7 (13.2%)
Insurrection
1 (1.9%)
Nemesis
0 (0%)
STXI
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Topic: Favorite Trek Movie  (Read 14349 times)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: Favorite Trek Movie
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 02:14:50 am »
3...reason...none other than this...my favorite trek quote..gene's TRUE message...

Captain Spock: My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me.
Kirk: You would have done the same for me.
Captain Spock: Why would you do this?
Kirk: Because the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many.
Captain Spock: [pacing] I have been and ever shall be your friend.

People often dwell on spocks words of logic "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one"...

But that ISNT gene's message....Spock is only HALF human....he is also half ALIEN...

"the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many"

THIS...is humanity....that many would risk all...for one...

That to me is what trek is all about...a human captian would risk all to save a single crewman...not just write him off...

My two cents.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:29 am »
There were a few things I disliked about Trek III

1/ You killed Spock he is DEAD go on from there. 

2/ Klingons in Romulan ships. 

3/ The Klingon Captains pet.

4/ Hey BONEHEAD you only have 12 crew and you're behind enemy lines, you don't execute any of them on a whim, you don't have any to spare.

1. Yeah, Spock died, but it upset a lot of fans so they brought him back, and bribed Leonard Nimoy into agreeing by letting him direct (the reason they killed Spock was because Nimoy hated being type cast, and only agreed to come back for WoK if they killed the character). 
2. I don't recall the Romulan bird of prey even remotely resembling the Klingon one, and if I had to place the BoP in any trek race based on its shape, it would be the Klingons. 
3. Klingons wallow in filth, is it surprising that he would have an animal like that on his bridge
4. The idiot disobeyed a direct order and fired to destroy when he was ordered to disable.  Executing him was hardly satisfying a whim.
You know, I really really like ST: Nemesis.  I think it get's an unfair rap from some hardcore trekkies who are just a little too nitpicky about it.

It was a FAR better MOVIE (though one may say it wasn't better trek) then Insurrection, Generations, the original Motion Picture, or the Final Frontier...In MY OPINION.

I wouldn't say I really liked Nemesis, (had the same trek issue of WTF did these Remans come from, and why am I supposed to believe miner picard guy is an awesome spaceship commander), but I'll agree I liked it far more then Insurrection,Generations, Final Frontier.
VI was the best imo, but Christopher Plummer really made it for me. He simply seemed to be having so much fun.

I consider Nemesis to be the worst Trek film (I don't consider that PoS that Abrams produced to be Star Trek).  That said, its still better than any of the other sci-fi films that were produced around that time.  As for Shinzon being a starship commander, they explained that in the film.  The Romulans would regularly draft Remans to run the military missions which they considered too dangerous to risk Romulan lives on.  During the dominion war Shinzon gained a lot of experience as a tactician.  Also, you really don't know how awesome he was a starship commander considering that the ships weren't exactly equal.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:02:01 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 08:56:04 am »
ST III is awesome. Campy as hell, but awesome. I can forgive a lot because of Christopher Lloyd. Hands down BEST KLINGON EVER!

Also McCoy is at his best with lines like:

"How can you be deaf with ears like that!"

and

"That green blooded SOB! This is payback for all those arguments he lost!"

Nimoy did a good job, give him some props.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:32 am »

That is Klingon ship not a Romulan Ship and a pet why not never heard of the dogs of war.I believe that ship is an older K'vort class if it has two disruptor cannons mounted on the wing tips a BoP only as one.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:08 am »
Hehe, well, Archer had a beagle.

Ducks the wrath of Nem.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 08:21:25 am »

That is Klingon ship not a Romulan Ship and a pet why not never heard of the dogs of war.I believe that ship is an older K'vort class if it has two disruptor cannons mounted on the wing tips a BoP only as one.

The script originally had the Klingons mention they stole/actually showed them stealing a Romulan ship.
This was how they originally got a cloaked ship and why the ship is referred to as a BoP.
Yes, all those "iconic" looking Klingon ships were originally supposed to be Romulan.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:34 am »

That to me is what trek is all about...a human captian would risk all to save a single crewman...not just write him off...

Would risk all to save a single recurring crewman.
Single episode crewmen are pretyt much inconsequential .
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »
That is Klingon ship not a Romulan Ship

To that point in time Klingon ships did not have bird names or paint jobs.  Romulans were the ones who painted their ships as birds of prey.  Till that movie Klingons did not have cloaks, Romulans did.  That is why everyone I know assumed that it was a Klingon owned and Romulan built vessel.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 08:28:42 pm »
That is Klingon ship not a Romulan Ship

To that point in time Klingon ships did not have bird names or paint jobs.  Romulans were the ones who painted their ships as birds of prey.  Till that movie Klingons did not have cloaks, Romulans did.  That is why everyone I know assumed that it was a Klingon owned and Romulan built vessel.
Then why don't you see Romulans with them and Klingons use different type of cloak?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 09:01:34 pm »
Then why don't you see Romulans with them and Klingons use different type of cloak?

