Topic: Gallente Destroyer for CCP's Contest WIP  (Read 14194 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Gallente Destroyer for CCP's Contest WIP
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »
So CCP, the company that makes Eve Online is hosting a contest. Basically it's "Design a ship"

This is my WIP for my entry.

It's intended to be a destroyer. For those who know Eve Online, its basically intended to be the Mini-Brutix. Basically this is to the Brutix as the Vexor is to the Dominix.

C&C welcome as always.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Gallente Destroyer for CCP's Contest WIP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:43:44 pm »
At first glance, it reminds me of a whale.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »
I could see that. The Dominix from Eve is very whale like, so it fits.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:33:42 am »
Where are the rules for the contest? Have a link?
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Robinomicon

intermech

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
Sweet! I really like the shape and proportions! I will have to look into the contest as well, but am intimidated if the likes of FOAS is competing.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:33:05 am »
FOAS, not all play EVE Online (amazingly enough).. any links to what the main Cap ships look like so we can compare?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »
Here's the Brutix

and I'm taking a few queues from the Vexor as well
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »
Seams like there is alot more surface detailing on the Brutix. It adda a knife like quality yours seams to lack at the moment. I that kind of feature indemic to the naval archatecture of the race as a whole or limited to that one class?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:24:29 pm »
Well, do remember - this is still a work in progress - so I don't have all the detail down yet. Further, I'm actually thinking about restarting this one with a proper quad-mesh fit for meshsmoothing - an endeavor I've never attempted deeply.

The Gallente are very rounded, but the Brutix (and a couple others) do have that very well sculpted detail. On other vessels there are "blank" smooth spots (usually found on curved surfaces). Most of that detail, however, is achieved via texturing.
Robinomicon

intermech

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »
It truely is an art to get that relief look by using textures to take advantage of every ripple in a plain mesh. You need a really good unwrapping program and quite a bit of talent to pull it off, but I am sure FOAS is up to the challenge.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »

I think I'm going to restart. That bulbous thing on the sides just seems slapped on and I think I should integrate that shape into the base of the wings some. I will continue to play :)
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:42 pm »
I like the ship as she is coming along.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »
What until you see version 2.0 :)
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »
version 2 progress...
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:42 am »
I like it without that big wheel thing but kinda miss the rest of that section. Other wise it looks good.

intermech

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:10 am »
I liked the "wheel thing."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 12:38:55 pm »
So did I, but the way I did it wasn't working for me. There will be a wheel thingy but it will be smaller and less obtrusive.

EDIT: well, I HOPE there will be a wheel thing. This thing has taken on a life of its own - it's telling me not to do it >.<

Edit 2: The model and I have come to an agreement - There will be a small wheel in the underchassis. The model just wanted something nice to make it not look so slapdash. We have a reached a compromise. I will enlighten as negotiations continue.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:57:12 pm by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:58 pm »
Negotiations with the model are proceeding very nicely and both parties remain hopeful of a permanent resolution.

Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:07:27 pm »
It seems the model and I have reached an equitable arrangement. Unwrapping and Texturing to proceed post-haste.

Robinomicon