Topic: Does having a Facebook account lower your IQ?  (Read 22826 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Does having a Facebook account lower your IQ?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 03:10:49 am »
It's gonna be interesting to say the least, on the Social Media front. Esp. now that Google and Motorola are in cahoots. I can see them really pushing a mobile version of Google Plus.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »
Now wait a second, that was long before Facebook was even thought of! Like back in the "I'm gonna Eat Dirt, if the next patch isn't out" days.

I'll have you know, My IQ was low , looooong before Facebook!

Stephen

But had it bottomed out yet?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »
Now that it is publicly traded the major shareholders can pressure for unlimited data mining for profit. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »
Now that it is publicly traded the major shareholders can pressure for unlimited data mining for profit.

Its normal is it NOT?  I dare anyone to tell me that Dynaverse  has not USED data from members to enhance or embarrace the theme?
 Data shared can make one theme worthy  as SFC one must share that data or it will be lost in global corp data.
 Tec and theme whatever data is either shared or riped thats the code of # $

I Dare say its time for the puplic vote for the issues thats needed not the wanted!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:47:04 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:57 pm »

Its normal is it NOT?  I dare anyone to tell me that Dynaverse  has not USED data from members to enhance or embarrace the theme?
 Data shared can make one theme worthy  as SFC one must share that data or it will be lost in global corp data.
 Tec and theme whatever data is either shared or riped thats the code of # $

I Dare say its time for the puplic vote for the issues thats needed not the wanted!

Do you think that Dynaverse is making profiles of its members data to sell as a profit making venture? 

I expect that Facebook will end by grouping together people by profiles into lists and selling those lists and the associated data to other companies.  The data is not theirs it belongs to the people it is about. 

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:32 pm »
A man accused of actual bodily harm made the national new in the UK last month. During his trail he boasted on his Facebook account that he figured that he'd "Got Away With It".

Unfortunately for him the court saw his Facebook "confession" and he had to change his plea to guilty.

That evening, the day before sentencing, he added more to his Facebook page by insulting the judge presiding bover the case.

The next day he had to appologise to the judge and the court. His lawyer asked for some leniency over the contempt of court charges as his client was, quote, "thought process challenged", which is the politically correct expression for extremely thick and retarded.

I think that this recent event proves the question posed by the thread....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 02:11:04 am »

Do you think that Dynaverse is making profiles of its members data to sell as a profit making venture? 

I did not say that ! But data has been used to enhance or filter , whatever its used without the knollage of the members!
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 02:27:17 pm »

I did not say that ! But data has been used to enhance or filter , whatever its used without the knollage of the members!

Which is totally different from selling it to 3rd parties without your knowledge or consent. 

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »

Which is totally different from selling it to 3rd parties without your knowledge or consent.

My issue is not the sale but the collecting of data in it self?  Its not hard at all to ask members about the quality or whats wanted for a web site other than that its privacy issues !  But is there is a legal reason or a goverment issued to force that data to be collected and saved ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:42:33 pm by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 10:33:25 am »
I finally thought of a reason to like Facebook.

The more other people use it and companies use it to check up on potential employees the better chance those of us who don't use have of getting the job.   After all most people on Facebook reveal their true selves to their detriment.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 10:58:23 pm »
I finally thought of a reason to like Facebook.

The more other people use it and companies use it to check up on potential employees the better chance those of us who don't use have of getting the job.   After all most people on Facebook reveal their true selves to their detriment.

Companies have used this for many years why complain about face book when your own email alone is the same being looked at! 
Time for life!

Offline Blyre

• Assistant to The Man
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 01:05:19 am »
Good Lord, that's dumb.

Yep, it's me doing the Blyrezilla routine where I appear out of nowhere, stomp across the city, and then disappear back into the nothingness that spawned me.  I hope everyone's doing well and I'll try to come around more often.  ;D

Wallace "Blyre" Cass
Political Correctness: helping losers feel better about themselves since 1986 ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »
I just found another example of the stupidity of Facebook users.  I'm at a public library and this guy is talking about how unreasonable his father is being.  Why is his father mad?  Because he sought help from a publicly gay guy on facebook for his father who was still in the closet.  Now anyone searching his name online will find he is gay.  Way to go son out your father to the world in the name of helping him.   :screwloose:

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »
Really the answer to this question is no... its just that we now know that the IQ of the average human is much lower than we anticipated.  Shine a little daylight on things and you'd be surprised at what you see.  Facebook is just a lot of daylight.  Our technological advancement is by leaps and bounds surpassing our mental advancement as humans, and in some cases, the technology is holding back our mental advancement.  Instead of doing basic addition, subtraction, even some multiplication and division in your head, everyone today seems to need a calculator.  Now with the development of things like the Google Glass, how long until people no longer even have to go to the trouble of remembering names, and birthdays?  As a society we're dependent on this technology, I wonder how many people wouldn't even be able to find their way home from work without a GPS now?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 12:57:56 pm »
A couple of years ago I had to argue with a truck driver over a delivery he wanted to make to my employers.  We weren't the correct location but his GPS said otherwise.  He didn't want to accept that someone working here knew better than the GPS.  I bet he has a Facebook page ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »
At my former employer one time we shipped a product out and the next day it came back on a different truck.  I had a hard time getting the driver to understand that on the paperwork we were clearly the origin point not the destination.  When he finally did get it he asked the question "Where is Finland".   He had a hard time with that answer too. 

Why are the stupid immune to the pain they cause? 

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
Not facebook, but these idiots decided to basejump off the freedom tower, and then post it on youtube.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140325-base-jump-arrests-one-world-trade-center/

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 04:00:59 pm »

Why are the stupid immune to the pain they cause?

Reptilian thinking has served crocodilians well for eons. It will continue to serve all those enslaved by it.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:40 am »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26847366

I'm pretty sure these guys had Facebook accounts. A blow torch on a bomb casing that they weren't postive was deactivated? Seriously?

Seven dead as war bomb explodes in Bangkok scrap yard

At least seven people were killed and 19 injured when a suspected World War Two bomb exploded in a scrap metal warehouse in the Thai capital, Bangkok.

Construction workers found the bomb and sold it, believing it was inactive.

Warehouse workers used a blow-torch to take the bomb apart and detonated it in the process, reports said.

The massive blast destroyed the shop and created a large crater. It also damaged nearby houses and started a large fire.

Thai police said that five people died at the scene.

"The warehouse workers thought the bomb was no longer active so they used a metal cutter to cut into it, causing the explosion," local police chief Virasak Foythong told the AFP news agency.

Police bomb squad chief Kamthorn Auicharoen told the Associated Press news agency that it was "likely this is a bomb dropped from a plane during World War II".

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:43 am »
Or, there are just stupid people out there.  :laugh:

Hey, did y'all know "we" have a FB page?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DynaverseNet/153228018072175?ref=br_rs
Does this lower all of our IQs?