7 (13.2%)
Insurrection
1 (1.9%)
Nemesis
0 (0%)
STXI
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Topic: Favorite Trek Movie  (Read 14344 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Favorite Trek Movie
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »
Yes.But it never came to be so the fact is on screen which is the truth they are Klingon.It states it here as wellbop.

Sorry I've seen enough of Wikipedia "edit wars" to know not to trust it on anything with a fan base.

TOS had the D7, obviously a Federation/Earth designation for the design likely due to not knowing the Klingon name.  Outside of the Bird of Prey the other Klingon ship classes named have Klingon names like the K'Tinga and so forth.  The Bird of Prey is a name characteristic of the Romulans, it has neither a Klingon name nor a routine designation but is named for its appearance as Romulan ships are.

The original script for the Klingon version had Kruge STEALING the ship from the Romulans.  Though it never showed on screen it does show that Roddenberry considered it to be a Romulan ship.

the british mosquito may have been made in Canada but it was british design so this making it a british plane.Britian was being bombed lost probably most of their factories who built aircraft. Where else are they going to get it built?You were considered a british subject outside of Canada at the time even if you went to the US you were British.

You know the Mosquito was British designed how?  I've never seen a reference to where it was designed.  All I've ever seen is the British attribution and the more accurate Canadian built but British operated.  Never have I seen a reference to where it was built. have you or are you just making an assumption?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »
Wait. Canada made airplanes? ;)

I thought they flew around in war Freesbies. :D

Stephen

I believe it was President Truman who described Canada as the allies aerodrome.  Partly for the huge number of planes we built and partly for the number of pilots (including American ones) we trained for the allies.

The Avrocar was a failure.

Thats what we want them to believe ;).
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »

When the British flew fighters and bombers that should have been stamped Made in Canada during WWII they were identified as British.  Even now books about WWII planes list them as British and few mention the Made in Canada part. 

When Dunkirk wiped out their military vehicles most of the replacements came from Canada.  When planes were being destroyed in the hundreds and thousands during the Battle of Britain the replacements were made here but considered British as the British used them.

Many of the "British" MTB's and MGB's were built on this side of the pond. They were built to a British specification and sailed under the British flag making them British boats. The same would apply to any British planes built over here. General history books will never get down to the level of detail describing where particular pieces of hardware were built.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 01:52:46 am »
This is why I hate the idea of a ST cannon.  So many different ideas seem to have been forced together that too much has to be explained.  People should stop trying to make sense of it all, and new productions shouldn't pretend to exist in the same universe as previous productions.  There have been so many badly done productions over the last nearly half a century, that the idea of a story cannon is rediculous.  If somebody likes a theme from one production, they shouldn't have to deal with the baggage from another.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 12:52:46 am »
Actually Kirk and company were able to spy into the BoP's bridge in balance of terror, and too their surprise they see that Romulans look like Vulcans.

Also, there was the lady spy in STIII who, though she had ridges was obviously not pure or completely Klingon, and my assumption was that she was at least partly romulan.  Of course they blow her up since she saw the data...but I think she was more or less a connection to the Romulans in some way.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 09:28:00 am »
Half Romulan Half Klingon is one theory, and perhaps a good one.

My more recent thought was that the "virus" took a little more time to get out of the Klingon females than it did the males.

(Of course the behind the scenes thought is that they were testing the "appeal" of a Klingon woman and didn't want to overdo the forehead ridges until they got fan reaction to the new ridges on the male.  Why do you think Keyh'lr had less pronounced ridges as well?  And they went with the explanation that she was half human.  They got the reaction they wanted and went with the full ridges for Klaa's exec and Lursa and Be'tor)
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:51 am »
With the ridge vs no ridge issue I wish they had just used the idea that the Klingons had multiple races and a revolution put the bonehead Klingons in power and a future counter revolution might put the ridgeless (or another race) back into power.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 10:14:51 pm »
Yeah, but when they gave Kor, Kang and Koloth ridges in DS9, that deep-sixed that idea.  Unfortunately. Because I really would have liked the idea that there was a Ridged Klingon and a Non-Ridged Klingon.  Similar to the way we have different colored skinned humans (because of exposure to sunlight radiation), they have Klingons that evolved with forehead ridges because some unnamed predator in a part of Qo'nos liked to attack from above, the forehead ridges provided an extra second or two for the Klingon to react.  Those without the ridges became the day's meal.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »

You know the Mosquito was British designed how?  I've never seen a reference to where it was designed.  All I've ever seen is the British attribution and the more accurate Canadian built but British operated.  Never have I seen a reference to where it was built. have you or are you just making an assumption?

