Topic: Starting DirectPlay Test Host... sigh  (Read 9156 times)

Offline DragonQ

• Ensign
Starting DirectPlay Test Host... sigh
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:45 pm »
I fancied seeing if anyone still played this game and what mods were being used. However, after I installed the game I remembered that my router for some reason highly despises SFC3 (not any other game though). I have Windows 7 x64. Here's the steps I've done in trying to get past this stupid test host so far:

- Installed game
 - Installed 534b patch
 - Installed Access Server patch 1.02
 - Set SFC3.exe to run as administrator and in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode
 - Made sure the correct ports were open on my router (6073, 2302-2303)
 - Allowed all SFC3 Windows Firewall popups

I've then tried every combination of the following that I can think of:

- Enable/Disable UPnP on router
 - Add/remove my PC from the router's DMZ
 - Add/remove "BehindNAT=1" line to/from sfc.ini
 - Add/remove "IP_ADDRESS=..." line to/from sfc.ini
 - Enable/disable Windows Firewall

Nothing works, I just cannot get past the DirectPlay Test Host. Windows 7's dxdiag doesn't let you test this either so I don't know if it's a specific SFC3 or DirectPlay problem. What else can I try?  :'(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:39:32 pm by DragonQ »

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
Re: Starting DirectPlay Test Host... sigh
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:39:39 am »
Hi DragonQ,

Sorry it took so long for this reply. I haven't been checking lately. Unfortunately, I don't have a Win 7 system yet, so all I can recommend is to check all the stickies for suggestions. At first glance, it looks like you're on the right track with the list of things you've tried. Hopefully someone with Win 7 will drop by soon.

Edit: I just found this thread. Check it out.
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163390180.msg1123007074.html#msg1123007074

Good luck,
Mav
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:57:01 am by SPMaverick »

Offline MiyamotoMusashi

• Ensign
Re: Starting DirectPlay Test Host
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:34:35 pm »
Maverick,
     Musashi here, MrCaesar's dad. Where can one go now to get into the DV3 nowadays?  I have noted that no one seems to be in the servers; is this a sign that the old SFC3 warhorse has been put out to pasture once and for all?
Regards,
M. Musashi, late of the KHB

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:33 pm »
Hi Mr. Musashi. How are you and MrCaesar?

I believe the list of available servers you see depends on the patch level of SFC 3 you have installed. For instance, I think the list is different for the base version versus the 534b patched version.

When I checked a couple of days ago, I saw around 3-4 servers from my 534b installation. I haven't been on this past year, as I've been spending time on DDO, but I am getting the SFC itch again.

I think a lot of the old SFC players are on STO now. I heard a rumor that STO may be going free to play soon. I've been meaning to try it out, and if the rumor is true, I will when it goes FtP.

Good luck,
Mav

Offline MiyamotoMusashi

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
Maverick,
     I have been talking with MrC about the DV3, and if we can get the login issues resolved (and if anyone else is rejoining the servers) we're both in!  Besides, my former fleet has dried up, and I'd be willing to join the SP's, if you'd have me. MrC's been trtying to get me to join up for STO, but like you I'm only interested if it becomes FtP.  I'm kinda funny that way...
Regards,
MM

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »
MM,

I've been planning to check out STO, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I heard a rumor that it was going to go free-to-play, but I don't know if it's true or when.

As far as joining SP, I think you'd need to talk to SPApropos. Hopefully you can catch him on one of the forums. There's a link on the SP website http://scorpionpirates.net/ to join up.

I'm not an officer, so I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm sure you'd be welcomed.

NCC74656

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:06:03 am »
i have spent 4 days testing this myself. i thought it was an issue with my dsl modem so i build at windows server 2003 box to handle all pppoe authentication and put my dsl modem into a transparent bridge mode. this did not solve my problem, so i installed windows xp in a vm box on my windows 7 box and tried bridging the virtual nic to its own physical nic on the host box and setting up pppoe inside the vm box. it gave me internet access but still no sfc3 access. in all my attempts i was able to access the access servers but not pass direct play test host. i built a windows xp box and tested that to determine if it was my 2003 box not forwarding. when i tried to connect under windows XP it worked. I then built a windows vista box and tested it on that... again it worked. so this is my conclusion:

There is an issue with DX11 in windows 7 that prevents any DX8 connections through SFC3. I have not tested other DX8 games however i can tell you that NO DX7/8 network port will come through when i have DX11 installed. DX10 and lower all work with DX7/8 as far as ive tested. I do not understand why a VM box with a bridged nic would not work but some how the host OS is blocking the guest os in that case. i recommend building a second computer and hooking it through a KVM to a second monitor or your primary monitor. I am using a belkin USB KVM on a second screen that is connected to my main computer. this allows me to use this screen on both computers and the same keyboard/mouse.

I am going to continue to attempt to make SFC3 function under VMware but im not sure if i can. i will post on here if i am successful but until then assume it does not work.

on a side note the amount of verification on this forum is redonculus