Topic: =/\= good news, and bad news...  (Read 3049 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= good news, and bad news...
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:27:13 am »
first the good news. NASA has announced the finding of approx. 2100 star candidates in the "north american nebula" if you are unfamiliar with this nebula it looks just like north america on maps. it is bizarre. where there were only 200 thought before are now over 2100!
article here: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/111460/20110211/nasa-north-american-nebula-pelican-spitzer-stars.htm

now the bad news.... bastards... so spending and budget cuts have been announced and golly gee guess what gets the axe? almost anything having to do with science. defense budget? social security? unmentioned and untouched. NASA, NOAA, FDA, EPA, etc...
sickening. truly sickening. we need the long line of warmongers out. i am so tired of seeing humanity's future slashed like a bad halloween horror flick. it is like the dark ages. science and education and enlightenment have been shelved for wars and religion (not to mention religious wars). sigh. 
http://appropriations.house.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=259

BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: =/\= good news, and bad news...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »
Well... I am kind of mixed on the bad news.  The EPA NEEDS its budget cut, I would go so far as to say the department needs to be eliminated entirely and let the State's DEQs take over the role the EPA used to play.  I am indifferent on the FDA and the NOAA, both organizations do good, but they've also been dabbling in places that they really shouldn't be, so the question needs to be asked, do they have too much money in their budget?  NASA on the other hand, while I don't think they deserve an increase in spending, they certainly don't deserve a decrease.  I don't believe that NASA is the future of space exploration but, until its successor is established, it is all we have.  Ultimately I do believe that a joint Military/Civilian operation may be the best solution to our space exploration conundrum.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:09:23 am »
The problem with NASA is that, whenever a new administration comes to office, NASA is systematically cut.  Then in a year or so, the president will decide he needs to leave a space legacy, and start drafting a broad vision of the future.  Long term plans will be composed.   Then he'll leave office, and the next guy will come in and slashes the programs that billions of dollars have already been spent on, and starts the cycle anew.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »
I used to love NASA, until it become an ambassador to Islam.

As for the cuts, they are not deep enough. and remember, these are cuts off the Proposed budget for 2011, meaning they are not even cutting into debt.

If it where me, I'd cut everything , and I mean everything, Defense, social programs, Science programs and grants, Art grants, by at least 75% as a start.

Then I would force the Fed Government to relinquish the land back to the states, as It's ownership is unconstitutional.

Hopefully the States would open the land up to conservation, Industry, and scientific innovations.  Once we are back in the black, then we can open debate about which programs are the most important to the people, and use the constitution as a basis for what shall be allowed.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
The FDA is highly overrated as a scientific regulatory body. Look into the reasons arsenic is present in tobacco. It particularly offends me as Health Canada has a habit of taking the word of the FDA as gospel. I'll say it again: doctors are not scientists.

The EPA I have more respect for, but it is subject to other political influences and sometimes the science gets lost.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea to trim the fat from these agencies. As long as we are steered by the "invisible hand", I think it best to leave real science to the private sector, just the right motivations need to be present.

But I do stray from my assigned task. I am to think of code, not policy. ;)

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:20:34 pm »
the point is being missed here.... despite whatever your feelings are on the specific agencies being targeted for cuts, the fact remains that everything everything outside the defense budget and social security are going to be cut. to me that is an outrage. i can understand the need for budgetary concerns. but the largest expense is not touched?! the defense budget is ridiculous. if we were not the self appointed "police force" for the world, we would not need a budget so high. it just sickens me that we have a defense budget higher than the rest of the world combined! sigh...

* stoneyface_XC waits for the age of aquarius and change in the global mentality towards peace and love and space travel...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »
We apparently have fundamental disagreements  about the appropriate role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the nature of mankind.  Debating these issues would really be a venue for H&S.  I recommend that you accept the universal truth, namely "I'm always right" ;)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:23 pm »
the point is being missed here...