From "The Balance of Terror" to Picard meeting the Romulans how many Romulan ships are seen with Romulans flying them?  You don't see Romulans with ANY ships in than time frame does that mean they had none?  Not seeing Birds of Prey in Romulan hands does not mean that they are not Romulan ships, it means they are not SEEN in Romulan hands. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

The script originally had the Klingons mention they stole/actually showed them stealing a Romulan ship.
This was how they originally got a cloaked ship and why the ship is referred to as a BoP.
Yes, all those "iconic" looking Klingon ships were originally supposed to be Romulan.

While the original script may have had the BoP as a Romulan ship, I think that by the time they designed the model they already dropped that idea.  After all, it does have the general profile of a Klingon warship, ie. phallicly shaped.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:24:14 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »
After all, it does have the general profile of a Klingon warship

Which could easily be because the Romulans based their later designs on the hulls they had bought from the Klingons but adjusted to their manufacturing and weapons technologies as well as to the sense of aesthetics. 

In SFB the 3rd generation designs are hybrids of Romulan and Klingon designs.  The Bird of Prey could easily be viewed that way.

ie. phallicly shaped.

Myself I see Klingon ships as being sharklike.  I guess it is all in what you are inclined to see ;).

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:05 pm »

ie. phallicly shaped.

Myself I see Klingon ships as being sharklike.  I guess it is all in what you are inclined to see ;).

I see it as evidence that Klingon males are poorly equipped and over-compensating.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:45:49 am by knightstorm »

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:02 am »

From "The Balance of Terror" to Picard meeting the Romulans how many Romulan ships are seen with Romulans flying them?  You don't see Romulans with ANY ships in than time frame does that mean they had none?  Not seeing Birds of Prey in Romulan hands does not mean that they are not Romulan ships, it means they are not SEEN in Romulan hands. 
In Star Trek Generations when the Enterprise D is being attacked by the Lursa sister on the bridge on the Enterprise you hear Riker ask Worf "What do we know about that old Klingone Bird of Prey and he said it is a B'rel class commissioned back in 22xx and a cloaking problem".I would say they are Klingon not Romulan.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:50:02 pm by Age »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 08:44:23 pm »
In Star Trek Generations when the Enterprise D is being attacked by the Lursa sister on the bridge on the Enterprise you hear Riker ask Worf "What do we know about that old Klingone Bird of Prey and he said it is a B'rel class commissioned back in 22xx and a cloaking problem".I would say they are Klingon not Romulan.

When the British flew fighters and bombers that should have been stamped Made in Canada during WWII they were identified as British.  Even now books about WWII planes list them as British and few mention the Made in Canada part. 

When Dunkirk wiped out their military vehicles most of the replacements came from Canada.  When planes were being destroyed in the hundreds and thousands during the Battle of Britain the replacements were made here but considered British as the British used them.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 12:58:02 pm »

When the British flew fighters and bombers that should have been stamped Made in Canada during WWII they were identified as British.  Even now books about WWII planes list them as British and few mention the Made in Canada part. 

When Dunkirk wiped out their military vehicles most of the replacements came from Canada.  When planes were being destroyed in the hundreds and thousands during the Battle of Britain the replacements were made here but considered British as the British used them.

They may have had Royal AirForce makings but were made in Canada as they were taken from Britsh designs atleast most of them and yes the Royal AirForce used them.Those BoP are Klingon not Romulan.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:25 pm »
They may have had Royal AirForce makings but were made in Canada as they were taken from Britsh designs atleast most of them and yes the Royal AirForce used them.Those BoP are Klingon not Romulan.

Yet when you look up the deHavilland  Mosquito or the Lancaster Bomber built here in Canada it always cites it as British and only rarely mentioned its being Canadian built.

You haven't cited anything that would demonstrate that the Bird of Prey wasn't Romulan.  It has been cited that the Romulans were the originally planned enemy for the film.  (See the IMBD trivia page for SFS).  Upper management changed it to Klingon and just continued with the existing model.  It was intended as a Romulan ship and it was a Romulan ship the same way the British Mosquito was actually of Canadian construction.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 05:02:17 pm »

Yet when you look up the deHavilland  Mosquito or the Lancaster Bomber built here in Canada it always cites it as British and only rarely mentioned its being Canadian built.

You haven't cited anything that would demonstrate that the Bird of Prey wasn't Romulan.  It has been cited that the Romulans were the originally planned enemy for the film.  (See the IMBD trivia page for SFS).  Upper management changed it to Klingon and just continued with the existing model.  It was intended as a Romulan ship and it was a Romulan ship the same way the British Mosquito was actually of Canadian construction.
Yes.But it never came to be so the fact is on screen which is the truth they are Klingon.It states it here as wellbop.the british mosquito may have been made in Canada but it was british design so this making it a british plane.Britian was being bombed lost probably most of their factories who built aircraft. Where else are they going to get it built?You were considered a british subject outside of Canada at the time even if you went to the US you were British.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
Wait. Canada made airplanes? ;)

I thought they flew around in war Freesbies. :D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »
The Avrocar was a failure.