Because its referred to as the de Havilland Mosquito after the firm that designed it.  Likewise, British designed Rolls Royce Merlin engines were produced in the US, and were considered one of the primary reasons for the success of America's premier fighter in the European theater, the North American P-51 Mustang.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »
Yes.But it never came to be so the fact is on screen which is the truth they are Klingon.It states it here as wellbop.

Sorry I've seen enough of Wikipedia "edit wars" to know not to trust it on anything with a fan base.

TOS had the D7, obviously a Federation/Earth designation for the design likely due to not knowing the Klingon name.  Outside of the Bird of Prey the other Klingon ship classes named have Klingon names like the K'Tinga and so forth.  The Bird of Prey is a name characteristic of the Romulans, it has neither a Klingon name nor a routine designation but is named for its appearance as Romulan ships are.

The original script for the Klingon version had Kruge STEALING the ship from the Romulans.  Though it never showed on screen it does show that Roddenberry considered it to be a Romulan ship.
I stick to what I see on screen no matter what the script calls for.

the british mosquito may have been made in Canada but it was british design so this making it a british plane.Britian was being bombed lost probably most of their factories who built aircraft. Where else are they going to get it built?You were considered a british subject outside of Canada at the time even if you went to the US you were British.

They were also made in Australia with Rolls Royce Engine similar to the Spitfire.The Navy used some American planes.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:44 pm »
The Royal Navy was forced to rely on American planes in part because the Fleet air arm was controlled by the RAF before the war which resulted in the British having pathetic carrier based planes, and in part because they made the mistake on demanding a navigator seat in their primary pre-war fighter which caused it to suffer performance-wise compared to single seat fighters.  Eventually, navalized versions of RAF planes became available, however due to the differing requirements of carrier and land based operations, such planes were less than optimal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:04:40 pm by knightstorm »

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
ie. phallicly shaped.

Myself I see Klingon ships as being sharklike.  I guess it is all in what you are inclined to see ;).

The truth is revealed.  Dr. Evil created the first Klingon warship.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkTv8DGlrok[/youtube]

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:47 am »
This one was easy for me.  Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country!!!  I would have loved to have seen the further adventures of Captain Sulu as a follow up...

Voted for STII: tWoK mostly because of the phaser buzzsaw effects.  The storyline was OK too.  Almost voted for ST: TMP instead - I love that one too.  Mostly 'cuz of the new Klingon music that was introduced.

I have a hard time getting into the Picard Era movies.  They aren't bad, but I enjoy watching the Kirk/Spock/McCoy character dynamic more.  Plus Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Checkov come up with some great one liners!  I'll still watch Picard and company, though.

The new Star Trek movie really disappointed me.  Beer factories should never be used as Engineering sections!  I felt like the writer(s) were being too sloppy and too lazy with the storyline and taking too many liberties with the characters.  The special effects didn't save this one for me either.
:puke:
 I would have much rather have seen Enterprise do the movie thing.  Or Voyager.  Or DS9...

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »
There were a few things I disliked about Trek III

1/ You killed Spock he is DEAD go on from there. 

2/ Klingons in Romulan ships. 

3/ The Klingon Captains pet.

4/ Hey BONEHEAD you only have 12 crew and you're behind enemy lines, you don't execute any of them on a whim, you don't have any to spare.

5) YOU BLEW UP THE f*ckING ENTERPRISE.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
5) YOU BLEW UP THE f*ckING ENTERPRISE.

First of all as a Klingon why would I have a problem with that? 

Second KIRK blew up the Enterprise.