Topic: BOxSee - DY1200 [Feasible Modified Concept]  (Read 9512 times)

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
BOxSee - DY1200 [Feasible Modified Concept]
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:01 am »
Greetings,

long time lurker here finally with my project to submit. I have a strict POLY count to adhere too, and when I say POLIES I do mean mesh TRIANGLES. So I will not say a model is 1500 Polies and then the computer sees 3700 triangles etc  :coolsmiley:

My plan is to build as many ships, all races that I can as low poly as possible.

StarTrek caught my imagination many many years ago, so I will start with a long time personal favorate the DY 100 SS Botany Bay, sits in the 100m mark so I have a poly limit of 750 here and 512 bitmap limit. After the DY 100 I would like to move up the series all the way up to the Constitution class TOS. I will stop on that model before moving onto the next race. Once an era is done I will then continue, for all races. A big project no doubt but the models will be released as soon as they are done, not as a pack. They will be housed in my own website to be viewed together as a ref.

I can texture, but if anyone has an itch to texture a model and has time let me know here, models come mapped  ;)

DY 100 SS Botany Bay complete in 740 Triangles (421 Polies) - Textures started.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:50:02 am by BOxSee »

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: BOxSee - DY100 [Low Poly Classic]
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »
nice work there  ;D

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »
Interesting.. these going to be released for SFC 1, 2, or 3?  Or 1, 2, and/or 3?
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »
Well, I am no expert, but  i assumed 1 & 2 were pretty much the same and 3 requires a .brk mod with the inclusion of LOD's if you can be bothered to make em?

So if thats the case.. 1,2 & 3

intermech

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
Looks really good. Great to see a low-poly modeller. WELCOME!

SFC 1 takes lods if you want but no light maps, textures are in *.bmp format, they do take break models.
SFC 2, OP are like SFC 1 but can take light maps, textures are in *.bmp format, they do take break models.
SFC 3 does NOT take lods, the hard points for heavy and primary weapons are reversed from previous versions, they take both light maps and damage textures, they do take break models. Texture maps can be in *.jpg, *.bmp, *.tga, and *.png. SFC 3 also takes several custom UI and glare files.

Scales are the same across the whole series. Think I read somewhere 20:1.

Feel free to ask questions, we are always excited to get an influx of fresh talent and ideas!

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:23:29 am »
Thanks for the detailed response.

I have no idea about break mods or lods, is there an ref material to help get me started?

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:15 pm »
She looks ver good man ;)

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:04:00 pm »
She looks ver good man ;)

Thank you Starfox  :)

Scaling is a bit off, the mesh I have built is a few decks too high, so decided to go custom on the decals.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:52:51 pm by BOxSee »

Offline Rhaz

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: BOxSee - DY100 [Low Poly Re-emagined]
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:09 pm »
Excellent work!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:50:18 pm »
I like the Airforce logo ;D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:11 pm »
I think the burns on the nose are too pronounced. Either blend them gently in across the entire nose or remove them altogether (say there was an escape mast like on the apollo craft and it blew off during launch?)

And if you're going to use the USAF logo, you might as well go all the way and put North America at the center of the globe...

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:32 pm »
Agreed on the burns.. blended in a bit more and you're good to go.  Are you going to go for some weathering on the texture as well?  I'd think you'd take some micrometeoroid "sanding" near the front of the ship and on your leading edges.  Doing a bit of reading, Khan took a prototype ship around 1996, so a production version of the ship in the Trek timeline would be somewhere around 2000 or so, which would make the ship part of the "secret program" done from reverse engineering alien craft (again according to what I was reading).  As such, I'd look at doing a black version of this as a suggestion with USAF markings (maybe tie this in as something like "UAS Aurora" to go along with some of the conspiracy theories about US military aircraft at the time?)

Apparently retconning has been happening now that we're past this time where the "Eugenics War" has become terrorist actions and hidden history from the general public (ala Us), so you can play with this a bit.  Military-wise this'd be like the "Stargate" program in the SGUniverse, and these ships would be hidden from public.  All we're supposed to know about being the ISS and Constellation/Apollo reboot tech.  So I'd have a bit of fun with it if I were you.. ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:39 pm »
there is a whole series of Dy class ships on a chart somewhere. It would be kinda cool to see them all if thats what your suggesting by doing the whole series of them. I love some of the older ships like bonaventure and wasp, so I'll be watching your stuff for sure. And for being low poly, thats a good lookin DY.

intermech

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »
Ex-Astris-Scientia.org has some good DY designs. The first entry has a speculative chart:

http://www.treknology.org/dy.htm

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
Doing a bit of reading, Khan took a prototype ship around 1996, so a production version of the ship in the Trek timeline would be somewhere around 2000 or so, which would make the ship part of the "secret program" done from reverse engineering alien craft (again according to what I was reading).

I thought the explanation was that Kahn was retconned from the 1990s to the 2050s.

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:43 am »
Can anybody help with a problem I am having. I am no longer able to open the file, I was finishing off with a render last night and when it got about half way through it crashed, I had to turn my laptop off and then back on and when i tried to load the file i got the error message shown.

"File open failed!"

Then 3dsmax opens but with no model.

Im using 3ds max 2012 student licence.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »
File probably got corrupted. do you have a previous save to try?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 03:10:29 am »
I do, but on that version I had barely started the model.

Edit:

I am moving onto another DY Project in the hope that someone can fix my max file for me  :-\
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:54:20 am by BOxSee »

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: BOxSee - DY1200 [Feasible Modified Concept]
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:10 am »
DY-1200

Circa: 2160
Length: 263m

Refs Used:  http://images.wikia.com/stexpanded/images/5/5a/Dy-class_chart.jpg   &     http://www.treknology.org/dy-1200b.gif

So considering the NX-01 was released in 2151 I have decided to use the designs I have seen for the DY-1200 as a better starting point for the DY class of ships, I am going to make this with more polies as this is more of an experiment if you like. I would like to build some early klingon, Romulan, Cardassian and Dominion ships in this era too.

Although the DY-1200 design I am using is 2160, I am going to push it back to 2120 or so. That would make the development more believable.

If you look at the comparrisons in scale and deck height below you will see that this design has a huge amount of potential.

New render background was shown here and I liked the idea: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163392372.0.html

After building the DY-100 and looking at your comments, I followed the links you presented and this design fitted the time line the best in my opinion, and also looked the most feasible.

Should the DY-1200 be the DY-100 with the release of Enterprise and the timeline it threw out?    -   I like that idea  ;) im sure most of you wont  :knuppel2:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:53:23 pm by BOxSee »

Offline BOxSee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: BOxSee - DY1200 [Feasible Modified Concept]
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:24 pm »
Looking at the NX link again, the dome deflector area seems wrong, so a traditional style deflector is not too much of a push.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:53:37 pm by BOxSee »