7 (13.2%)
Insurrection
1 (1.9%)
Nemesis
0 (0%)
STXI
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Topic: Favorite Trek Movie  (Read 14348 times)

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
Favorite Trek Movie
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »
Just for fun and for the heck of it. It's hard to pick one, so there are two votes!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Favorite Trek Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:52 pm »
I went for ST II, and ST VI.  The Nicholas Meyers Trek films were the best.  I really wish they had reached an agreement with him to direct Nemesis.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »
I went for ST II, and ST VI.  The Nicholas Meyers Trek films were the best.  I really wish they had reached an agreement with him to direct Nemesis.

I went I and II, but I agree about Meyers. I didn't know about the Nemesis deal, but it would have been nice if he did.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »
Basically, the negotiations fell through because they didn't want to give him the level of creative control that he wanted.  But considering that this was the guy who wrote and directed the two most critically acclaimed Star Trek films of all time, they should have met his demands.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:58:16 pm »
I move that anyone who votes for Star Trek Nemesis or later be perma banned.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:44:43 am »
As far as I'm concerned, The Wrath of Khan is the only one that didn't completely suck.  I kinda liked the characters in the last one, but there was about it.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:24:54 am »

I dislike the newest movie a lot more than I like it, but one of the positives is that it hooked people. I get testy when people are like "oh yeah, I love Star Trek (meaning only the latest film, and they haven't seen anything else)," but a few people I know saw the newest movie and from that decided to watch the whole run of TOS.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »
I get testy when people take the work others did and instead of building on it they scrap most of it, not to improve it but to make it theirs.   If you want to build on the work of others treat their work with the respect that it is due.  If you don't think it worthy of respect then it isn't worth building on so go and CREATE YOUR OWN original work instead of polluting the legacy of the original creator of something people love.

They could have made a Star Trek "reboot" that didn't mess with the foundations of Trek, but they didn't.  They could have done it while making a movie both fans and non fans could like, but they didn't.

Consider the TV show Stargate and the movie that it is spawned from.  The TV show made adjustments but only where needed to extend the concept into the new media and format.   The same with the Lost in Space movie where they updated the show and filled in some of the gaps but without tearing up the foundations and erecting a totally new structure.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:01:54 am »
I get testy when people take the work others did and instead of building on it they scrap most of it, not to improve it but to make it theirs.   If you want to build on the work of others treat their work with the respect that it is due.  If you don't think it worthy of respect then it isn't worth building on so go and CREATE YOUR OWN original work instead of polluting the legacy of the original creator of something people love.

They could have made a Star Trek "reboot" that didn't mess with the foundations of Trek, but they didn't.  They could have done it while making a movie both fans and non fans could like, but they didn't.

Consider the TV show Stargate and the movie that it is spawned from.  The TV show made adjustments but only where needed to extend the concept into the new media and format.   The same with the Lost in Space movie where they updated the show and filled in some of the gaps but without tearing up the foundations and erecting a totally new structure.

Excellent point!  The thing I hate so much about the ST franchise is that every ST movie seems to just screw up everything that came before.  The series are much better.  OK, Voyager was inexcusable, and Enterprise derailed at the end of the first season.  A TV series needs consistancy, but when they make movies, the temptation to totally go off the deep end and thash everything must be too great.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:45 am »
Yeap it is the reason SFC3 was made so bad I won't go any further than that.I went with 2 and 6 as well however I do like 5.I would have to say that all of the ToS crew movies were great after watching Generations for 6th time I must admit Kirk and Spock are Star Trek.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:13:16 am »
OK, Voyager was inexcusable

Could have been worse
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0[/youtube]e

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:03 am »
OK, Voyager was inexcusable

Could have been worse

I've never come across anything that couldn't be worse!  How did that actress even pass the audition?  Maybe a woman that soft-spoken could rise to a command position in a real fleet, but geeze, that was no heroic leader!

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »
You know, I really really like ST: Nemesis.  I think it get's an unfair rap from some hardcore trekkies who are just a little too nitpicky about it.

It was a FAR better MOVIE (though one may say it wasn't better trek) then Insurrection, Generations, the original Motion Picture, or the Final Frontier...In MY OPINION.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:53 pm »
You know, I really really like ST: Nemesis.  I think it get's an unfair rap from some hardcore trekkies who are just a little too nitpicky about it.

BOOOOO!!!!   HISSSSS!!!!

I have trouble with issues like the "Slave race builds super ship under the noses of their masters and no one notices" plot point.  This went out with Space Opera in the 1950s.

Cloning Picard to lead the Romulan race????   That would be like Israel cloning Arafat to lead them.

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:11 pm »
Heh, don't feel bad Dash, I absolutly loved STIII: the search for Spock.  The whole sequence of events in stealing the Starship was outstanding.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »

Cloning Picard to lead the Romulan race????   That would be like Israel cloning Arafat to lead them.

He wasn't cloned to lead the Romulans.  He was intended to replace Picard as a sleeper agent.  But there was another regime change on Romulus, and the plan was scrapped.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 06:25:26 pm »
There were a few things I disliked about Trek III

1/ You killed Spock he is DEAD go on from there. 

2/ Klingons in Romulan ships. 

3/ The Klingon Captains pet.

4/ Hey BONEHEAD you only have 12 crew and you're behind enemy lines, you don't execute any of them on a whim, you don't have any to spare.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

It was a FAR better MOVIE (though one may say it wasn't better trek) then Insurrection, Generations, the original Motion Picture, or the Final Frontier...In MY OPINION.

I wouldn't say I really liked Nemesis, (had the same trek issue of WTF did these Remans come from, and why am I supposed to believe miner picard guy is an awesome spaceship commander), but I'll agree I liked it far more then Insurrection,Generations, Final Frontier.
VI was the best imo, but Christopher Plummer really made it for me. He simply seemed to be having so much fun.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:35 pm »

4/ Hey BONEHEAD you only have 12 crew and you're behind enemy lines, you don't execute any of them on a whim, you don't have any to spare.

I agree about and especially about #2 -- when I read that the Romulans were supposed to be the baddies in ST3, I was disappointed that they weren't kept. The Klinks have been in ST1-ST6 in varying amounts, while the most screen time the Romulans got was having one ambassador guy in ST6 . . . they could've had a lot more Romulan stuff without overdoing it.

'course, I remember Kramer in one Seinfeld episode saying that The Search for Spock was his favorite, so that gives the film something right there.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:18 am »

#2 "Klingons in Romulan ships!  Now I remember the first thing I hated about the "Bird of Prey."  Well, asside from the 37mm cannon pods, borrowed from a Stuka, the Romulans were the alien with the bird motif!  That was a common comment back years ago, butsince then, that ship kept showing up until we got used to it.  Spaceships should be cool in the first frame of a film, not shoved down the audience's throat.  Didn't that piece of crap make its debue in ST2 WoK?

There was nothing good about ST3.