Topic: =/\= AMD to kill the ATI label  (Read 1833 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= AMD to kill the ATI label
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:59:46 am »
after the termination, the graphic card segment of the AMD business will have new names. goobye ATI radeon, hello AMD radeon and so forth. frankly i am surprised they haven't doen this sooner, especially with the domination of the 5850 and 5950 cards.

read about it here: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19547
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: =/\= AMD to kill the ATI label
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50:36 am »
This could be good or bad.

IF they get off there asses and really work on Drivers, then this will be a plus for AMD. If not, then it will bring the AMD name down.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »
AMD and ATI suck the big one!

( Intel/Nvidia Fanboy here!  :P )

Seriously tho - me loves some competition so I agree with Stephen - fix 'dem drivers and make NVIDIA work for it again!

AMD will always be the poor man's Intel tho - so I'll never make the mistake of buying one of their weak ass chips again...

;)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »
LOL, Man , I am just the opposite. I would so much rather run AMD then anything Intel has, except for maybe a Skull Trail. Last Intel I had was an old Pent 2 120 mhz, that didn't work for a darn. Switched to AMD and never looked back.

Cheaper, Works better for what I do (except for the top of the line I7's, but who can afford them.) , and generaly are easier to overclock.

But shoot my friend, as long as any chip gets ya where your going, more power to them.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:14:34 pm »
i have run amd for years. i have also run nvidia for years but if i could afford one of the 5950 or 5850 cars i would definitely get one as they kick nvidia's ass for performance right now. personally i have run amd simply because i could get almost the same performance as intel at 1/4 the cost. now i know that the top top end cpus are intel but really does anyone really need to spend that much just to have the "best" cpu in the market. i would say i am more an amd fanboy than i would nvidia. i simply want the best gear i can afford. so if an amd ati combo does it, that is what i would buy. i am very anxious to see what happens with the new cpu/gpu combos we are going to start seeing in the next few years. it could get really interesting.
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:54:28 am »
LOL, Man , I am just the opposite.

But shoot my friend, as long as any chip gets ya where your going, more power to them.

Stephen

True 'dat - and strong competition is where we all win!

However - as a longtime gamer - I have always felt as if Intel and Nvidia always did a more thorough job of doing shady back door deals with game developers to favor it running on their platform.

And - as a longtime PC gamer - I can use all the advanteges I can get to have games run smooth as possible on my system.

It's funny though - I had horrible power/heat issues with and AMD chip back in 2000 or so - and it still sours my opinion of them - even though I had some good friends who worked at AMD back in the days when I lived in Austin, TX.

Well - when I build my next rig soon - I'll consider being open minded - but those back door deals tend to sway my opinion quite a bit...