Topic: =/\= interesting space vehicle/launch rocket design by buzz aldrin's company  (Read 3685 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
http://buzzaldrin.com/space-vision/rocket_science/starbooster/

a very interesting design concept. very modular and flexible depending on mission objectives. i like it. give it a look
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
looks interesting.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
I hope they get it done. The shuttle fleet is all but dead now only a few flights left and we cant trust the russians to get us up there.
Time for life!

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
I don't like this concept at all.  The Challenger and the Columbia were destroyed by the consequences of the booster arrangement.  This concept differs by putting two orbiters in peril at the same time.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
I don't like this concept at all.  The Challenger and the Columbia were destroyed by the consequences of the booster arrangement.  This concept differs by putting two orbiters in peril at the same time.

I'm sure the designers have considered that and taken steps to mitigate any danger based on specific points in the findings.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
I believe in the KISS principle.  This looks complicated.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral

LOL, Well it is Rocket Science. :D :D :D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
actually it is quite simple much simpler than nasa method. nasa tries to make 1 vehicle do everything. this method has a few designs to best match mission parameters. quite ingenius if you ask me
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Interesting, but nothing really new with the concept.  It is how we work with our current medium to heavy lift vehicles.  Take the Atlas V or Delta IV for example, our current evolve expendable lift vehicles (EELV) - It can be conifigure multiple ways to achieve the the mission parameters (hell there has been talk of man rating an atlas V).

as i said, interesting concept, not exactly revolutionary. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Interesting, but nothing really new with the concept.  It is how we work with our current medium to heavy lift vehicles.  Take the Atlas V or Delta IV for example, our current evolve expendable lift vehicles (EELV) - It can be conifigure multiple ways to achieve the the mission parameters (hell there has been talk of man rating an atlas V).

as i said, interesting concept, not exactly revolutionary. 

See, this is why I hang out with Tus, he really is a rocket surgeon
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander

It actually has nothing to do with the booster arrangment, and more to a) a fault in the booster itself or b) material weaknesses.  The arrangment itself is a sound one, and has been used alot over the past 40 years.  Of course the fact of the matter is until we can develop a technology that can get us to orbit quick and easy with out the need of volatile fuels there will always be inheret dangers involved with sending men into space.  Frankly I think people need to get over this one fact and quit being panzies so we can actually progress in space.  Then, just maybe, we can get to the point where going to space is just as safe as any other human method of transportation.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander

there is no such thing as 'simple' when it comes to rockets.

edit: rockets as in those capable of putting  a manmade payload or a human into orbit ;).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:26:17 pm by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
a mile long artillery piece.  Nice simple, Boom, in space.  :D
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
a mile long artillery piece.  Nice simple, Boom, in space.  :D

lol, well ya, simple concept, but not simple to do though.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander

Simplicity, in my view, is limitting the number of components making up the vehicle.  This is obvious.

Marstone has a point.  It is possible to launch a payload to orbit from a howitzer.  If you remember, Iraq, under Sadam Husein started such a program.  The payloads would overfly Israel.  I think he had a plan to dispose of his arsenal of chemical weapons by sending them into space.  An accident there could have been bad.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral

Simplicity, in my view, is limitting the number of components making up the vehicle.  This is obvious.

Marstone has a point.  It is possible to launch a payload to orbit from a howitzer.  If you remember, Iraq, under Sadam Husein started such a program.  The payloads would overfly Israel.  I think he had a plan to dispose of his arsenal of chemical weapons by sending them into space.  An accident there could have been bad.

There was a movie/Documentary about that Giant gun also, But darned if I can remember the name of it. Now I got to go digging around for it.

Thanks for reminding me of that, I believe it was an HBO film.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War