off of a converted CL hull so they can build more battlecruisers than any other race.   The Lyrans and Romulans aren't as cookie-cutter as the rest of the races.

Would drones be stripped off the F-NCL's? (again I honestly don't even remember what kinda rack they carry, I really have to start looking at the game again)

F-NCL has 1 rack.  I'd leave be or let them replace it with a sinlge 360 plasma D.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 07:00:31 pm »
I gotta say, I really hate the G-NCL idea. Anything that kills racial flavor is bad.

And while I don't want Gorn racial flavor to be "get owned in a fleet battle" I think we need to find another way.

Keep in mind maulers are going to be relatively rare.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline Hexx

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:06 pm »
I don't even know where to start looking for my F&E stuff.. sorry should really make a big list of questions rather than doing it this way..

-What's the conversion cost/time/whatver we're charging to actually build Romulan Maulers

-If it's the Romulan maulers that are the issue for the Gorn, what about the Allies conjectural maulers? (I know they were printed somewhere, dunno how good they were, although I suspect since they're allied ships they are awe inspiring) I mean if this is a campaign that's not designed to follow the historical one, a CJ ship or two may not be a bad idea.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »
According to F&E rules Roms can build 3 maulers per turn.  I didn't realize it was that high; maybe we should consider limiting that a bit more.

Cost wise they are more or less the same as equivalent hulls. FHA and FHF are both 10 points.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 08:26:31 pm »

-If it's the Romulan maulers that are the issue for the Gorn, what about the Allies conjectural maulers? (I know they were printed somewhere, dunno how good they were, although I suspect since they're allied ships they are awe inspiring) I mean if this is a campaign that's not designed to follow the historical one, a CJ ship or two may not be a bad idea.

They suck ass.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »
According to F&E rules Roms can build 3 maulers per turn.  I didn't realize it was that high; maybe we should consider limiting that a bit more.

Cost wise they are more or less the same as equivalent hulls. FHA and FHF are both 10 points.

We'll see mostly war-cruisers, the Sparrowhawks are cheap.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »

They suck ass.

Kroma should love them then...  :D

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:53 pm »

They suck ass.

Kroma should love them then...  :D

Sigh . . .  Perhaps it's best to talk to the Gorn and see if this is even an issue.