Topic: Gallente Destroyer for CCP's Contest WIP  (Read 14215 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Gallente Destroyer for CCP's Contest WIP
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2010, 09:30:01 am »
Thanks WZ.

The copy over went fine, in fact not a single error occured, according to the log file (dunno if i logged it right, though).
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:42 am »
Harddrive is still under warranty, so It's being sent back. I'll either get a 500gb or a 750gb drive in return (quite an upgrade from this 250gb). The good news is that if I have my USB 1tb drive plugged in I can continue work.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »
I may have spoken too soon. The data is all fine, but 3ds Max isn't coming up.
Robinomicon

intermech

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2010, 01:32:44 pm »
I flipped through a lot of the entries. In my opinion, yours is definitely in the top five. It may be that it fit just too well with the theme. For some reason, people tend to like a departure from standard designs. Star Trek examples include Defiant and Delta flier.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2010, 01:49:20 pm »
A quick render I did. I still feel like my renders lack a certain realism.

Well the main thing  notice is too much ambiant light. It is washing out all the shading. Got som crude examples running from 100% ambiant to 0%.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »
Many thanks,

I think mine was good, but I think that there are many more that are better. Furthermore, I think that there are many better designs in the contest than the semi-finalists that actually fit into the universe.

Starfox,

I was attempting to make it look like you were looking at ships through the haze of a nebula - I will try without the depthed haze, though - hang on.

EDIT: I didn't make these in the game, I rendered them in 3ds Max.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »
Okay, compare these two shots, if you please.

Without nebula haze

With nebula haze
Robinomicon

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »
The blur is a bit funky, doesn't seem to mesh for some reason
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2010, 02:43:06 pm »
Its not really the haze; though giving that an irregular density would help. Its how you ar lighting the ships. It lacks directionality. It looks like its coming from everywhere too me. of cours that could be from the head on nature of the light souce. try changing the angle.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2010, 02:45:17 pm »
Blur-less version with no nebula haze

Blur-less version with nebula haze

Seems kinda plain to me - the depth of field is a nice touch in my mind, i guess. You tell me.

The lighting is from all around, look at the luminescence of the nebula.
Robinomicon

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »
I like that last one but don't think your model is prominent enough. (if I have it right... I understand why though... perhaps putting the camera on a flank of the fleet?)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »
Going to render out another scene - standby.
Robinomicon

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »
Aye, the depth is nice, but it doesn't mesh currently.  It just looks... off.  Also for lighting, you might also consider your nebula should also be casting shadows, which i think is a commonly overlooked fact.  And remember, nebulas, in and of themselves, produce no light but refract light from the stars within, so directional lighting is still a must
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2010, 11:20:20 am »
So,

Basically dA has taught be how to NOT run a contest. They've been wholly inconsistent in the rules, they have no mechanic for feedback, they were expecting 500 entries and got 3800, (thats right, more than 7 times the number they were expecting) and did not extend the judging period. They were unforgiving in their own interpretation of ambiguous rules and did were inconsistent in their clarifications (no this is not allowed, but then it is, then many pieces were disqualified for it, then some of the semi-finalists broke the rules, then one of the semi-finalists was booted out of the line up for breaking the rule). Furthermore, they entirely ignored another rule of their own, or at least had some arcane interpretation of it. Apparently "Suitable for inclusion in Eve online" did not mean that designs had to conform to the established motif - I, personally, cannot think of another interpretation of that phrase.

I'm never joining another deviantArt contest, I urge you all to do the same.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 12:31:06 am »
It took me a day to make an effective Beam-weapon rig that I was happy with. I can now make cool phaser/particle beam effects directly in my renders (no post work, naturally).

Tomorrow Morning I'm going to make some quick and easy Sprite weapons (ie: Photon Torpedo lookalikes) and some pulse weapon rigs. also, I need to make some good thruster effects, too.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 12:41:57 am »
Perfect light and shadow look real :)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 02:45:40 am »
thruster effects... like this?

Oh, and the render is awesome ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:55 am »
dA? I thought it was a CCP contest?

Don't worry FoaS, our art community is a step above here. (they can make fun of us for being trek geeks all they like :P)

We should have explicitly defined modelling technical challenges. Break new ground. Clear submission protocol. No prizes, but bragging rights in an elite community. Worth way more. ;)

(I have got to get the .mod format on the canvas... and WebGL is around the corner...)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:13:21 am by Bonk »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2010, 01:25:23 am »
Hey bonk,

The contest was actually a joint venture between CCP and deviantArt (or dA) - the 15 semi-finalists were picked by dA, the 3 winners would be picked out of the 15 by CCP. dA's selection for the 15 semi-finalists sucked. Furthermore, their handling of the public outcry was atrocious - hence my beef.

Anyways - to get back to better/more-fun stuff.

I will be doing a couple renders just out of pure fun. I've got a story in my head and I'm wondering how much fun getting a 3D comic finally made might be. Anyways, to that end - here's something I've got in my head. A few "Meet the people" type things. Not very Inspired renders, but something that will hopefully prove to be kinda neat.
Robinomicon

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2010, 04:44:05 am »
3d comic... I love it. Dig through some of the fan fic.

I wish I could wiggle my nose and make the .mod format appear on canvas.

Put the two ideas together...

Even just a 3d rendered traditional comic is a great idea though.  Would it be serious and dark a la Batman? Or outrageous and funny like Mad? Or some of both? Or obscurely artistic and obtuse? Use Dynageezer characters or fictional ones or a combo? Many possibilities. I really like it.

Oh wait, I'm translating it to Dynaverse and you were thinking an Eve universe comic?