Topic: SFC2 models in SFC1  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Spock1989

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC2 models in SFC1
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »
Is it possible to use SFC2 mods in SFC1 if not is there a way to convert SFC2 to SFC1?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: SFC2 models in SFC1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:48:57 pm »
I don't believe so even though they are both on the same game engine.What would the Mods be?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »
You ask two different questions, clarification is needed.

Subject Line: SFC2 models in SFC1.   Yes, they can be converted to SFC1 just as 1 can to both 2 and 3.

Is it possible to use SFC2 mods in SFC1?      I don't know, depends on the mod. See Age's reply.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:25:16 am »
This has been discussed before, if I remember correctly:

SFC2 Models are usable in SFC1, they are essentially the same model, except the SFC2 models have Light Maps (for the Nacelle glow, deflector, running lights, even windows) that are incompatible with SFC1.  Theoretically you can remove the Light Map from the model and it can be used in SFC1.

As for Modifications:  They would need a considerable re-write to work between the platforms, it's not impossible, but extremely time-consuming.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
SFC2 .MOD files will point to the self-illumination channel even if there's no texture and that'll crash SFC1 down to desktop.  Bang.

You have to pull it into gmax, 3dsMax, or anything that lets you edit the .MOD file and remove the self-illumination channel, then save the resulting .MOD.  That'll let it work in SFC1.
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »
...and remove the self-illumination channel...

Is there a guide to doing this in 3dsMax? Import EaW/OP model, export and load in SFC1 I can do, but can't figure out how to remove the light maps without stripping the main texture mapping as well and ending up playing with an untextured model. I feel like I'm missing the obvious.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »
SFC2 .MOD files will point to the self-illumination channel even if there's no texture and that'll crash SFC1 down to desktop.  Bang.

You have to pull it into gmax, 3dsMax, or anything that lets you edit the .MOD file and remove the self-illumination channel, then save the resulting .MOD.  That'll let it work in SFC1.
That is what I was thinking is the .Mod file as well the damage textures.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:35:07 pm by Age »

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 08:43:29 am »
So is there a way to do it for novice?  :smackhead: :crazy2:

Offline Spock1989

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:44 am »
I got milkshape 1.8.4 and the corresponding plugins, i need to know how to remove the illumination channels with milkshape so i can convert SFCII mods to work in SFCI, is there a tutorial on how to do this?

yochenhsieh

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:17:40 am »
I got milkshape 1.8.4 and the corresponding plugins, i need to know how to remove the illumination channels with milkshape so i can convert SFCII mods to work in SFCI, is there a tutorial on how to do this?

You should do it with gmax. Milkshape cannot handle *_brk.mod so you can only convert normal model(*.mod). There are a few threads in the forum, see if you can figure it out yourself:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163388198.msg1122982326.html

I'll try write something about it, but please don't expect too much. Haven't write anything serious for many years....

Offline Spock1989

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:01:21 am »

You should do it with gmax. Milkshape cannot handle *_brk.mod so you can only convert normal model(*.mod). There are a few threads in the forum, see if you can figure it out yourself:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163388198.msg1122982326.html

I'll try write something about it, but please don't expect too much. Haven't write anything serious for many years....

No problem, i dont like .brk models anyway, i like the explosion effect any way.(I like to think the enemy was blown to oblivion!!)

yochenhsieh

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:18:53 pm »
This is a very rough guide, you can just reply here if you don't understand any steps:
https://sites.google.com/site/sfc3rex/Home/guides/gmax_1

I use gmax since I no longer have legit milkshape install. Gmax is freeware. ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:31:24 am by You-Cheng Hsieh »

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 04:35:53 am »
Man it's always something.  :banghead:

So I follow the link, download, install, launch and register gmax...no problem, it loads fine.

Then I download the plugin file and as soon as I drop winmm.dll into the gmax folder I get this error when I try and launch the program, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Remove winmm.dll from the gmax folder and it goes back to opening just fine.

Any idea why?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

yochenhsieh

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:12 am »
Man it's always something.  :banghead:

So I follow the link, download, install, launch and register gmax...no problem, it loads fine.

Then I download the plugin file and as soon as I drop winmm.dll into the gmax folder I get this error when I try and launch the program, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Remove winmm.dll from the gmax folder and it goes back to opening just fine.

Any idea why?

Where did you download the sfc3 gmax plugin?
I tried the file on my site, it works fine. You can try download it again:
https://sites.google.com/site/sfc3rex/Home/tools

I wrote a shorter guide for MilkShape3D here:
https://sites.google.com/site/sfc3rex/Home/guides/ms3d_1
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:31:06 am by You-Cheng Hsieh »

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 03:09:25 pm »
Yeah got that one, but downloaded it again...same thing.

Got the one from http://www.gamefront.com/files/11317254/SFC__MOD_Gmax_plugin ...same thing.

Just have to accept the universe telling me to sod off I suppose.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,