Oh I hear you man, I have just had to ignore such things in recent years as it tears my heart out too. To the point of dysfunction. I can't help anybody (including myself) in that state. So I try to see the positive and not think about what is wrong too much.

I heard a good quote recently that went something like:

"Positive social change has never been the result of any government, committee or group of governments. Positive social change is always the result of the passion of the individual."

I'm not ready to try and make that kind of change, but I like to think that someday I might be.

We apparently have fundamental disagreements  about the appropriate role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the nature of mankind.  Debating these issues would really be a venue for H&S.  I recommend that you accept the universal truth, namely "I'm always right" ;)

I agree, and I love your sense of humour knightstorm, never fails to make me smile.  :)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:54:20 am »
the point is being missed here.... despite whatever your feelings are on the specific agencies being targeted for cuts, the fact remains that everything everything outside the defense budget and social security are going to be cut. to me that is an outrage. i can understand the need for budgetary concerns. but the largest expense is not touched?! the defense budget is ridiculous. if we were not the self appointed "police force" for the world, we would not need a budget so high. it just sickens me that we have a defense budget higher than the rest of the world combined! sigh...

* stoneyface_XC waits for the age of aquarius and change in the global mentality towards peace and love and space travel...

See, you agree with me. <snickers>

Cut everything , and then we take a look at what programs are needed , not redundant, and effective. And while I am a little more concerned about Defense, It is Constitutional. But like most governments, here is the problem with that. They can put a new study on the effects of say syphilis on a certain group of people, and call it military research. 

IT's exactly like the government claiming me selling a bushel of Corn to my neighbor, comes under the Commerce clause.  I honestly think people where a lot smarter, when they had to rely on themselves, or small communities. When I think of all the money funneled to the Feds, which would have been better suited in the towns where people live, It just boggles the mind.

Anywho. @ Bonk, The problem with offices like the FDA and EPA, is that they now have the ability to make laws, without a proper public debate. Federal law should only be made in the legislative, not in some other office that has no authority to suspend Liberty.

I'm with Stoney here, although not necessarily the age of Aquarius LOL. I want people to care about people, without being forced to by the government (Kinda like indentured servitude) , I want to see space travel possible. Leave ambassadors to ambassadors, and NASA to Space (or any other private industry.)

As it is in America, we have too many people in too many parties telling others what is good for them. People need to realize they are more than capable of making decisions for themselves.

sorry Stoney for getting long winded here bro.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »
no worries sirgod. i want people to discuss.

in fact i want people to take their planet back. i firmly hope that the event that i think is coming happens soon. a dramatic and complete change in the global mentality towards peace, love, and exploration. we need to take our world back from the warmongers, the profiteers, abusers, and come together as a species...

i read an article today talking about this subject and i feel that i am working towards that goal... here is a quote from the article
"change in the nature of consciousness," assisted by indigenous insights and psychedelic drug use. i have a project that i feel can help all of mankind by using guided shamanic psychedelics to purify one's soul and mind and work towards a greater good. we need to reconnect with our mother earth and save her instead of killing her and raping her for whatever we need to create weapons and technology. we need to evolve or die

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:05:24 pm »
One of my biggest problems with Humanity, is that we haven't earned the wisdom, to have all the tech we have currently. now , I'm not talking like a Ted Kazcinsky kinda Rant here, but let me try and explain it a different way.

When you go out, and make you a rod and some twin on your own, Fashion your own hook, and Dig up a worm, at the end of the day, that fish dinner will taste a lot better than if you went out , bought some Cloned piece of flesh, and microwaved it with artificial ingredients. Ok maybe not the best example, But I think you get where I am going.

Anytime that an individual, or even a group per our NASA discussion, works towards a common goal, there is that feeling of reward, and it is good. Much better than the the tech that comes from military exploits. But the dark side of that, is when we loose site of certain things, and allow the body politic, or the media to crucify a good person over it. Liberty 7 door nobs for example.

That is the wisdom that I believe we must seek , as we also continue our search for bigger and grander discoveries.

Stephen